Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Best Giant-Killing Moment You Have Witnessed
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Easy one for me this. Kidderminster Harriers amazing FA Cup run back in 1994. We managed to get to the 5th round, only to go out to West Ham after a 1-0 home defeat.

The best moment though came in the 3rd round, as we destroyed birmingham city 2-1 with an amazing 63rd minute drive from Jon Purdie. Wish I could find the goal on youtube, it was a stunner.

An amazing day, and a proper storm the pitch moment - will never forget it.

Link: www.independent.co.uk/sport/action-replay-purdie-p...
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
Although I'm a Villa fan my Dad's side of the family are all Bluenoses. My maternal Grandad was the one that (rightly or wrongly) took me to the football at an early age and his side of the family are Villa.

There is no animosity between the two sides of the family and we all like to hear of the other side doing well. Apart form derby day, of course!

Anyway, as a result of this strange family set-up I got to attend the occasional Blues home game when one of my uncles/cousins were unable to use their season ticket. One game I did attend was the aforementioned Birmingham v Kidderminster Harriers tie. The ovation that the Harriers received from the St Andrews crowd was amazing. A well deserved win that the home fans took very well. My Dad and the rest of the Zulus in my family have taken an interest in Kiddy's results ever since
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Barcelona's first game last season. The new guys on the block won the soon to be "best team ever in history" I forgot the name of the team though
ElGuaje7 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Numancia, haha
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Yea it was Numancia. They just got promoted right? I mean last season
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
When Arsenal made it to the semi finals of the Champions League, but lost to Manchester United 4-1 aggregate
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Those are not giant killing moments....

Giant (Top flight team) = Man Utd / Arsenal etc.
Minnow (Poo team that noone expects to win) = Accrington Stanley / Redditch United etc
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Either a nice dig on United or you missed the point haha
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
What are you trying to say about Accrington?!
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
For me, the best giant killing moment was somewhat longer than a moment - it was an extended few weeks. It was the entire 1990 world cup. As a Rep of Ireland supporter, this was realistically as good as football will ever get for me.

For those that don't know the story, the 1990 world cup was the first time that Ireland had ever reached the World Cup finals. Before that, hadn't done a huge amount of merit on the World football scene. For whatever reason, call it chemistry, timing, excellent management from a charismatic coach (Jack Charlton, brother of Bobby) everything just worked and the world took notice.

We hadn't really expected to even win a match. We couldn't have expected to get out of the group stage. When we did, we couldn't have expected to get into the final eight - against the absolute best teams in the world. When we did, you cannot imagine the kind of insanity that happeneed in Ireland. Everyone was out on the streets, banging pots and pans, hugging, dancing, climbing onto cars, singing. It was incredible
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I can't imagine what that must have been like. My friend was in Morocco in the summer of 08 and they went to Spain when the Euro final was going on so he explained to me what that was like. I am sure it wasn't as crazy as that must have been though. By the Way does Robbie know you are using his Robbie Fowler coke kit? Haha, that is him right?
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
That World Cup was fantastic, I was 10 and hadn't seen anything like that before, i'd also never been drunk before, amazing party carnival atmosphere for nearly a month
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
The game with Portsmouth beating United in the FA Cup semis, it was a weird game, where Rio had to try an save a penalty, but failed.... Weird....
Or
When Panathinaikos got into the quarter-finals of the UCL, never thought they could pull it off....
Yashan (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The Portugal USA game in 2002 World Cup where USA went up by 3 and then dropped 2 as they didn't seem to know what to do when a lead is that great. At one point the commentator said that there must be cars stopping all over Europe. The guy was British.

Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
USA did that in the confederations cup aswell, going up by 2 goals and letting Brazil come back and win 3-2. Not exactly the same obviously, but maybe just when they score loads they probably think they've got it secure but then drop it. Maybe they have a knack for doing that. It must be a bit annoying for them do go that far ahead, to make all their fans so excited then to just let go of the grip and lsip behind in the 90th minute. Anyway, my most giant-killing moment was probably.... Well there has been lots, especially in English cup competitons.

I remember when Millwall got to the 2004 FA Cup final I think it was only to be beaten by Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Manchester United. And when Portsmouth won the FA Cup after getting through to the final after Milan Baros arguably won a penalty for them. Erm, maybe Havant and Water-looVille going up against Liverpool, only for them to go 2-1 up agian. They lost three two. And when Hartlepool I think it was beat Bolton with a stunning goal and alos Chelsea and Liverpool going out to Barnsley - what play by the Championship side. Football is never predictable!
Fidalgo10 (FC Porto) 4 years ago
Loloolol I was gonna' say Portugal USA looll but I seee you have a great video for me to watch and relive ahahahahah.... Ya ill never forget this game it was on at like 4 am and I woke up and seen the score line 2-0 usa lool. I remember actually believing that I was dreaming yaaaaa I never went to school that day or following lool.... What can ya do when your portuguese looool
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
That was a great game that I will never forget! ^_^
Elucari (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'd say USA beating Spain in the Confed. Cup was a pretty awesome Giant-Killing moment
TheReggular (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree--that's the most recent one I can think of...
Yashan (Manchester United) 4 years ago
That is a good point but we kind of knew they were capable of an upset. Back then everybody thought that Americans need to be allowed to touch the ball with their hands in order for them to be any good at it
Tnadidas3 (Celtic) 4 years ago
Barnsley beating Liverpool 2-1 in the second round of the 2008 FA Cup and then beating Chelsea 1-0 in the third round was a HUGE giant-killing moment
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 4 years ago
On Septermber 3rd 1969, my team, Atlético Mineiro, beat the Brazilian National Team that would become champions of the 1970 FIFA World Cup by 2-1 and therefore becoming the only club team in the world to ever beat the Brazilian national team. Well, I do understand it was a friendly match and I did not witness it live, but I feel like it was pretty impressive considering this was arguably the best team assembled in the history of Brazil. This was the closest to a video of the match that I could find.

Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Barnsley defeating Liverpool at Anfield through a last minute goal and Chelsea to make it to the semi's of the FA Cup a couple years back. As well as Burnley (although not really a minnow but a surprise nonetheless) having a great Carling Cup and FA Cup run last year. Not a giant killing moment, but giant stunning moment was when Havant and Waterlooville grabbed the lead twice against Liverpool in the FA Cup (not sure which round maybe 4th?) at Anfield the same year Barnsley defeated Liverpool
Escafeld (Sheffield United) 4 years ago
The team I always think of when giant-killing is mentioned is Blyth Spartans. Had a great cup run in the late 1970's, reached the 5th round.

As for my own team Sheffield United in the early 80's we were down in the doldrums & had a season in the 4th division. We were drawn at home to Arsenal of the 1st division in the League Cup 81/82 & beat them 1-0. Great night that was, unfortunately we lost the 2nd leg 2-0 at Highbury.

Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
1988 FA Cup Final, arguably the greatest upset in the history of the FA cup, with unfancied Wimbledon defeating league champions Liverpool 1–0 thanks to a Lawrie Sanchez header.
And
1950 - In the World Cup, the United States shocked England in a match considered one of the biggest surprises in World Cup history.

And finally an interesting fact:1919 - 2-year-old Phenomenon Man o' War loses his first race to the coincidentally named Upset. In theory, this coined the term "Pulled an Upset"
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Probably last year's FA Cup. Everton beating Liverpool 1-0 in extra time when Dan Gosling scored one vital goal. Also were the Manchester United beaten by Everton on penalties.

The world cup 2002 when Guus Hiddink let South Korea by getting 4th place. They killed Spain and Italy, the giants out of the competition. Many would say the South Korea v Italy game was misjudged by referee. But it is still a giant-killing moment.

Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
For me has to be Barnsley Liverpool. He had control over the game. The keeper really saved them. Then last minute they scored a nice goal. And the guy who scored it is a liverpool supporter. Then they beat chelsea. They owned chelsea
Bhawk11 (Bayern München) 4 years ago
I think that USA upsetting portugal and spain were great giant killing moments

Kick4Life - changing lives through football