Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
2009-10 Barca One Of The Best Teams Ever?
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
We need to begin a discussion about this Barca team currently playing. In watching them thus far, I have come to the conclusion they are on their way to becoming one of the best ever. The amount of confidence and swagger and almost an unreal attitude of " go ahead.... Take your best shot.... We got something for ya too " is so obvious. They have been toying with opponents and it is beautiful to watch their strategy as the match evolves.... You can see them setting up every move.... And I wonder " hey if I can see it then surely the opponent can ".... But they do what they want anyway. The addition of Ibra has been as smooth as silk and he looks as if he is lovin life big time.

Messi is heading toward God status and it is well deserved. I actually laugh when he starts carving up the D. It isn't " is he gonna' score " it's " what is he gonna' do this time that I have never seen before " The man is literally unstoppable.

So my question is: Is this team headed for immortality and in the top 3 all time? (yeah I know it's early, so don't even go there, ok?)
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree barcelonas team this year is probably one of the best they have ever had, even better than when they had maradona or ronaldo
But last years team was probably even better in terms of quality of play and players and value
Baha1908 (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
You are wrong man, this barcelona is considered as outsider.... The Barcelona-Inter match wasn't a good test of this. My opinion, the favorite for the Champions League Cup this season is Chelsea.... And Chelsea 's gonna' win it !
Mohdovais (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Barca One Of The Best Teams Ever:
Season 08/09
Champions league winners with most goals scored in the competition
LA Liga champions with most scored goals and least conceded
Copa del Rey winners
First team from Spain to win a treble

32 goals in the Champions league
4 more goals in the champions league third qualifying round
104 goals in La Liga, new record for the club
17 goals in Copa del Rey
157 goals in all competitions

-fantastic attacking football
-best defence in La Liga
-the key players are youth academy products
-Leo Messi - 38 goals, 17 assists, who is currently a Golden Ball winner
-Samuel Eto’o - 35 goals, 12 assists
-Thierry Henry - 26 goals, 14 assists
-Xavi - 10 goals, 33 assists, probably the best playmaker in the world atm
-Iniesta - 5 goals, 17 assists, crucial goal vs Chelsea, amazing season for hime
-Bojan - 10 goals, 6 assists
-Alves - 5 goals, 14 assists
-Victor Valdes - Zamora Winner, conceded 0. 89 goals per a game
- Pique - revelation of the season

Remarkable games & greatest moments:
Vs Real Madrid at Bernabeu 2:6 (I woudn't trade that for all cups)
Vs Man United at Olimpico 2:0
Vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 1:1 with Iniesta’s goal in 93d minute
Vs Real “Park the bus” Madrid at Nou Camp 2:0
Vs Bayern at Nou Camp 4:0, all goals scored in the first half
Vs Sevilla at Camp Nou 4:0 and 3:0 at S. Pizjuan
Vs Atletico at Camp Nou 6:1
Vs Valencia at Cam Nou 4:0
Vs Bilbao in Copa del Rey final, 4:1, and the Spain anthem booing
I can’t single out any of the many Barca goals, every ome was lake a drop in a sea, but this one was the most orgasmic:
Please DO NOT shoot ME FOR THIS NEXT sentence!

For Barcelona to really go down in history and dominate european football they need to build on this success and not throw it away like in 2006.

I honestly do believe you need to win 2 or 3 more champions league trophies in the next 5-6 years to go down in history among the panthoms of Real, Ac Milan and Liverpool plus the Ajax and Munich sides which won 3 in a row.

Don't shoot me just my opinion! Of course as a stand alone achievement this treble will go down in history but Barca have got to do what they have never ever done before - dominate europe.

Hopefully you don't take this the wrong way

Well they did won it 2 times in 3 years now.... So it's a good step for this generation despite the changes the core of Xavi-E2-Iniesta-Puyol-Valdes.... Etc are still the same
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
You said don't go there but the same argument can be said about many teams atm. Barcelona's only real test came against inter. Too soon man, too soon
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Nope, barca's best team was probably last years. Unless they surprise us I don't think that they can do it (win the uefa cup at least). Zlatan is doing pretty good but the front line just need more time to integrate him in. Henry is also looking a little questionable
Agree it may be too early.... But a discussion is still valid and I do not think too many other teams would qualify for this post....

I do agree that last years team was outstanding. What would the criteria be for placing this (or any) team in the best ever catagory anyway? Wins? Goal differential? Titles? Total goals? I still think this team is finding just who they are this year and they are still playing at a level far above anyone else.... So if they figure out what works, they have a shot at becoming one of the best.
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well honestly this team is mostly the same as last years so I think they can both be classified as the same team. Very few additions but the one major one has turned out to be one of their best moves since appointing pep as manager. See here is the thing about barca. Their style of play is so quick that few teams can really keep up, and to make matters worse, they play with 2 wide strikers which, when they drift inside the field towards the net they can draw not only the attention of the full backs but also the center backs. This leaves ibra with alot more space than he should have while also opening up the wings for dani alves and abidal to cover. This gives the three midfielders every attacking option possible as they can pass to the inward moving messi/henry, ibra who as I said before has much more space than he should have, or send the ball to the overlapping full backs. And I didn't even mention the quality of barca's midifield which is arguably second to none. Their "holding" midfielder yaya has the ability to dribble past defenses almost at will as seen last season on a few occasions, and everyone knows the quality of xavi/iniesta who can also dribble, unleash deadly long shots, or more commonly, send that killer pass so one of the already mentioned open players.

But here is the real reason why they are so good. If that plan ever fails (very rare indeed), not only is their whole team capable of producing that magic that can win matches, but they have messi, who seems to be able to dribble past whole teams as his very liesure and can finish impecably. The man is truly great and even if he were to stop improving now he would still go down in history as one of the best footballers of all time if he just played the way he is right now for another season or two (theres where the scary thought is, he's only what? 23 years old? I actually think he's younger than that which gives him lots and lots of time to improve and he has that mentallity that always says to him "I wanna get better"). Now one last point, but not only does barca win, but they do it each and everytime with flair. They never have to grind out victorys and they are always a pleasure to watch, especially when lionel messi is on the pitch.

Therefore yes, I do believe that this could quite possibly turn out to be the greatest team ever
Maybe I should have asked the question: is this the most successful style of play ever invented.... Lol...
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
In terms of control play and creativity, I think they are right on top.... But for pure entertainment value, 1999 Man UTD was better. I mean they almost lose all the competition b4 going on to win each of them
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
In terms of control play and creativity, I think they are right on top.... But for pure entertainment value, 1999 Man UTD was better. I mean they almost lose all the competition b4 going on to win each of them
Not sure about that. Barca is so much fun to watch because they play at such a quick tempo and you never know what will come next, whether they are winning or losing
ECEssien (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I would say yeah they are. Simply no team plays the beautiful game as beautifully, while winning all the time and also being a social citizen. They actually don't get sponsor money for wearing a name on their jerseys, they instead donate to uniced whille advertising them too! If you look all round, this team is a perfect ambassador for the game and those are the reasons they are the best. All this while having the most creative and skillful players who play the game as a team. In my mind, there is no doubt
Bello626 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
It''s a honour for me as a barcelona fan to listen a blue speaking that way. Everything has been said about last year's UEFA champions league Semifinals. Nothing to say. Blues, may be this year is your time, however, I think barça is even better this year, though I know in Chelsea is happening the same. Firstly, Barça is better because it's this year Barça is a very mature team, speaking in "character" terms. And secondly, because defeating Barça is harder than last year. Just check statistics.

Anyway, I hope to find Chelsea this year again. No doubt it's the best football match you can watch nowadays.

Blueskiesahead.... Very nice post. Lemme ask you this: do you think Chelsea can beat them and if so.... How? (I happen to think this is Chelsea's year in the EPL)
In all honesty, I have always had the mentallity that any team can beat any other team on any given day no matter who plays for either team or who manages either team. However in the case of barca, I don't think this can really be said. They have the match winner in messi.

That said however I do believe that chelsea is perhaps the only team that can beat barca in a high stakes competition, and not only because I love my blues, but because I sincerely believe it is the case. Man you, arsenal, real madrid, and juventus refuse to play a defensive match. They would much rather go out and fight. Admirable as this may be, it fails against a barca team that is so quick on the counter and so lethal in possession as shown last year against united and madrid. Many critisized that these two teams simply didn't show up but I dissagree. United did show up, but were simply magnificently outplayed by a barcelona team that gives teams only one option if they want to win: park the bus. Chelsea is willing to play with the intention of not giving up goals, rather than scoring them, unlike the formerly noted teams, and though there are teams like bayern, inter, and liverpool who are willing to play this way, none of these even come close to being as good at it as chelsea is. We have a midfield that can shut down any other midfield, which thus cuts off service to the three attackers barca uses. We have the defence capable of keeping anything that does get past our midfield away from the goal and on the rare occasion that those two parts of our team fail, he have petr cech between the pipes who on his day, is arguably the greatest keeper of our generation. I firmly believe that we should have won against barca last year, and not because of the referee's decisions, but because we had more clear cut chances that we wasted. Drogs should have put us 2 nil ahead on several occasions in that second leg. And I actually believe that we have a stronger squad this year than we did last (though the same can be said about barca) and hense yes I believe we can beat barcelona, and though it may not be pretty, to any fan of either team, it would be one of the most exciting matches ever seen
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Chelsea can beat them, mainly because their style of play is the perfect counter to barca's: lock it up and counterattack. Messi, your match winner, was man marked out of both games last year in the champs leauge, by bosingwa (out of position from cole's suspension) and a. Cole respectively.

This year, chelsea have added zhirkov and joe cole is coming back from injury. IMO joe cole is one of the best players on chelsea, as noted by him winning chelsea player of the year two years ago, before his injury. Even before his injury he was one of the most underrated players in the world. Thus, if chelsea and barca meet, its up in the air but I would give the edge to chelsea.

But this article isn't about that, it is about barca being the best team ever (potentially). I say no. Why? Their defence. Barca's best defence is their offense, but if a team can shut it down and counter, they can be beaten. Pique and puyol are decent, but I don't think anyone here would argue that they actually help barca's argument of being the best team ever. In my opinion it is rather the contrary. Prove me wrong barca, cause i'd love to see the best team ever
You do have a point they don't have the strongest center backs, though puyol is quality and pique certainly has potential. I think even worse is victor valdez. He does his job, but he isn't spectacular like every other player in barca's squad. If barca could improve in those two positions they truly would be unbeatable
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Essentially Chelsea had beaten Barca last year. It was only due to poor match officiating that Barcelona squeaked out a win in the closing moments. It is true that any team can beat any other team on any given day, but it just looked like Barcelona were outmatched against Chelsea last year and really just lucked out in the end.

As far as this team being the best ever.... It's hard to deny the amount of talent on this team. They really have an all star cast of the world's best players (especially Messi, who will only get better with time, of which he has ample). For the style of football they play, they certainly do it better than anyone has and in that respect you have to hand it to them. But, it's impossible to look at it right now and say, yup they're the best ever. I don't see a huge difference from last year's squad, and personally, I like Eto'o better than Ibra. Ibra is largely untested and unproven on the International/European stage. This is the season to prove his quality. However, if Barca can't make it to at least the Semis of the champions league I don't see how you can say that this squad was better than last year's. Anyway, that is my two cents on the matter
Very true it really is much too soon to judge. But if I had to say right now, I really do believe that this barca team can really improve and thus go down in history as one of the greatest ever football teams
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Of course, we will try to finish the season if Barcelona is better than last year because only the results count. But we can already see from the Barcelona game still plays as well as last year, Barcelona is even better (just 1 draw against Inter, a European Supercup and a Supercup espgan). Eto'o is not as strong as ibrahimovic but ibra is more physical, it plays differently. Ibra offers other potential gaming Barcelona has 1 more year of experience. Beginning of this season I think Barcelona is even stronger
I completely agree with that. Barca has even more team chemistry and confidence than they did last season. And not only that but they have more depth with more players from their youth squad maturing as well as keita being able to play. And of course as you mentioned, ibra adds that extra dimension
I might add I think pep is the best manager of talent and personalities in the game currently. He knows how to use his players to the fullest advantage and also knows when not to use them
Fceddie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Great manager love his methods and his eye for talent  From his youth squad
I love how he works youth into the team while keeping experience in there as well. That's another brilliant secret to barca's success last year
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Great goal by Pedro today, Pep brought in three young players, Pedro being the most successful Busquets being almost catastrophic and Jefren really not making an impact. Still great to see three young players get their shot at the biggest club stage in the world
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Busquets is good IMO, Pep took a gamble on a him in the champions league Finals against Man Utd last season to put him as the holding midfield and it suceeded
He's very good, he just made a very bad back header that almost resulted in a goal for Kiev and Valdes getting injured
Busquet's made quite a few mistakes last season but you have to remember that he does play holding midfield, a tole that requires vast amount of experience to be the absolute best at. He's still young so expect him to improve alot as the years go by
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Also he is young so he tries out different tactics
Fceddie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I don't think that they can repeat such a season like the one they did last year
But the new squad does look really good. Hopefully they can compete and
Other teams life hell
I think they have a better squad then last year, but you are right. Its highly unlikely that they will repeat since the pressure is on them now this season to do so, and every team is now out to be the one that beast barcelona. Tough task indeed for the blaugrana, but I do still think its possible
So.... If they repeat then they would have to be considered as one of the best ever.... And in the top 3 right?
I think most people would consider them one of the best ever teams yes. I think people can already classify them as such to be honest. The 98-99 manchester united squad is considered by many to be one of the best ever squads and that's only one season. If barca can pull off two treble's then yes they will certainly go down in history as one of, if not the best (though brazil's 78 squad was something to behold) squad in all of history
YES OF course

FC Barcelona never gives the impression of forcing his talent. A passing game effective intervals found with simplicity and individual talent to make a difference. The essence of football really. There are gift more powerful than last year for one more year together. Ibra fits very quickly to the team and style of play.
Madrid has so much talent in his team but it will take time to found a game as fluid as the Barcelona
Very true. It always looks like they're just out there to have fun. Its great to watch
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think this year Barcelona's best team looks like this:
---------------------Valdes-------------------------
Alves--------Puyol--------------Pique--------Maxwell

---Messi--------Iniesta------------Xavi----------Hleb

---------Henry---------------------------Ibrahimovic
They have a great team, and they didn't really sell anybody throughout the summer except from Eto'o. That hasn't been a problem though because Ibrahimovic has fulfilled all his expectations already and has been a top finisher so far this season for Barca. The team last season was not as good in my opinion. Now it gives Thierry Henry more chances to play upfront rather than on the wing. He'll score more than he did. Messi, Iniesta and Xavi can play as normal but Maxwell, the other new signing from Inter can play in eft-back in place of Abidal.

Substitutes for team: Abidal, Toure, Bojan
Yogan, one of the biggest reasons barca plays so well is because they use a 4-3-3. Read my post above to know why. And about henry, I think he fits in very well with the team and does his part brilliantly. He's no messi, but his role is to destract defenders from ibra, and if the defenders arent destracted from him, henry is to get the ball and get himself a goal instead
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Erm.... I think you got it absolutely wrong. First, Barca doesn't play 4-4-2. Secondly, Hleb is not in the club anymore.

So here's the squad:

---------------------------------Valdes-----------------------------

--Alves--------Puyol-------------Marquez-----Abidal-----

------------Iniesta--------Yaya---------Xavi------------------

---------Messi---------Ibrahimovic---------Henry--------

Keita could replace Iniesta anytime, Maxwell can replace Abidal anytime, Pique can replace Marquez anytime, the reason for not putting Pique into the starting line-up that he is too young, mostly, young centre-backs needs to be benched a while, and Marquez is very experienced
I think pique has been benched long enough and has proven himself to be a very tallented cb over the last few seasons. I think he is better than marquez to be honest. His recent performances have been great and he is a very large threat going forward as well
Anybody think this team could go undefeated? I think it is possible.... But probably will not happen. I like your 11 Yogan09.... And agree with you about Henry.... It seems he is the only one trying to find the right fit. You seem to have the answer
I think its possible and they are capable of it, but I don't think they will succeed in the cl/ copa del rey if they focus on going undefeated in the league. So I doubt it will happen but who knows. Could be history in the making
Alfaz (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I still think Barca is better with Eto'o than with Ibrahimovic...
I think its too early to judge just yet, but I find ibra could fit in even better than eto'o if he gels with the team properly
Ibrahimovic is more effective in front of goal. He will bring the physical defence opponents. If Barcelona played against English clubs in Champions League ibra will make the difference.
I'm not saying that ibra is stronger than eto'o but he will allow a range of Barcelona style
Good point, he does allow barca to play with more diversity
I think diversity will help against the English clubs (manchester, chelsea, liverpool) champion's league
Yes his height and strength will surely be a massive assest to barca. As well as his backheels
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 4 years ago
Yes that s what I think. I don't mean Ibra is a bad player, I just want to tell Eto can show better perform in Barca than Ibra
Good point, we do need to wait and see whether or not barca is better with ibra
Kestonj (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Personally I also agree that barca was better with eto but ibra bringing more flexibility to the barca game again is also true.... We'll just have to wait an see how big a difference he gona make bay the end of the season.... Then we can decide if were truly better or worse off with out eto
Ibra has done well, but yes, they were slightly better with eto'o. He just suited the style of play so much more. Then again though, eto'o had quite a bit more experience playing with this squad than ibra
Jabernard (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Way too early
All good points sirhcrocks!.... However if it that simple to beat them.... Then where are the losses? They play the same game as always and showed last year that they were the best team in the world.... So how does that change anything this year? If anything they are much better with Ibra. I have asked the question " How do you beat them? " and many of you have answered with very detailed and reasonable ways that could happen.... However the losses are not there and do not seem to be coming anytime soon.

So if we all know how to beat them.... How come no one does? Hey just stop their passing, park the bus, get aggressive, etc, etc. Funny how none of that worked real well last year.... Lol....

Furthermore.... You do not have to be perfect in every phase of the game (in any sport) to be the best ever. All you have to do is beat every body else.... And do it with style and creativity and do it over and over again.... Simple really. I am saying this team has everything it needs to do what it did last year and maybe even do it better than last year.... No matter what their D does. The New York Yankees in the 20's totally ruled Baseball because they ran over everyone in their path with a legendary offense. Barca's defence is not that bad and if the other team is always playing from behind.... They only need a solid D to be successful.... And further.... A top class offense is another way to play defence.

Thanks for the posts fellas.... We will discuss this all year and when they win it all again we will have figured out how they did it at the very least.
Well to answer your question, the reason you don't see teams actually beating them is down to 3 reasons.

The first, is that in la liga, the only team that come close to having the quality of barca is real madrid. No other team comes close and therefore, how can they expect to win when mallorca see's barca destroy atletico madrid 4-1.

The second reason, is that in la liga, teams don't like to park the bus. They want to go out and attack teams, no matter who they are. So barca constantly beats them in possession and on the counter attack.

And the third reason, is that when they do play against teams who try this tactic (often in the champions league), it's usually teams who again, are a class completely below that of barcelona. And the teams that are in the same class (manchester, liverpool, bayern, juve, just to name a few) have too much pride to say "we are playing the best attacking team in the world, the only way to beat them is to park the bus. " now many fans may say that this is a good thing but let me assure you it isn't. Many say manchester united went out against barca playing the way they normally do, with attacking intent, but was it fun to watch? No. Are you proud that your team got absolutely creamed? No. (so as a defence to all those who say chelsea played "anti-football" at least we can say we should have beat the only team that truly outplayed madrid and manchester united in the same season)
Very intelligent points, and I totally agree with all of them, especially the last one Barca purely outclassed Madrid and Man UTD last year, but were almost beaten by your blues. I would have been very angry if Chelsea would have won though and I am glad Iniesta pulled it out, the final was very exciting last year, I would have been disappointed to see a repeat of an all English final. That being said you probably should have beaten them, even if it was painful to watch you bring 11 players behind the ball and clog up the whole pitch. Maybe it was Karma that the referee kind of screwed you over haha.

I would personally dread Liverpool meeting up with this team at any stage of the champions league competition, even if a part of me would be fidgeting with excitement. I don't think we have the stuff to beat them, at least not at this point of the season, but we have a fantastic side and I would love to watch us put up a challenge to the mighty Catalahns. I really don't know if I would rather us park the bus and win, or play the match of the century and lose, probably the latter even if my heart would be broken.

Anyways great insights, cheers
In all honesty, even if liverpool did play the same way that we did last seasons against barcelona, I think your reds would still come out with a loss. Lets face it, pool simply isn't as good at the back as chelsea, and benitez would almost innevitably use the wrong tactics (he gets them right often and when he does they're spot on but more often than not, he gets one or two major things wrong). I'm not bashing liverpool since I do enjoy their style of play and I love watching gerrard and torres go at it, I'm just trying to make a point as to just how hard it really is to beat this catalan side
ElPibeDeOro (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Way too early to tell. They are on a roll now, but they will go through a period where it will be difficult for them.... Only it's hard to say whether "difficult" for this team means losing, drawing or winning by a slim margin. I still think that Real Madrid have the firepower to beat them if they can limit the scoring.... And of course I think Inter have the patience to take them out of their game too!
Very true. It all depends on how they deal with the times that they are off form. And inter has the discipline and patience to win but I don't know if they have the tallent to do it. Thought they did get a draw with them (a lucky one if I might say so as they were completely dominated by barca)
Blueskies, I agree with you, I don't think we have the class to beat the catalans at this point in the season, but it is football and anything can happen. However we are not as good in the back as you are, although I think we will improve as we go on, and I would like to see Rafa bring in a world class center back because Carragher is getting old and although Skrtel is good, I don't know if he is world class. And maybe with the inclusion of Aqualani we can start firing on all cylinders, even then I still don't know if we can beat Barca. We have to make it through the group stages first and then we will see.

I am extremely excited for the game against you blues! It will be a great one to watch, peace
I agree that pool needs a new star centre back, while also needing a genuine left back. Personnally I think rafa should be sacked. I honestly believe he is way overrated. Sure he gets his tactics right sometimes, but he can't change the game when its being played (at least not until the 60th minute, and can't change it after the 70th) and doesn't het his tactics right all of the time (or even most of the time which is essential to success at this level). He's served pool well, but I honestly believe he can serve them so much better if he would just leave. Until then I don't believe pool could beat barca but like you said, anything can happen in football and quite frequently does.... Anyways theres my rant for the day

Kick4Life - changing lives through football