Forums / Site Announcements
Order: Newest / Oldest
How To LOSE Fan Valuation And Influence The MODS
Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 4 years ago
I would be interested to know what percentage of Footytubers are in fact "Cool".
And is it "Cool" to want to be "Cool" when in fact you are "Uncool"
KingGiggsy (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Thanks a lot. This piece of information is bit helpful
Robbery69 (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Hey just a quick question to the fan valuation, it seems that my valuation goes down so quikcly if I don't post something for like 2-3 days (doenst seem like a long period time as mentioned before or in one of the fan valuation posts) or it might just be that I was writing in not perfect spelled checked writing, since online I usually never use capitals for anything as you can see when I write "i" and I often use shortcuts as idk, or "u", but it was said that you only get deductions if the whole sentence was in text speek or with shortcuts. So my actuall question is how quick does it go down if your not active I didn't post for a few days and it went down from 38 or something to 36 million (+-. 5).

Edit: well more of an addon, I'm really interested how the whole fan valuation is actually calculated? Do freinds and rivals and all that stuff count also? Or is it just the quality of the posts? If so how can an algorithm measure the quality of someones vernacular? Or is this controlled by the admins, but that would be alot of reading....

Would be thankful for a explanation.

Greetings Robbery
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
From what I know is you lose or gain about two million each night, so losing five million while not being on for three days isn't really that bad
Ah ok thanks for the reply
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Hi robbery, the system is automatic, the admins and mods have nothing to do with it.
It does reward good sized sensible posts and threads, but you lose fv when using texttalk ie; lol, lmfao.... Llolololol. Lol, and bad spelling, swearing etc and one or two word comments, which a lot of users think will earn them fv, it doesent, it hurts you.... Lol
I hope this has explained a bit more to you, some of the other guys like ant would be more eloquent in their assessment of fv, but that's the best I can do mate.
Good luck
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Here's a basic run down of the automated fan valuation algorithms with regards to posts people make on the forums.

From what I've seen, its a hugely complex thing that calculates every word you write on the site over the last few weeks or months. It rates you based on your spelling (no text speak), grammar (commas and full stops, capital letters), length of posts (long is good), amount of posts (too much too soon is bad). Basically the best way to make good fan valuation is to go to a topic you feel strongly about, and sit and write a short paragraph about it. Spell check it first, in Word or whatever if your spelling is bad.

It will try to correct as much as possible for you, but a lot is up to you.

You fan valuation will naturally go down if you don't post for a while because if you consider that a person has perhaps written 7 good posts in 7 days, then if they don't post for five days, that's suddenly 2 good posts in 7 days.

I wrote this before in this thread:

Things that will automatically lower your valuation:
* Typing in all capital letters.
* Typing in text or l33t speak.
* Multiple swear words in a post, even if you try to be clever about it
* Begging for votes and friends

Also, If a mod has to manually delete your posts because they break the rules, you're valuation will go down.

Things that are totally against site rules and will get you on a watchlist
* Racism, homophobia, hate speech, excessive swearing, threats, images of violence etc

Please just take your time on the forums, enjoy yourself without insulting or attacking others. Spell-checking before posting would be great, a lot of the newer browsers do this automatically (Chrome, Firefox).

Hopefully this answers a few questions as to why some peoples valuations are low or drop strangely.

I believe all other actions on the site like watching videos, getting votes, rating videos, choosing man of the match, making friends, rivals, picking teams, updating your profile all add to your general fan valuation, but most people will see the biggest changes when they start to make positive contributions to the forums in a positive way.

Take your time, enjoy the site, and the rewards will come!
Thank you all for your helpful replies Makes more sense now
Mt1234 (Bolton Wanderers) 3 years ago
I wasn't aware this was how the valuations were calculated (not that it mattered to me anyway!). Would be neat if there was such feedback/info that popped up automatically whenever a user was about to submit a comment that penalized their valuation. I think THAT would have a much greater effect than making the valuation score seem to be calculated by some sort of bcs/qb rating/FIFA/quantum physics number magic. Cheers
Naki77 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Good implementation
Worth bumping this topic up to the top again and asking the newer users (and old users that have forgotten) to have a quick re-read.

Cheers
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Everyone give me cool votes yea? Lmao
[account-removed] 4 years ago
I was waiting for this comment lol Glad it came from you Rob
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Can somebody please help me.... My fan valuation went down and I think it might be a mistake.... Would a member check it out for me please. Thank you
Bhojan (Manchester City) 4 years ago
WHAT SHOULD I DO I CAN'T WRITE LONG SENTENCE because I DON'T KNOW MUCH ENGLISH IT'S HARD FOR ME TO WRITE LONG AND VERY HART TO WRITE CORRECT SPELLING, DO I LOSE MY FAN VALUATION BECAUSE OF THIS.... OR NOT.... WHAT SHOULD I DO...
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Easy, open up two windows one for footytube and one with a translator (I use google translate but I am not endorsing it there are literally hundreds) type your comments in your language then cut and paste what you want to say it's easy. The inverse works also if someone writes something I do not understand I will translate it as long as I know what language it is in. I hope this helps
Thanks BigShel     Link: translate.google.com/#
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Stop typing in capital letters for a start bhojan, not good for fv, plus users think your shouting.... !  Enjoy the site
Derby22 (Derby County) 5 years ago
Wow! I never knew that this was on the forums. I always used to ask for cool votes on meebo, but then diablo28 told me about this then I stopped doing it. I got it off someone else on footytube who asked me to vote him cool then he would vote me cool, and when Diablo28 came and told me about this, I realised that my fan valuation was getting lower and decreasing
Fingergod (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Fair rules ! Although I don't usually have a lot to write and sometimes find it easier to leave short comments.... Why get punished for that?
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Don't think of it as a punishment, think of it as a fair award for the effort you put in. You'd agree that someone who sits down and writes a big blog about the future of premiership football should get more valuation than the man who replies to it going "No you're wrong"
Hey all, if you notice someone is begging you for cool votes or otherwise trying to cheat the system, please point them to this topic. If they write the same message to too many people, we will probably get notified if the automatic script doesn't catch it by itself.

Cheating the system is just cheating the other users who have earned their cool votes and fan valuation fairly. Don't let it happen, and please don't do it yourself.

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/site-announcements/how-to...
Don't forget, it's against site policy to beg users for cool votes either in forums, on member walls or in meebo! If you do this a few times, it could trip a piece of code which automatically lowers your valuation.

Basically, if you want cool or funny votes just be cool or funny on the site, don't beg for them from other people.

Also, we've seen a huge rise in the amount of text speak in the forums, with shortened words like "u'r crzy" instead of "You're crazy". This is all picked up by the automated fan valuation script code which runs every night, and will hurt your valuation.

Things that will automatically lower your valuation:
* Typing in all capital letters.
* Typing in text or l33t speak.
* Multiple swear words in a post, even if you try to be clever about it
* Begging for votes and friends

Also, If a mod has to manually delete your posts because they break the rules, you're valuation will go down.

Things that are totally against site rules and will get you on a watchlist
* Racism, homophobia, hate speech, excessive swearing, threats, images of violence etc

Please just take your time on the forums, enjoy yourself without insulting or attacking others. Spell-checking before posting would be great, a lot of the newer browsers do this automatically (Chrome, Firefox).

Hopefully this answers a few questions as to why some peoples valuations are low or drop strangely.
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Wait. When you say typing in text speak do you mean any words abbreviated in that manner? Like Idk or Imo?
Yes, but mostly full sentences written in text speak. For example, if I had written this entire sentence here without any vowels.

All we ask is that peoples posts are readable and preferably spell-checked. Not everyone speaks English as a first language, so writing the posts in screwed up crazy hacker speak or text speak will not only make it hideously ugly, but harder for non-English speakers.

We're not trying to be cruel masters or force people to write in a strange way, just trying to make the forums as usable and intelligible as possible
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
I noticed when I attempt to use acronyms like "U. S. M. And. T. " for you. S. Men's national team (except without the periods), it's automatically corrected to lowercase, I suppose because of the filter on people typing in all caps. Does this negatively affect one's fan valuation?
Wow, that didn't turn out like I typed it at all. Haha. I intended to write "usmnt" as in United States Men's National Team.... Hopefully my question is still comprehensible.
Haha, yes, it won't affect your valuation. That's a text speak filter to stop people writing in shortened versions of words. For example, "u" becomes "you" automatically, unless you wrap it in quotes.

It catches everyone out, even lee who created it, but overall it does a fine job in making the forums more readable for everyone
Ok! Thanks for the explanation
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
It is cool the way the staff has been working on that fan valuation problem because sometimes people put Rude to you even if you are never Rude to anyone just by judging that you are doing too great and not them.... I am glad that had find a way to make it fair
Devang (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Great job guys....  Keep it up!  
Some people are still spamming the forums, posting the same message over and over again all over the place. This will not only be picked up by the fan valuation code at night and punish users automatically, but also all of the mods are usually notified so we have to spend our time cleaning it up, which we don't like
Realmanchester (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What about this one user being a hater on the barcelona page? Does he get points off or what?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football