Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Can You Make A Tackle In The Premiere League Anymore?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
Two footed tackle, feet off the ground, studs showing, win ball, not win ball, catch the man, missed the man = red card
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I know that two footed tackles always had the potential to be red cards, but it used to be about 50% of the time in the past. If you won the ball, then it was "ok".

It seems to be a fairly recent development though that anyone doing it gets a straight red card. Perhaps it wasn't made utterly clear to the players this season that even if you win the ball two seconds before you hit the player, its still a straight red card.

Regarding Kompanys red, to the letter of the law it was a red card, but if that same tackle had happened even three years ago, it would have been play on. Nani didn't even realise it was a foul, and had turned back to try to get the ball off Kompany

FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
It shouldn't matter (shouldn't be a foul) if he manages to win the ball though. That's something I wish they would change in the rule book
It looked a great tackle to me
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Here's two tackles involving the same player, Jay Spearing for Liverpool.

One is a sliding tackle by him, and resulted in an instant red card. Most pundits and ex footballers agreed it was a clean tackle

The other is a tackle against him, where the other player (Cabaye) wasn't even booked because he didn't slide.

The bottom line seems to be "Don't bother sliding any more"
To tell the truth and be as honest as I can be, spearings tackle looked decent until the point where both his feet were off the ground and his studs were showing, for that I understand the red card decision.
At first glance it looked like spearing tackled cabaye. On the replay I saw the lunge and the referee who looked in a good position should have sent him off
Wesblitz (Manchester City) 2 years ago
I don't completely mind player safety but refferees handing out reds to make their day just doesn't cut it(only kidding, but I have a point). The word 'softer' has come up on the players in this thread. Players are often found throwing themselves on the ground to get the call. I do not think you call that softness on the players side because they are just trying to get their team the ball. In all fairness I think footballers in general can be considered tough. Every once in a while a player will get hammered with the ball and walk away, yet their is more often the times a players decides to hold his head to try to make a point with the ref. Anything to get rid of the flopping. If the player, refs, managers, and the rest of the footballing community can come to a conclusion on flopping, tackles will be more consistanly called. Then I believe, football would become more of a game with tough tackles. .... But for now: NO, it is very hard to make a full-hearted challenge in the premier league.

On a side note: it was just great(being sarcastic)how chris foy decided ronney's opinion was more important than the obvious one and ended our FAC chances

Just great
Luxinlazors (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Footballers are softer these days. Really ought to man up. They're finely-honed athletes, placed on strict diets and trained to be at their physical peak, yet one touch sends them sprawling? Come on. Bring back the tough challenges I say. But leave out the thugs like Cattermole and De Jong
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Yeah I agree that they have become much softer. I'd like to see less Ronaldo's and Nani's on the pitch
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 2 years ago
2012: the year of 10 penalties a game. Wasn't this game once a contact sport? Now, contact is a foul. Get up, and pick up your dignity with you
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
At least the best player is a good example. Always just gets up and gets on with the match
SrpskiCevap (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Same with Serie A. You touch someone, expect them to go down and get a free kick, it's like an unwritten rule in the Italian league to be honest. Of course every "rule" comes with its exceptions and since this is the unwritten one, fouls won't always be called. However, I think the Serie A players have just gotten used to it, it's just a regular routine for them. Officiating can be treacherous anywhere, and players will be looking to exploit that in any way, shape, and form, no matter what league they play in.
It's just become a natural part of football. As sad as diving, or "simulation" is, it's there.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to add or correct me, I really sleepy right now and I might've said something dumb but OH WELL
No man I agree with you, it is all over. And ya diving is for wankers haha
I was watching the match between Villa and Chelsea this weekend and Carlos Cuellar made what I thought was a perfect challenge on Didier Drogba. I love a good tackle and to me that was essentially text book, and not only was a free kick given he was booked as well. The prem is notorious and praised at the same time for it's physical play and crunching tackles, Jay Spearing caught a bad one from Cabaye, but the referee either didn't see it or was off his rocker. I didn't think it was THAT bad of a challenge, really poor and mistimed and, ya actually it was a fairly horrific challenge haha, but I don't think it was too malicious. I would have maybe sent him off if I saw it, but c'est la vie. Clean challenges are punished, Jay coming through the ball against Fulham was a clean challenge for me, and he was sent off.

You see clips from the prem in the good old days of Stevie G and Duncan Ferguson putting a hurt on somebody but winning the ball. Now it seems those are called back. Jack Rodwell's challenge on Luis earlier this season was clean as a 15 year old catholic school girl who follows all the rules. It's just sad because if I was a player I would be scared to go in hard on challenges, injuries are just as likely than if not more so than if you go in too hard.

I was watching footage of Eusebio and how Nobby Stiles marked him both in the semi final of the world cup in 66 and the European cup final in 67, didn't win the ball once from what I saw haha. But it was effective, there is something to be said about the art of tackling, or in Nobby's case knowing when to take down your opponent. Eusebio is a beast and he could take it. He was never booked, it's obviously a very different game now but I would like to see the refs in England keep the cards in their pocket more often. Than they can feel safer using the cards when they are deserved

Kick4Life - changing lives through football