Forums / The Guardian - Footy News Discussion
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Is Liverpool Gonna Appoint As Their Next Manager?
AnthonysOpinion (Atlético Madrid) 2 years ago
My guess'll be: Brendan Rodgers.

I guess the Guardian isn't in the business of fresh news anymore.

This Forum is more inactive than the soon-to-be Awesome Basement Chat
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its looking very like roy hodgson will be the new liverpool manager within a few hours according to the radio.
Apparently fulham have been given 2m in compensation.
Roys not the most charismatic of managers, but he will steady the liverpool ship, because I reckon that's the only reason he's been appointed, because he has no money available, and he has a fight on his hands to keep certain players who have been touted to want away.
I'm gonna' have to start dislikeing roy now, as he's taken over the scousers.... Lol.
Naaa, he's a good manager, but he's an uphill task, but I'm sure the liverpool fans will be patient, because the current situation isn't roys fault
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Roy is a manager who has proved he can do a lot with meagre budgets, and unfortunately for all Liverpool fans, that's what we're looking at til the yanks get bought out.

I say good luck to him
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Meagre budget with heaps of expectation. Its not a good time to be Liverpool's new boss. This guy has balls...
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
I definitely think it should be mark hughes. He did some what a good job a city. While in charge og city last season he only lost 2 games which is way less than every other manager in the league. I am sure he would do a better job at pool
Old red-nose Ferguson would be on the phone before every Man United - Liverpool game whispering though, not sure I would want that
Its looking like dalglish is gonna' come onboard, wether its in a permanent move I don't know, I would guess it would be, because they have time to get a new manager before the season starts, but it doesent even look like liverpool are looking for anyone, so king kenny as they call him looks to be taking the job on.
I think his first move is to remove all the backroom spanish staff that rafa brought with him, if they are not already gone, and get back to the traditional bootroom at liverpool were they surround themselves with their own, not a load of spaniards, that to me was a major part of liverpools problems
I agree to some extent. It obviously worked in the 2008/09 season, we came second after a fantastic season. However once the head honcho is gone, then all the spanish physios, scouts, and yes - even players, will probably be looking for the door
Think of the savings in wage bills, and the language barrier had to be a major problem at times.
Do you reckon you can hold onto torres and gerrard? , it looks like mascheranos fleeing, and with benayoun gone, who I thought was an excellent playmaker, its not gonna' leave much ant?
Definitely a transition time for Liverpool, but teams like new Zealand show that its absolutely not about the cost of the players, but the team spirit and camaraderie. A manager like Kenny would help immensely in that manner
Daaan (Liverpool) 4 years ago
When I heard the rumblings about Eriksson last night, I got quite excited - although I was deep into my eighth Sagres by then which provides a valid get-out clause.

I'm not fully convinced by the Rijkaard argument, although I'm also not convinced that there are many directions for Liverpool to go in at the moment. My preference is towards van Gaal or Hiddink. It's just a crying shame that there's more chance of Ferguson proclaiming his undying love for Liverpool, than there is either of them coming to Anfield.

Hodgson is a little old to be installing as a long-term manager, in my opinion, but what he's done at Fulham is nothing but extraordinary.

For all the posturing about interviews etc, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kenny installed as the manager...
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What I've seen are Mangers who already mangage better teams than Liverpool. Why would they break there contract to go there.

The best one you could get is Sven. He admitted he was a Liverpool fan, and he goes club to club like none other.

People saying Oneil, van gal roy hodgson are living in a dream world
Van Gaal will not, that's a sure.... O'neil might consider.... Afterall, its a good employer name to get on your CV...
Martin o'neill seems to be talked about a lot, but I'm not sure the liverpool fans are sold on o'neill to be honest.
David moyes would be ideal, but given his ties with everton, I couldn't see moyes rubbing the blue halfs noses in it by joining their biggest rivals.
Who I do think would be a good manager for liverpool, if the fans can forget his ties, is mark hughes, I think he would be good for liverpool, but its getting the fans to take to him.... Tough one.
Roy hodgson has been mentioned, but I have heard liverpool fans running him down on radio, saying he's not good enough for them, well then who is, hodgsons not a personality or a big name, but he gets the job done, and has proved his worth wherever he's went, so if I was a liverpool fan I wouldnt dismiss him, he could be just the man?
Another point is, if theres no transfer fund available, whos gonna' want the job? .... Ian dowie?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
There was a rumor a few days ago that mark hughes might get the job
Gimme a british/irish manager anyday, these foreign managers are not all they are cracked up to be, and bring a lot of baggage, and hard to get rid of, not to mention costly
LOL, getting Liverpool hotseat is like taking another small club with no budget, but heaps of expections that might get you booted in no time...
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Hmmm, Mark Hughes you say....He's going to bring back the Liverpool of old if he gets the job....Maybe

Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
If Mark Hughes goes to Liverpool you can also guarantee Bellamy will be coming next, he loves Mark Hughes

Kick4Life - changing lives through football