Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
3 30-minute Halves In 2022?
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
So by now I assume we've all heard of the extreme heat in Qatar, which will host the 2022 World Cup.

After dismissing the idea (I think) of holding the 2022 WC in the winter months, FIFA and my dear old friend Seppy have considered the possibility of splitting the 90 minute game into thirds, each lasting 30 minutes instead of the traditional 45. Once again, I will assume that there will be an additional half time rest period.

I am totally against the idea. Besides the fact that it's probably completely against the laws of the game, I think it would not help as much as it sounds. Players are already used to playing 2 45 minute halves. It's easier said than done to just get them used to 3 periods of 30, and unless this was implemented into league, the players would have no practice. I also think it would be unfair to the managers, who plan they strategy around the aspect of two periods of play.
Also, what about extra time? If there were three periods, there's be more extra time, and would actually lengthen the game. The bottom line is, I think a change like this would hurt more than help.

What do you think? Agree or disagree? And do you have any other possible solutions, such as no added time, a golden goal, automatic penalty shootout after regular time, etc?
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Short and sweet, its not even worth discussing, if its held in qatar, I won't even watch it, what a farce, can fifa go any lower?
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
HEY qatar IS awsome.... OK!.... They got like.... Sand.... And stuff k!  
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
FIFA have come out and rubbished this story but I wouldnt put it past them to do something stupid for the sake of money
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Hey Georgio, you forgot to mention oil.... Lol
Tanmay (Footytube Moderator) 3 years ago
The English objections to Qatar are so ridiculous as not even to deserve attention. Nevertheless, those who think Qatar's climate is unsuitable for football should hear me out. Yes it's hot in Qatar, just like it's cold in other parts of the world, or high altitude, or humid, or very dry, or rainy. FIFA recognizes that football is a global sport, and NOT a European sport, and it is rightly ensuring that the sport reaches out to all parts of the world, and not just Europe and Latin America. To do so, it is right in playing football everywhere except in high altitude areas, since the lack of oxygen is a legitimate concern. As for "very hot" conditions, let me remind you that players from all over the world have to come to your backyards to participate in the competition and haven't whined about the cold. And YES I have lived in England, and being Indian, did find it quite cold on rainy days even in summer. So, pretty please with a cherry on top, man up and play the game instead of whining because you're being denied age old privileges for the first time in almost a century.

@Joeymac Sorry about the digression I agree with you it's a bad idea, and I don't believe that Fifa seriously considered this proposal
OTT here. Just felt like answering to Tanmay.

The English objections- not just the English. Pretty much the whole british community , the europeans, the aussies, the americans, the japs and koreans (though its quite logical they won't get WC anytime soon) and pretty much everyone else who follows world football are pissed with the voting and Qatar got the WC.

Yes it's hot in Qatar - not just hot . Over 50 degree is killer. Read the link:

Link: www.qatarliving.com/node/16867. Imagine playing football now for people not living in the region. I can forsee if the qataris trained well, bought a few more mercenary footballers who are talented, then the first asian champion of the world might occur at 2022.

Fifa recognizes that football is a global sport, and NOT a European sport, and it is rightly ensuring that the sport reaches out to all parts of the world, and not just Europe and Latin America. - I think Fifa executives recognise CASH more.

Except in high altitude areas, since the lack of oxygen is a legitimate concern. - It really contradicts what you wrote later in the 7th line......"As for "very hot" conditions let me remind you that players from all over the world have to come to your backyards to participate in the competition and haven't whined about the cold. " because the "very hot" condition is a potential killer. Ever heard of heat stroke? It kills.... (scary......) and so if lack of oxygen is a concern, heat is also major health hazard .

Man up and play the game instead of whining because you're being denied age old privileges for the first time in almost a century. - Half agreed but not totally. You see, the English are dumped out by the Russian oil rather than the Middle eastern oil. They whine because no fans wants to melt under the sun to watch lethargic footballers, can't bring a beer out of the stadium as it's a crime etc etc. And if you are watching on the telly having gamble big on your fave team, the last thing you want is the minnows whacking away at the big guns.

I agree with you it's a bad idea, and I don't believe that Fifa seriously considered this proposal - Hey, I agree with you on that!

Truth be told. If WC voting is not rigged, we won't even be arguing about this in this forum.

Cheers.

Francois01 (Bayern München) 3 years ago
@messingwithya: First you say "did find it quite cold on rainy days even in summer" and then you say "man up". I hope you meant yourself. The conditions in Qatar are nothing anyone should "man up" to, and it is certainly not an argument for giving anyone the WC. Let's play the WC in Greenland.... I'm sure the Inuit can play football, too, and everyone deserves to host it.
My point is: It's about football, full stadiums and atmosphere. You see that in countries with football tradition and surroundings/organization that is up to the task (it is not about age old privileges of certain countries). I think the WC in South Africa was ok, although somewhat annoying because of those vuvuzelas. But today we know that it didn't help the country financially or magically improved the quality of their football. The WC is not something to increase the prestige of a country, it is a sport event. I heard the stadiums in Qatar are great, but that doesn't help if nobody comes to visit the games. Or if women are not allowed in there
@Messiingwithya. They bought the World Cup. Theres the problem. All of your arguements are ridiculous, if Qatar had put in a decent bid without the use of their back pockets I don't think anyone would have a problem. Unfortunately their bid was dreadful and they have very little, to no, right to host the WC
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Juno said it best above, but if you have a South American playing in London, he wears longsleeves and gloves and plays fine. If you have a Swedish player playing in Qatar, he is going to need water breaks every five minutes or there is a genuine risk he might die on that pitch.

I remember in the 1994 USA world cup, Ireland had to play against teams like Mexico in the midday sun of some of the hottest areas in the country. Insanely hot. The worst part was, the US officials wouldn't let any of the Irish coaching or medical staff give any water to our players? The entire thing smelled corrupt, even back then.

Here's a clip that covers that, and the insanity that happened when FIFA let an Irish player be substituted off, but wouldn't let his replacing player onto the pitch and instead waved "play on".

Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
If it's agreed to split in 30 minute halves, which for God's sake I hope not, they should not implement extra time if needed. They should go straight into penalties. It honestly would add a bunch of more time that's really not needed, with injury time included in every single half.

As a manager being forced into the situation, there is really no other way but to tactically plan wisely about his squad and tactics now that the halves are split in three. I know it's easier said than done, but that's really a part of being a manager and knowing how to deal with situations like these.

I honestly would not like the change myself and I am all against it as well, but I don't know what FIFA saw in Qatar really to give them the bid for 2022. Not to take anything away from Qatar, but with this abnormally hot weather and small country setting, I just don't see a World Cup being held there. It's just my opinion. FIFA probably won't go along with the change, I don't think their brains are that screwed up. I mean it's a confusing process on a whole that I see will cause many complaints and complications.... I just pray that this change isn't agreed on just for Qatar
Not to mention that Qatar had an alchohol ban and a bad record when it came to homosexual rights. Not to knock on Qatar, I'm all for spreading football to all parts of the world, but I don't think there was much thinking behind the decision- other than the pocketbook...
Next thing you know they'll be holding the Winter Olympics
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
They are talking about relaxing the alcohol laws, all I can say is, they better hope the scots and irish don't make the finals, or they will be building more prisons thans stadiums.... Lmao.
What a joke
Francois01 (Bayern München) 3 years ago
First they want to change the football calender in every country, then they plan to build enormous flying sun shields (with propellers) for whole football fields and now they even want to change the game itself. We are getting raped by some rich arabs without football tradition. Why? When that happened to formula 1 it always tasted like synthetic sport.... Or something flavorless, or anemic. Just to increase the prestige of a small country with too much money (that obviously fills the pockets of the fifa committee, what other reason would there be?).
I hope they reconsider, otherwise someone should force them to. And England should host the WC instead
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
This would be a dream come true for America meaning more room for advertisements! -_-    
MancYank (Manchester United) 2 years ago
My thoughts exactly. Simply a ploy to increase advertising revenue. They would do it in Qatar and then rave about how successful it was, then they would try to implement it in all Fifa leagues
GMIKE (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Whatever happened to their idea of building climate controlled stadiums? Either way its going to be about 110 degrees everyday with about 75% humidity. Almost similar conditions to the 08 olympic final with argentina and nigeria. Players were taking periodic water breaks throughout the match because the heat was so extreme
Lehzer (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Technically wouldn't it be 3 30min Thirds?

Either way I'm not on board, if they have enough money to buy themselves the honor of hosting the world cup they have enough money to properly equip the facilities rather than completely alter the landscape of the game
Yeah, I was going to say that, three halves?    
Haha, good call! My bad- and I specifically made sue not to write that up in the article, but screwed up the title! Well damn, oh well now that I look like an idiot
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
3 periods like in hockey haha
MancYank (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ha, Joeymac, I actually went into the forum just to bust your balls about the 3 "halves", but then I saw that you had corrected the error in your introductory comments
I reckon they have ten years to build enough fully air conditioned, covered stadiums to make sure the game doesn't change. Sepp Blatter's legacy to the game is that he utterly destroyed it for his own greed.

This is sickening
Lawrence83 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Sorry! Qatar the brown envelope that you paid only covers your country winning the chance to host 2022 FIFA World Cup. It's going to cost you another 5 million more bucks if you want rule changes. But don't forget FIFA do offer Loyal customer discount if you are willing to pay 5 million for rule changes, 8 million for host it in Winter seasons and 2 million for 3 halves. Or you can bundle em all together for 11 million dollars as the FIFA triple package
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
No thanks, football is a game of endurance with its speed, the players have to think tactically on how the use their energy, I don't like this idea
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
What a disgrace, Sepp Blatter get out of here. If I was Robin Hood his house would be the first one I hit up and give all that corrupt money to the poor kids to buy some footballs
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
They are trying to come to some sort of reasonable conclusion as to how they can handle to searing heat, a better solution would have been to give it to a country more suitable for playing football!
Total disgrace!
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Can't they just change the number of subs in play?
LOL. Suggest the number Shorif
Even that would change the game entirely and you'd see managers having an attacking squad and a defensive squad. Go a goal up with ten mins to spare and then you see 8 subs suddenly, all big defensive players
Another point, would one team get two 30 min periods playing with the wind and one 30 mins playing against it, for example? The entire point of swapping halves at half-time is to give each team an equal chance to play in the same conditions
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Ant's right, it would be unfair. They would really have to break the game into 4 sections so that each team could play in each half an equal amount if they wanted it to be fair. But that's just ridiculous, having three sections is crazy enough. There's a reason they originally divided the game into two
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
What about four 22 1/2 minute quarters? Lol

I seem to remember they were going on about the heat at USA 94 and they just had alot of extra fluids on the sidelines to avoid dehydration!

I actually look forward to seeing what ridiculous solutions they come up with!
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I get that Fifa is trying to expand football all around the globe, and rightly too. I like to see the World Cup in different continents, it's good for the sport. But there also has to be thinking behind it. If the conditions don't matter, and the English are just whiners, than why don't we have the World Cup in Antartica? Or the Himalayas of Nepal? That way fifa would be reaching all corners of the globe and expanding the sport right?

Well it wouldn't be fair to the players or the team, and that's why it shouldn't happen as long as conditions stay that way. Same goes for Qatar, you can't expect players to operate in 50 degree weather, I get too hot when it's 30 degrees during a match! By fifa deciding the World Cup should be in Qatar, they made it so people will have to go to ridiculous heights to have a decent tournament.

Oh, and having it too hot is not the same as having it too for you cold. If they had it in england for example, Brasilians may find it too cool for their liking. But when it's a little to cold for you, you can put on a jacket or a long sleeve shirt a be fine (Edit: Looks like Ant already said that above). When it's too hot like in qatar, you can take off all your clothes, and it's still way too hot.

Either Fifa officials where completely mad when they made the decision, or the "gifts" offered where too much to turn down

Kick4Life - changing lives through football