Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Can Arsenal Beat Barcelona?
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Both team style of play quite similar but the gunner stand a chance to upset the current world best club?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
If arsenals defence play well, they have every chance, theres no better time to play barcelona, and I don't mean that in an offensive way to barca fans, they themselves will tell you that barca have struggled this last few weeks, but they have some really good players out injured, and I would'nt be afraid to play barca at the moment.
I think arsenal have every chance, but their defence needs to play well
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Exactly, it doesn't help they are down 2-0 though...
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think Barcelona will win their home tie and the two will play out a thrilling draw at the Emirates. I'm not bothered who wins, but I just want lots of goals, a few sending offs and an own goal. That does me.

But seriously, Barca won't lose
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
They should combine teams and become Arselona! One thing is for sure though I think it would be a real shocker if Barca lose this two legged race. In fact it would be a real shock if Barca don't repeat as champs
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
Arselona I'm up 4 that or Barecenal LOL
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
If Arsenal wins, it will only be by the away goal rule. At Camp Nou, they will get annihilated, though
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Of course they can, Barcelona are a good team with good players. Not gods. For me it will come down to if the arsenal stars can have an inspiring game, if not then barca are probley to strong
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
I agree depends on how Arsenal play their game and if they stay sharp AND TAKE their chances!
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 4 years ago
I think Barca is going to win, but I think Arsenal match up very well against Barca. I think Arsenals chances might be better facing Barcalona, rather than UNited or Inter
Wow. Didn't think it'd end like that.

So, Arsenal may have a chance on the return leg with no Puyol in the back. Though to beat 2 goals is hardly an easy task at Camp Nou, if they keep everybody healthy, and possibly start the people they subbed instead of starting Bendtner.... Ever again, then maybe they have a shot after all.

But surely Barca is still better. What do you think?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Barca are the better side, easily keeping Fabrega's injury in my mind. But, oh, our game is hardly predictable and no short of suspenses and surprises. Arsenal must play with grit.
But, yes its Barca's to lose
At first arsenal show barca too much respect, first 20 minutes barca should scored 7 goals instead of 0-0.... Then arshavin and gallas out.... They should bring on walcott instead of elboue but to come back from 0-2 is superb already! Hope the gunners can sneak a win at camp nou, impossible is nothing! Barca will be without puyol and pique while arsenal without their talismen, fabregas...
Both teams are pretty haggard. We'll see which one can gut out the most points next week.

Fabregas will have plenty of time to rest off that injury, as they probably don't need to play him against Wolverhampton. So for Arsenal's Premiere League chase that's good.

We'll see next week what happens in leg two; Messi was a non-factor, so if Arsenal can learn to tame him and Ibra for next time, this could be very interesting
JamalPortland (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I want Arsenal to win, I can't stand those Barcelona American fans that just like them just to like them. Meh
Brikel (West Ham United) 3 years ago
That's rich coming from an american that thinks he supports chelsea
If arsenal need to win at barca, they will need to play it rough a bit.... Too bad arsenal players size also similar with barca, and bentner quite slow upfront and no strike partner as well.... Arsenal need to shuffle their defence tight and try to him them in counter...
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I agree.... If you can't outsmart then outmuscle them.... At least make them annoyed so that their emotion is not stable, thus lack of concentration. Barca CB is a bit weaker now.... Maybe Arsenal can try to win it by attacking from the center
JamalPortland (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yeah but arsenal can't out muscle them though. You see how big barcas players are compared to arsenals? Sheesh
But remember 2 of those big players aren't going to suit up. It's too difficult to call, whatever reason may suggest. Barca will have an advantage at home, but Arsenal proved it wouldn't go easy
Shinsui (Arsenal) 4 years ago
We're missing our three best players (Fabregas, RVP, Arshavin), and most likely have to play our 4th best player (Song) out of position as a center back to fill in the gap left by the absence of our arguably 5th best player (Gallas). We're up against the defending champions at their home.

I'd probably bet my house on a full, healthy Arsenal squad to beat Barca, but these conditions are just ridiculous. Use your head
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Its looking bleak for Arsenal fight now with all the injuries coming on.... It might even affects their Championship challenge in the EPL
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Well barca do have key players missing for the return leg as well, and I have seen barca struggle in recent weeks, the arsenal game is the best they have played all season, but it will be a massive task for arsenal no doubt, but they are no way out of it
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
With both starting centerbacks missing for Barca, I wouldn't count Arsenal out at the Camp Nou. They've just got to go there and take the win. The young Gunners will have it all to do. Walcott, Nasri, Eduardo maybe, etc.... All the top young'ns will have to carry their team. Wenger has to do some serious work in training about keeping the ball from Barca or at least defending against them
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yeah, I agree, but Arsenal's squad is always thin, with all their main strike force out and main creative outlet injured for the rest of the season, its looking worse for Arsenal than its for Barca. At least Millito is back for Barca, they still have someone that commands quality at least
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Just want to point out that Barcelona beat Manchester United with three of their starting defenders injured in last years champions league final. Yaya toure at center back and sylvinho, who had hardly played all season held ronaldo and rooney. I'm not worried
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Charlie, this also isn't the same Barcelona team from last year. They just are not as dominant. Granted they beat up on Arsenal in the first leg, but still, the loss of two central defenders may prove costly in my opinion
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Hmm.... I see where you're coming from. Bendtner did have his chances in the first leg and I would bet money that walcott will start the match against barcelona, but with all of arsenal's suspensions and injuries, I don't think they're going to go through.

But if theres any team I would be ok losing to it would be arsenal
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'm sure he will start, but I'm not sure if I would like him to. He doesn't seem like the type of player to dominate like that for 90 minutes. Of course maybe he'll wreck havoc in the first 60 mins, put us up and get subbed! Haha, I'd be okay with that .

Either way, I think the 2nd leg will prove to be extremely exciting (duh!). I think the winner of this tie will go on to win the champions league this year
I'm going to be optimistic. Barca completely out-classed arsenal in the first leg, but I think that'll make Arsenal to learn the mistakes they did, and improve on their weaker areas. Arsenal have showed they are NO kids;coming from behind, and equalizing in just 30 minutes is not an easy job. Any team would have ran out of confidence after the first half ownage, so it was honestly a hard task accomplished by the Gunners. Fabregas injury worries me;hope Arsene comes up with a pretty neat plan to face the catalans in the second leg. Hoping for a motivated, energetic performance from the gunners. Things are not over yet
And I believe Barca will not be this godly in the second leg
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
I for one don't agree with the last blog, saying that Arsenal deserved either of their goals really. Their play on Xavi and the mid-fielders was horrendous and there should have been some red cards on their side. Barcelona dominated the entire game not only most of the first half. He did mention the stats point but, if you watched the entire match you can see clearly what was going on even the commentators knew. Arsenal rarely touched the ball.

That said, Arsenal have an uncanny ability to get the quick break or cracking shot from outside the box for the late win or tie. Its really up in the air, the difference in this game will be the loss of Puyol to the ridiculous red and others to injury. They will change their formation and game play. If Arsenal do pull out the win like others have mentioned it will be on away goals
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
They have Cesc and Van Persie out. So I think they will get crushed at the camp nou. For me they were very lucky in the Emerites

Kick4Life - changing lives through football