Forums / The Guardian - Footy News Discussion
Order: Newest / Oldest
Fifa Takes Aim At The English For Criticising South Africa's World Cup
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
It is because of these people, that football is more and more corrupted! They cannot see that WC, and football for that matter, is much more than income statement. Let's just have England and Germany organize WC's among themselves every four years, so they can maximize their profits, and s***w the rest of the world. The main purpose of organizing WC in South Africa is to point out the issues that third world countries are facing, and help them fight those issues. Show them that if politicians do not care, football does. This game is loved around the whole globe, and just because it came from Europe (England) and (Western) European football organizations hold the financial capital, should not give them right to have monopoly over this beautiful game. It's time for them to get their heads out of their a***s
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
Good points Vel. As for poor ticket sales, noone here (including myself) could manage to buy them through FIFAs online interface. 2 weeks we tried, and every time there was a website error that prevented us from ordering. We tried this on 4 different computers from 4 different countries and faced the same problems.

We all emailed support and we got the same message "Not sure what the problem is, can you send us a screenshot? "

Eventually we had to send faxes, but I've still no idea if they got through. Pffft.

As for flights.... Still no clue if we will get any, prices are wayyy too high at the moment so it's no wonder people are being put off.

Seems to me they should look into their own internal problems (which are nothing to do with SA) and get their own house in order before the Western bodies within it start pointing fingers and trying to second guess why ticket sales are under-subscribed.

As for hosting the cup in SA, I have no doubts that it will be an unmitigated success and that we will see nations coming together in a way like never before with a carnival atmosphere that will be second to none
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I have concerns over security after the Togo bus incident. I'm sure others do too. However, I'm positive that they can overcome and prepare completely for the tournament
I won't pretend to be an expert on the politics Ant, but we are talking about different countries. The attack happened in Congo, not in South Africa.

And 1,800 miles away from where the event will be taking place. To put that distance into perspective - London - Berlin is just under 600 miles.

It's kinda like saying you're scared to go to Dublin, because you once visited London where somebody punched you in the face (maybe?).

Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ok, good illustration
Too FOX news?
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
More like the Daily show being parodied by O'Reilly, being parodied back by Jon Stewart
Millzallah (Barcelona) 4 years ago
South africa is booming, they have no idea what their talking about. Its not even dangerous. Its the safest african region. Brazil is ten times more dangerous trust me. Afrca is gonna' be the ultimate party. People are gonna' talking about this world cup for years to come
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
That's reality right there. Ppl could probably try being a little more opened minded, it might even help them enjoy football more since that's what this site is all about. South Africa is gonna' be party central this summer!
Cclukefc (Coventry City) 4 years ago
I'm sorry but you can't argue with facts, second highest murder rate in the world, highest rape rate in the world, car jackings and robberys rising year upon year. It was outrageous to give africa a football world cup, period
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Where were these English and German voices when China hosted the Olympics? They have one of the worst human rights records in the last century. Did we not play football there? Come on let's give South Africa a break of all the nations in Africa I am sure you will agree though not "Perfect" they have come so far in so few years. Africa needs this World Cup and Football needs Africa!
JamalPortland (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think Africa deserves this, and its bull s**t because they know how many players the world gets from Africa and how much money they milk these players for, so if anything South Africa deserves it more than any other country has. How can Mexico or Brazil have it but not South Africa when SA has a lower crime rate than America.

Also A lot of the Africans support European teams, s**t they deserve to see the people they look up to and watch play as much as any other country does
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
The World Cup is supposed to reach out to all nations.... Its the simple statement that we all love football and we can all come together under any roof despite how one country feels about another and simply enjoy the game to support our country and the sport we all love. To say that South Africa is not safe isn't fair things can and will happen anywhere but masses of people aren't dying over there for going to the world cup.

And its a shame that those fans in Somalia got killed for watching the world cup.
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
I think that was Uganda
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This will be the only country to host the World Cup as the rest is to poor or to corrupt

Kick4Life - changing lives through football