Forums / Site Feedback
Order: Newest / Oldest
Some Observations On (and Changes Coming To) Fan Valuation
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
There is no doubt that fan valuation is one of the more mysterious things about the footytube codebase. So much so that not even we (as developers of the site) truly know how it's going to rank users.

We kinda' knew this was going to be the case when we implemented the code - it's almost impossible to predict how so many users interacting with one another will be interpreted by the fan valuation scripts.

As such we often get users asking "why has my fan val gone up/down X points in the last week? ", etc. To which we reply with the usual stuff about post quality and so forth.

Observations
I recently went on some extensive travels, and was away from the site pretty much for 3-4 weeks solid. I noticed that my fan valuation position dropped from 3rd or 4th in the leaderboard, to 20th or so in this time. Whilst that seemed pretty harsh at first, I actually think, what with all the other user contributions going on around me, it was fair enough.

I also noticed (and this is the good part), that after being back only 4 or 5 days, and becoming active in the forums once again, that my position has quickly started to recover (16th now and still climbing). Again, I think this is fair, the algo's know I used to contribute a heck of a lot, and has taken that into account after returning to the site.

The Changes
The leaderboards and league system were initially put in place when we had far fewer users on the site. I think it's clear now that the amount of users in each league needs to increased. Over the next few weeks we will look into increasing this. Right now I think, 50 users per league (champ etc), would be a better number.

I am also toying with the idea of starting a reserve league that features all those users that aren't yet ranked, but have fan valuation over X amount.

Any other ideas/suggestions you guys have for improving fan valuation would be most welcomed.
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
I'm actually quite ok with the fan valuation right now that it seem to drop about 0. 1m everytime for me and sometimes just goes up by 0. 5m. Now I tend to slack quite a lot in the forums, maybe only one to two pretty long posts to make up. I'm mostly very active this days since it's the school holidays in my country.

I don't really have complaints about the Fan Valuation
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 5 years ago
I've course you wouldnt your top excluding the staff
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yay! I will be in the premiere league if you extend the number to 50 people. I have been in the premiere league for just 2 weeks. I like the idea of the reserve league but how would you rank people in the reserve league? By the amount of valuation they have or would there be no ranks? Isn't the reserve league basically league 3 then?
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 5 years ago
Sound realy good but how does this explain how fanval is still worked out?
Sometimes I wounder how it done bcoz I had a faze of my fanval kept dropping

The extention will create more compotition and sounds FAB!
Ciankc (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Ok so you know how on the fan valuation league page, some people are highlighted in pink/red. What does this mean? I was sick for 3-4 days and when I got back I was highlighted pink/red even though my fan valuation went up
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
It means you're facing relegation to a lower league in the next promotion round, which happens every Monday morning
Ciankc (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Oh ok thanks!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football