Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Are We Witnessing Chelsea's Golden Era?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago

Raising the eyebrow,or raising the bar?

Some may argue that the season is still young,and is too early to decide--but Chelsea sure look perfect and well oiled and have finally found their man in Carletto.

So,what do I mean by 'Golden Era'? Precisely,its when your club seem solid than ever,and look unbeatable.
Such as,
AC Milan's Arrigo Sacchi era better known as Gli Invicibili....
Inter Milan under Mourinho....
Juventus before Calciopoli....
AS Roma,when they paired up Cassanata and Totti...
Liverpool under King Kenny.... (correct me on this If I'm wrong)
Manchester United in the late 90's....
Real Madrid in their famous Galacticos era...
Arsenal's Thierry Henry era....

I can only see the Blues getting better-they are no mad spenders they are presumed as,and are turning into a perfect corporation,opening their pockets only if necessary.
Inter Milan succeeded using this exact policy - a smart spending policy which only covers the holes in your roster--rather than going audacious.

And sticking to a single manager seemed to be a problem for them lately,now the problem looks solved to me - Carletto is no nonsense and completely reliable.And huge credits to Roman for using his money wisely.
Also,this could be the right time to pounce on the top spot in England as Fergie may retire in some near years,ie,an end of an empire.
Inter started their era exactly after the downfall of Milan and Juve,which came in the form of the Calciopoli.I believe Man Utd's loss may be Chelsea's hugest gain.

So,are we living in the Chelsea's golden era...Or is it just me?
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Indeed Chelsea are a force to reckon with these days and have been for many years but are now beginning to mesh with the young and the older players. Bringing Carlo into the fold has to have been Roman's crowning achievement since he took ownership of Chelsea. Its now on Carlo's firm foundation that Chelsea stand and the team has never looked better.... In my opinion. The key to Chelsea's success this year will be if the pivotal players stay healthy. I believe Micheal Essien and Petr Cech are the two most important players on the pitch for Chelsea and if they remain healthy Chelsea may just be to powerful to to stop this year
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Excuse Me! Don't forget Didier Drogba, he may not be exactly crucial - Chelsea still have players good enough to play without him but let's see what would happen if we were to take him out of the team for this season after he was the EPL's top scorer last season - they ain't winning nothing the EPL without him!
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well Drogba is important but he seems to blow up in the Champions league. The last two years he's done more harm than good in crucial moments. I'm not saying Drogba doesn't matter to Chelsea's success, only that he can't carry the team on his own. With Essien in the midfield and Cech in goal Drogba only needs be a goal scorer and does not have to spend as much energy tracking back. Last year in the two games vs Inter we were without Essien for both games and Cech went down in the first game. Without these two players Drogba is easier to cover and Chelsea become much more predictable
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I'm very, very surprised none of you mentioned Malouda, but on the other hand I'm pleased to see Essien is appreciated. IMO the most crucial players for Chelsea are:

Ashley Cole, who is the most annoying defender a striker or winger can come up against, because he never lets go once he's after you. Not just a fantastic defender, but also very effective in going forward, and he's seemingly tireless. The best LB in the EPL and possibly in the world.
Essien: IMHO he's easily the best DM in the world: pace, strength, skill, intelligence, determination, great work rate, a fearsome shot.... He's as good a DM as I can imagine. Even better than Vieira once was. The only similar player getting close to his level is Yaya Touré.
Lampard: crucial at times, although he's no Xavi, he's the clockwork of Chelsea. Not just a good passer with vista, but he also has an excellent shot, runs up and down the pitch a lot and often is in the right place to score a goal too. Very consistent and reliable.
Malouda: for a year and a half now, he's been in fantastic form. I remember not two years ago there was a debate on footytube about who was the least bad player: Kalou or Malouda. I couldn't understand Chelsea fans didn't see his potential, but shortly afterwards he proved all of his critics wrong, and he continues to do so today.
Drogba: It's a bold statement, but I consider him the best striker in England, especially the last year. Torres is great, but out of shape - and even in shape I'd prefer Drogba. Rooney is a very close second based on his performance last year, but he's yet to prove he can repeat himself year after year, Like Didier has done year in, year out. His power is his main asset, but his pace, his skill and his creativity are underrated: how many times don't you see him give a team mate a clever pass, or a very simple but effective one? He most likely has at least half as many assists as he scores goals, and he scores in abundance
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Couldn't agree with your list more jeroen, though I do feel cech and mikel needs to be added to that list.

Cech may make his fair amount of mistakes but in terms of a shot stopper, there are few better than him. His stop in the first half against blackpool can attest to that. He is a massive game changer for us and always shows up for the biggest games.

Mikel is our most underrated player in my oppinion. You said that essien is the best DM in the world, but I dissagree. I believe he is the best box-to-box midfielder at the moment but DM goes to mikel. He is an absolute rock in the midfield and while he doesn't score many goals, his passing range is superb. I think he may well be the most difficult player to get past in the PL and I can't think of many players that have been better at breaking up the play than mikel
Blueskiesahead is right in the retrospect that Cech is a real shot-stopper, I adore him for his goalkeeping skills, and for the season before last he was definitely the best Goalkeeper in the EPL. And although I don't really prefer Mikel in Defensive-Midfield, He is better at defending than Essien, Great list by Jeroen though
Very Good Point, I believe that Chelsea have finally built a team which have experience, skill and know how to play with each other, sure it's far too early to assume or predict anything (especially when they haven't really played the big boys yet e. G. Barcelona, Inter Milan etc.)however you are completely right, now that they have the right manager who has managed the team long enough and isn't ready to accept defeat on any levels. It's definitely not just you, except most people haven't really thought about the prospect yet, With Chelsea, not yet lost a game and a: brilliant team, brilliant manager and brilliant support (Both Financial and Fan Support growing incredibly fast), I think we are seeing the end of the beginning to Chelsea's Golden era, I hate to say this being a Man United Fan but I can see Chelsea going unbeaten in the premier league this season and grabbing a major competition such as the FA Cup or the Champions league or even the treble - dare I say it! Whenever I dare something good for a team competing with Man U; it normally happens, even last weekend against Everton, with 8 minutes to go I said there were 8 minutes left they could easily grab 3 and win - we're lucky to draw - don't kill me fellow Man Utd Fans
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Idk, chelsea is in great form. But we'll see how they do against a better team later on in the competition. Hope they keep this up, they playing great...
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I've no doubt this is Chelseas golden era. They are potential candidates to win every tournament they enter and have a strong enough team to cause concern for any other team out there
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
When United fans are admitting it, you know it's probably true lol.

I think we have the team to win every competition we enter unlike previous years, and if we keep the head of steam we built routing weaker teams going, we are going to give the other big boys a lot of trouble. Every other powerhouse in Europe right now is having ups and downs.... Look at where Inter and Bayern Munich are on their domestic tables. We are in great shape.

After this season, we'll see if we take home the silverware we are able to. That would be considered the christening of a new footy-master era.
I think winning or maybe just making it to the champions league finals to get beaten by the ref should be enough to lit the arse in fire.... And then will roll the era of the un-overcome-able blues causing havoc not just in England but also through out the Europe.
I think this will happen in the very near future...
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
That's just 1 fan. There'll be lots telling you Man Utd are not on the way down. Much like the same liverpool fans who keep telling me:"This is our year!" (at least until last year).... There'll be a few who give up early. Lots of others, however, won't.

Chelsea's era? Not yet. Not when ManUtd's Fergie is still around. Not when Man City got loads more $ to burn. Not when all their best players are on the wrong side of 30s, Yeah, Chelsea is good. But I don't foresee them to stretch the form for more than a couple of years. And if they can't dominate more than a couple of years on domestic title, I don't think that's an "era". Man utd and Liverpool's winning runs of titles stretched over 10 years, building more than a team. Chelsea's next batch of pillars need to match what Lampard and Drogba are doing now
I didn't say United were on the way down, but lots of United fans have paid respect to Chelsea's recent form.

And the pillars of the team are already being put in place. Remember, though, that teams CAN be bought, and with enough time to settle in, win (City's structure is unstable, and so is it's players; they need more time to before it makes sense to call them a real threat). Chelsea has a strong enough side to buy players, incorporate them slowly, and then give them long-term roles. They can get those journeymen players that they can rely on to do their job. Besides, what team in the EPL actually has a "youthful" side that is competitive aside from Arsenal? If they keep up their form, they could be Chelsea's main competitors for the title instead of United.

Every team needs rocks of players. And every team sees players go. United could see a lot of rocks going in the next few years, and have difficulty forging new ones. It takes time to build the maturity of 2nd-string players on the 1st team. And when you take into account 1 team having deficiencies in the future, you have to remember that every other team in the league will, too.

Basically, this could be the start of an era, but beyond that I can't say.
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Can I just say. Essien is back! This might just be thier year in the champions league. In my view essien and possibley a bit of consistancy was the difference between winning the title last season
Yup, Essien made a real huge difference, he was like a brand new signing!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
They are certainly on a great ride at the moment. This has been a fantastic month for them.

That said, I would wait for them to repeat their win in the Premier League and snatch the Champions League as well, before talking of anything golden
Raj (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Its been a great ride for Chelsea supporters these past 15 odd years and I figured the golden era was shimmering when a Dutch and AC Milan legend in Guillit came into the club. Bringing in a great bunch of internationals with his calling card helped, skilled players who had already proved themselves in the international and European stage. Players like Poyet, Di Matteo, Wise, Vialli, Zola, Desailly, Dechamps - I remember at one point in the 98 or 99' season (right around the time when I got my first Chelsea jersey -legend that is Dennis Wise), Chelsea were leading the league table sometime around January. We were challenging and winning FA Cups. That's around when United were at the height of their powers in bringing in all their youth talent to the foray - a time when they were deemed unstoppable.

As a club from the capital, cosmopolitan in nature there's no shame in admitting that some of the best times for the club was due to non-english players doing plenty for the club. Fighting for titles, both in European and domestic terms.... In retrospect its easy to consider that as the golden era while living through it. Right until Roman Abramovich turned up. This past decade really has been the golden era of the club.

I see the comments posted on here and they are coming from supporters of the likes of Milan, Liverpool, United. Its easy and entirely understandable for you guys to consider the 'golden era' of any club to be littered with silverware but even if Chelsea haven't won the champions league, the ultimate club competition.... Beating clubs - the likes of be Munich, Juventus, Barcelona, Liverpool and many more Euro heavyweights.... That's playing at the absolute peak as a club. Besides 5 semi finals and one final in 7 years, 3 domestic league titles and 3 FA Cups all in the space of these past 7 years - this has already been the Golden Era for Chelsea. I know I'm living through it
Well said.    But I wouldn't mind if we tacked on a couple more trophies these next upcoming seasons....
Just high and enjoying the ride Scoot haha, I am more than certain Carlo will deliver though, now and in the coming years. Roman's ego has finally worked well in picking a manager that's suited just right for the kind of period Chelsea are in right now. What many people don't realise is Carlo is still one of the younger managers around the joint. He's got a long time yet and I fully expect him to stay at the club for good period of time despite our shady record in that department
Give some 3-4 seasons, the champions league will come to your trophy cabinet for sure. Carletto knows the deal in Europe
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Chelsea are playing at an insane level of football right now. Most of their matches are won in the first half it seems, and it won't be long till teams are just trying to play damage control against them(if that's not already the case). Certainly there golden age is here, but they have to win a European Cup to prove it. They were so close in 08, and were a few minutes away from beating one of the best Barcelona squads ever assembled(which though short lived could be considered a golden era, at a club with some history, Maradona and Cruijff both played there). But it is crucial that they win that trophy, that being said they are playing lovely football. And this year could prove to be there year. They haven't come up against any real real quality opponent yet, and in the preseason(I know this doesn't matter) they were getting beat a lot which was interesting to me.

Great post Prag, I thought a may make a comment on your list of golden eras at certain clubs though. Madrid was a fantastic team in the galactico era, but there golden age was old school in the mid to late 50s with players that may have eclipsed Zidane, Roberto Carlos and Luis Figo, namely Alfredo di Stefano and Ferenc Puskas considered two of the best players to ever live. Puskas scored a goal a game for his national team, Di Stefano was just unexplainable, maybe not the most technically gifted player to ever live, but I think it would be hard to come up with a player that surpassed his footballing mind. In this era they won more than half of Madrid's European cups, five years in a row from the year it was founded in 1955 to 1959.

As for the Liverpool era, that would be under Bob Paisley when King Kenny was playing rather than managing. In Paisleys nine seasons we won 3 European trophies, which we had never won before, and six league titles.

Other than that your spot on Pragatish
Come to think about it, Chelsea had a terrible Pre-Season, very humorous how that changed, now that they are playing seriously
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Lol when they say pre season doesn't matter I always argue but know I truly believe pre season is just a number of fluke friendlies

Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
We will see after they've actually played a decent team. They've played teams we've all expected them to beat and beat with ease considering how they destoryed a lot of teams last season. Just wait and see
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I was waiting for someone to say this
I more or less said this up above but well put Rob12 nevertheless
Georgiebest07 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
People, I am a little disapointed. The head of this thread is Titled " Intelligent Footy Debate" Then under it its says " Are We Witnessing Chelsea's Golden Era? " the two contradict each other. Chelsea hasnt player a proper team to be tested. Yea, they seem to be playing well together scoring goals but look at who they have played against. West Brom home, Wigan away, Stoke home, West Ham Away, Blackpool home. Lets be real here Golden Era that's a bit of a big statement, have we forgot that they lost to United in the Community Shield 3-1, say what you want about the Community Shield silverware is silveware and to say its there "Golden Era" I would hope that theyd atleast start it off right with the Community Shield!
If you read some of the posts above, sans United supporters - they are all about how the team is and has been performing for a while now. An era doesn't represent one season or 5 games on the trot. If this topic was made back when Jose was at the helm it would still be relevant , same way it would be in the case when Fergie taking over United. A squad capable of putting teams out to compete and be considered the front-runners for every competition they get into - over a prolonged period of time, lets say 5 years for the sake of a benchmark.

Not taking your case GB, just making it clear what the thread was intended to make a point of
I ain't declaring that this is the Chelsea's golden era, I am putting the question to you. This is the point of the forums after all.
Great to have good ol' Utd fans in the discussion though
@ Raj.... I know the intention of the thread just don't want the Chelsea boys heads to get any bigger! .... I don't care what the other United Supporters said I know my own footie, but with that being said read what I said again, I said they are playing football well BUT, look who they have played. You don't have to take my case you support Chelsea, Pride comes before the fall and I am waiting for that fall. Haha
@ Pragathish.... Just making it more interesting, most Chelsea fans, can't take the criticism I figured it would cause some problems!
Georgie I don't think you understand raj's point. I don't know if there is a single chelsea fan that will not concede that we have had an easy fixture list thus far. Any any that don't are fools. It's true. Our opponents have not been the most difficult yet. We haven't played clubs like ac milan, real madrid, barca, manchester united, etc. Yet. Your statement that most chelsea fans can't take the criticism is thus entirely incorrect as I would hardly call that criticism in the first place; rather you express an opinion that is shared by just about every football fan on the planet, including chelsea fans.

What raj was trying to say is that this topic is not just about the last 5 games. The topic is about our golden ERA. Not golden run, or golden streak. An era is not just a run of games but is an extended period of time. Case in point, what other fans on here are talking about is the last few seasons, not just the last few games
I do understand the point and I know what its about, I am educated. I just don't like Chelsea. I think it may be the Man CIty Golden Era now. 1-0.... Teves.... Also its a Forum not feckin school paper teacher Have a laugh.... COME ON uniteddddddddd!
With that, an intelligent debate is well and truly resolved
I think it's fair to say that our golden era started with the arrival of jose mourinho and continues today. I really do hope that it continues and reaps a whole lot more silverwear in the process. I don't care what titles we win, I just want us to win titles and considering the way we have been playing recently, that is certainly not beyond us. Now I understand the argument that we haven't played any quality opposition just yet. And while it is true, we haven't played against any of the elite teams this season, stoke is hardly a push-over, west ham has a pretty good team that just needs a bit of luck to be on their side to start making a few upsets, and blackpool is proving to be a very difficult team to beat this season, especially when they are at home. As I said, we haven't played any of the elite, but lets face it, it's not like we have played against 5 west broms this season. We will see just how good this years team is though in the next couple of weeks
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It might be fairer to say that the golden era started with the arrival of Abramovic

I agree with Raj the era when Chelsea became contenders was after the introduction of Ruud Gullit. In fact, at times Chelsea played some of the most attractive football ever played in England. If Chelsea's golden era is judged by being consistent contenders for domestic trophies and champions league then they are in golden era. However, if Chelsea's golden era is judged by winning domestic trophies and champions league then clearly we have witnessed these accomplishments.... Yet!
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Ya.... I think so.... Chelsea is crusing folks.... They are the best @ the moment, though I m a barca fan.
I would like to see them winning more titles this year....

Only thing is that they have to be consistent and strong @ the back, like they are doing now....
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 3 years ago
Def would say the Blues are the best in England and arguebaly the best in Europe, but I think we are witnessing a golden age in Barcelona

Kick4Life - changing lives through football