Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Alternative To Penalties
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Our favourite uncontested ruler of football (Sepp Blatter) has tasked German legend Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the "Tragedy" of penalty shoot outs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Blatter states that when football comes down to a one on one situation it loses its "essence" (by essence we can assume he means 20 players). Although what he states is true the problem is any alternative apart from playing the game until someone wins will lose the 'essence' of the game.

Now I have been on the wrong end of nearly every penalty shoot out I have watched where I care about the team involved (in fact the only win I have experienced was England Spain in Euro 96). If you asked me at the end of each of those matches if I thought penalties was a fair way to end a match I would shout NO in your face through drunken tears.

What is the alternative though? Here are some popular options.

Golden Goal. In my humble opinion this is the best way to decide a match as it is basically one team against another and unlike in most extra times they are trying to score. The two biggest issues of this method is a) If a team does score there is a bit of a feeling of 'Oh is that it' for everyone except the winning fans. b) There is still a chance the teams do not score so either you have to play FOREVER or finish it and go to penalties.

Player Removal. This has been mentioned a few times but never tried. Basically the principle is every X minutes of extra time both teams have to take off a player. On the positive side this would add a wonderfully tactical edge as managers try and decide who to remove on the downside if the time frame was 5 minutes (the least you would need to see any effect on the pitch) potentially after 50 minutes we would have goalies taking pitch length shots at each other until one of them collapsed in exhaustion.

Centre Circle Drop I have heard various version of this the basic principle is the ball is dropped in the centre circle the player(s) brings it forward and tries to score. Versions include one on one, two on three. One on one would basically become a penalty shoot out with a little jog and two on three would just spread the emotional pain of loss over more players.

Judging Panel After 90 minutes if the match is a draw we got to the judges who mark the teams on possession, attacking intent and style. If the judges cannot decide it goes to a phone vote of the viewers.

What do you think?
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I don't mind penalties but I hate games which the teams are playing for penalties too.

There should be changes made to increase the flow on the pitch.

In my opinion, more substitutes should be given in extra time and 30 minutes should be increased and golden goal used
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Yeah I like the extra substitutes for extra time idea, that's a good one!
MemoNick (Olympique Lyon) 2 years ago
Why not leave penalty shoot-outs? Golden Goal can potentially end in a penalty shoot-out, as can the player removal. Centre Circle is almost like a shoot-out, and the judging panel would always create a lot of controversy.

I think the penalty shoot-out is the fairest of all the unfair methods
EriqTugume (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Penalty shoot outs of course
Penalty shootout's as unfair as they can seem is still the best way to break 2 teams apart if after 2 half's of 45 minutes and a further 2 of 15 minutes cannot separate the 2 teams then a shootout is still the way to go about it in my eye's!

Although the judging panel idea might be a hit, Simon Cowwel would definitely be interested in that! Lol

The golden goal might come back though for extra time, make's extra time a bit more watchable when 2 tired teams are still going for goal instead of just playing it out for the lottery that is the shootout!
Northgreen (AC Milan) 2 years ago
The golden goal has already been tried and the result was that the teams were more caution than usual because of the danger of one counter attack would spoil it all for them. Actually, more of the games using golden goal rule has ended in a penalty shootout than the regular ones.

And I don't know, I kind a like the idea of pulling out players 1 by 1 in addition as well. (Still let it go to penalty shootout if nothing is decided within 50 minutes or whenever they end up being 1on1)
Areacodeboy7 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
A f*****g judging panel? Are you kiddding. You are a damn fool for suggesting that. Teams like Barca would always be favoured then. I'm open to everything else but a judging panel is absoulutely disgusting. Football doesn't need that. If any I'm still all down to penalties. Penalties separate the men from boys and still show who has the nerve, technique and best anticipation. It's not a luck of the draw thing
Penalties is still a lottery whichever way you look at it, Chelsea proved that I the champions league final!

Ronaldo and Messi considered to be the worlds 2 best players miss penalties, just depends on your luck on the day!
Greyphantom (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
There is no better way than penalties. The idea of taking players of the pitch is nearly as ridiculous as the judging panel. Because at the end of a long tournament in extra time of a long game this will cause heavy injuries. This has nothing to do with sports, but reminds me of the gladiators of the circus maximus
Jon1979 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
I'm fine with penalties.... As long as one team does not watch all the highlights of another teams penalties and then try all game long to force penalties!
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
If judge votes start happening, can players "call a friend" or use a "50/50 split" to see who wants to be a millionaire wins the match?

Two on three, one on one, ten on eight, eleven on one - it's a bit silly if a game runs into extra time and suddenly becomes street football (that is, anything shy of 11 vs. 11) played on a very large and empty parking lot. However, there's no doubt it would be fun to watch futsal or street football, just in a different setting with "less" at stake.

On the other hand....

Golden goal is always a nice way to end things, especially because it immediately credits the player and team who are able to break their opponents' defence. The lack of a golden goal is similar to what one of my friends said about his job as a programmer: "Sometimes, a victory in programming after some 8 straight hours of battling ends not with a "hoorah!" but with an exhausted "okay.... Now for the next problem".

Of course, this runs parallel to the idea of having to defend a lead after scoring a goal in extra time.
Nitro (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I think another option can be.... If both teams draw in normal time and extra time then the game should stop. Both teams should go back to a local hotel and resume the game the next day with the exact same players that were playing (unless there is any injuries in which case can be subed) and play out another 45/90 mins game and this should continue until there is a winner.

However this again might go on forever LOL
I think financial fair play should be implemented! And using technology; like video tapes of bayern penalties, should not be used often...
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 2 years ago
With all the recent heart attacks and tragedies, there has to be some concern for players' health, a "play till you drop" or next day replay must be out of the question.
I'm in favour of penalties, because cruelty and fate are components of football
There has to be more concern for players' health, there is already some concern. I agree with the next day replay, but playing till you drop is part of football nothing can be done about it. Injuries happen....

Penalties are fine, especially when teams don't gain the upper hand by using technology or playing for penalties while placing all their best penalty takers on the pitch! If cruelty and fate are components of football, they are so, regardless of penalties.
Innoxious (Manchester United) 2 years ago
What about teams' head-to-head comparison from the whole tournament? Who had done better through to the final deserves the title more
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 2 years ago
This is reasonable. Overall number of victories, then goal difference, fair enough
Catchtherainbow 2 years ago
Penalties are exciting and add to the nail biting experience of football. All teams have the ability to practice them and study the other teams penalty takers and keepers, so what is unfair?
This thread must be in reply to the champions league final. In which case, Bayern had plenty of opportunities in regular time to win the game or alter their strategies to push for another goal
I dunno, ask Blatter what is unfair if he said it was.... I never said it was unfair! But if things are unfair it would probably be due to financial reasons
Rudd (Manchester United) 2 years ago
How about each player from each team comes off every 5 minutes of extra time (the manager able to pick who) and it goes on until somebody scores the winning goal?! The minimum player in each team is 4 outfields and a keeper.
Substitutions are allowed
DANAFC (Arsenal) 2 years ago
How about team with most shots on target wins. If level, it goes to corners, and if its still level just shots
Northgreen (AC Milan) 2 years ago
And take away credit from the goalkeeper who has been saving those shots? No thanks.

Then I rather judge at who has more throw ins before shots on target
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Controversial discussion is a good thing. Where would we all be if we didn't have that penalty shootout to talk about? What'd be more memorable: A missed penalty in a tense penalty shootout or a 1-0 win?

A penalty shootout breaks your nerves. It takes you on an emotional roller coaster in the span of 10 kicks of a ball. Taking it out would be a mistake in my books. However, we could try avoiding it, by introducing some extra substitution opportunities once extra time starts, possibly based on the number of shots on target to try and promote teams that go for it instead of sitting back and parking the bus

Kick4Life - changing lives through football