Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Best Players Never Talked About
Braylann (CA Boca Juniors) 2 years ago
I wanted to start a thread about good players that no one bothers with anymore, either because they are forgotten or because nobody cares or because they never won anything. This way, maybe we can network about players we never knew existed or forgotten about.

I will start by listing a couple.

First I would like to apologize because I don't know how to post video so I can't post video of the players.

First to mention, I would like to say Malcolm McDonald from England, the Newcastle player. My father real liked him and I remember watching an old video my father had of him. I always liked him because he was so fast, and was a very good goal scorer.... I wish I could find some videos of him in action, but he was always more impressive when he didn't score.

Another player no one likes to talk about is Ariel Ortega, who played for River Plate. I would say he was the best dribbler at his time, incredible speed and skills, one of the best of all time I would say. Look him up on you tube, I apologize I can't find out how to post.

Also, Landon Donovan.... Never wanted to play abroad but I'm sure he would have been very good in the Spanish Liga
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
To post youtube videos just post the link and the script from footytube will do the rest.

Anyways its hard to talk about current players because the good players are almost all known.

I think one player which is over looked fairly often is Giovinco who used to play for Juventus and was sold to Parma (might still be co-ownership). He is often over looked because of his size, his nickname is the Atomic Ant, but when he played for Juventus he always made them a better team but somehow he wasn't given a chance to shine. Only took him a season for Juventus to realize what they lost out on as Giovinco scored a brace near the end of the season to help deny Juve of Europa League football
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
He is still at Parma and co-owned by Juventus, he is fairly talented player but he had Del Pierro to content with at Juventus and furthermore they didn't exactly make things easier for him when they first signed Diego and then later Quagliarella, to say the least, Juventus never really had any faith in him and ever since his move to Parma he's been death set on exacting revenge on them but then again with his great performance last year for Parma it was never really enough for him to even break into the National team, he is still young though and could grow as a player even more. Right now he is good but not that great
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Djibril Cisse, a legend wherever he goes and whatever club he plays for. A part of some really great teams and scored huge goals for Liverpool, his career could have been very different if it wasn't for breaking his leg twice. But he is still doing it playing at the highest level, they love him in Greece. Part of some great sides with Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Riise, Crouch at Liverpool and part of that classic Marsielle side with Ribery Nasri and Djibril leading the attack

Brian McBride there is a pub named after him outside of Craven Cottage if that doesn't tell you enough about him. One of the greatest American footballers to ever exist, had more fight in his right pinkie than a lot of players do today in their entirety. Up there with the best of them at scoring with his head in his era alongside Miroslav Klose.

Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Loving your picks Donn. Cisse has always been one of my favorite players. I remember before I ever knew much of anything about this sport, he always caught my eye with his snow white hair. The guy had some real bottle though, and came up with some huge goals. He'll always be one of my favorites, not only for his style of play, but for his intensity.

I never really appreciated McBride to be honest, but I totally agree with you about his "fight. " The guy never gave up and pushed on to the very end. Sad to say, but there are too few players like that right now
Borg (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Man these are some solid picks. I'm especially loving the McBridge choice!
Persebaya (Persebaya Surabaya) 2 years ago
Two of the forgotten legendary mastermind of attacking midfield :
Hristo Stoichkov
Gheorghe Hagi

Today, I don't see anyone can match the charisma they used to bring to the field (especially in international games, playing with their fellow countrymen), and they have amazing vision to read the game
Obijen2le (Chelsea) 2 years ago
One of the best players ever to come out of Africa, is Jay Jay Okocha. He plied his trade at Eintracht Frankfurt, Fernabache, PSG, and Bolton Wonderers. Even Ronaldinho attested to his greatness.

This guy is a real gem, underrated in the English Premiership. I hope the video below shows:

Link: www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC...
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Agreed Jay Jay Okocha is a legend. Love his style of football, amazing skill and just so creative. Very imaginative, he reminds me a bit of Zidane how silky and controlled he is on the ball can hit it with both feet and is deadly from set pieces. Has more pace than Zizou though, great shout and I think Okocha is one of the best of his generation, just overlooked by many. Here is another video

LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
He played for the fun of the game.  "Jay-Jay – so good they named him twice"
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
One of my all time favorite players, so undeservingly underrated, yet you won't be blamed if you said that this guy had all the chance in the world to succeed but sadly it never really clicked for him. Anyways he is right there at the top of my list of players long forgotten by folks, at his peak he was tremendous, but who I'll always remember with fondness!

Here is a compilation (no sound)

Here is an intro of him

Here he is with other players long retired and some of them also soon to be forgotten but it shows you how he had what it took to play with the best amongst his time, even if it is a fake tournament (or was it?)

Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I am just doing players at the moment. People hardly talk about Xabi Alonso. He is such a great player. He is what I call a quarterback. Heart beat of Real Madrid. His passes are so accurate. And his vision is so great. People usually talk about Ronaldo or Ozil hardly ever mention Alonso. Busquets is also a great player I think no one ever mentions. I like his style of play. And defensive mid who can play the ball
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I know this is just MLS and USA back in the days soccer wasn't as popular, but one of my favorite strikers of that league was Taylor Twellman of the New England Revolution. He was rarely talked about and just disappeared after injury and went into retirement. Then reappeared on TV for ESPN lol. I'm not a fan of the team, I just liked him and Steve Ralston. They were both legends in that team. Clint Dempsey came out from there too, so that team was bound for success. It really sucks how his career ended, I believe he could have been in the top 5 for highest leading scorer in the league if he kept playing.

Here's a video of him

And this long one

Megoogie (Club América) 2 years ago
No one talks about cuauhtemoc blanco from mexico
Mixawy (FC Barcelona II) 2 years ago
Giovinco who used to play for Juventus and was sold to Parma (might still be co-ownership). He is often over looked because of his size, his nickname is the Atomic Ant,
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
He is quite good. I liked him. Hope he becomes something in the future
Sam (Juventus) 2 years ago
He is still developing and he may yet play in Turin- he was just ridiculously inconsistent, and when the fans would turn on him, his play would drop off significantly.... Hopefully this season allows him to continue his development

Kick4Life - changing lives through football