Forums / Sheffield United
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup Hero Played For The Blades
Snowy08 (Sheffield United) 5 years ago
Yeah I remember him. He was the Uncle of my Brother-in-law. His house was like a museum of the stuff he collected. We still about him today. I played in Sweden in 86 and people asked if I knew him while Stockholm
Escafeld (Sheffield United) 5 years ago
Did you know that one of the most successful international football managers of all time used to play for the Blades? Indeed he started his professional football career at Bramall Lane and here is an abridged version of his story.

George Raynor, born in Barnsley 1907 was a journeyman English footballer. He played non-league football for a number of clubs in the South Yorkshire area before joining the Blades in 1930. He only made one first team appearance in the two years he was at the club. A County Cup Semi Final appearance against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough during the 1931/32 season. He played for another four clubs, Mansfield, Bury, Rotherham United & Aldershot before trying his hand at management.... In Sweden.... And what a fine job he did.

George is feted as a football hero in Sweden where as National Coach he guided Sweden to numerous footballing successes between 1948 & 1958. He won 'em the 1948 Olympic Gold Medal at Wembley, finished 3rd in the 1950 World Cup (where England suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to the USA). Got another 3rd place & a bronze medal in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics & then in 1958 got the Swedish national team, as hosts, to the World Cup Final which they lost to Brazil. He was knighted by the King of Sweden for this & then in 1959 orchestrated a 3-2 win over England at Wembley, only the 3rd English defeat on home soil. He then went onto to manage Juventus & Lazio in Italy before ending his career with a number of low profile managerial jobs in England, amongst them Skegness Town & Doncaster Rovers.

He was never given the recognition or respect in England that his achievments deserved & his death in 1985 went unrecorded in the English newspapers. His portrait however hangs in the headquarters of the Swedish Football Assocation & there is a whole section devoted to him in the Swedish National Football museum.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football