Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Can Inter Milan Beat Barcelona?
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Arsenal gave them a run for their money but too many injuries to Arsenal and alas Barca are through. Inter have stepped up their game recently and with a healthy squad may have a chance. For me the difference is Barca can score from anywhere at any time. Inter play such a passive aggressive game that if they do win it will be by one goal or an away goal. Does Inter have the durability to take the title chance away from Barca?
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Inter can certainly win this. Especially when you have the mastermind of mourinho at it's helm.

Now the thing with barca is many are saying that they may possibly deserve to be the first modern team to defend it's champions league title. I don't agree with this. I do believe that messi deserves to be the first modern player to accomplish this feat. But barca hasn't been the same team as they were last season. This season they are beatable. This season isn't so. They just look slightly weaker this year. Messi has kept them in the race, no matter what anyone may say, almost all on his own. Now I know I'm gonna' get alot of flack on here for this statement, but I feel that barca's midfield has been slightly overrated this season. I only say this because many have attributed messi's success to the service he recieves. While he does get played in at times, what makes the man so good, and indeed the rest of the team as well, is the fact that when those through balls fail, that tic tac toe passing just can't break down the opposition, messi takes just another average pass and makes it look extraordinary with his ability to control it when others would send it right to a defender or be forced to play it back. It's that ability to take one of those passes that anyone could have done and turn it into something spectacular that makes barca so dangerous. Do they have other threats, of course. But you take messi out of the equation, and then fill up that midfield so barca can't play their game and I don't see them being able to take the tie. But of course, taking messi out of the game is no small task.

Ps. I was in no way saying barca's midfield is in any way shape or form bad. They are arguably the best midfield in the world. But they aren't quite as good as many attribute them to be
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I wouldn't use 'certainly'....

Judging by the previous two games that Inter and Barca played out, the tie would most certainly be decided in San Siro. Because unless Inter can kill the tie in Italy, it'll take a mammoth of an effort to take down Barca at their own ground. Remember they lost 2-0 previously?
I never said they certainly will win it, only that they certainly can. Just as west ham or bologna or bochum, or tenerife could certainly win against barca. This is football, and any team can win on any given day.

Now with the tactical brilliance of mourinho and the rock solid back line that inter had against chelsea, I don't believe this will be decided based on home or away results but simply by the better team over the course of the two legs
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I'm with blueskies. It is a stupid thing to say that either of these sides will absolutely win. Either can. I think Mouinho has the mind to outwit this powerful Barca offense, but Barca could still prove too elusive to predict.

So yes, Inter absolutely is ABLE. Not like if, just for example, a midtable EPL team like Everton somehow made it into the equation.... That equals absolute defeat
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Inter will win. I think they will edge out Barca on away goals. They have had such a smashing season, but so have Barca, but I still think that the Italains will edge it, on away goals. I think the first leg will be Inter 1-1 Barca and the second Barca 2-2 Inter
The thing some seem that I have spoken to are taking into consideration is the games played in the group stages of the champions league. Forget about those games. This is where it matters most. This is do or die. Inter has improved so very much since then and if anything I think that barca's level of play has fallen. These will be two totally different games with what may turn out to be two totally different outcomes. The nou camp is a hard ground to win at, but then again so is stamford bridge and inter got the result there. I think if mourinho can get his tactics right, inter has the quality to make it to the final. I just feel that it just might be their year if I'm honest
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Although Barcelona has better squad and is in more form than Inter, I think Jose Mourinho can put the team better in the field than Guardiola and I think that Inter will beat Barcelona and win the spot in the final
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Of course they can. Barca have becoming to reliant on Messi. And Messi can't perform against defensive minded teams. Or Physical Teams. And Inter is both. E. G last year against Chelsea in both legs or Manchester United in the Final he did nothing. (xcept the goal). And Inter can mark Messi out. They can kick him out of the game. Then they have the players to because Barca Problems. Like Sneider Etoo Milito Balotelli Cambiasso
While this is true for the most part, when messi is on, he's on and no matter how physical you are, you are not stopping him. Look at el classico earlier in the season. Real were extremely defensive that whole match and whenever messi got the ball he was constantly fouled (though the ref played the advantage most of the time since messi just kept on running with the ball) and yet he was still man of the match for me. Messi has improved alot over just this one season. He is not the same messi as the one that played against chelsea and manchester. He is much stronger than he ever has been and much more tactically aware as well. Overall he is just so much more well rounded. While I agree, he may be marked out of the game, I wouldn't count him out, el messiah could still come out with some tricks if he is on his top game
I think Morinho will do the same to messi as what he did to Dider Drogba. He will put Lucio and the Left Back and a defensive mid on him at all times. Then Inter will punished them
Not sure if putting lucio on messi would be the smartest move. First of all, lucio is a big defender who is great in the air so to take him out of the middle would be foolish even if barca plays their game on the ground. This is also a fantastic way to get lucio carded. He isn't as fast as many of his teammates and thus will be forced to make stupid challenges to foul messi quite often or leave him to get goal side. I don't know who mourinho will put on messi, but whoever it is, I expect to see cambiasso coming back and aiding in the job to keep the argentine quiet
The first leg is in the San Siro. Mourinho will play Maicon Lucio Samuel Zanetti Cambiasso and Motta. That is six defensive players. And Barcelona most probaly will play Iniesta Messi Pedro Xavi Yaya and Keita will play defensive mids. So inter will attack and try to score one. Which I think they will. They will go typical Italian style. Mark Messi and Xavi really tight. Then they will go for the killer second. In the camp nou they will go ultra defence
I think mourinho will be much more cautious at the first leg to be honest. He'll be extremely fearful of giving up an away goal than anything. I think he'll have the team sit back for both legs and hit them on the counters. If the tie ends 0-0 that will be fine. Extra time will see key barca players tired while inter has extremely good stamina and I would expect to see mourinho go slightly more attacking. Penalties wouldnt be the worst outcome with julio cesar in net. Now I don't think mourinho will want to have to deal with extra time and definatly not penalties, but I do think he'll be more than patient enough to see his team not allow a goal and have to go through the pressures that come with that rather than allow an away goal to barca and have to come back from that at the camp nou
Better news now. Iniesta is injured. This means Barca might have to play Henry(Who has only scored 3 this season) or Bojan. And Inter can deal wiv anythingn Barca might throw at them. I think Inter will start attacking and get a goal. And then go italian style
Iniesta is a blow, but he is no reason to underestimate barca. Keita, yaya, and busquets and all been really good this season and pedro has been unbelievable on that left side. Bojan is a truly amazing player as well for that side, while henry is still a class player
He is. But not this season. I think inter can mark bojan and henry very tightly. Keita toure and busquet are all defensive minded players
Yet all three of them can score truly amazing individual goals and some very important ones. Definatly wouldnt count them out
But they no how to do it against teams who play free flowing football(every team in La Liga) but they don't no how to against organized teams(every team in the Italian League)
I don't think they can create like iniesta can, but they have really good positioning in front of goal (busquets may be the exception to that) and can finish when given the chance. But you are right, losing iniesta is of course a massive blow in this match. None of them can create opportunities like he can. Now they have to rely on xavi and if he is marked tightly enough, barca really will struggle. Certainly his injury makes inter's job that much easier
So you agree wiv me?
Yes and no. Iniesta is good news, but it certainly doesn't mean the tie will be any easier. Though you have to feel that he could have made a huge difference in that first leg
Ofc he could. The defensive players were poor
Prophet88 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Mourinho is a mastermind when it comes to containing players. Also, Inter has a really good defence. So, you never know. I would really hope for Inter to advance to the Final
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Normally, Barcelona is the favorite. But, for me the only two teams that may pose problems in Barcelona are Chelsea and inter milan. Their play hard and rough and they have also good strikers (Eto'o, Milito, Balotelli). Inter milan is the only team to have a player like xavi -> sneijder which can hurt Barcelona. For me this match is the final of the Champions League 2010
Shinsui (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Haha @ all of the Chelsea fans routing for Inter.

Reasons why Inter not only CAN win, but most likely WILL win:

1. Extremely physical midfield. Remember when Essein mandhandled Barca? Cambiasso Esteban is the closest thing to Essein on this planet, and some could argue that he's even better. They also have Thiago Motta, who, although isn't quite as good as the people I mentioned, is still a very good player. Barca were lucky to player United without Fletcher and Arsenal without Song, but Inter's men are fit and ready to go.

2. We all know how much Pep fears pace, right? Eto'o is probably the fastest world class striker on the planet, plus he knows Barca's defence inside out and probably wants to remind his former club of how Inter made the robbery of the season in his swap with Ibrahimovich. Milito is pretty fast too and on the form of his life this season.

3. Talking about pace, Inter have the real best right back in the world. Anyone who truly believes Dani Alves is better than Maicon is kidding himself. With him playing not only can you rest assured that whoever Barca plays on the left flank will be completely neutralized, but also that Barca's weakest link, Abidal, will be exposed once again.

4. Lucio and Samuel is the best centerback partnership in the world. If keep Drogba quiet the entire game, then they can certainly deal with Ibra. Messi is a different story, but I will say, I've seen Messi have a lot more quiet games than Drogba this season, and I've watched maybe half the Barca games as I have seen Chelsea games.

5. Creativity in the midfield. Next to the injured Fabregas, Sneijder is really the only midfielder in the world that can even compare to Barca's Spanish duo. Not only does this guy have the creative freedom to tear apart their defence but he also has a good enough shot to test Barca's goalkeeper from distance and threaten them from set pieces.

6. Undoubtedly, the best manager in the world. It's almost guaranteed that he'll have the edge in mind games and tear apart poor Pep during the pre game smack talk. Not only that, but Mourinho is the grand tactician of anti-football himself. Due to various circumstances and injuries, United and Arsenal were forced to try to outplay Barca, but you can rest assured that Mourinho will be the first top level team to try smothering Barca since Chelsea
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yes, Barcelona are very beatable. I think Inter can beat Barcelona. If Mourinho gets his tactics right because he has more experience at this level than Guardiola, then why not. Guardiola has yet to lose to a big team and he hasn't been under pressure so far. Maybe Mourinho can sneak a decent result in the first leg and force Guardiola to crack. It'll only happen if Mourinho can keep Messi at bay, which I'm sure him and his team can. But it'll be an interesting match. I thought Arsenal were going to get smoked the first leg, but no we showed some resilience. But I reckon it will most likely be a draw just from nerves and the 2nd leg will matter
Mou has more experience? Yeah, but Guardiola has the experience of going past semi and winning the tourney in 1 season. Not exactly something that experience can help in this scenario
Barca has really had a weak defence this season. If not for valdez being in the form of his life, this season would definatly not be as successful as it is. And while alot of talk has been made of inter's defensive abilities, they have a fantastic attacking lineup as well that can punish teams on the counter and from simply controlling possession. We all saw that against my chelsea
I have never rated Valdez, yeah, he is in good form but he really needn't as Barca tends to outgun anyone these days. One better hoped Valdez puts some butter on his gloves to make Mourinho shout: "game ON!"
ShinnXyuki (Chelsea) 4 years ago
One word: NO
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Well after having seen them take real madrid apart at the weekend with key players missing, I can't see any chance for inter milan to be honest.
I suppose their best chance would be the stereotypical italians, go 1-0 up and try to defend it. And that would probably be their best option, theres no way could they compete with barcelona going toe to toe open football, they would get taken apart.
The way barca are playing, I can't see anyone beating them for the rest of the season, they look that good
Seriously, after 5 days letting the thread goes on, I couldn't help myself but ask: " Did Anyone above (apart from Tony and Shinn) watched the same football I watched?

First and foremost, whatever Inter could do to shackle Messi, I believe Madrid had tried it. And failed. And if the super talented team of Madrid and Arsenal couldn't master 50% of the possession to displace Barca, I doubt Inter with all their penchant for defensive midfield(bar Sneijder) can do. And if Sneijder were to chase shadow all game, what magics do people wanna see from him? And if the world most expensive player couldn't even master a decent blast at Barca goal, who else could come close.

All in all, this is a very bad time to face Barca, whether ones like it or not. I wouldn't say Inter wouldn't have the chance to win(this is Football afterall) but the chances of taking on Barca in a 2 legged match to proceed to a final when Xavi and Messi are in such majestic forms are really slim.

Still, as a football fan, I hope the matches turns out to be thrilling, but Mourinho don't do thrilling match.

2 cents
But lets face it, madrid did not play well. Defensively, their midfield was terrible in my oppinion. While the back line was good, it was no where near as great as inter's is. Every time I saw barca attack, madrid left alot of space for barca players to get open. Inter will not let that happen. Inter will be far more disciplined. You can't base your oppinions on el classico because inter and real are two totally different styled teams. Real is built as a team meant to go forward. Other than lass, they have no truly defensive, hardworking, and effecient players when it comes to winning the ball in midfield. Xabi alonso is good at it, but not quite to par with the likes of cambiasso, essien, mikel, fletcher, and the formerly mentioned lassana diarra in terms of defensive ability. And lass didn't play. Now you put in an almost entirely defensively minded team against barca and you have a totally different match. Look at how chelsea fared last season against a barca team that was far tougher than this one. Lets face it they haven't been quite as dominant as they were last year with the exception of messi's magic this year. They just arent clicking like they were as consistently as they were. Therefore I really think that inter can do it, though it will be a toss up
Therefore I said it'll not be thrilling. Awaits another match that looks similar to last season's semi
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
You have to ask yourself, could Jose beat Pep last time? Chelsea vs Barcelona. Nope. But it was close. Like Charlie is mentioning, Barca have and will continue to possess the ball 70%+ of the of the match. But here is the difference.

Milito pushes the back line and as Jose has commented "was born offside" Inter get many many calls their way at home and away for some reason, penalties and advancements, corners and last second crosses. It will be Barca's defence who set the tone for the matches. And so far they have the best back line in the world
Jose hasn't managed against pep yet. Last season guus hiddink at that match. Mourinho did however beat barca in his last encounter with the team while managing chelsea
Blueskie, Jose managed Inter last year, so it must be the year before, but Guardiola only becomes the coach of Barca last year as well. In 2007-08 champions league, Barca did not meet Inter nor Chelsea. So If it was before then, its Rijkaard you are referring
I know, that's exactly what I just said
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
I'm talking aout the last time Jose managed vs Pep. Then the next sentence is the closest comparison of Chelsea VS Barca last Champions League.

Haha I wasn't saying Pep and Jose were managing Chelsea vs Barca

Kick4Life - changing lives through football