Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Celtic And Rangers Want To Play In The Premier League
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Two leading Scottish football clubs - Celitc Glasgow Rangers - they are seriously interested in the English premier league appearances - admitted executive director Peter Lawwell Celts.
The Scottish league there are only two clubs that can actually fight for the championship of the country. Its Celtic and Rangers. Their level of sports is significantly higher than the other. In the current economic conditions, the income from television rights are an important source of support teams, Scottish league is not so attractive to funds transferred two teams that are proportional to the effort. In the Premier League, the situation is far more beneficial - Lawwell said, quoted by the BBC.
He added that both teams are currently in a strong financial base that will enable them to face Premier League clubs. He emphasized that the performances in the English league would have been shocking at the beginning of the Scottish fans, but the term would lead to the development of the football league in the country.
From our perspective, it is quite natural that the two top Scottish clubs in the league would have played stronger in terms of sport - consider Lawwell.
Case of any transfer of Celtic and Rangers to the league will be presented to the authorities of English Premier League in November.

I think it would be a good solution. English league was stronger and would have allowed the development of football Celtic and Rangers. But I doubt that the authorities of the premier league it agreed. Once this idea has already been examined, but found no support. Maybe this time will be different. We will see in November
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well I can not see Scottish teams, especially these two, playing in the Premier League. Although, it is possible because we should all think about the two Welsh teams in the Championship - Cardiff and Swansea. So, it could happen, but I thought the Prem was sticking with 20 teams. If they join, and I'm sure you could work out this, there would be twenty-two teams. But there'd be more spice and edge to the matches. If tehy join soon we'll be having a "big 10" instead of a big four, with all the money been spent and etc etc. But I don't think they'll come. The Scottish league would be boring without and Old Firm Derby and it just wouldn't fit in
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Celtic and rangers players/managers must be getting bored of winning all the time. They have no competition. Hearts does alright every now and then but no one can pry the title from those two. I think this is a good idea. Could shake up the epl a little bit and bring something new to the league. Would be very interesting to see how they would do
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think you entirely underestimate the fanbase of these two clubs and scottish football in general. First, you should know that celtic have been recognized time and time again for there huge fan base around the globe as well as there nomadic fans which follow the club all over Europe! For this reason I think it would hardly be a problem for them to make the trip from Glasgow to London. Second, you should be aware that scotland has the highest number of consistent viewers of football per capita in Europe period. Also, when you look at how celtic and rangers have consistently qualified for the champions league and uefa cup it is obvious that they have a fighting chance at holding their own in the EPL, especially compared to the teams who are consistently bottom/middle of the table. The way they were theoretically planning on bringing in the old firm is starting them in the english championships and seeing if they can break their way into the EPL. I say who cares about the SPL i've noticed celtic and rangers fans only have european football and the old firm match to look up too and everything else is a monotonous 3-0, 3-1 win
I don't see what your dissagreeing with me on. You say they have a great fan base, I never said they don't, you say they could do well in the premiere league, I said they could do well in the premiere league, you say that the old firm dominates the spl, I say the old firm dominates the spl. So what exactly are you dissagreeing with me on? If anything we have the exact same views
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Sorry I was disagreeing with Riggs below us lol
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I like the idea but I see a large number of pitfalls.

Cons

-Increased travelling distance. I know scotland is on the same Island, and united fans go from london to manchester every other week , but some fans may be disheartened by seeing cetic or rangers away. Glasgow is more than twice as far as manchester from london. Fans of Rangers or Celtic would have huge distances almost every game.

-Why should they get to start in the premiere league when ever other team has to work their way up? Not to mention two teams would have to go down to accommodate them and I don't think any teams would volunteer for that. Nor would many teams deny the opportunity for promotion from first division.

-As Yogan mentioned it would crush the scottish league. Only reason anyone watches scottish football is to see celtic or rangers, or both. (well, not the ONLY reason.) Even if the FA decided it would be alright I doubt the scottish FA would be in favour. Not to mention support for celtic/rangers may even go down after they go from being top of the table teams to middle of the table. And if rangers and celtic get in, some other scottish teams may feel very left out, and could very well make an argument for their own inclusion.

Heres my solution. EPL trades Portsmouth, Wayne Rooney, and a couple of tools (hammers and nails type of thing,) and scotland hands over celtic and rangers. They would be crazy not to take the deal.

Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think it would add another dimension to the League, but no way can the just start off in the premier league put them in the Championship first are even League 1.
The atmosphere in Glasgow stadiums is fantastic and will make up for the traveling problems
Good point about starting them in the epl. No team would ever say "alright since your the old firm we're gonna' give up bucketloads of money so you can have fun in the premiere league in our place. " they would have to start in the championship or league one and even then there would be no teams volunteering to go down for them
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
It just wouldn't work logistically or morally. Until the day that some form of European Super-League is announced and all the giant clubs from around the continent decide to break away from their respective countries I just never see it happening. Not that this is a solution that I ever expect to see in my lifetime as it also wouldn't work.

And if they were to join I'd like to see them in the Championship first. That's about the standard of the league they're in now!
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
I actually like this suggestion. If Celtic and Rangers come to English Premier League, there will be real fight in the Premier League. Premier League would grow to become more interesting and exciting. So that some of the people in La Liga would not say La Liga is better than EPL.

But I don't think it will come true, only if England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland and Wales considered themself as UK again. Then, all the 5 leagues will merged as one league and becomes UK Premier League or something? Never mind, just my rough imagination
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I really like the idea. They do constantly dominate the Scottish League, but it would be unbelievably difficult to make the transition. They would have to start in the Championship as mentioned above, which I doubt either would be happy about. Maybe if the leagues traded teams or something along those lines.

I don't think the distance would be a big deal for away team fans. For instance, look at college and NFL football in America. There are always a sizable representation of the away team fans in the stadium. I believe that the extra little bit of distance wouldn't pose much of a problem. However, the mountain of difficulties to pull this off make this an unlikely proposition
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I am not for this idea. In Belgium, there is already talk of making Belgian league and the Netherlands together. We have no identity, more league staff.

It would be great for Celtic and Rangers go into Premiership. But then the scotish league will still be lower. The scotish league will die without them. If you gather the strongest teams in league together, we will have a greater gap between small clubs and big clubs.

In a few years, many big clubs and managers would have a European league including all the top clubs of Europe! Small clubs will die because then more people would be interested in them
Good point. The scottish league would suffer tremendously. This may also open the door to a europian super league which I'm sure most people are against. I think you may have just swayed my oppinion
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
I think this idea will completey make the Premier League complicated!
If Celtic and Rangers do get in the English Premier League, will the number of teams be kept at 20? Or will it increase to something like 22 teams?
Are Celtic and Rangers both guaranteed to go straight into the English Premier League.... Won't it be unfair for the teams in the Championship?

I like the idea, but I can't see it happening, at least not for a few years
Lfcalan (Liverpool) 4 years ago
It would be great but I don't think the ENglish teams would want to travel all the way to Scotland to play a EPL match. Celtic and Rangers are doing fine in their own league.... Hehe!
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
1 potential problem as previous pointed out would be no teams that has just been promoted would be willing to give up their place in the EPL. Maybe the only way is to enforce Celtic and Rangers join in the Championship play-offs?

And truth is it'll indeed be a step up for Scottish football. Just like what it did for Australia when they join Asian Confederation. However. The dark side of the deal is that though Rangers and Celtic are good enough and rich enough right now, if ! And if they couldn't sustain any championship challenge or top 4 challenge, and subsequently losing out the monetary rewards from playing in Champions league, I think it'll take less than a decade for them to be branded no better than a Totterham, Villa, or Everton (In actual fact, I can't see them as superior to the teams i've just mentioned.), and being lost in midtable obscurity. That - Celtic and Rangers has got to wonder if it is worth it to play in EPL.... Afterall, isn't money they're after?
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
As a Rangers fan, very, very tough choice.

If Celtic/Rangers did join the EPL or some sort of European League, the quality of opposition would benefit the club as well as more profitable sponsorship + TV deals. Currently, 20th place in the EPL earns 15x more than the SPL champs in TV revenue which is ludicrous.

Although it would come at the expense of the rest of the SPL, which I don't want to see lose out by not benefiting by the "trickle down" (pains me to use this expression) effect from the Old Firm in terms of cash and quality. It would merely peter out into obscurity and maybe 1 Europa League spot would be contested by Hearts and Hibs every year
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I like the Idea Welsh teams can do it so why can't Scottish teams, I also think it will be benificial to the SPL in the long run
Youngy (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
I think its ok due to the fact it might give the other SPL teams to have a stab at the title but celtic and rangers will ave to start at the bottom
On3two (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Even though Scotland and England are neighbours and they have a very similar league, I think it would be a bad idea to have them join the Premier league. Their reason because it would give them more competition is valid but soon enough you will see teams like Barca and Real Madrid looking to do the same in their league. It is hard to make a change like this and then stop anyone else from looking at the same change. In my opinion this is the reason why competitions such as the champions league and UEFA cup are available, it gives a chance for top teams to play other teams and take a rest from their own home league
I doubt that barca and real madrid will ever want to leave la liga. They get their money from tv rights. Celtic anf rangers don't. But you are right this may open the door to a european super league which I really do not want to see
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
LOL. On3two, competitions such as the champions league and UEFA cup are not a rest for top teams to play other teams from abroad. I can safely say if the UEFA champions league is not so financial rewarding, few teams would bother nowadays. It actually adds on a toll to the teams fatigue levels by travelling and playing 2 games in a week - midweek of champions league game and weekend of league actions

Kick4Life - changing lives through football