Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
3 Players That Can Save Liverpool's Skins If They Come To Anfield.
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
We all know that Liverpool has lost their last 6 matches out of 7. Their form is terribly bad, so who do you think can save Liverpool IF they would come to Anfield? Only choose 3. Any players, even the ones that are impossible to join Liverpool.

My choices:

1. Left- back (Eric Abidal)
2. Holding midfield (Xabi Alonso)
3. Back-up striker (Gonzalo Higuain, Klas Jan Huntelaar)

They need a left-back because Insua is crap, I know he is just a young player and we need to give him some chance, but he made loads of mistake in the Fulham match. Not marking tightly at all, not defending well. Then Aurelio is also too injury-prone. They need a left back that can defend well, not only going forward to attack since they got already a right-back that can attack well. Abidal is a great choice.

Holding midfield the kind like Xabi Alonso and Paul Scholes which can pass the ball very well, but both are impossible to come to Anfield so Liverpool only can pray for Aquilani to save their skins. So I would choose Xabi Alonso, he is the only one that can save Liverpool's skins right now even though there's not much chance that he would come to Anfield. If not, you depend on Lucas? Oh, I mean come on.

A back-up striker that can replace Torres when injured, I know Kuyt is already a striker, but what if Kuyt is also injured? I know there's such things won't really happen but it will still happen. You expect Voronin and N'Gog? Higuain and Huntelaar would be great choices as they will provide goal-scoring rates. Higuain is a super-sub and he has proved himself in Real Madrid, Huntelaar is a goal-scoring machine which can provide consistent goals for Liverpool
Ltm017 5 years ago
Don't even think insua should be in left-back position.... He has no place in the back.... Well he attacks better than defend anyway.... At least in my opinion
Johnbull (Millwall) 5 years ago
The father, son and holy ghost and a church full of prayers
Keong (Manchester United) 5 years ago
2 is enough, the 2 david from valencia! Yes, david villa and david silva!
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
They don't need more strikers. It isn't the lack of goals whcih is holding them down. Torres has been on formidable form, just seems a bit injury prone to me. Liverpool were doing better at the start of the season than now. Benayoun scored a hat-trick. But Gerrard has been missing and Kuyt isn't the best striker without support when Torres has been away. I think they need tighter markers in defence on the flanks and they need a stronger midfield. I mean, they've sold Alonso, Gerrard's out, and they don't have a right winger.

------Kuyt------------------Lucas----------------------------Mascherano----------------Benayoun-----

I mean, there is no player there completely capable of their job. Riera has been okay but since Babel came he has been utter cow pat, he's counted as a striker when he had that miss of the season. He's lanky. Here's Liverpool's most probable team for the next match.

-----------------------------------Reina---------------------------

--Kelly------------Skrtel-------------------Agger----------Insua--

---Kuyt----------Lucas--------------Mascherano------------Benayoun--

---------------------------------------------------Babel-------

-------------------------Torres--------------------------------

But I'm sure they'll be back on track once they get Carragher and Degen back from suspension, Aurelio and Gerrard back from injury and so on...
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Babel has been utterly useless for liverpool. He had potential, but I really doubt he'll be able to realize that after so many years of bad games for the reds. I think this season is really just proving what many believed would happen. Liverpool is really, really missing xabi alonso
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 5 years ago
I agree with Blueskiesahead about Babel. Putting it lightly he's at best a good back-up. Kuyt has been very solid as a striker mainly in Torres' stead. The missing link for Liverpool is definitely having lost Alonso. The midfield is full of holes. Benayoun has stepped in very well but he's a winger not a true middle player
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 5 years ago
We can't afford
Rockerr (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Both kelly and skrtel are injured, so they are not gonna' play in the next match. Also heard that aquilani is gonna' play!
Lets hope the italian makes an impression, liverpool definatly need someone other than torres and gerrard to do that afterall
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think Babel receives the unwelcome criticism he receives from Liverpool fans. The fact is that Babel isn't a regular. Put him on even if he does not score in 5 consecutive games because all that can happen is he will get better game after game. I know Berbatov can go on 5 games without scoring but Ferguson keeps faith in him and still makes him play. To make Torres play by himself is unacceptable especially when you know that he can get injured anytime. If you have someone playing alongside Torres as a partner, when Torres becomes injured atleast you have another regular striker that can come on. Rafa should play Torres and Babel together till the end of the season in his starting 11 regardless of if Babel scores or not because he is bound to get better. Babel is there to prove a point and I think in his defence he is not given the opportunity when you Rafa hardly starts him.
If Babel is not a choice, then someone fire the Owner and bring some new owners so Rafa has the money he can spend on a world class striker which would give Liverpool a great chance of competing for trophies and not getting eliminated in November. Liverpool fans deserve better compared to what they get
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Right. Babel certainly packs a good shot in his foot. And good ball dribbling. Maybe a little bit more trust in him might build up his confidence and hence upping the scoring rate. The thing with Rafa nowadays is that he doesn't have enough patient. Just like what he did with Keane. Can't expect Robbie keane to turn on the magic almost instantly without playing him consistently right?
Good point, I mean anyone who has played the game knows just how greatly confidence can affect a player. When your playing every game though it makes you feel like you HAVE to step up for the sake of the team. And he really hasn't been given much of a fair trial while at anfield
Yeah, I really don't think Rafa should have sold Keane back. It wasn't like he wasn't performing well for Liverpool, he was doing a pretty good job. Was scoring goals and was playing a great part in assist. He for some has less faith in most of his strikers as he has been with Babel. I think Liverpool should have signed for Micheal Owen when he was a free agent but I don't think Rafa would have had the patience with Micheal Owen as Ferguson does, not saying I am unhappy with Owen being at United, I love it but think he would have chosen Liverpool over United had Rafa approached him when he was a free agent
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Alonso:he was an amazing player at Liverpool. People were saying that Liverpool won some games without Torres and Gerrard that is bcuz we had some1 like Alonso.
Pato:This guy and Torres up front will change Liverpools fortunes. They will be scoring goals for fun.
Maxwelleople are saying we need a left back well Maxwell is one of the most underrated left backs that there is. He is very good when he's attacking and defending.

Then get rid of Rafa and bring in Jose Mourinho
I don't think Maxwell is that prolific at defending. He is only very good in assisting and attacking. Since Liverpool have a good attacking right-back, what for getting another attacking wing-back, just get somebody like Abidal who would defend well on the flank
Pato is a great player but I don't think Rafa will use him the proper way. Pato deserves to play in a team like Arsneal because he is young and Wenger knows how to deal with young players better than Rafa, just my thought
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
1. The Father  2. The Son  3. The Holy Spirit
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Funny that a fan of ac milan says this
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
Hahaha.... Nice one zishan07
At least milan has won a few of their recent games
Catholic? That seems familiar to me since I'm from a Catholic school
Lol that was good one
Shghal (Borussia Dortmund) 5 years ago
Hhhh nice view from Milan fan
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think they don't need any new players, liverpool is a big club who have big ambitions, and I think that aslong as they have gerrard and torres playing then they can bounce back and do well this season, even if they are basically out of the title race
Ltm017 5 years ago
No they need defenders. And they need to tighten midfield. Torres and Gerrard can't carry a whole team. I'm sorry love love Torres but its the truth.

Big Ambition.... Ambition I s just a start...
This is a team play and if your success is linked to 2-3 footballers, you deserve to lose
Very true. People always critisize arsenal for its lack of depth, but in my oppinion liverpool needs improvement in that area more than any other top team in the world at the moment. They really need to get better players to go alongside torres and gerrard. Those two are not enough to win the title
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Every year needs improvements and tweakings. Because if just because you are a big clubs and you stay put, others will climb all over you very quickly. An improvement of max 2 to 3 players would be good.

However, Liverpool did bring in few players. Kragisto, Johnson, Aquilani.... But at the same time lose important ones. The unreplaceable guys kept getting sidelines also. So you get the point. Liverpool gonna' lose out a lot in the EPL race this year. And they chose a wrong year to do that. Why? Because the ultra rich Man City will get better. Should liverpool lose out on Championsleague spot, it'll be very very hard to get back to that level
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
I reckon they need 2 centre backs, and a creative midfielder.
Who? .... Is anybodys guess, whose available, can liverpool afford them.... Its not that easy
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
They bought Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens, and haven't played him as a centre back at all really. Skrtel does his job but isn't such a great defender and I just don't think Carragher is as good as he was. He scores own goals a lot and makes hundreds of mistakes. An extra reason why Liverpool haven't played as good as they could have done so far this year - Hopefully for the Reds and their fans Rafa will secure some deals in January
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Some one that can support Carragher. If some one can go back in time and bring back alan hanson that would be nice
Carragher has been one of the problems this season. So inconsistent. I think its coming time for him to hang up his boots.... Of course then liverpool will have to deal with benitez selecting a defender to replace him, and we all know how that's worked recently
He has had some bad days. But he perfoms he can do really well. No, not time yet. I want him to stay for a long time. He is like the soul of the team, gerrard is the heart
Yea when he's on, he's on and he does have alot of experience. I just don't feel that he is starting material anymore for one of the big 4 in england. I mean as SAF said, consistency wins you titles, and carragher just isn't consistent anymore as much as I hate to say it. But point is they need at least one world class center back, whether that cb partners carragher or another player that is already at anfield is a dilemma for another day
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
And Torres is the brain? Yea though I agree
Haha Manuk- And well I disagree. Carragher can and will be consistant if the team perform. Also he works behind the scenes too. He told in the interview its his job some times to influence the youngsters like lucas
I wasn't talking to Blue boy here I meant for that post to be the one after yours lol. Though I didn't know he influenced youngsters at liverpool that makes him really important
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
Having conceded so many goals already the problem obviously lies in the defensive aspect of the team. Letting Alonso go and not replacing him with a solid holding midfielder that can pass a ball will take it's toll over the course of a season. Mascherano clearly could fill this role but his future looks like it will be away from Anfield. Gareth Barry would have been absolutely ideal for them.

Also, there are problems at each position in the back line. Carragher looks slower and less decisive than ever before, Glen Johnson is a very good attacking full-back but doesn't offer much defensively, Kyrgiakos doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over even Sami Hyypia! I think it would take more than a few new players to save Liverpool's title challenge this year. They already seem to be reliant on the other contenders slipping up. And a month away from Xmas, that's a very surprising thing
1. John terry (not gonna' happen)

2. David villa (allows gerrard to move back into midfield and help out there where they are sorely lacking)

3. Guus hiddink/fabio capello
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Incuteration, I like the the two strikers you have proposed. Apparently AC Milan are going to be selling Klas Jan Huntelaar during the January transfer window which means he should be cheap. Although I don't know if he would perform, I thought once he left real madrid he would start scoring goals again but he hasn't been doing anything for Milan. Higuain would be a really good option but I don't see real madrid selling him. If they do sell him they would be really stupid because I think he has the potential to become one of the best strikers.

As for left back, I don't think we need anybody new. Aurelio was the first choice left back last season with 24 league appearances and Insua only got 10 games so I don't know why you would say he is too injury prone. Liverpool's defence is the same as last year with the exception of Hyppia and Arbeloa so it really shouldn't be letting in so many goals.

Obviously things would be different if everybody wasn't injured. Before jumping the gun we should see if a fully fit Liverpool team is performing or not. If it isn't then I think we need to think of bringing in new players. Although I do think we need another striker because having just Torres inst good enough
1. David Villa.

You said Any 3 players and for me a player that would part greatly with torres is villa. He can rip through defences and tear teams apart with his spanish partner. And there is no doubt he is the best finisher in the world today. Also if one gets injured...Theres enough quality left to dominate the next game.

2. De Rossi

I like Rossi a lot. I like the fact that he can defend and attack very well. Very much like alonso. His free kicks are awesome. And also has a good head on him. He is the among the best defensive milfelders today. Along with pirlo and cambiasso.

3. Alex

Alex is too good to be a reserve in the chealsea team today. He deserves first team football as for he is awesome. For me he is as great as terry when it comes to defending. He would part with carragher greatly.

Also he can do the robot Haha
Brilliant! That's something you lack at Liverpool.... Someone who can dance that's a nice photoshop on Villa's one BTW
We can't afford
I wish the owners would give the cash for these players. I really do
Great options. All of them would definatly help out liverpool. Wow if they had them, they would probably be one of the most dangerous teams in the world, not just the premiere league
Yeah I think so too. I think a 4-2-2-2 formation would be great.

Mashy + De Rossi In Defensive Midfield

Gerrard + Aquallani Slightly Up the Pitch

And

Torres + Villa in Strike.

Ta da, enough support torres will ever need

What happened to Villa?
You'd have two Dirk Kuyts in your starting 11, Mate?! I'm not sure how many Liverpool fans even want the original one!
Oh what did I do there. Lemme edit that
LOL One Kuyt is enough I think
That's better! Nobody likes poor Dirk enough to select him twice!
Those are pretty good players that you have though of, David Villa and de Rossi would be magnificent signings for Liverpool and Villa seems to be a player that is always fit and scores goals
Thank you manuk and salt. Jman- yes I believe so. But I cannot see any of that ever ever ever happening
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 5 years ago
This is all great speculation and I would love to see things pick up for Liverpool this Season. Although I think it will be a struggle for them to qualify for the Champions League which will in turn force Gillette to sell to the Saudis. The End result will be that next summer Liverpool will be the next Man City. By that I mean they will have lots of money to rebuild the team and reputation that once struck fear into all the hearts of Europe
Bloody owners more cheap then wenger some days. I wish some unknown billionair ariabian does buy liverpool. It would give us the money and finally bring back the premiership title
With the Latest takeovers that's what everyone wants but don't you think it's sorta unfair?
Yeah I guess it is. But I think liverpool needs a bit of finacial support to compete with the other big 4
RetroFC (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Xabi departure is the biggest mistake. Even they have old and lazy defender like carra, the midfielder can hold the ball, now its gone. Bring great defender and def. Midfielder to rescue liverpool
Yeah. Reality is hitting us now. I guess his settled in madrid now, can't see him coming back
Poor poor unfortunate Liverpool
I think he would have not gone in the first place if Rafa was not trying to sell him by force last year. To force to sell Alonso to make money to buy Barry. Neither did he get Barry and he lost Alonso who even became a greater player last year for Liverpool. He was great help in helping Liverpool also win the champions league last time. I feel like the loss of Alonso is being felt more than the loss or Ronaldo for United
Yeah true. United still have a lot of dept in the team. Liverpool have lost thier star man that had made all those chances last year. I honestley can't see us beating chealsea twice last season withought him. Those two games shows us how amazing he really is
Yes yes so sad, you should have kept Xabi your team was thin depth wise as it was. In my opinion Xabi is your third best player and is desperately needed right now for you guys
No.... Xabi was our Best player
Better than Gerrard?
Well no. But in some sense more important then gerrard
Ah I see
So now many of you said Villa, but think twice. Do Liverpool really need Villa? They are not on a striker crisis or something, and Villa couldn't afford to be sitting on the bench for the striker spot since Liverpool's formation only allows a striker, Villa will not be happy if he sits on the bench and there are way better clubs who would let him start than sitting on the bench.

Think twice, you guys only can choose 3 players, no use for some very very good player to come but there's no use in the squad
Your right there isn't much of a problem with strikers at liverpool, but there is in midfield. And at the moment, gerrard is playing as a striker, when they desperatly need him in the middle of the park. Villa would be a great replacement for gerrard in his current role, whilst allowing gerrard to move back and send the passes towards the two spaniards. We also know just how much benitex loves spanish players. Perfect fit in my oppinion
Can you honestley see villa Sitting on the bench? Seriousley if he made the deal, I would tell gerrard " screw YOU " or let him play as a left midfield postion like he does for england
Agreed though I wouldn't tell him "screw you" haha I'd play him in his midfield roll
He will do anything for the team so yeah
I think an extra Striker is needed by Liverpool and Villa will be an amazing signing for Liverpool. Liverpool need to play a 4-4-2 formation with Torres and Villa playing alongside each other. Torres is not a player who can guarantee you 38 games a season. If Liverpool have Villa and Torres playing alongside each other, they will form as a much strong Partnership as Rooney and Ronaldo did for United or Rooney and Berbatov do for United and as strong as Drogba and Anelka do for Chelsea. When either of one of the strikers are injured, they can play as a lone striker. If Torres is injured, you have Villa who can play a lone striker role and still be a star player for you and win games single handily for Liverpool which something Liverpool currently lack
Exactly. I think the lone striker thing tactic will drive torres away. We can't always rely on his miracles
Agreed But so far Rafa has been too stubborn
So true. Rafa simply seems to refuse to stray from his 4-2-3-1 formation
Exactly he needs another striker to support, I don't like the 1 striker alone thing
As I think about it more, I think Rafa has gotten alot of decisions wrong, like a tremendous amount of decision wrong. If he had not committed those mistakes, who knows, Liverpool could have won alot of things. Sold Crouch and Keane; relies solely on Torres and does not seem to trust much in his other striking options; decided to have Barry in his team and get rid of Alonso; made alot of substitution errors during games
Yeah, but don't forget, thier is a mangering genious somewhere in him
He won the Champs league his first season, give him that
Yes he did. And lol in portugal when he was appointed as manager. No liverpool fan out there could have predicted this outcome
FUTBAL (Chelsea) 5 years ago
John Terry, Xabi Alonso and Andres Iniesta
Pragathish (AC Milan) 5 years ago
John terry? You must be kidding!
Completely agree with you there futbal. They really need someone to disperse the play, and who better to do that than xavi and iniesta, and JT could lighten up any defence. He's a great defender with real leadership skills
Haules (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Not even in your sweetest dreams. He is for life at Chelsea. The same can be said for Iniesta
FUTBAL (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Of course, JT and Iniesta would be loyal to their respective clubs. However, the issue here is not about who would be available for Liverpool but is just about who can save Liverpool assuming that all players are possible for them to be picked. Of course, it might not happen in reality but we are judging this theoretically

Kick4Life - changing lives through football