Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Are We Witnessing Chelsea's Golden Era?
Mumbai (Chelsea) 3 years ago
It is not just silly to hype the things but also not to get hassled rating Chelsea down yet because of the current situation! Chelsea is backed by a soccer passionate Billionair! Who knows; you ll see these guys might be back again! Who knows they get some good player on board? I think after past few good years this could be clean up time - Chelsea's aging squad saw few players out of the club during last transfer window. You might see couple of more clean ups and good signings,
This transition should be good (young lads replacing oldies) for eg. Arsenal - 5 yrs so far (I am not Ferguson fan but he has done that job pretty well);
Yes title hopes are fading this season but real Chelsea fan would want right signing and real power game by Blues!
It might be a small blip in golden era buddy!
Mumbai (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I mean Arsenal took long time amid money saver Wenger. I don't know what he does sitting on all that money Arsenal have!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
He sh*ts on them to make a point. Lol.

But seriously you are right that just like early success in this season does not mean that Chelsea are living a golden era, it is also true that this dip in form excludes the possibility of an on going golden era.

First of all, if Manchester United falls for some reason and Arsenal or City win the Premier League this year. Chelsea's fall will get lost among the discussion that the Premier League is changing.
Second, if Chelsea finds the strength (relieved of the EPL race tension) to win the Champions League and/or FA, it will still be considered as a good season for them, assuming that they will end up at least in the top 4.
They will need also to go back and win the Premier League in the next season and this will look like a golden era in the making.
So the chances are there. But Roman has yet to show what he intends to do with the club
Hithere (Manchester United) 3 years ago
This is why I don't like to predict things at the beginning of the season
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I think I jinxed it up all, sorry y'all boys in blue, and United fan boys can thank me later!
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yeah, you owe me a big apology. Now we are in 5th place and might be missing out on Champions league.... Lol
Pragathish, the only way to make it up to them is to start another thread now about Manchester United: Are they the new "invincibles"? I bet they will start losing games like silly. Lol
It was only three months ago....    It stands as a monumental reminder that the start of the season is often deceiving.
Totally right, funny how some people already gave Chelsea the title after the 1st couple games (and talking about Golden era lol). It just seemed inevitable to me that Chelsea would have a tough stretch at some point during the season, I just didn't know it will be this bad
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Most Def. This is the best start in their history to the premier league. This is their best team in their whole history. They are jst strolling past teams. Something they hardly did under The Speicial One
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 3 years ago
Also I think Chelsea is good enough to win the champions league, and I think this would solify there golden status. PLus I don't think they have won a champions league. There team is aging so they better win this year or next
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 3 years ago
Def would say the Blues are the best in England and arguebaly the best in Europe, but I think we are witnessing a golden age in Barcelona
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Ya.... I think so.... Chelsea is crusing folks.... They are the best @ the moment, though I m a barca fan.
I would like to see them winning more titles this year....

Only thing is that they have to be consistent and strong @ the back, like they are doing now....
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think it's fair to say that our golden era started with the arrival of jose mourinho and continues today. I really do hope that it continues and reaps a whole lot more silverwear in the process. I don't care what titles we win, I just want us to win titles and considering the way we have been playing recently, that is certainly not beyond us. Now I understand the argument that we haven't played any quality opposition just yet. And while it is true, we haven't played against any of the elite teams this season, stoke is hardly a push-over, west ham has a pretty good team that just needs a bit of luck to be on their side to start making a few upsets, and blackpool is proving to be a very difficult team to beat this season, especially when they are at home. As I said, we haven't played any of the elite, but lets face it, it's not like we have played against 5 west broms this season. We will see just how good this years team is though in the next couple of weeks
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It might be fairer to say that the golden era started with the arrival of Abramovic

I agree with Raj the era when Chelsea became contenders was after the introduction of Ruud Gullit. In fact, at times Chelsea played some of the most attractive football ever played in England. If Chelsea's golden era is judged by being consistent contenders for domestic trophies and champions league then they are in golden era. However, if Chelsea's golden era is judged by winning domestic trophies and champions league then clearly we have witnessed these accomplishments.... Yet!
Georgiebest07 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
People, I am a little disapointed. The head of this thread is Titled " Intelligent Footy Debate" Then under it its says " Are We Witnessing Chelsea's Golden Era? " the two contradict each other. Chelsea hasnt player a proper team to be tested. Yea, they seem to be playing well together scoring goals but look at who they have played against. West Brom home, Wigan away, Stoke home, West Ham Away, Blackpool home. Lets be real here Golden Era that's a bit of a big statement, have we forgot that they lost to United in the Community Shield 3-1, say what you want about the Community Shield silverware is silveware and to say its there "Golden Era" I would hope that theyd atleast start it off right with the Community Shield!
Raj (Chelsea) 3 years ago
If you read some of the posts above, sans United supporters - they are all about how the team is and has been performing for a while now. An era doesn't represent one season or 5 games on the trot. If this topic was made back when Jose was at the helm it would still be relevant , same way it would be in the case when Fergie taking over United. A squad capable of putting teams out to compete and be considered the front-runners for every competition they get into - over a prolonged period of time, lets say 5 years for the sake of a benchmark.

Not taking your case GB, just making it clear what the thread was intended to make a point of
I ain't declaring that this is the Chelsea's golden era, I am putting the question to you. This is the point of the forums after all.
Great to have good ol' Utd fans in the discussion though
@ Raj.... I know the intention of the thread just don't want the Chelsea boys heads to get any bigger! .... I don't care what the other United Supporters said I know my own footie, but with that being said read what I said again, I said they are playing football well BUT, look who they have played. You don't have to take my case you support Chelsea, Pride comes before the fall and I am waiting for that fall. Haha
@ Pragathish.... Just making it more interesting, most Chelsea fans, can't take the criticism I figured it would cause some problems!
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Georgie I don't think you understand raj's point. I don't know if there is a single chelsea fan that will not concede that we have had an easy fixture list thus far. Any any that don't are fools. It's true. Our opponents have not been the most difficult yet. We haven't played clubs like ac milan, real madrid, barca, manchester united, etc. Yet. Your statement that most chelsea fans can't take the criticism is thus entirely incorrect as I would hardly call that criticism in the first place; rather you express an opinion that is shared by just about every football fan on the planet, including chelsea fans.

What raj was trying to say is that this topic is not just about the last 5 games. The topic is about our golden ERA. Not golden run, or golden streak. An era is not just a run of games but is an extended period of time. Case in point, what other fans on here are talking about is the last few seasons, not just the last few games
I do understand the point and I know what its about, I am educated. I just don't like Chelsea. I think it may be the Man CIty Golden Era now. 1-0.... Teves.... Also its a Forum not feckin school paper teacher Have a laugh.... COME ON uniteddddddddd!
With that, an intelligent debate is well and truly resolved
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
We will see after they've actually played a decent team. They've played teams we've all expected them to beat and beat with ease considering how they destoryed a lot of teams last season. Just wait and see
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I was waiting for someone to say this
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I more or less said this up above but well put Rob12 nevertheless
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Come to think about it, Chelsea had a terrible Pre-Season, very humorous how that changed, now that they are playing seriously
Lol when they say pre season doesn't matter I always argue but know I truly believe pre season is just a number of fluke friendlies

Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Chelsea are playing at an insane level of football right now. Most of their matches are won in the first half it seems, and it won't be long till teams are just trying to play damage control against them(if that's not already the case). Certainly there golden age is here, but they have to win a European Cup to prove it. They were so close in 08, and were a few minutes away from beating one of the best Barcelona squads ever assembled(which though short lived could be considered a golden era, at a club with some history, Maradona and Cruijff both played there). But it is crucial that they win that trophy, that being said they are playing lovely football. And this year could prove to be there year. They haven't come up against any real real quality opponent yet, and in the preseason(I know this doesn't matter) they were getting beat a lot which was interesting to me.

Great post Prag, I thought a may make a comment on your list of golden eras at certain clubs though. Madrid was a fantastic team in the galactico era, but there golden age was old school in the mid to late 50s with players that may have eclipsed Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Luis Figo, namely Alfredo di Stefano and Ferenc Puskas considered two of the best players to ever live. Puskas scored a goal a game for his national team, Di Stefano was just unexplainable, maybe not the most technically gifted player to ever live, but I think it would be hard to come up with a player that surpassed his footballing mind. In this era they won more than half of Madrid's European cups, five years in a row from the year it was founded in 1955 to 1959.

As for the Liverpool era, that would be under Bob Paisley when King Kenny was playing rather than managing. In Paisleys nine seasons we won 3 European trophies, which we had never won before, and six league titles.

Other than that your spot on Pragatish
Its been a great ride for Chelsea supporters these past 15 odd years and I figured the golden era was shimmering when a Dutch and AC Milan legend in Guillit came into the club. Bringing in a great bunch of internationals with his calling card helped, skilled players who had already proved themselves in the international and European stage. Players like Poyet, Di Matteo, Wise, Vialli, Zola, Desailly, Dechamps - I remember at one point in the 98 or 99' season (right around the time when I got my first Chelsea jersey -legend that is Dennis Wise), Chelsea were leading the league table sometime around January. We were challenging and winning FA Cups. That's around when United were at the height of their powers in bringing in all their youth talent to the foray - a time when they were deemed unstoppable.

As a club from the capital, cosmopolitan in nature there's no shame in admitting that some of the best times for the club was due to non-english players doing plenty for the club. Fighting for titles, both in European and domestic terms.... In retrospect its easy to consider that as the golden era while living through it. Right until Roman Abramovich turned up. This past decade really has been the golden era of the club.

I see the comments posted on here and they are coming from supporters of the likes of Milan, Liverpool, United. Its easy and entirely understandable for you guys to consider the 'golden era' of any club to be littered with silverware but even if Chelsea haven't won the champions league, the ultimate club competition.... Beating clubs - the likes of be Munich, Juventus, Barcelona, Liverpool and many more Euro heavyweights.... That's playing at the absolute peak as a club. Besides 5 semi finals and one final in 7 years, 3 domestic league titles and 3 FA Cups all in the space of these past 7 years - this has already been the Golden Era for Chelsea. I know I'm living through it
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well said.    But I wouldn't mind if we tacked on a couple more trophies these next upcoming seasons....
Just high and enjoying the ride Scoot haha, I am more than certain Carlo will deliver though, now and in the coming years. Roman's ego has finally worked well in picking a manager that's suited just right for the kind of period Chelsea are in right now. What many people don't realise is Carlo is still one of the younger managers around the joint. He's got a long time yet and I fully expect him to stay at the club for good period of time despite our shady record in that department
Give some 3-4 seasons, the champions league will come to your trophy cabinet for sure. Carletto knows the deal in Europe
They are certainly on a great ride at the moment. This has been a fantastic month for them.

That said, I would wait for them to repeat their win in the Premier League and snatch the Champions League as well, before talking of anything golden

Kick4Life - changing lives through football