Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Can Ukraine Really Co-host Euro 2012?
Devang (Liverpool) 4 years ago
After the past incident I don't think so...
MDK187 (ADO Den Haag) 4 years ago
If south africa can host a world cup I can't see a problem with oekraine cohosting a europian cup
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
After what everyone witnessed during the recent England v Ukraine match hosted by Ukraine I'd say that Ukrainian fans are not helping their chances. If UEFA had any doubts before about the kind of treatment away teams and fans will receive during games hosted by the Ukraine the England match is a scathing report card with a resounding mark of F
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
Those fire crackers thrown in the England v Ukraine game looked very dangerous.... They could have hurt the players or a fan....
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Something I am paying close attention to because I am intending to travel to the competition.

Sadly, I doubt there will be a sizable Northern Irish contingent travelling (unless we qualify) so blending into the crowd will be hard

Moving it to Scotland would be a lot easier though :^) (1 hour ferry crossing)

Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
I don't think it would be a great Idea to let ukraine co-host it because I don't even think anyone should co-host it cos I think there should only be one host!

Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
What would be wrong with it? Mayeb there would be a bit of violence but last time it was in Bosnia like Alen said. I don't see anything that bad about these two countries hosting it really
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I think UEFA's main concern is that Ukraine, as a nation, is too poor to build the stadia that they promised to have completed in time for the competition to begin safely.

My thoughts are that if the crowd could so easily get away with taking flares into the ground and then lighting them and slinging them wherever they wanted then the Ukranian FA need to tighten up their security measures. Had this happened in a British ground I'm sure we'd have been hearing a lot more uproar from all over the continent.

The English FA have been told that they have to be on top of crowd trouble and ground safety if they want to be considered realistically as potential hosts of World Cup 2018. Why should the Ukranians not have to be on their best behaviour now, too?
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
After seeing the farcical scenes in the World Cup Qualifying match between Ukraine and England last night it seems ridiculous to think that Ukraine will be co-hosting the next European Championships with Poland in 2012.

Uefa have been expressing their concerns over Ukraine's readiness and ability to co-host for more than a year now and in light of the incidents with the match stoppages last night due to flares being thrown at/into Robert Green's goalmouth and the alleged racial abuse of England's black players they have said that a final decision will be made in the coming weeks.

If Ukraine is not ready to host the tournament safely Poland would also lose the right to host it as they don't have the stadiums needed. The Scottish FA have confirmed that they are readying themselves to step in and host the tournament should they be called upon.

What do we at footytube feel about this?

I personally would love to see it in Scotland but I would feel for the Polish if they were to lose it due to the Ukranian shortcomings. However, the polish hooligans have risen to prominence in recent years and they will surely be relishing the opportunity to show how far they've come against the cream of European hooligans. Would moving the tournament to Scotland remove the possibility of trouble? Of course not but football-related violence there is nowhere near the extremes of eastern Europe at the moment

Kick4Life - changing lives through football