Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Balkan Affairs
Macedonian (Napoli) 3 years ago
@Velja & Peteko
The way you have proposed is perfect on paper but in reality can’t work.
Second third league as stands clubs playing that level of competition they can’t afford travelling expenses that was problem also in ex Yugoslavia
Format of second league was changed many times was due fiancés of clubs.
EX Yugo had second division divided on 6 Leagues four conferences than 2 conferences east west then back to unified league second division till the end so from 45 years only they played unified second league max 5 seasons.
During time, the league changed its format:
• In 1946-47 each one of the 6 republics had its own league (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia)
• Between 1947-48 to 1951 there was the "Unified league" (Jedinstvena liga)
• In 1952 each of the republics played its own league (Republičke lige)
• 1952-53 an "Inter-republics leagues" were played (Međurepubličke lige)
• Between 1953-54 and 1954-55 an "Unified league" were played again
• Between 1955-56 and 1957-58 the league was divided in 4 "zones" (zone, singular zona) with a total of 5 groups.
• Between 1958-59 and 1967-68 two goups geographically divided existed: East and West (Istok and Zapad)
• Between 1968-69 and 1972-73 it was divided in four groups: East, West, North and South (Istok, Zapad, Sever/Sjever, Jug)`
• Between 1973-74 and 1987-88 the league returned to 2 groups system: East and West (Istok and Zapad)
• Between 1988-89 and 1990-91 an "Unified league" was played (Jedinstvena liga)
• Follow this link for details Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Second_League...
Only has 3 solution are your format and my 2 suggested formats for start with.
Then we have to patient let time to dictate further development.
Only reason to join forces is , to increase quality and fiancés of the clubs.
You need to go for format which all parties feel equal in decision making and best financial outcome for clubs and Football federation and has to be in completive spirits the best to be the best.
As fact we did had club completion Balkan Cup
In 1961, a Balkans Cup for football clubs from Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania, Turkey, and Yugoslavia was introduced. It was played (at least) 27 times. The competition never carried much importance in the countries concerned, in contrast to the (much older but also discontinued) Balkan Cup for national teams. Last played in 1994.
This wasn’t promoted but with good marketing can bring must vital funds to clubs.
Link Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans_Cup

In fact my suggestion of Balkan Premier League was in same format played was used 1947/48 and 52/53 which can be the same format and if all goes well you never know my go even step further form unified Second Balkan League.
But must easiest way to organize competition is relegation competition same as described above Balkan Super Cup

Numbers of country’s can be added number of teams but the spirit of competitions to be the same
1. Slovenia 4 Clubs
2. Croatia 4 clubs
3. Serbia 4 Clubs
4. Bosnia 4 Clubs
5. Romania 4 Clubs
6. Monte Negro 4 Clubs
7. Macedonia 4 Clubs
8. Bulgaria 4 Clubs

Total of 32 clubs
First round Knockout System home away
By Draw
First round only one rule two teams from same country cannot meet in first round.
Group1. Champions of each Country 8 Clubs
Against
Group 2. Fourth placed clubs of each County 8 Clubs

Group 3. Second placed clubs of each Country 8 Clubs
Against
Group 4. Third placed clubs of each Country 8 Clubs

Second round Group stage
Draw
Winners Group 1, 2
1, 2 position in Groups
Winners Group 3, 4
3, 4 position in Groups.
4 Groups A, be, see, D of 4 Clubs Home & Away System
Semi Final
D >First from A group against Second be group
E>First from be group against Second A group
Final
Winners from D & E

Balkan Super League where 1, 2, 3, 4 placed clubs from national leagues play against each other in relegation system home & away Total of 32 clubs.
This competition can start mid September and played on mid week in weeks which Euro leagues are not played.
All of officials expenses paid by new body Balkan Football federation.
Fix rate compensation for clubs of $20 000 euro per club for away matches $10 000 home matches.
Matches played at Night kick of 19. 30 21. 30 Wednesday Thursday weeks which Euro leagues are not played
Clubs must have business plan with min Budget of $500 000 Euros.
Home game ticket revenue for clubs plus sponsorships and venue advertising.
Clubs pay for Venue & Security around home games Players salaries and administration.
Rewards Champion $250 000 euro second $150 000 Third $100000
This will help clubs which play in their National First divisions to get better exposure more funds from sponsors which will increase the quality of the their leagues.
Automatically means more spectators.
Stadiums used must Comply min criteria of Used for Europe League
After all expenses Profits divided to equally to 8 nations football federation.

TV Rights for Balkan Super League Fix Price publicly not disclosed which will go to Balkan Football Federation and clubs playing in the league compensated sold in Package with TV rights of National first division of the football federation.
Packages sold on auction price difference will go towards National Football Federation of the origin.

Quality wise simular to qualification stages Europe League due no one of current Balkan clubs is progressing to final stage of Europe League.

Again MUST KEEP national legues AS THEY ARE SO TO HAVE AS MANY MORE spost IN europe.
Personally I would prefer first format of Balkan Premier League with Max 8 spots in Europe which will mean 8 less but football quality on week to week bases will be better which will benefit top guns but also smaller clubs.
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
Macedonian, I mentioned that my idea is that all expenses of regional leagues would be payed by league itself (traveling and hotels, etc). But finances are my biggest concern regarding this format, cause it would be a expensive competition.

Also, we could add a possibility of splitting third and fourth division in two leagues (Slovenian, Croatian and Bosnian clubs in one, and Serbian, Montenegrin and Macedonian clubs on other), where top two teams from each league will play Final Four tournament. This way expenses would be lower.

My wish is to benefit as many clubs as possible from each country, and therefore overall football in all countries involved would prosper. Maybe you have a good point, at the beginning there should be two divisions and in a long run looking to expand to four divisions.

Reason I am looking to this type of competition is example of Adriatic league in basketball. When it started, everybody was saying that it will benefit basketball in general, but in Serbian case Partizan is the only club that did benefit. Rest of the clubs are degrading each season, therefore basketball overall is hurting, and I believe that exclusive league would do the same to football as well
Okay, I took some time to think this through. Here is an idea I believe could be solution for regional league format which will not favor big clubs. It is a mixture of Macedonian's original suggestion and my wish to keep successful domestic competitions running as well.

Competition will consists of six ex-Yugoslavian states. Each country will reduce their top divisions to 12 clubs, so there would be enough space to fit in national and regional schedules.

There would be four regional divisions.

First division will be formed out of 14 clubs. Serbia and Croatia will have 3 places each (top 3 clubs from domestic league), rest of the four countries will have 2 places each (top 2 in domestic leagues), for the first season.

Second division will have 18 clubs. Each state would give 3 places. From Serbia and Croatia will qualify clubs that took 4-6 place in domestic league, rest of the countries 3-5.

Third division will have 18 clubs as well. Each state 3 places (7-9 positions from Serbian and Croatian domestic league, 6-8 from rest).

Fourth division will have 22 clubs. Serbia and Croatia will have 3 places, rest of the country 4. Clubs from the bottom of the table and clubs promoted to top domestic leagues will make this division.

How many places will countries have in top regional division will be based on success of clubs from given country (Serbia and Croatia might lose 3rd place if their clubs do not perform well overall).

Reason for top regional division should have least clubs is that those will play UEFA matches as well, so they will have enough room in their schedule. Clubs will qualify for UEFA from domestic competitions.

Regional league will be responsible for financing costs of the league, since it will most definitely attract big sponsorships and TV rights.

I believe that this format will benefit football in countries involved overall, not just "big guns". Small clubs will have chance to qualify for regional as well, and they would have quality matches throughout whole year, which will raise quality of football from bottom to top.

Comments and suggestions....

Peteko 3 years ago
20 years ago Slovenia declared independence and the first war began. I guess it is 20 years now since the last season of the full-fledged Yugoslavian League. I have to check when it was that the Croats and the Slovenes produced their own national teams for the first time
In all Levels the leagues in England majority of the players are imports
Why
Baying power of average consumer is big
Clubs are clever of selling product to consumer
Best proof is National Team of England they import coach also they never can form strong team due clubs they don’t produce local talent
There league is the strongest in whole world.
You can’t compare Balkan with England the best to compare are North American countries
They are Poor but stadiums relatively Filled up their league is strong and they keep producing talents which Euro clubs pay money for them.
Also their national teams are strong always.
That is the concept of which will need to use
Any decision which you make has good and bad things.
But in this I can only see better future for Balkan big clubs & also for small and national teams.
Positives are grater then negatives.
Balkan League is necessity no other solution on horizon

Going back to your point to make Leagues smaller I do agree with that have to concentrate the quality to fewer club so if you drop to 12 clubs which I think is optimum for size of Serbia
And we chose option of BSL all clubs play in their league which will be important for spot in Europe so they get 4 spots 2 teams are relegated = 40% of teams has gone in Europe
Reality max 3 or 4 round no more.

But if you have playing in parallel BSL you will double the funds for clubs
Which mean hold on to talent longer and sell them for more money?
Like chain will get better and better
@Velja
Regional league matches would fit in with national competition and UEFA schedule. I do believe that each country should reduce national leagues to 12 clubs, so there would be enough empty dates in season schedule for all those extra matches
I think UEFA has Minimum criteria for how many matches needs to played in leagues so resultants to be official.
Example
Slovenian First division 10 clubs they play against each other 4 times in season. 36 rounds
Croatia First Division Current 16 Clubs 2012/13 31 Rounds will be drop to 12 and season 13/14 to 10 clubs same as Slovenian
Macedonia First Division 12 Clubs play against each other 3 times 33 rounds
Plus we have winter brake
The point which I want to bring to your attention is
You cannot have short seasons due you have professional players with annual salaries small clubs will suffer more.
Whole point is club to play as many more matches possible to attract interest to rise funds so can pay salary’s to players and rise those salaries to keep and attract better players.

In Regards your format I will agree to any because is better that what is moment but is not fully competitive spirit in my opinion only the best should be the best.

But still I think suggested Balkan Super League has better benefits for big & also small clubs from each Balkan state also whole.
Whole System is based on copy of Champions League spirit
Will not interferes with any Balkan states national leagues
Will not compromise any spots in Euro Competition
Not interferes with game schedules.
Will bring more game time
Will attract more interest
Automatically means more money better players better football
Which will help to rise quality of national leagues also better chance for clubs to progress further in Euro leagues.
Will give those smaller clubs chance to play against well known teams which will raise funds for them.
If you have Leagues with 10 or 12 clubs that means.
Fourth placed Clubs will receive minimum 4 attractive matches two from Euro Leagues and two from Balkan Super League.
The best will play all the way and earn some valuable money which will help the club to get better for next season.
Is like chain reaction as many more clubs they get better also the rest of teams in national leagues will benefit from that.
I think this game format is better
Like stepping stone for one day Balkan Premier League
The more I look at both of our ideas, the more downsides I find. Both of our formats would eventually benefit just big clubs, and not football overall. Clubs that get an chance to play regional league would prosper, while rest will just end up suffering even more. Champions League proved to benefit big (western) European clubs, while clubs from east can be happy if they make it to the group stage (if we exclude Russian, Greek and Turkish clubs which have enormous budgets).

I firmly believe that for an example English Premier League is strong as it is because they have strong lower levels of football as well (Championship, League 1 and 2).

Macedonian, my freshly added friend, I think we need to come up with solution that will pull overall football in Balkans out of the gutter, not just big clubs
Peteko 3 years ago
I think that's the story of the Balkans. The capitals flourish the rest is just the rest. I once quipped that most of the people in Belgrade, Tirana, Prishtina, Skopje etc have more in common with each-other than with their compatriots in the countryside. They are just not aware of it. (Of course, it does not mean that we're better than the rest of the country. But decades of unequal social and cultural development, division of labor and profits, the scale of sacrifices etc do leave their imprints on people. It is only human).

The team of the capital have always "stolen" the best talents in Albania. They have won more than 90% of the titles. And although you see some "rebellion" from provincial clubs (most notably Flamurtari of Vlora - once they even eliminated Partizan of Belgrade in Europe), most of the titles will always remain in Tirana.

During communism, players from the provinces were threatened if they did not join clubs like Partizani or Dinamo, which had official backing by the army and the internal affairs ministry. Today, it is the money, the desire to live in the capital which robs the province from their players. The only thing left in the provinces now are the angry, fearful fans who scare a traveling club or referee into favoring those otherwise deserted local clubs
Hi Velja
I have done some research on Google I found this two articles from Serbian press
Sorry to the rest which don’t understand?

Superligu gleda you proseku 2850 ljudi, ako verujete protokolu....
29. Decembar 2009. | 12:11 | Izvor: Sportske. Net, Sportski Žurnal
Pošalji komentar Komentari (11) Podatak Udruženja evropskih fudbalskih statističara zasnovan na zvaničnim izveštajima sa utakmica po kojima na mečevima "ima do hiljadu gledalaca". Obično ih je 50 ili 100 na nekim stadionima, pa se stiže do ove neverovatne cifre. Neka se dostave izveštaji oh prodatim ulaznicama, čisto da any bi bilo zabune.

Prema zvaničnim izveštajima Superliga Srbije je na 26. Mestu po posećenosti you Evropi. Prosečna poseta je 2851 gledalac po kolu, što je recimo manje od Bugara, Hrvata ali I više od Slovenaca, Crnogoraca ili Mađara.

Prema podacima to je oko 1000 više nego prošle godine, I any sumnjamo da će se čelnici domaćeg takmičenja uhvatiti za ovaj podatak.

Šteta samo što je netačan I zasnovan na lažnim podacima. Prvo, statistika udruženja evropskih fudbalskih statističara je rađena na osnovu protokola sa utakmica you koje se unose lepe želje, a any podaci.

Naime, you tim izveštajima stoji da je na mečevima, „broj gledalaca do 1000“, što sablažnjava, jer se na utakmicama većine klubova, izuzimajući one najveće okupi po 50 ljudi.

Karaburma, „Čika Dača“ gde igra Metalac, Banovo Brdo ali I dosta stadiona you unutrašnjosti nemaju posetu ni par stotina ljudi, tako da su ovi podaci potpuno netačni, I stvar je još gora, pa možemo da kažemo da su utakmice domaćeg šampionata među najslabije posećenima you Evropi.

Uostalom, neka klubovi dostave podatke oh broju prodatih karata na mečevima, da bismo imali preciznije podatke.

Zvezda četiri puta gledanija od Partizana

Vikend koji sledi označiće početak prolećnog dela Jelen Superlige, a ostaje da se vidi kakva će biti poseta na stadionima. Kao po navici, stadioni su minule jeseni uglavnom bili prazni. Mečeve domaćeg šampionata posmataralo je 284 hiljade ljudi ili samo 2. 360 njih po utakmici. Kako prenose Večernje novosti, prosečnom ljubitelju fudbala you Srbiji draže je da gleda Mesija, Ronalda ili Runija, nego da ide na stadione gde će strepeti za bezbednost, a neće imati skoro ništa da vidi, obzirom na to da su klubovi sve što je iole vredelo, prodali.

Zahvaljujući jesenjoj tituli, ali I činjenici da je prvi ovosezonski "večiti derbi" igran na "Marakani, " Crvena zvezda je imala ubedljivo najveću posetu I prosek od 12. 571 navijača po meču. A kriza koja je drmala crno-bele stigla je I do tribina stadiona you Humskoj, pa je Partizan po poseti završio tek na četvrtom mestu posle Spartaka I Mladog radnika.

Ipak neslavni rekorderi su OFK Beograd I Hajduk sa manje od 400 gledalaca po utakmici.

Prosečan broj gledalaca:

1. Crvena zvezda 12. 571
2. Spartak Zlatibor voda 3. 437
3. Mladi radnik 3. 357
4. Partizan 3. 000
5. Napredak 2. 750
6. Vojvodina 2. 642
7. Jagodina 2. 437
8. Smederevo 2. 142
9. Javor Habitfarm 1. 157
10. Rad 1. 100
11. Čukariči Stankom 887
12. Metalac 871
13. Borac 742
14. BSK Borča 737
15. Hajduk 368
16. OFK Beograd 342
This is the point which I want to make due some small clubs which can only have 1000 spectators holding hostage whole soccer development those clubs will never grow they always be small.
Please explaine details in your league format
We totally agree on this one. But be sure that numbers for most of the clubs would be even more miserable if they were not playing against Partizan and Red Star at home, which indicates people in this places want to watch quality football. You just need to bring it to them. And believe me it is the corruption that holds football a hostage, not small clubs. If you had clean competition, without matches that in advance you know how they would end, there would be much more people watching football in Serbia.

Another issue in Serbia (as an country and in football) is that most of the financial capital ends up in Belgrade, so clubs from the other parts of the country suffer enormously. You have to look at the whole picture before blaming small club for the situation in our football. If you ask me, Partizan and Red Star are the bigger problem for overall prosperity of domestic football, because they get most of the sponsorships and media attention, while rest are basically trying to survive
Same story is any of Balkan states. All capital is in capital cities.
We are new economies must go to natural process of developing you can’t stop that
But also same is in any western country bigger centers attract more investment.
Only the difference in well devolved economies they have special funds for development of rural areas which improve the standard of living in rural areas.
In ex Yugoslavia we also had that.
In new Balkan sates we hardly manage to cover basic cost of the necessities for one country to function normally.
Also don forget we are in process of transforming socialism to democracy and first stage of the worst form of raw capitalism. Also we had wars and economic blockades in this region.
Will take years to develop that level of caring mentality on the Balkans in moment is every person left on his own must fund his own way of survival which reflects in all levels of our societies.
Forget that logic everybody to be the same wasn’t like that even in ex Yugoslavia was only four clubs which they ware buying all the talent from EX Yuogo league also government was involved financing the clubs and same story Vardar was doing to rest of the smaller clubs in Macedonia.
Only thing has changed in moment government not sponsoring direct money to clubs they have to find sponsors and they have to create good business plan to bring money in the club that is the reason why cubs are poor. Sponsors they will only invest money if is some sort of return on that. Also we don't have that big companys like before in ex Yugo most of them are very small.
If you had business would you sponsor club which only has 400 spectators on average or you will advertise your business on that ground or have that match on TV and expect some body to pay money for commercial during that match and so on ….
We are mot in socialism any more.
We are going in open market economies which means the gap between poor and reach will get bigger and bigger we can’t stop that.
Is same story in any league only in those leagues the baying power pepole is bigger much esyer to find money.

How ever whole point is in moment we lacking of quality but the interest is there so only thing is to find the way to bring the product which people want watch and pay money for that.
And only way is to join all the best clubs in one league in any format of
Competition
Smaller clubs they make money from player development which even that is not working for our clubs talent lives soon as get spotted
If you had better league those player will go to local Giants clubs which will pay dissent money for them and after season or two will go to Europe for decent transfer which will benefit the club but also the mother club to.
But to have money comes back to spectators

So to surmise only way is to have better league and
Only logical way is to form Balkan club completions regardless of the format

Peteko 3 years ago
Macedonian, all you need is a blueprint with details like this one, a good PR firm, a couple of famous former Yugoslav football stars, some good will and a lot of patience.

I wonder who would take the initiative. Probably a pan-Yugoslavian sport conference would be a good milieu to approach some people. Or a well-publicized campaign tour.

I still don't see Romania and Bulgaria joining in the first batch. Only the former Yugoslavs with the memories of the old league might be tempted. For others it could seem a bit weird.

There is one thing that I am sure about though, it will take only one regional league to be formed and others will follow. Someone has to break the ice and offer an example. The Iberics, the Scandiavians, the Balkans...
Hi Veljo & Peteko
After your concerns in regards EURO Places I did modify system
This modified completion made only for finical benefits to clubs will not change at all Balkan Clubs EURO perspective which can be the first step to final goal of forming of balkan premire league.

1. Slovinia 4 Clubs
2. Croatia 4 clubs
3. Serbia 4 Clubs
4. Bosnia 4 Clubs
5. Romania 4 Clubs
6. Monte Negro 4 Clubs
7. Macedonia 4 Clubs
8. Bulgaria 4 Clubs

Total of 32 clubs
First round Knockout System home away
By Draw
First round only one rule two teams from same country cannot meet in first round.
Group1. Champions of each Country 8 Clubs
Against
Group 2. Fourth placed clubs of each County 8 Clubs

Group 3. Second placed clubs of each Country 8 Clubs
Against
Group 4. Third placed clubs of each Country 8 Clubs

Second round Group stage
Draw
Winners Group 1, 2
1, 2 position in Groups
Winners Group 3, 4
3, 4 position in Groups.
4 Groups A, be, see, D of 4 Clubs Home & Away System
Semi Final
D >First from A group against Second be group
E>First from be group against Second A group
Final
Winners from D & E

Balkan Super League where 1, 2, 3, 4 placed clubs from national leagues play against each other in relegation system home & away Total of 32 clubs.
This competition can start mid September and played on mid week in weeks which Euro leagues are not played.
All of officials expenses paid by new body Balkan Football federation.
Fix rate compensation for clubs of $20 000 euro per club for away matches $10 000 home matches.
Matches played at Night kick of 19. 30 21. 30 Wednesday Thursday weeks which Euro leagues are not played
Clubs pay for Venue & Security around home games Players salaries and administration.
Rewards Champion $250 000 euro second $150 000 Third $100000
This will help clubs which play in their National First divisions to get better exposure more funds from sponsors which will increase the quality of the their leagues.
Stadiums used must Comply min criteria of Used for Europe League

TV Rights for Balkan Super League Fix Price publicly not disclosed which will go to Balkan Football Federation and clubs playing in the league compensated sold in Package with TV rights of National first division of the football federation.
Packages sold on auction price difference will go towards National Football Federation of the origin.

Quality wise simular to qualification stages Europe League due no one of current Balkan clubs is progressing to final stage of Europe League.
Hi Vleja
I know will be some pain in short term but look the perspective long term.
Example Partizan seen EX Yugoslavia fell apart only last year made to group stages and lost all the games.
If that team was playing in better league will have more finances will be force no to mess up with.
Not shore how old you are but in EX Yugoslavia second division was much stronger than current First Division in any of Balkan States.
This based on same concept as that but only instead have second League you have National first League in each state.
In current moment nobody will pay money for TV rights for any of Balkan National League because will cost more to pay video crew video transfer due is not interest in fans to watch.
Not commercially lay bole.

Suggested Balkan Super League will replace Euro League.
In current moment Balkan clubs max they can reach realisticly 3 round and clubs which play against is from lowest level of football so fans don’t show any interest to go watch those games.
Will not hurt small teams.
They will gain from that same as before ex yugo 2 League clubs they ware supplier of talent to bigger clubs.
Don’t think from your hart think money sport is not any more hobby is business.
Do you know Second ex Yugo League had on average 10000 spectators per game.
Third division also had more interest > Then current system.
Ex Yugoslavia States leagues Example First state Macedonian League More spectators then current First National League. Forth Division in Ex Yugoslavia

Any other option is not possible >
Example keep current system how any club will invest money in players when whole season they have average around 2000 spectators per game nobody wants to by TV Rights from those Leagues.
So what more clubs in EURO leagues how long you will have to wait so you can see your club is playing against giants as Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Manchester.
Even if they come they will filed second team on pitch will be like training session for them.
Even if you start some sort of Balkan competition with not real meaning will be recipe for disaster.
Will be no discipline what’s ever because any fine will not effects club Euro perspective.
Clubs will not invest more money so what will change to bring more spectators to the stands.

Do you know same talk is going on from in Scandinavian Countries same thing is over there only they are bit better due better standard of living.
That sort of Balkan Premier League can pair to French Russian German even Italian League. You have population of over 70 000 000 to support 16 clubs.
Well Macedonian, it was actually second time Partizan made it to the champions league. We also qualified in 2003/2004 season. But I do understand what you mean.

I totally understand your way of thinking when it comes to format of regional league. In my opinion in a long term it might be possible, once idea of regional league proofs to be effective.

But I still do believe that you need to keep an interest in the national competitions as well. I am trying not to look at the issue as an Partizan fan, but rather a smaller club that will never get an chance to compete in regional league. In Serbia stadiums are always packed when Partizan or Red Star are playing games away from Belgrade, so it would be disaster to not to have these two clubs playing every other week somewhere in Serbia, where they could popularize domestic football.

I was thinking of next format.

18 clubs:
Serbia and Croatia - 4 each
BiH and Slovenia - 3 each
Montenegro and Macedonia - 2 each

You would have an system where each country is rated by the success of the clubs in the league. Lets say if two Macedonian clubs would be in top 5 at the end of the season, and two Serbian would end up on the bottom, then Macedonia could receive third invitation next season, while Serbia would loose one. The more success clubs from one country have, the more spots that country receives next season. No country could stay without clubs in regional league though, so every state should have at least one club in the league.

Automatic invitation for next season would receive one club from each country that did best in previous season. Rest of the spots for that country would be decided by the results in the national league. This way you always give a chance to smaller clubs from each country to reach regional competition.

As far as UEFA competitions, as I said earlier, I would have clubs qualify for it from domestic competitions. And that way you still put importance on domestic competitions.

I believe regional league would attract a lot of fans to the stadiums, because you would have a chance to watch top clubs from the region playing each other. More fans you have, bigger interest would be in TV rights. More TV coverage, higher would sponsorships be. And so on, economy will do the thing financially.

Regional league matches would fit in with national competition and UEFA schedule. I do believe that each country should reduce national leagues to 12 clubs, so there would be enough empty dates in season schedule for all those extra matches.

Off course, we cannot expect that right away Balkan clubs become regular participants of the champions league or EL, but with the higher level of soccer in the region, clubs would gradually come closer to the clubs from strong European leagues. So why not dream of having Partizan or Red Star, Dinamo or Hajduk, Zeljeznicar or Borac, Maribor and Vardar at the same time in Champions League. Imagine how strong regional league would be if you had six champions league participants in it.

Until then...
Macedonian thank you for your detailed input.

Your suggestion for the BPL is quite interesting. Basically you would revive whole Yugoslavian league structure, as it was before tragic 90's. I thought about this kind of format as well, but in my opinion it would kill domestic competitions, and smaller clubs from each Balkan state would suffer. I also do believe clubs and league would benefit much more if clubs would continue competing on national and regional level, where qualifications for UEFA competitions would be decided through national basis. Main reason for this is that BPL clubs would have much bigger access to European competition. Each country would keep at least one spot in champions league and several spots in EL, rather than having BPL max four spots in champions league (UEFA's restriction on maximum number of clubs qualifying from one league). Imagine if at one moment you would have clubs from each state play champions league, that would be six spots in the strongest European competition. In this case BPL would serve for raising level of football that clubs from this region are playing weekly, and also for financial benefit of the clubs, while domestic competitions would remain important because of the UEFA qualifications.

And Peteko, I believe that if more countries would get involved in this project, the higher quality of the league would be. For the starters I believe that having just Yugoslavian clubs would be more beneficial, because these clubs have a long tradition of rivalries and it would be more marketable for these countries. But once league sets its feet on the firm ground, joining of clubs from other Balkan countries could only help make league even stronger
Peteko 3 years ago
Thanks Velja, my point exactly for losing the spots in the Champions League. However, Macedonian argues that the local fans would rather see their clubs play in Belgrade and Zagreb, rather than spend a lousy first round to Armenia and get eliminated.
The thing is that probably the local fans would still favor the big league of the Champions, because even the fans of the worst club never stop dreaming of a miracle.

As for the Albanian participation, considering how things are right now, there is not much to offer. Our league is weak and corrupted. If that was not enough, now politicians are involved to help their favorite teams. It's ugly. But there are new young talents. The passion is there and Albanians have grown to love football.
Albanians are somehow familiar with the Yugoslavian rivalries as we used to follow them by watching secretly the Yugoslavian TV (granted we watched more basketball than football, as the 80s were the years of Cibona, Partizan, Yugoplastika etc).
Certainly if you manage to attract clubs beyond the Yugosphere like the Romanian Steaua, which won the UEFA Champions League in 1986, plus their bitter rival Dinamo of Bucharest, plus the Greek big rivals Olympiacos and Panathinaikos, this league would be quite competitive
Peteko 3 years ago
Thank you Macedonian, you have certainly put a lot of thought in this.
It is certainly an attractive project and as you said it may have an financial logic to back it up.
Yes, I believe much will depend on whether the big four Hajduk, Dinamo, Partizan and Zvezda would agree to form the nucleus.
I checked the numbers in Croatia and they are horrible. 1, 911 average attendance per match. I think it is a disgrace despite the fact that Croatia has a relatively small population. The old rivalries may revive the interest. However, I wonder if that would be enough.
Honestly, I don't see the Romanians joining this league. Neither would the Greeks. And as far as Albanian, Macedonian and Montenegrin teams go, they won't do much to attract interest.

Also I doubt if such an effort will manage to stay clear of politics. Politics in the Balkans has a funny way of meddling with everything.

Also it is important to prevent the crowds from getting involved into ethnic motivated riots. Our friends here wrote that things have changed and I'd like to believe that.
By the way, Shkendia of Macedonia, a team with mostly ethnic-Albanian players will play Partizan of Belgrade for the Champions League. That would be an interesting test of crowd behavior.
Hi Peteko
In this league can be add another 4 teams from rest of Balkans which is Albania Greece or Hungary but at later stage because I think is plenty of petrol in this thank between Serbs and Croats if you know what I mean. Also can function with less federations. Minimum of 12 Clubs.
Uefa
Will not mess their system at all adds less teams but better quality to the fans in Balkans.
In this current moment yes will be more quantity then quality.
Example team from Club from Macedonia progresses in pre qualification stages of Champions League maximum can reach if lucky with draw 3 round like Rabotnicki did last Year first two opponents clubs with no stars from league noting better them Macedonian League so no interest to fill up stadium so club didn’t make a lot of Money only Liverpool made the stadium full. But you can’t spend money on players and play in low quality league will never fill up stadiums and then except to make to group stage so you can get your money back. You can’t even sell TV rights from current League nobody will pay cent for them.
That is recipe for disaster club will go bankrupt.
With Balkan League will increase the quality of opponents which will bring more fans more sponsors more money so clubs will go further in EURO leaugues.
If this leagues is ever formed will have on average at least 20000 spectators per match.
Also in regards of Romania & Bulgaria when was the last time club made in finishing stages of EURO league.
Also the concept which is above want kill anybody national League.
Personally prefer to watch Macedonian club play against top Balkans Clubs instead watch some clubs from Armenia where the soccer is not up to standards. So with this concept fans will not miss will gain on better National Leagues also every week will be like second round for prequalification for Champions League. Each season leagues will get better and better young talent will stay longer in those leagues also they can afford to bring players from aboard.

Money can be adjusted and increased but those amount are realistic for the state of economy of those countries are in current moment they don’t sound a lot for western terms

Hi to all
I was born in ex Yugoslavia & watch games of national exYU league and loved the national team then we separate from different circumstances still love my national team Macedonia but I do miss ex Yugo league
I would like to add to discussion. I do agree all Balkan states they have need of Balkan regional league. As is stands football in this region is sinking on day to day bases. Our clubs they can’t pass I second stage of Europe League due lack finance which reflects the level of football been played. National teams will also start suffering if something no changed all our talent is leaving before gets developed and not many of them will succeed gets stuck of playing lower leagues across Europe.
Put politics on side if you are football lover is only one way out get all together and start talking and resolving any problems as arrive.

This Example for Balkan Premier League
1. Slovinia 2 Clubs
2. Chroatia 2 clubs
3. Serbia 2 Clubs
4. Bosnia 2 Clubs
5. Romania 2 Clubs
6. Monte Negro 2 Clubs
7. Macedonia 2 Clubs
8. Bulgaria 2 Clubs
Total of 16 clubs
I know some will argue how come bigger countries have same number of teams,
Please follow all the way
This League will be with relegation so can happened some countries not have representation at all and some they have 3 even four teams at later stage.
Champion direct in Champions league
Second & third pre qualification for champions league
4, 5, 6 team in UEFA League
Last two clubs relegated to their national leagues

Promotion to Balkan Premier League

Champions of each national leagues which will be 8
By draw in two groups A & be of 4 Clubs
Play system home and away matches
First from A against second from be group
First from be against second from A group
Winners prompted to Balkan Premier League
Defeated clubs plays home and away against 13 & 14 placed teams in Balkan Premier League
Winners in Balkan Premier League
Defeated clubs back to National League from their origin.

Relegated teams from Balkan Premier League will go to National league and their football federation will determine number of clubs relegated from National First division.

Finances for the Balkan Premier League.
League Sponsors plus holding of TV rights of Balkan Premier League & each club must submit payment $200 000 Euro before season starts.
All of officials expenses paid by Balkan Premier League federation.
Matches played at Night kick of 18. 00 & 19. 30 21. 30 2 or 3 matches per Night Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Clubs must have business plan with min Budget of $2 000 000 Euros.
Rewards Champion $500 000 euro second $250 000 Third $150 000
Stadiums used must compaly min criteria of Used for Europe League

Also can be organize replacement of Europe League under cover of Balkan Premier League federation.

Balkan Super League where 1, 2, 3, 4 placed clubs from national leagues play against each other in relegation system home & away and also teams relegated from europe Europe league before group stage to join this competitions. Total of 32 clubs plus possibility of another 4 clubs which total can be from minimum of 32 clubs to 36 clubs maximum.
All of officials expenses paid by Balkan Premier League federation.
Matches played at Night kick of 19. 30 21. 30 2 or 3 matches per Wednesday Thursday weeks which Euro leagues are not played
Rewards Champion $200 000 euro second $100 000 Third
This will help new clubs in Balkan Premier League & clubs which play in their National First divisions to get better exposure more funds from sponsors which will increase the quality of the their leagues.
Stadiums used must compaly min criteria of Used for Europe League

TV Rights for Balkan Super League Fix Price publicly not disclosed which will go to Balkan Premier League Federation and clubs playing in the league compensated as same clubs playing Balkan Premier League sold in Package with TV rights of National first division of the football federation.
National Football federation system of clubs participation and compensation copy of Balkan Premier League like franchise.
Only can be changed the clubs participations fee & compensation amount paid towards clubs.

National First Division kick of times 16. 00 & 17. 30 Fri Sat & Sundays. Number of matches depends of how big will be the league will not interfere with Balkan Premier League time slots.

National First Divisions are interested due clubs which are first they have chance of progressing to Balkan Premer League & 2, 3, 4 placed clubs plus two or four
Clubs which did progress to Balkan Premier League will Play replacement of Europe League – balkan super league.

With this system the concept of fair competitions are kept.
This will bring crowds to stadium better quality young talents they will stay longer in this league better sponsorship deals more money for the clubs
With good and fair organisation this can be success only if all party is are one equal level on the board of representatives of the Balkan League organisation regardless of number of teams played in competition and all the profits after all expenses around that league shared equally to 8 football federations.

In my opinion this can work even now with good disciplinary statute and a lot of organisation.

Peteko 3 years ago
Wow, Macedonian, you have done the whole blueprint, mate, down to every frigging detail. You should publish it in some of those former Yugoslavian newspapers.

I wish you had added a token Albanian club, although I'd be the first to admit that our sides suck big time. Hell, my Partizani has dropped from the radar completely.
That said, let me point out that we just left behind Montenegro and are now only three places under Macedonia in the UEFA ranking, if you bother to scroll down a bit at this one: Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Champio...

It may not matter if this is just a revival of the Yugoslavian League, as Albania was not part of the federation (and I won't even touch that hot potato called Kosovo). But then I saw that you had also the Romanians in the mix and that makes it a Balkan rather than a Yugoslavian league. That complicates the situation a bit. Bulgarians seem to me a bit more "Balkan" than the Romanians. And then Albanians too may feel they are more "Balkan" than the Romanians and even the Slovenians.

Otherwise it is quite an ambitious project and yours is a great post. Well done. (Of course, I don't live in the Balkans and those numbers of money required and raised don't mean much to me, but I assume you have a better idea and numbers can always be adjusted.)
Peteko 3 years ago
Also, I wonder whether this league would mess with UEFA's system of deciding the number of clubs from each country for the Champions League.
Right now, if I am not mistaken, Romania is the only one from these countries which sends at least two clubs to the champions league.
So, considering your list, UEFA will expect 9 of them to play for the champions league. But what will happen with them in the following year. Will this league be considered as equal to other national leagues? In that case, the Balkans will lose at least 6 places in champions league. It may cause distress for the fans in the Balkans and headache to UEFA.
Maybe it was explained in your post and I missed it.... If not, what do you think of it?
Macedonian thank you for your detailed input.

Your suggestion for the BPL is quite interesting. Basically you would revive whole Yugoslavian league structure, as it was before tragic 90's. I thought about this kind of format as well, but in my opinion it would kill domestic competitions, and smaller clubs from each Balkan state would suffer. I also do believe clubs and league would benefit much more if clubs would continue competing on national and regional level, where qualifications for UEFA competitions would be decided through national basis. Main reason for this is that BPL clubs would have much bigger access to European competition. Each country would keep at least one spot in champions league and several spots in EL, rather than having BPL max four spots in champions league (UEFA's restriction on maximum number of clubs qualifying from one league). In this case BPL would serve for raising level of football that clubs from this region are playing weekly, and also for financial benefit of the clubs, while domestic competitions would remain important because of the UEFA qualifications.

And Peteko, I believe that more countries would get involved in this project, the higher quality of the league would be. For the starters I believe that having just Yugoslavian clubs would be more beneficial, because these clubs have a long tradition of rivalries and it would be more marketable for these countries. But once league set its feet on the firm ground, joining of other clubs from Balkan area could only help make league even stronger
Maroon45 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
This would be very interesting, you certainly have a handful of quality sides in the Balkans, they are just spread out over a number of leagues/nations. I don't think the Greek sides would join, just due to the fact that they have what seems to be a rather successful league (at least the top 4 or so). It would be nice, does the trouble in Italy last year hurt the prospects of this though?
Certainly the incidents like the one in Genoa or in Zagreb, when Dinamo's fans set FC PAOK's bus on fire during their Europa League match, do not help. Even Platini paid a visit not so long ago to our (Serbian and Croatian) FA's, with the warning that we are close to be banned from all UEFA's competitions.

As we discussed above, hooliganism and safety are the main reasons competition like this is on hold, because from every other aspect it would benefit all sides involved in it
It does not really have to do much with this topic, but Partizan just defeated Red Star in national cup semis!

Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Saw it already, they're bombaring us with news about Red Star in the Croatian media cause of Prosinecki
So you are getting bombarded with news of Red Star getting bombarded! Hope you'll get to hear those all season long...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football