Forums / The Guardian - Footy News Discussion
Order: Newest / Oldest
A Blast From Past
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago

At least United are taking their scoreless draw with more dignity. Or does Messi have a point there?
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
As much as I can agree with the sentiments of the players involved, and we all love total football, teams like rangers do have to play to their strengths, and when they are playing top european teams rangers have to adopt this tactic, or they would get hammered, so they have to cut their cloth accordingly, its like expecting a lower league team to go to the emmirates, anfield, old trafford, wherever and attack, its not gonna' happen, unless its a knock out tie were you might as well have a go, but as its the group stage, every point counts.
You also have to understand rangers finnancial problems, and if they can get through this group stage, it will help them immensely, so its not all about the football for some teams, survival means more.
So although I'm a rangers fan, after utd of course, and I watch them most weeks playing good football in the scottish league, its completely different for rangers in europe, they are just not up to it, so they are going for second prize, to see how far they can get, by hook or by crook, and make as much money as they can, and who can blame them.
Not nice football to watch, but needs must for some clubs
Thanks for the insight on the Rangers' situation. Yes, it does make sense for them. Of course for the weaker team, what Messi calls "anti-football", they call it "good defense"
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Well mr mourinho gets all the plaudits, and his teams play no different to rangers, whats the difference between walter smith and jose? , the same tactics, but one gets villified for it
Haha. True, but also false. Not a fan of Mourinho but I think he does get a fair amount of bad press. And no I was rarely impressed of his Inter despite the silverware

Kick4Life - changing lives through football