Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
ABC Run
AbbeyC 5 years ago
A suggestion for a footballing neologism: I give you the Assist By Critical Run.

What is an ABC Run?

It is a run made by a player who does not receive the ball. Rather than directly creating the goal by playing the final pass to the scorer (an Assist), the player who performs an ABC Run draws the attention of at least one defender, who chooses to follow him or her. This then creates space for the scorer of the said goal, to, well, score.

Give me an example!

ABC Run by Theo Walcott

In last season's home victory over Manchester United, Arsenal's Nasri scored two goals. It was his second though, that included an ABC Run. Before Fabregas made a perfectly weighted pass to Nasri, Theo Walcott made an excellent run drawing both Vidic and more importantly Ferdinand away, leaving Nasri with the opportunity to convert a sublime goal.

I have an excellent video, but it's from ESPN. Please befriend and ask.
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
We never had a acronym for it we just used to shout 'Oh the defenders made a mistake there'
AbbeyC 5 years ago
Matt, I would say 'ABC Run' was the more simple, catchy, and positive term than what you used to shout
I guess that would depend on which team you support!
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I like the idea. Van Persie had an ABC Run a couple of days ago.... I'll see if I can find it
AbbeyC 5 years ago
MainEvent, cheers! Good luck finding it
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Interesting thread, and the first time i've had to use a dictionary on FT to decipher the first sentence.

I profer an addition to the ABC.

The ABCS. Which is, Assist By Critical Standing.

First candidate: Emile Heskey

Here's a photo of him doing what he does best.

And here's an ABCD from our favourite winker:

Surely that ABCD should be Eduardo!
I like the idea of coining new phrases so I give to you ABR! Assist by Reputation.

What is an ABR?

An ABR happens when you have a world famous player on your squad that draws the attention of the most experienced/majority of players leaving the lesser lights more space.

This happens a lot but an example albeit very old was a Southampton match when Le Tiss was at his peak he was being marked by 2 to 3 defenders at all times, Le Tiss wised up to this and in dead ball situations he would basically run (lope) to the edge of the area thus eliminating 2 defenders form the danger area
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
So what neologism are we going to come up with for the opposite of that?

I give you:

*Waits for adrenaline rush to subside
*shudders    This was an ablor    Assist by lack of reputation, as all the Argentine defenders seriously underestimated him
AbbeyC 5 years ago
I like the ABR! Although I can't help but feel that the ambiguity in these definitions would have the statisticians sweating...
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
ABR now? Commentators are going to have to work harder for their pay! But Michael Owens goal has to be about the most perfect example you could have come up with the explain your new acronym. Good job Matt
AbbeyC 5 years ago
I'm really enjoying this!

What about a particular type of ABC Run?

I've never seen this done but it really should be tried.

Making an ABCO Run: Assist By Critical Offside Run.

The runner, probably a winger, makes a run that a defender follows, which then plays onside another player, on a different part of the pitch
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
That would be epic beyond description
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Okay, I think we're going a little carried away
AbbeyC 5 years ago
Perhaps but why not allow the tides of intelligent self-pleasure carry you also! It's a lot of fun on the wave of intellectual ejaculations!

Probably will run out of types of critical assist soon.... Unless you've got another one...
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Hows about an ABFI: Assist by Faking Injury

A player who was rolling about on the floor, clutching their ankle springs up and runs to help a goal once they see they have a chance to score.

Or

ABCF run: Assist by Crazy Fro

A player with a crazy haircut runs around in a zigzag distracting the defenders?

SHUNGEN (Nagoya Grampus) 5 years ago
Everton seems to be a big fan of this ABCF tactic.... They have Jo and Fellani....
This is one for the Croatians out there, I give you

ABKP:

Assist by Knobbling Players, this is where you ask your players before an important international match to kick the crap out of and injur the players that may form part of the future opposing team. This will give you an easy tie!

This is also known as ASPB: Absolute S**t Paranoid B*****ks

Kick4Life - changing lives through football