Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
10 Best Foreign Players To Ever Grace English Grounds!
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Name the top 10 foreign players that have come and conquered England in football history, any time period...
LionAzzurro (Rimini Calcio) 4 years ago
Marco materazzi-played 98' with everton.... Lol
Edit: yea pretty new here, any way to delete this stupid comment?
I didn't read the "conquered England" part
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
1. Thierry Henry(Arenal 1999-2007)

He is not a Striker right from Childhood he was and ordinary winger. Frenchman smashed the club's all-time top goalscorer record with 226 goals in eight great years at the north London club winning a host of medals and awards.

2. Eric Contana(Leeds 1992; Manchester United 1992 - 1997)

He is also called King Eric. He is the best imported player better than ronaldo.

3. Gianfranco Zola (Chelsea 1996 - 2003)

He joined Chelsea for just 4. 5m

4. Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal 1995 - 2006)

Scored 120 goals in 424 appearances for Arsenal

5. Peter Schmeichel (Manchester United 1991 - 1999)

Arguably the best goalkeeper in Premier League history, the great Dane arrived for just £530, 000 in 1991. Sir Alex described the deal as the 'bargain of the century'

6. Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United 2003 - just left)

Replaced David Beckham in 2003

7. Vieira

A master and commander at the heart of the Gunners midfield for nine seasons, Vieira helped Arsenal to three Premier League prizes and four FA Cups. He is a very agressive captain his record is good in bad tackles

8. Jurgen Klinsmann (Tottenham Hotspur 1994 - 1995 and 1997 - 1998)

Scored on his debut for Spurs and instantly became a fans favourite.

9. Ossie Ardiles (Tottenham Hotspur 1978 - 1988; Blackburn 1988; QPR 1988 - 1989; Swindon 1989 - 1991)

The highly skilled Argentine goes down in Tottenham folklore as a member of the club's 'Hall of Fame' in tribute to his ten top years at the Lane

10. Fernando Torres(Atletico Madrid 12 yrs 2001-2007, Liverpool 2007-present)

The hitman hit total 33 in 2007-08, including 24 in the league to overtake Ruud van Nistelrooy and become the most prolific foreigner ever in a debut season in England.

Wow! Great job! And Good Choices!
Nani22 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Nice job it is all true
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Yep that pretty much sums it up, I can't think of anymore, nice job
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Nice just switch the first 2 oh and fix number 7 it says "Replaced David Beckham in 2003" and should say Vieira. That's all
Kaloud (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Nice list bergkamp aka god aka iceman should be number one but torres in the top 10? Don't get me wrong I wish arsenal had torres great player but not in the top 10 yet but no doubt he will be up there sooner or later
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Probably almost agreed all, except for Torres, he has only be in the Premier League for 2 years, so we can't judged him yet, wad if he does bad on the later years with Liverpool? So we can't gurantee. No offense Liverpool fans
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Great list. I came onto this topic to write about roughly eight of the people you chose but I have no need to now, good work.

In no particular order, my top 3

* Klinsmann (changed the face of how foreign players were percieved in England)
* Cantona (Always very interesting to watch, from the kung fu to the sublime skills)
* Henry (Scored goals for fun, out of nothing)
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Very nice list great work
GoonerXi (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Very good list. Cantona was very foul but I suppose that was part of the fun. :S
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Thought Henry started out in monaco as a striker? No?
DiegoFC (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I couldn't have said it better my self I agree with all of your choices
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Brilliant choices, they all were amazing players and probably have to be one of the top foreign players that played in the EPL
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Nice work, very complete, I added Van Nistelroy in this list. This list would be perfect.
Special dedication to Henry for his career at Arsenal. I remember his last goal at Highbury where he kissed the turf after a hat trick.

RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
That made so many people think he was Muslim
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I will switch cantona and henry
Not really (no offence utd fans)
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
You probably have never seen Cantona play. He's the king for a reason. Respect to you kimaway for saying this when you support liverpool
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Agreed. He is Joga Bonito...
As much as Henry graces the game, I have to agree that King Eric was (and is still) the best...
Never Henry was better than Cantona. (offence the united fans)
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Thierry Henry is the best foreign player ever
TheRonaldo7 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
1. Thiery henry
2. Cantona
3. Berkamp
4. Smechiel
5. Ronaldo
6. Keane
7. Viera
8. Zola
9. Toress
10. Ginola

Not really, Ronaldo before viera and Keane is good but should go last    
I knew you would place Ronaldo in a high position...
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think Zola should be higher and same with Torres and Keane should come down
Essien1 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I agree zola is one of the best chelsea players to ever live he is so much better then keane and viera
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I remember when Zola would score the commenator would go all crazy "zola ZOLA OH ZOLA ZOLA!"
Gavrazor (Manchester City) 5 years ago
How did I know he was gonna' put Ginola in there? LOL!
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
WHAT ! NO paulo DI canio! Hold on let me remind you!    
Thomas1978 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Good shout for Di Canio, think the fact that he did not play for the top teams probably meant people might not remeber him as much.

I love Di Canio though
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
This guy is so racist.... Don't care about him !
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Well, he's the best openly racist footballer that ever graced the game. He makes the list
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Lol
1. George Best (Manchester United, 1963)
2. Kinkladze (Manchester City, 1995)
3. Eric Cantona (Manchester United, 1992)
4. Henry (Arenal, 1999)
5. Vieira (Arsenal, 1996)
6. Femaldo (Manchester United, 2003)
7. Zola (Chelsea, 1996)
8. Peter Schmeichel (Manchester United, 1991)
9. Di Canio (West Ham United, 1999)
10. Asprilla (Newcastle United, 1995)
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yes di canio! Good list!
Henry 4th! Your off your head!
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Asprilla! Great playyeerrr
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
1. Cantona
2. Theirry Henry
3. [C.] Ronaldo
4. G. Best
5. Berkamp
6. Zola
7. Viera
8. Keane
9. Torres
10. Schmeichel
Jay-Jay Okocha? Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank? Eidur Gudjohnson? Ruud Van Nistelrooy? All historic players in the Prem...
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
I would agree with Van Nisterooy but some of the others are not really good, Gudjohnson is a good player but he was on the bench for almost every match for Chelsea, Hasselbank is a great player, but he wouldn't be counted as gracing English grounds. Okocha? Nah, no way
1. Cantona One of Manchester United best players ever. He was one of the best of his generation.

2. Henry Teared every defence that came he's way. He was a very chilled player. And a amazing striker.

3. Bergkamp He had a historic patnership with Henry. Before Henry joined Arsenal He was Arsenal best striker. Or even in the prem at the time.

4. Zola Chelseas best player of his generation. He had skill pace and Agility. And he was a set pieace genius

5. Vam Nisterooy was the best strike (4 me) at the time when he joined United. Scored 8 goals in a row broke a record that stood for a long time. And had one of the best first season ever.

6. Schmeichel The best golie to play in the Premier. Made some world class save. And was the back bone of Man Us treble winning team.

7. Ronaldo The best premier league player of his generations. 42 goals in a season and broke the transfer record by Zindane. That says it all.

8. Viera he could defend header and shoot. He had it all. He's fights with Roy Keane made him more fun. And he was the captin of Arsenal unbeaten season.

9. Torres 50 in 84. He scored the most goals in a first season. Broke the legdendary Kevin Phillips record
10. Di Canio the best player ho didn't play for a big club
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
And an honerary mention for Dider Drogba
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I cannot believe people are putting Torres in this list and not Di Canio. Its a crime!
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 5 years ago
A lot of premier league lists what about george best and kenny daglishe
I put george best in mine
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Oh ye van nistelroy was immense 2  
You don't really count Danglish or Best as Foriegn. They come from british countries
Yup, exactly...
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
Your right guys, you can't count players from the four home nations or the irish rep. We would end up with liam brady, paul mcgrath, frank stapleton etc;
What about 2 of the 1st foreign players to come here, to ipswich then man utd.... Frans thysen and arnold murhren, they were very good players
Okay, now that we have discussed the ones in the past, lets talk about the present....
Who are the top 10 foreign players in the Prem "now"?
My list:
1. Torres
2. Vidic
3. Anelka
4. Van Persie
5. Drogba
6. Fabregas
7. Van Der Sar
8. Kuyt
9. Bosingwa
10. Robinho
Anelka hurts, and where is arteta other choices are great
I didn't know who else to pick for no. 3 and Arteta was injured for some parts of the season, but I still remember 2 of his dazzling freekicks...
Almunia, Cech,
I think this is better

1. Torres
2. Vidic
3. Fabregas
4. Anelka
5. Van Persie
6. Arshavin
7. Robinho
8. Berbatov
9. Arteta
10. Tevez
I think this is better

1. Torres
2. Vidic
3. Fabregas
4. Anelka
5. Van Persie
6. Arshavin
7. Robinho
8. Berbatov
9. Arteta
10. Tevez
I'd switch Tevez with Berba.... but that's just me....  And damn.... I forgot Arshavin! How could I!
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
The new team looks amazing but man the old ones were still much more amazing. The one player that I would leave from the new in the classics is Torres and Vidic has to be one of the greatest defenders of all time in the EPL

Kick4Life - changing lives through football