Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Buddle For Goal Of The Year?
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
The only goal scored in the recent MLS playoff game in Seattle vs LA was one of the best goals I have ever seen! I suggest all of you go to the video (I still have no clue how to post it myself.... Yeah, I know).... And see for yourself! He takes the pass and drops the ball perfectly suited for a whack.... However he is over 30 yards from the goal and no way can he get anything on it with the way he had to turn.... In fact I venture to say not many strikers would even try this.... But he strikes it with such power and precision that the keeper (no fool, he being Keller).... Is totally caught off line and cannot get back! Amazing goal and I think as it stands right now the goal of the year considering the implications and the locale.... Seattle is not an easy place for LA to play in.... Check it out and then tell me a better one for GOTY....

Btw: I know there was a GOTY thread.... But that was for 2009....
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I said this earlier, but really that is a goal you dream about. Just makes you realize what's possible and what you can do with a football. Maybe not the most skillful goal, but what instinct and awareness, amazing goal. I don't think Keller really had a chance the way it moved and sank in the air. Fantastic fantastic goal, no argument from me that it is not goal of the year so far. Contenders for me, are Gareth's Bale's ninja volley early in the year. Berbatov's bicycle and Zhirkov's wunderstriken. Also World Cup goals, if they count Geo Van Bronkhorst and Diego Forlan.

That was a great strike though, good post Reid, I am sure you were stoked on it. But like someone pointed out, what terrible announcing that is just a disgrace, no passion, seeing a goal like that, you have to at least yell
P. S. Beckham loved it
Agree with your Gareth's goal as second.... Nice post!
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago

Here it is I believe. Its a beauty
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Reminds me of my goal from last month. Just that the ball was rolling, mine wasn't a volley. And it went higher and more upper 90 for me. Goal keeper backed up looking up at the ball, turn, and watch the ball dipped into the goal.
About same distance...
Ramswa (Leeds United) 3 years ago
God I hate John Harkes. His commentary and voice sounds like someone who had a cinder block land on their head. Can someone please stop letting him do these or any games.

Great goal, a lot of luck, hope Sounders can thump them next leg because L. A. Is so damned annoying and a drain on the league with the amount of coverage they get over all the other teams
Unmecenfrance (Lille) 3 years ago
Thank YOU for agreeing with me on John Harkes.... He is totally unrepresentative of America's knowledgeable football contingency. He sounds like he should be commentating the X Games. And he tried to name drop 'Owen Coyle' at one point during the match.come on Harkesy, it's obvious you don't watch the EPL or you'd know you sound like an idiot on TV
Harkes sucks! Please go away...
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Lol harkes can be an idiot at times. I like ian darke. But honestly, is there another US commentator that you'd rather have that harkes. Possibly lalas, but some people don't like him either
Max Bretos.... He used to do most of the games on FSC when it was Fox Sports World. He's definitely more of a play by play guy than a color commentator, which I think is supposed to be Harkes' function--what color he adds to the game I don't want to speculate--but I would rather hear two dry, non idiots that 30 seconds of John Harkes any day. Or maybe try and steal Ray Hudson away from GolTV. That would be a true wild card move for MLS bringing in the game's most colorful English language commentator on the planet. That would probably go like Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football; Hudson's references are works of art with linguistic grace and an eye for the aesthetic.... And the last thing MLS needs is to alienate more potential fans
Elacksonen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I don't know about goal of the year but at the very least it should be voted goal of the week. Everyone should go vote for it and get MLS in the top 5 for once. Fantastic goal!
You are probably right.... But so far it still remains most important for his team and the match...
Juveseria (Juventus) 3 years ago
Great goal, beautiful technique to both hold off the defender as well as compose himself to strike the ball into the net, especially from that distance. I wouldn't say best goal of the year but it's right up there. Would contend with Pirlo (appreciate the finese and distance)

And schweinsteiger (appreciate the power and distance)

These are only a very small selection of great goals. This year we have been blessed with many great goals, especially in the Champions League where the most recent matchday (matchday 3) has provided the best goals I can remember in a while. It's going to be very hard to choose the best goal of 2010/2011 for all leagues and competitions
I agree with these.... However my point is the way he took it.... The Pirlo one was too set up and he had all day to kick it.... A great goal to be sure but Buddle's was taken with more urgency.... But thanks for the adds man.... You guys rock!
Yes of course it was a great goal, an absolutely phenomenal goal in any league. But because it happened in America in a league which gets little or no respect (regardless of how many Beckhams or Henrys we have), there will only be a handful of us who ever see it. Namely the Americans on here who have to suffer through ESPN and FSC's poor EPL coverage, and one or two bicurious Europeans who want to see how the retiree transplants are doing in our league. I want very much that clips like this get into the European media vein, and footytube is definitely pushing this forward, but my cynicism and skepticism are well-founded I think. In this sense, America is very much cut off from the rest of the world. Had it been Henry or Angel or Beckham who scored this gem of a goal, it would have gotten some kind of coverage here in Europe; but I think a player like Buddle would have had to telepathically move the ball from pitch to goal in order to get the kind of respect he deserves
LOL! Excellent! Exactly my friend.... Too bad too because I still think it stands as the best this year...
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
"one or two bicurious Europeans"    Lol
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
FC Partizan's Brazilian striker Cleo could be up for it!

And this one is from last season!

You choose!
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Last season's bicycle kick is better imo. Further from goal, and bit of curl in the shot. Fantastic
You guys crack me up.... Can't help but take the thread to new areas with in like two days.... Lol.... 2010 guys.... This year. But I do appreciate wactching these again.... Unbelievable stuff!
First one is from this season, so definitely up for a 2010 contest. With the second one I just wanted to show that my contender definitely knows what he is doing...
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
For me, Schweinsteiger's second goal against Werder Bremen in the champions league - 2. 11. 10 - what a beauty
Now you are talking.... Might be better than Buddles. These other ones above are sweet but they are goals that happen all the time in league play and not that rare. Also the importance of them is not that great.... Just another game right? I think GOTY has to be in a very important game with serious implications to be considered.... Like Schweinsteigers.... (BTW I love that guy.... Man what a great player!)
Wingman719 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
World class...Kinda reminds me of clint dempsey's two goals

Both class! I Love Clint.... One of my favorite footy masters of all time.... A true and real top class person too! The dif is Buddle got the ball on a volley that he had to put in play himself.... It was not delivered by express mail and ready to kick...
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Man I love clint as well.... He tries some cool s**t, both of those goals are superb! I think the second one was better, the way he lifted the ball, and from that angle too. He represents america well in europe, good player
Dempsey does this stuff all the time too.... He will try to score at any moment.... And he does have tremendous skill.... These are Messi type goals.... Perfect touch and awareness of where the Keeper is...
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Heres a goal with a fifa nomination for best goal from irish league team glentorans matt burrows.
Not a bad goal for a semi professional.

I've seen this one earlier, definitely one of the best scored this year. Burrows had several amazing goals this season, how old is he? Will we see him moving to stronger league soon?
I'm not sure mate, he plays for the cross town rivals.... Lol, I support linfield who don't get on very well with glentoran, I think they are just jealous of all our slilverware.... Lol
Great goal all the same
I hear you, at least he did not score this one against Linfield!
Sweet!
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Not bad for a semi-professional? This should be considered one of the greatest goals ever - sure, it wasn't that extraordinary but you certainly don't see those every day
Oh! What a goal, that is beautiful, what imagination. 92nd minute of the match too, I dream about goals like that. Ala Ibrahimovic against Italy in the Euro, this took way more skill and technique though, Ibra just strength and creativity
That goal was only scored a week or 2 back, pretty neat finish, but could he do it again? , methinks not, but you gotta' credit the strike anyway
He simply said.... WTF.... Let me take a shot at it.... This is like a full court last second basketball shot.... Who knows.... It might go in.... And it did!
You could well be right reid, it was scored in the 92nd minute after all
Messi goal up against matt burrows goal for fifa gong

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9195585.st...
Maggotsmt (FC Sankt Pauli) 3 years ago
Since we're talking about it, I might as well post last year's GotY, as voted on by footytube:

Lifeguard (Bayern München)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Here is my nominee for best goal.... Definitely best international goal of the year:

I remember that! Was watching it live.... I thought damn.... That was a freaking rocket! Thanks...
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I Remember Xabi Alonso scoring a similar goal for Liverpool a few years back
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ah....Here it is.    

Kick4Life - changing lives through football