Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Can Leo Messi Become The Greatest Player In The History Of The Game?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
He certainly has the talent and the drive to be remembered forever. "El Mesiah" is already quite a legend and he is only 22 years old. I've never seen a player with such perfect control while maintaining such incredible pace, and still have the ability to see the entire field. When I watch Barcelona play I feel like he is involved in almost every attack, and though I haven't watched Argentina(en vivo) in quite sometime, in the 2006 world cup, whenever he was on the pitch, he was electric.

However talent is not what always gets people remembered. Maradona is etched into history, unfortunately because he cheated.... Then continued on in the game and scored one of the most celebrated goals of all time, beating England in the quarter final and leading Argentina to a world cup. Zidane infamously headbutted an Italian to end one of the absolute greatest careers the beautiful game has ever produced. Zinedine has a world cup trophy, a World Cup Golden Ball, Balon D'Or and three FIFA player of the year awards, incredible. Who knows if Messi can ever replicate that list of accolades, no doubt he has the potential. I am not trying to say Messi should try and reproduce the hand of god or Kung-Fu kick any fans, but he does have a feel for the big moment. He doesn't shy away from taking responsibilities or putting his team on his back and I think he loves being in those sort of positions. He lost his shoe in the UEFA Champions League Final while scoring one of the most brilliant headers I have seen in some time, and he is 5 6. Just legendary really. And if he were presented with such an opportunity as a penalty kick in a game something, say, like the UEFA Final I don't think he would miss it *cough* Ronaldo *cough* twice.

Of course he is only 22 years old, and his national team barely just qualified for the world cup by the skin of there teeth, but they qualified. And that means the best player in the world(in my opinion) will be in the best competition in the world, I am excited! He is young and there is Pele and Zidane and Best and Cruijff and the list goes on but it is excellent to watch a player of his caliber play football. His skills along with the efforts of his team will be broadcasted all over the world so that people can witness every touch. It is now the era of Messi and I can't wait.

Everybody has different opinions, we are talking about the greatest player ever, the debate will always go on. I think el mesiah could just grow into the greatest player that ever lived, but who knows. His 23 birthday may even be on a day Argentina will be playing a match, June 24th. All I know is that I am more excited for 2010 than ever. Messi is a big reason why
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
Theres no doubting he's a great player, I think ronaldo is every bit as good a player.
As for the greatest player ever, I think you need to watch some george best footage.... Heavier ball, bad pitches, guys kickin lumps outta' you.... And in the days when there was very few cameras at games, so what did we NOT see of george best.
Every game now which any top player is involved in is televised, so we get to see them on a regular basis.... Oh for sky sports in besties day, what footage we woulda had, and the same goes for pele, eusesbio, , all the old greats.... Technology too late I say.... Lol,
George Best is definitely one of the most talented footballers I have ever seen, and like you said I have only seen small clips of him on youtube, I have never watched a full match of his. Isn't there a movie similar to Zidane: a 21st century portrait but about George Best, the name escapes me at this moment though. That way I could watch a full match of his from a unique perspective not missing a touch, I should look that up.

Yet even with this revelation about the film, we will never see Pele and Garrincha and Best as much as we would have liked. I am sure the most brilliant bicycle kick of all time was some gem Ajax produced 40 years ago that only the people in the stands got to witness haha. Also the game is much different today, Messi is very well protected(sometimes) while old-school players just had to evade and get through harsh tackles. This being said, Messi is extremely strong and determined, I remember watching him in the Champions League finale, getting taken down by two United defenders, it was a blatant foul, yet Messi springs up with the ball before anyone else even reacts. The referee already blew the whistle but if he had been clever enough to play advantage, I think Messi was clean through. These are the moments that I adore so much about Messi, he has a heart, ability that most could only dream of, yet he remains completely humble
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Great point about messi's humility and dedication. He doesn't just go down when it may seem like the easiest choice. He stays on his feet whenever he can (yes he has dove, but what player hasn't these days). I remember him against real madrid at the neu camp. He was being torn to shreads by real defenders. Watch the highlights and almost every foul was on messi. Yet he was still the most dangerous player on the pitch, and I even remember the ref playing quite a few advantages for messi. He even got a goal at the end of the game (a brilliant one at that). Truely class player in my oppinion
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Messi is already the best and most beloved. It has everything to become a legendary player (maradona) To become a legend, he will win a title with Argentina, because every great player has to win a World Cup for his country. Then the people idolatry as zidane
So true. When a player as gifted as messi come from a nation so great in footballing terms as argentina, winning the world cup is a must for the "legendary status. " dump maradona and I don't think this is too far away
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 5 years ago
Personally I think not the game is so developed now that becoming the best in history takes something realy special altho he is one of the best I have ever seen of my generation it is still almost 50-50 with ronaldo. Also to be special you have to play for yourself and messi is too much a team player now and I think he would rather win as a team than for himself
Shouldn't being a team player be a good thing, as football is a team sport?
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 5 years ago
Yes I agree a team player is what every manager wants but to become the best ever you will have to score goals to be compared to the likes of Maradona and Pele and to take on a player or two than rather making a pass. Also to go against my point lol assists are probly second best for the posistion messi plays in I don't think he has assist ability of a xavi or fabregas but it all depends on his once retired carrer and see what he has won idividualy and as a team
Of course the player who shows that you can be considered to be up there with the best of em, without even playing selfishly, and thus changing the way people look at players, should really be considered the best ever. Maybe messi will be the one to do this (though zidane did it once already)
Didn't realize Tony was bestie7 till right now. Nice
Great point there by the way Blueskies. That's why I am so infuriated when people say Ronaldo is better than Messi, I can't believe it! Open your eyes people, Messi is one of the most unselfish players I have ever seen, yet he still scores loads of goals. Ronaldo is one of the most selfish players I have ever seen, to me there is no comparison between the two players. Messi is sublime.... Ronaldo isn't. I mean come on how can you not see that Messi's game is so far more advanced than Ronaldo's? All Ronaldo has is trick's and pace, Messi has vision, agility, deception, touch! Touch! Messi has the most amazing touch I have ever seen(besides Bergkamp and Zidane) and he is only 22 years old. Most of these players do not develop such a touch till they are something like 27 or 28, that's when players are supposed to be in their prime. Messi is 22! Oh the tragic proportions of this generation if Ronaldo is considered better than Messi, I wouldn't know what to do. Go around slapping people saying, wake up! Look at the Messi, he is a gift from god! And you disown him by liking a disgrace to the game! Haha just kidding, but I seriously would riot. It will never happen though, Messi is so much better that eventually even the ignorant ones will know his greatness over Ronaldo Viva Messi! Viva Leo!
Ajansspor (Besiktas JK) 5 years ago
Sd
Keong (Manchester United) 5 years ago
He will win the world player of the year for sure!
I hope so
Xterminator (Arsenal) 5 years ago
He is good but not the best
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Common.... I think you're talking about cristiano. Messi just gets more unstoppable, while ronaldo is getting moodier, lol
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I appreciate the length to which you have considered this post, but it's premature.

Any current player could become the greatest player ever, Rooney, Torres, Ronaldo, or even some random unknown player. Three years into a players career (I know he's been around longer, but for the last three he's been one of the best) is way to early to even consider something of this magnitude.

But I guess that's the nature of these forums, it's all about prediction and the unknown, if it was all known there would be nothing to write about. But still, revisit this idea in 6 or 7 years after he's been around a bit
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I totally agreed with Vonrasmussen.... It's kind of early to choose who is gonna' become the greatest player ever because there is so many talented players out there and probably more to come. But there is something that you said that is true though is it is excellent to watch a player of the ability of Messi play football but as we know football is full of surprises so the future will tell us
Yes it's premature, but that's part of the fun. Nothing wrong with making a guess, even so early on in a players career
Yes you make a good point and I knew it is early he is still only 22, but it is fun to speculate and there is obviously some reason why I think he could be or I wouldn't have made this forum. You are right though anyone could become the greatest player ever, one moment even one goal could make people think they are the best in history. Messi will obviously have to win at least one world cup if he is too be considered the greatest player in history, all the greats have(with the exception of Best, no disrespect to Northern Ireland but I don't think they had the skill around best to really compete in the world cup and Johan Cruijff, who reached the finals of the world cup twice and played for one of the best World Cup sides in history) Or at least it will make it easier for him, and people would be more likely to consider him the best, so he will have to shine in the world cup this summer. Then this discussion might have a little more merit, ya? Still I think right now, he is absolutely out of this world
Ltm017 5 years ago
I agree with you. I love Messi! Don't get me wrong and I think any day he is better than Ronaldo. I think he has great ability, however it is a little early to say that he will be the greatest. Potential is definitely there though we can't deny that. I like to watch and see and not call out to early cause things can change quickly.

Messi still the best though!
I love him too, I think he is the best. It is early to be considering him the best ever, but like you said he has the potential and his skill and talent and dedication are unmatched in today's game(this is only my opinion of course)
Ltm017 5 years ago
LOL.... And I like your opinion very much!
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I truly believe that Lionel Messi is one of the best player in the world firstly because he is extremely versatile. Being small he can weave through players with ease similar to Maradona. When it comes between him and the keeper alone, I have never seen him miss. Also his shooting from afar is extremely advanced however not the best. Lionel Messi is extremely good at passing as well. And in concluusion.... Lionel Messi plays for the team
Actually to be fair, messi has missed in quite a few one on one situations, but rarely in any big matches
Of course, no player is perfect everyone misses sometimes. Messi just misses less often then most, he is still not as clinical as say, Ruud Van Nistelroijj. But it is the versatility that Bloob is talking about that makes him so great. His passing, I believe, is some of the most developed in the world he can make the pass in the final third look so easy, and he brings his team into play better than most attacking players. His dribbling skills don't even need to be mentioned and his ability with his right is sometimes over looked because of the sublime touch he has with his left. It is something more than skill that draws me so much to Leo though, it is his desire and love for the game, things that are intangible and don't show up on stat sheets
Don't worry, I was just making it clear that messi actually misses quite often so as to keep this from being biased. I completely believe that messi is the best player in the world right now. Stunning talent
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yeah maybe I overdone it a little bit but still he is versatility and that makes him one of the best players
Oh yes, he really is one of the funnest players to watch
Ltm017 5 years ago
Lol.... So true! You see this little thing going through a defence and three four people trying to take him down. It is funny!
And at any moment, anything can happen when he is on the pitch
Stitches115 (Fulham) 5 years ago
Messi is absolutely one of the best in the world (in my opinion he is THE best). Of course there can be argument against this many people bring up ronaldo for example to be a better player than him. As far as I'm concerned if I had to chose between the two I would pick messi hands down. Brilliant football player and will definitely one day be called one of the greatest of all time.

Whether or not he will be called the greatest player in the history of the game depends on how the rest of his career goes (obviously). I think staying injury free would definitely help his case. I would not be surprised if people called him the greatest ever once his career is over and I hope that this does happen
Ya there's no doubt in my mind he is the best, but other people think otherwise(thank goodness) he is by leagues my favorite player to watch. Stevie G is a hero of mine and I love to watch him play so much, but he is no where near entertaining as Messi. Every touch he makes is just brilliant, I would take him over Ronaldo in a heartbeat, or Kaka or Torres or anyone else at the moment. Like you said it will depend on how the rest of his career goes but I think he definitely can go down as the best in history and I hope it happens too
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
It's hard, man. As Vonrasmussen said, we need to let time progress until we can actually say if Lionel is the best player of all time. It's hard to say anyway, because most people have seen Messi play live but not Pele.... Nice thoughts on it though you took your time with it
We will have to give it time won't we and I never have seen Pele live, or Cruijff or Kenny Dalglish so we might have to get some older people to make their claims for these players haha. But I, being of this generation will probably choose Messi if he continues developing at this rate
And in my oppinion, one needs to be more technically gifted now than ever before, since defenders don't just rely on brute strength like they used to. Its more about patience and tactics now, and its the players that can get past defenders who have gotten their tactics spot on, that are the greatest today. Hence I believe messi has a more difficult job now than cruijff did when he was playing
Personally, though I realize it is very, very premature, I believe he certainly has the potential to be one of the best players ever, if not the best. First of all, we all know just how tallented the kid is.... He can dribble though entires teams on his day (villareal anybody?). He isn't often given credit for his long shot, but that is because he rarely takes one, opting more often to keep possesion rather than risk losing the ball. When he does try his luck though, they are often absolute screamers (though usually they are an inch or two wide/high). He showed against manchester just how good of a header he has and has done this several times this season already. Overall, he has shown the world that he has adapted into a truly complete player.

The thing that really makes him capable of becomming the best ever however, is really the thing that makes him better than ronaldo in my eyes: his want, and ability to continue to learn. Recently he has been working on freekicks, corners, long shots, and heading. The last 3 we have already seen him improve on quite a bit, and has shown no signs of slowing down. Ronaldo seems content with his level of play to be honest. Messi on the otherhand, shows real improvements every season. If he keeps this attitude, and continues to learn from team mates at both barca and argentina, there is no doubt in my mind, that he can become the best player to ever grace world football
Great points Blueskies especially about the free kicks. I have always said this is the area of the game he needs to improve the most if he is to be considered the absolute complete player. All the greats took free kicks, Maradona, Zidane, Eric Cantona come to mind, now he can serve in a wicked service from set pieces, what he needs to improve on is taking free kicks on goal. This may go hand in hand with improving long range strikes, something that seems to be developing brilliantly for him(his second goal this year against, Espanyol? Was it) Maybe Pep can bring in Juninho when he retires to help Messi develop these skills haha. Anyways great post, you have very good insights
Actually I read an article somewhere that messi has been working very hard with the likes of xavi/dani alves to improve these aspects of his game. Xavi has apparently already been the main man responsible for his now great crossing ability from set pieces. I have no doubt that soon enough he will be a monster from any part of the game
Aliko (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Xavi and Messi are a deadly duo. The way how they play with each other is fantastic...
Xavi and Dani Alves are a great combination to help Messi improve in these areas. Xavi is brilliant at hitting it just right curving the ball over the wall and into the net, finesse. Alves likes to go for power and try and make the ball knuckle, both are very effective ways to take a free kick. If Messi can master one or the other, maybe even both he will be the complete player. I didn't know this thanks Blueskies
Well I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see him master both over the next few seasons. Like you said, he has terrific teachers
Pato7Nani17 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I disagree. I think CR9 is definitely working to improve. The reason you don't see as much improvement is because there isn't as many flaws
Over the last year I can't think of too many things he has improved on, and I'm completely dissagree with you when you say that he has few flaws. He rarely crosses, so I don't even know how good he is at that, he rarely sends a nice through ball to the attackers, and he isn't often seen too much in the build up of team goals. Overall, he's not the greatest team player. So he could certainly work on that. Messi is constantly seen improving. Last season we saw him step up and show more consistency than ever before. He also started taking corners and now we're also seeing quite a few headed goals and long shots from him. His passing is phenominal at this point but hasn't always been. Just look at some games that he played 2 years ago and look at his game now. Ronaldo, you would not see much difference aside from maybe less attempts at long shots
I agree, Messi is way more driven than Ronaldo, and remember that Leo is two years younger than Cristiano
Yea not too many people notice how young messi is because of how long he's been playing at the top levels of football. Loads of potential yet
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
No he cannot! He is missing many attributes that could make him that sort of player. He is good at what he does but not good enough to become even top 10 of the game. Ill be surprised if by the end of his career he is even classified a legend, imo he will get a bad injury soon which will keep him out for ages
Very optimistic and intelligent.... Haha do you want to give any proof as to why you don't think he has the ability to be in the top 10 of the game? Are you sure he is not already a legend, just ask a Real Madrid fan he always shines in the "el clasico" in legendary fashion. In your own opinion do you think Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player? In my own opinion he has far, far too much desire to let an injury keep him out for "ages"
Aliko (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Haha as if Messi didn't show us anything of his lovely playing he says that: No he cannot!
Haha
I didn't say he doesn't have the ability I said he is missing attributes that will make him a legend. I poorly worded the part about the top 10 in the game, by that I mean top 10 of all time.

Yes you know I think Ronaldo is a better player, as i've said 100's of times. ronaldo can do everything messi can do, messi can't do everything ronaldo can. that is my reasoning. Howeversaying that I don't even think ronaldo is the best player in the world. I believe that ronaldo/messi are 2/3 or 4/5 in the world.

And no offence but "he has far, far too much desire to let an injury keep him out for "ages"" that is one of the most rediculous comments i've seen, its got nothing to do with desire, if he's injured his injured he can't choose to play even if he has a broken leg or a pulled muscle
Ltm017 5 years ago
LOL.... Adamaus.... For some reason I was waiting for your reply and here it is. I really enjoyed reading that even though I don't agree because we all know how you feel about Messi.... And this great/greatest thing
Yes I understood you meant the top 10 of all time Adamaus, I just disagree, I think he can easily be in the list of the 10 greatest players ever, of course things like this are a matter of opinion.

I respect that you think Ronaldo is better, he is a fantastic player I would again disagree with you though. There are many things that Messi can do that Ronaldo can't and vice versa. Messi is much more reliable from the spot than Ronaldo is, Ronaldo is better at taking free kicks on goal. Messi is much better at getting his teammates involved and has a better understanding of how to breakdown defenses with small touches in the box. Ronaldo is better at striking from distance, and better at headers given his height. Messi, I believe, would be a fantastic captain, Ronaldo would be an absolute shite captain. Messi has many intangibles Ronaldo could only dream of having, and remember Messi is two years younger than Ronaldo.

And what you said about the injury, that's why I emphasized "ages" because you put it in that way. He will not let even a broken leg keep out for "ages" maybe half a year, Cisse and Eduardo were able to come back from these type of injuries. And Messi has shown that pulled muscles don't keep him out for very long. I just had trouble with the way you worded it saying ages like that, and like I said I think he has too much motivation to be out for more than a few weeks or months with an injury, and he has proven he is very tough and resilient too injuries.

By the way, if you're are trying to call someone ridiculous, you might want to learn to spell it for future reference.
Ltm017 5 years ago
I agree with you on that Rarimapirate. SOmetimes it just a difference of what people see, and that makes it all the more beautiful that we can agree to disagree about certain things.... And look at players differently....

Messi IMO is more well rounded. I'm here with time. In the next two three years we will definitely see who will be the greater of the two....

Oh totally, I think Adamaus comments are great because he disagrees with what I am saying. It is good for someone to have a different opinion and perspective it makes it more interesting and gives me someone to argue with haha. That's what makes the beautiful game so beautiful, every player has different skills and styles that make them effective or ineffective.

I agree that he, overall is more rounded and more skilled, time will tell like you said. This summer even could be very decisive, but yes the next two or three years will be very telling. Cheers!

Did you take that picture by the way, I think it's brilliant
Can we just agree that Xavi's playmaking abilities were stolen from god himself ?
I may not agree with your first post adamaus, but I have no problem agreeing with that statement
Yes we can agree on that haha
Ltm017 5 years ago
Or Better yet God decided to give him those great abilities!
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 5 years ago
Rari.... Nice try bro. Messi will be considered as one of the best.... But his total game is limited. He may end up winning more than anyone and scoring more than anyone, but I still think he will in the top 10 only. He will have to do some amazin' stuff in alot of Huge games over the next 10 years to be considered the best ever.... We shall see.... He just might do it!
Well he's on the right track. Goals against madrid since he's been at barca, second goal in the champions league (such a stunner) assisting the goal that sent them to the final, being top scorer in that competition, I believe he scored in the copa del rey final. No doubt consistency from season to season is a defining factor, but messi has the quality to do it
I hope he can, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pep apoint Messi as captain sometime in the near future. Then he will really have to prove himself as not only a fantastic player but also as a leader. He already seems to lead by example so I don't think t would be that hard of a transition for him, but who knows if he will ever be captain. I would show people the Copa del Rey game against Atletico Madrid in which he scored a hat trick if I could show them only one game to enlighten them about Messi. I believe it was on January 3rd, he scored a hat trick, and put one off the bar that would have been goal of the year if it was an inch or two lower. I think this video has every touch

Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Messi(22) can become the greatest player in the history game for sure but he has a long way to go, and he must be protect by referee when he plays....

Nowadays, when we talk about Messi, Maradonna is around: the comparison is an obligation !
Yeah they are much similaries between their way of playing !
Messi has to prove that he can be as good with Argentina as he used to with Barcelona !

To me, it's gonna' be hard for him to be : "the ONE", because we saw a lot of different players a beautiful one, Zidane, Maradonna, Pelé, Cruyff, Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo....
One thing is sure he will be part of "the football hall of fame" !
He definitely has a long way to go but he has everything he needs to do it. His play is absolutely Sublime and every time he is on the pitch it feels like your are watching something special. Of course there are players like this throughout history that have this same aura as Messi, and it is hard to say he could be better than all of them at this young stage in his career. But he is something special and unique, a gift from "dios" and I am going to enjoy every moment when he plays. When he is in his best form defenses are truly scared haha
Great post by the way Amayel
So true about his need for protection. The last thing we want is for him to turn out like el phenomino, who surely could have become the greatest ever had he not sustained so many injuries
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
I'm afraid about something.... !
At the end of the year 2009, Messi will surely win the "ballon d'or" and some other trophees !
He's only 22, I hope he will do his best to win again this trophee and do better than he did in the past !
Because look Ronaldinho, Kakà, [C.] Ronaldo after winning the "ballon d'or" they weren't motivate that much !
What you think?
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I don't think he'll lose his motivation at all. He has all the quality he needs to be one of the greatest of all time. However, he needs to learn how to lead his team, especially Argentina. They are struggling right now and desperately need a coherent, capable, and quality leader in the squad. Notice I said coherent, just a little jab at Maradona. Someone find the Argentine squad a new manager, please. If Messi can truly lead his teams, meaning be a powerful force in the locker room and on the field, and pushing them to victory then he absolutely can be the best there ever was. However, as it is now, he's far too humble and quite to be a true leader
I agree that he likely won't lose his motivation. He seems like the kind of player that always wants to learn and grow and become a better player, and that kind of passion for learning is what makes the difference between a world class player and a legend. Also I wouldnt doubt that he will one day be able to lead a team better since already players look up to him for that. He may not be gifted with those qualities, but I have no doubt that they will be forced upon him
Eric great point about him needing to become a leader. His modesty could be a weakness in these kind of things, but I believe he can become a great leader and furthermore, captain. I would love to see Josep give Messi the armband and see how Messi reacts to such responsibility. There is no doubt in my mind he has the motivation to continue improving and adding pieces to his game, and we know he shines at big stages(hopefully he will continue this trend in the world cup). Surely he will have to do great things with his national team to be considered one of the greatest to ever live, I believe strongly he can do great things with Argentina. In my opinion Maradona is holding Leo back from living up to his potential on the national team, but Messi has stood behind Maradona in the press with conviction so maybe Leo enjoys Diego. But that is the press, who knows how he really feels, I know I would want Maradona out if I was Argentine, he is ruining the team. I don't think his motivation will be a problem though Amayel if any thing holds him back it will be the pressure that comes with winning the Ballon d'or
Maradona just doesn't play messi wear he is best at. His tactics rely solely on lio, and so do the rest of the argentine players. Teams can place 3 men on messi and argentina still wouldn't be able to use the space because they are constantly waiting for messi, the player who's marked up so much that he can hardly ever get the ball, to win it for them. He needs help, and bottom line is, he's not getting it. Any player who led his team to a world cup title has had help, whether it be maradona, zidane, ronaldo, rivaldo, pele, you name it. They have all had help from their team mates. Messi doesn't have that at the moment and its truly hurting argentina's chances at glory
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 5 years ago
He is extremely talented and should win the ballon d'or this year, but I don't think he is in contention for best player of all time, the way he plays and with the team he has there is no way he can be considered the best player of all time. Because he is surrounded by amazing players who make and help him play well, if it wasn't for them then he wouldn't be as good as he is, none of them would be, it's impossible to hve a one man team nowadays. Back in the 70s with pele it was different because not everyone was amazing and he just stood out, it doesn't work like that anymore
Good point, and I agree completely that he is not in contention for the greatest player ever, yet. That's why I said can he "become" the greatest player in the world. He is still very very young and how he performs this summer will be a big indication of how his future will unfold. All the great players perform at their best in the world cup. In 2006 I thought Messi was one of the greatest players in the tournament and he was only 18 at the time. He always made an immediate impact coming off the bench, and became the 6th youngest player to ever score a goal in the tournament.

It is very difficult to compare a player like Pele to Messi, they play different roles in their teams and they are from different generations of football. You are right Pele was able to stand out from everyone else, but if Messi can achieve some of the things Pele did with these sort of players and competition don't you think it would make it more amazing? Pele played in three world cups, winning all three, something Messi will never be able to match, Argentina having already lost in the quarter finals of the 2006 tournament. Pele did receive some help in winning those three tournaments though, there was this kid name Garrincha who was pretty good too, haha, when he and Pele were on the field together for Brazil they never lost a match. And it was Garrincha who was more responsible for the title in 1962 because Pele was injured for the latter half of the tournament. The team in 1970 was pretty good too, but Pele, undoubtedly was their leader. I would hardly call that team in 1970 a one man team though haha, in fact I think Argentina in 2010 would be much closer to a "one man team" than Brazil in 1970, that is one of the greatest teams to ever take to a football pitch.

So though it is very hard to compare players like Messi and Pele, or players like Just Fontaine, who would probably be considered the best player ever(he scored 13 goals in one world cup without reaching the final) had he not gotten injured and played in only one world cup. You have to compare them as best you can though, and Messi still has his whole career in front of him remember
Even when pele was around, he was playing for one of the greatest teams in the world at the time. Sure he stood out, but brazil had many other great players at the same time. He was just the best of them all. Argentina is in the same scenario, however there is one difference. Pele's brazil all worked. Every player tried their best, and played their best which allowed pele a little bit of space. Messi does not have that luxery. Argentina is lazy right now and no player aside from messi has been really working to make a difference. Until argentina plays like a team again, I really doubt messi will win them a world cup
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Well, Maradona's not suited to be a coach, let alone the coaching the national team. The best Argentina team that was moulded out in recent years was by Marcelo Bielsa. That team has no stars, everyone gotta' work hard and run for the victories. However, having said that, in my heart I still hope Messi can turn on the magics and win the world cup next year
Yes it really would be nice to see messi turn argentina into a world powerhouse again singlehandedly despite maradona's lunicy
Thefc3 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
He is but with some more title he would be the greatest. This modern day age there is a lot of amazing players but not to many that can do what he is doing !
Good luck messi
Yes he is a special talent
Pato7Nani17 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
No, he can't even play with his right foot. Don't get me wrong he's a sick player but if he was right footed and used his left as much as he uses his right no way he would as good of player as he is today
Actually when he was younger, he appeared to be able to use both feet with equal skill, although he always favored his left. Now it appears as if he is mainly a one sided player though doesn't it
When he dribbles, he can use his right just as effectively. Though it may not be the same when he takes shots or crosses the ball
ZIDANE0510 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Yes, he can became the greatest player. I've never seen players with such fantastic dribble. I think he is greater than Maradona. Anyway, He is making a huge contribution to Barca and leading world soccer. He should win Ballon d'Or
Awesome Zidane0510, I think he is more talented than Maradona as well, he is still young though, Maradona did great things his whole life. No doubt I think Messi can eclipse Maradona's achievements, his play just has no limits.

Do you think he can be greater than Zidane? Zizou is a legend
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I agrees with Rarima on her stand. Maradona did ridiculous things most people can only dream of. And if you see even clips of what he has done- like taking on around 3 players almost everytime he has the ball, or scoring from corners and freekicks, overhead kicks, volleys at Zidane length.... It is really just NO limits!

But Messi really has talents and time ahead of him to achieve that and successes.
Well messi has already replicated many of what maradona can do. If you watch some clips of the two they really are almost identical
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Only 5 foot 2. But a whole world of talent.    I really think he can, well I hope....
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
He's 5' 7" you idiot LOL! But truthfully tell me who you think is better Messi or Ronaldo
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
Pause Ronaldo, and tell us in 2 years
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I don't think Rona;do is opened to being paused lol
Fantastic new picture there Sergio I like it a lot
Totti and De Rossi are legends
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Messi definitely can be a legend too. Ronaldo is good but not legend material just yet.... Maybe in the next 5 yrs
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
I agree with donnchadh.... Totti is a great player he contributed for his home club for more than a decade even though he is not surrounded by so good players. How many of the players are like that !
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Gerrard was and still is. So was Matt Le Tissier

Kick4Life - changing lives through football