Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Champions League Draw
Matt (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Can't see this anywhere so here is the draw. The quarter-final ties will be played on 5/6 and 12/13 April.

Quarter-final draw (5/6 and 12/13 April)
Real Madrid CF (ESP) v Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG)
Chelsea FC (ENG) v Manchester United FC (ENG)
FC Barcelona (ESP) v FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) v FC Schalke 04 (GER)

Semi-final draw (26/27 April and 3/4 May)
1: Inter/Schalke v Chelsea /Manchester United
2: Madrid/Tottenham v Barcelona/Shakhtar

Final (28 May, Wembley)
Winner semi-final 2 v Winner semi-final 1

Mouth watering stuff!

So if matches go to form (they so rarely do at this stage) we will see a Madrid v Barcelona semi. The winners of the Chelsea Man Urd match must think they will have the easier route to the final.

My prediction Barcelona v Chelsea in the final
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Hmm, I have this feeling that Shaktar and Inter will win their ties. Hard to predict Madrid v Spurs and Chelsea v United though...
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Agreed
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Barca vs chelsea final would be awesome to watch
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
How about a true London finale Tottenham-Chelsea?
Eric (Manchester United) 3 years ago
+1 for this one.... Though there's no way. Tottenham beating Barca? I wish...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Nothing is impossible...
DEFENDtheBRIDGE (Chelsea) 3 years ago
The liverpool man should know!
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
To qualify from tie:

Real Madrid 67%
V
Spurs 33%

Chelsea 53%
V
Man Utd 47%

Barcelona 83%
V
Shaktar 17%

Inter 63%
V
Schalke 37%
If only Shaktar pulled a surprise...
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Why do I have a funny feeling BoboRed is Netnerd? Hmmmm anyways, I agree with you for the most part! - but I do feel Shaktar have a better chance than 17%, obviously Barca are a brilliant team and should win, but Shaktar are a solid team and could cause them more trouble than expected
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
Who is this Netnerd you speak of?

Anyway. It does seem that the footballing world is growing tired of seeing Barcelona whitewash everyone in their path, and I'd say the vast majority of neutrals will now be cheering for Shaktar!
We always love the underdog to pull a great surprise, a giant-killing moment
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I think shaktar are a team that could cause a shock, and its never easy playing at their place, I was glad man utd missed shaktar, the travellings a mightmare aswell.
I'm happy with the draw we got, and I'm quite confident against chelsea over two legs, provided we get a few players back for the first leg.
Chelsea ae no great shakes this season either, so I expect a tight match over both legs
Just curious, where did these percentages come from? Speculation or some complex computing from a damp basement?

Believe me mate, those stats will be exact, from a bookmaking point of view, and bookies give nothing away
I think spurs have a really good chance at beating real, they already beaten both Milan teams and I think the second leg at WHL will be a great match
After watching real for a lot of the season, and tonight again, I fancy spurs strongly to beat real madrid, I don't think they are anything special, and have struggled against lesser teams a lot of the season, so why not spurs?

Good luck tottenham
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
The thing about real madrid vs. Tottenham, is that jose mourinho knows tottenham and redknapp very well. I think tottenham will put up a good fight, but in the end, madrid will pull through.

As for the barca fixture, I have a funny feeling that shaktar may just pull something out of the bag. Barca has been off form recently, and has looked very beatable. Shaktar is brilliant in attack, and they are very good at pressing the ball - exactly the type of style that barca does not do well against. It will be interesting to see how this one goes
REDDevil98 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think people overrated Barca a bit too high, you never know if they could win or not, but over 80% just doesn't make sense, especially barca had a bad record against Shaktar, and the team have never lose to anyone at home for over 6 seasons now, If they put pass 3-0 pass Barca, I think Barca be in deeper trouble than anyone
I think Real has actually been amazing this season tony
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Barca v Schakhtar

Very interesting game. The tactics from both Coaches will defenitely play a part. I wonder what Lucescu's strategy and approach will be like.

Will Puyol recover on time for the Game, and be match-fit?

Radion (FC Dynamo Kyiv) 3 years ago
Oh well. On one hand this is the worst case scenario for Shakhtar but on the other this is a true test. I hope that 83- 17 is not gonna' be the possession stat, I will accept 60-40 and Shakhtar playing contra attack. Draw in Barcelona and 1 goal difference win at Donetsk would be crazy result. Ill put 50$ on Shakhtar, with those probabilities I can make a killing.
Inter if freaking lucky with the draw, so lets pray for Raul.
I can't believe that Chelsea has a higher probability, Man UTD in my opinion will take this one, unless El Nino wakes up and does something crazy.
Real vs Spurs, I really don't think that is is a correct probability, 50-50 at best and that's if you are a Madrid fan.
So my heart tells me :Shakhtar, Shalke, Spurs and Man UTD / My mind: Barca, Inter, Spurs and Man UTD
Here are my predictions:    -Real  -Chelsea  -Inter  -Barca
Jimmybreeze 3 years ago
Sticking your neck out a bit aren't you Zlatan? I'm kidding, you're just being realistic.
Prediction - Real Madrid/Man Utd/Schalke/Barcelona(Shakhtar to defeat the men from Catalonia over one leg). Although my opinion for the MU/C match changes every day. Can't wait
I'll go for utd, spurs, inter and barca
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I could def live with those four, Tony!
You treat it like its a no-brainer? I think utd and chelsea match is hard to predict (obviously, and that the only way to is going with your heart)
As I posted elsewhere:

Chelsea-United will be epic. A chance to take revenge for 2008.
It is a pity though that two English clubs were paired together.

The Spurs are stronger than Real from my point of view. Real is still a club in transition the Spurs have gelled already. I bet Van der Vaart can't wait to make Real feel sorry for letting him go.

Inter are meant to play all the Germans out there, but I am convinced that they love this draw. This is not exactly the best season for Shalke and despite their success in Europe, their domestic performance is more telling of their true form.

I'd like to see how Barca deal with the enthusiast guys from the East. But they know each-other well from the final of UEFA Super Cup of 2009. Barcelona won 1-0.

In the end, I predict: United, Spurs, Barca and Inter (while I don't mind seeing Shahktar cause some historic upset, it seems a bit unlikely).
Nevertheless, Barca should be worried about peaking too early and from the curse of being everyone's favorite team: remember Brazil 1982 or Holland 1974. It may mean nothing. Their win against Arsenal was far from glorious and their recent draw with Sevilla also proves they are human. And human fall at some point
" Spurs stronger than Real?! " how?
Real madrid should not be taken lightly, di maria, ozil, ronaldo and few others will be proven to be great players, but I agree spurs have a better defence and more depth in midfield. But it depends on the day what team is ready
Zlatan, that's from my point of view. I know Real are much stronger than the Spurs in paper, but so were Milan and Inter.
Real are a club in transition and their self-confidence in big games is still low. It is in Spurs' advantage that the second leg is in their home. I'd be very concern I were Mou
Anirudhkitt (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
I was gonna' post too, until you explained. I think so too, inspite of having a good team, I think madrid lacks the experience of playing big knockout stage matches. So I think tottenham madrid is 50/50. Lol (I'm a madrid fan)
Ronaldo and Carvalho have both won the Champions League. Casillas and Ramos won the World Cup.... And the Special One has won the champions league twice! So how can you say they don't have the experience of the playing in big knockout stage matches?

They have plenty of youngsters but Benzema has been around the block and should know a thing or two by now about the Champions League and Di Maria/Ozil have shown no signs of being undone by the big occasions.

Now that they got past the jinx of the round of 16 I think they have to be considered a favorite given the talent at Mourinho's disposal
No one can deny they are a top European club. But it is not their year. I can be wrong, but I don;t see it. I think they are still very vulnerable. Mou simply needs more time
I follow them very closely, defend the bridge. And you know how it is at madrid - they are always expected to win, no matter what. And the way I see it, the players are scared and nervous sometimes in the big matches and instead you need to be confident and fight out to the end.

I never said they don't have the players, I said they don't have the experience of playing as a team against top sides (aside from the la liga matches) because they havent been doing well in copa del rey until recently - so basically not very experienced at knockout matches.

Of course the team has potential and I have hope so lets see how things pan out
Spurs v madrid is gonna' be a classic, I can see harry rednapp winning both the away and home fixture, and I hope his players are ready for the real test now.

As for manchester united, its a fixture that is too familiar. I think its a matter of who has the better tactics.

Cloudst 3 years ago
Especially with Lennon and Bale on the wings it should be interesting but it's gonna' be an awesome game
I hope not, but I am more worried about lennon and vdv than bale. Marcelo has a tendency to forget his defensive duties but ramos has been very consistent in the big matches. Anyway it should be a cracking game
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
For our match I'd say we have the edge considering performances of late. As far as Madrid and Spurs go, it's a toss-up, and I just hope Tottenham are ready
Why always say Lennon and Bale? They may be very quick, but RM arent exactly slow. Di Maria, Ozil and Ronaldo are also all very fast, it could go either way.

And I think spurs have had enough tests, beating Inter and AC Milan isn't test enough?
I think real madrid are going to beat them. It's not going to be easy but I think real will advance to the next round
This is gonna' be an entertaining game as Real Madrid are in good form these days, and Spurs are having a great champions league campaign, they have quality players that can make the difference when a clear opportunity comes (Lennon, Bale, Roman....). Sandro has been playing good recently as well as the back 4. But will they manage to keep up with Madrid`s pace (Benz, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Marcelo)....
The Atmosphere at the Lane will be exclusive ^^
@Anirudhkitt I think ramos is also the kind of player who forget their defensive duties too lol

@AyyamS5 we Know Madrid is also fast too, but their problem is their full back, when both tense to focus on attack and forgetting when to defence, and with Spur having the fearless Wing they could some damage
Sergio Ramos can be dangerous and efficient when supporting the right flank, but defensively it is true that he messes up at times, commits fouls and gets booked. I remember in the classico how he defended (arms behind his back O_o) against Villa on Pedro`s goal (2-0), that was funny to watch ^^

Anyways, it will be an open game, I hope to see some goals
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It's Barcas to lose
Yeah, I can't see anyone beating them at the moment
Very true
Man Utd (knocked us out 2007/2008)
Inter (Knocked us out 2009/2010)
Barca (Knocked us out 2008/2009)

Hehe, if things go our way
Maybe torres can change things?
Torres and his 0 goals sure will help you
You never know.... even though its unlikely and it looks like he is jynx to score his first goal after bad mouthing his team so often
I hope he does so everyone will stop talking about it
So that mean Man Utd will knock Chelsea out again lol
Oh-Oh
Ronaldo out for three weeks with a hamstring injury! Looks to be a serious doubt for the tottenham match. Lets see what happens, but cannot say that I am pleased
Great.... *ahem* I mean Bad News >
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United Manchester United 1-0 Chelsea
Real Madrid 2-0 Tottenham Tottenham 3-0 Real Madrid(AET)
Inter 4-3 Shalke Schalke 2-3 Inter
Barcelona 3-1 Donestk Donestk 2-1 Barcelona

Tottenham 2-1 Barcelona Barcelona 3-0 Tottenham
Inter 0-0 Manchester United Manchester United 1-0

Barcelona 0-1 Manchester United
One potential game-loser for real madrid is Marcelo, he has deffo been on fantastic form, BUT, he leaves way, way, way, too much space, even for a fullback, and he is on the same wing as bale, hm, I wonder what mou will do? Possibly put ramos on the Left (if he can play there) and arbeloa at RB? Well its a tough one
Arbeloa is more composed than Ramos defensively. I would't be surprised to seeing him in the starting line-up for the 1st leg.

The battle in the midfield will play an important part in the game as well, Madrid don't want to concede a goal at home: Ozil, Xavi Alonso and Khedira will have to be accurate and sharp in challenges, ball keeping/passing situations
Yes, BUT Bale will threaten madrid alot, and marcelo will weaken them, so the LB position will lose or win the battle for madrid
I believe at home madrid will keep it clean, but I can't see them scoring againts spurs, and even if they do. They havent got a great away record in the champions league in a long time. They need something speacial, some one to motivate the side. And I don't think Ronaldo or Mourinho can do the job.

We`ll see how Madrid will overcome that home defeat last weekend, the pressure is building up for the merengue now. Which could be a good thing for spurs, who are gonna' start this game with confidence and a postive state of mind. If they keep sharp in defence throughout the game, they can keep a clean sheet.

I think Ronaldo can be deadly but Madrid don't work together well enough to beat the best sides. And Jose is getting fed up trying so I think there's a very good chance spurs could take this
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Ayyam, one thing.... The left winger of one team attacks the right side of the other team. So the Bale vs Marcelo duel won't be happening anyway
Is bale fit for the madrid match?
He`ll be playing, but I don`t think he`s match-fit to be honest.

My prediction for this match:
Real Madrid 2-0 Spurs

------------------Casillas--------------------
-Ramos - Pepe - Carvalho - Marcelo-

---------Xavi Alonso- Khedira--------------
----------------------Ozil-------------------------

----Di Maria - Adebayor - Ronaldo-----

Spurs:

--------------------Gomez--------------------
-Corluka - Dawson - Basson - Assou Ekoto-

------------Huddlestone--Modric-----------------
--------------------------vdv--------------------------
---Lennon-----------------------------------Bale----

---------------------------Crouch-------------------------
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Yes, but the same goes for Ronaldo though!
Chelsea.FC v .Manchester.United

This gonna' be a tight game. Both teams have been doing great so far in the Champions League, but one of them is gonna' have to go.
Chelsea`s home record against Man.You is pretty good since 2002, while Manchester only lost 1 away champions league game in 21 outings.
I don`t think there will be many goals, anyways here is my prediction for the 1st leg:

Chelsea 1-0 .Manchester United

Chelsea:

-------------Cech----------------
-Boswingwa- Ivanovic- Terry- Cole-

----------Lampard--Essien-----------
---Ramires-----------------Malouda--

----------Torres----Anelka----------

United:

------------Van der Sar-----------
-Fabio---Smalling-----Vidic----Evra-

----------Carrick--Scholes----------
---Nani--------------------Giggs----

---------Hernandez---Rooney----------

I'm just blown away by madrid, still expecting a spurs 5-0 at home perfomance.
I wasn't blown away by Madrid, I was blown away by the outcome lol. And I'll go for a 7-0 spurs win in the next leg
Spurs will come back
Well, I did not think tottenham did badly with 10 men, though I am absolutely sure, we would have done better against 11 of them, because they would not have defended with 10 people in their own goal and definitely left more spaces
Please tell me your kidding
I aint
I think that home defeat against Sporting 2 weeks ago was a wake-up call for Real Madrid. They're hungry for glory now
Second Leg:  Manchester United 1-1 Chelsea  Shaktar 2-0 Barcelona    Tottenham 4-0 Real Madrid  Shalke 3-0 Inter
Thanks for the vote of confidence, although I must say that I am happy that marcelo was able to prove a few wrong, albeit against a 10 man side
Thanks for the vote of confidence, although I must say that I am happy that marcelo was able to prove a few wrong, albeit against a 10 man side
Its not that I hate madrid. I actually want you to win the league and the cup. But in the champions league I want all the english teams to do well jst to prove how good our league is. So ya. Your most prob gonna' go through but don't count spurs out
Second leg

Man Utd 0 - 1 Chelsea (we lose on penalties because frankly we're so horrible its not even funny), Shaktar 2 - 4 Barcelona, Tottenham 1 - 3 Real Madrid, Schalke 4 - 2 Inter.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football