Forums / Portugal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Portugal V Spain, Jun 27
Usman (Real Madrid) 1 year ago
They let themselves down.... Nani.... I don't think he provided any cross in to the penalty area.... Ronaldo was closely marked by spanish players when ever he trigger a run he is blocked or fouled. Fabio coentrao was outstanding, rui patricio, ronaldo and moutinho had a good game but rest all played average and some below average.... !

If Nani would have played upto his standards then portugal would have won surely.... Ronaldo was closely marked so if Nani could provide some threat from other flank then it would probably split spain defence instead Nani was always muscle out by spanish. Hugo Almieda had some useless shots at goal and not even one on target and was usually seen chasing the ball.

In the penalty shootouts giving defenders chance ahead of likes of Ronaldo was good idea but it backfired. Casillas would have seen enough of Ronaldo in training so he knows where he is going to put it but he haven't seen much of pepe in penalties. Also Ronaldo recent penalty form would have affected the decision.

As for people who thinks spain's game is boring I agree with you guys. They just pass, pass and pass and scoring goals is just a formality to them. They kill many goal scoring opportunities in this way. Barcelona also play similar game but they are focussed on attack. There player are passing to create a move that ends at back of the net but Spainish team just pass to hold possession and create fewer opportunities then Barca. Its annoying to watch repeated passes between Iniesta and Alba no. Of times just to keep possession. Not playing a striker like torres and playing a false striker is rubbish theory. If you have midfielders that can score goals then there is no need for strikers. Why you bring them with the squad....
Mordos (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Germany got to be the favourites now, why didn't he start Torres?
FijianRed (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Because torres sucks this year. He is only in the spanish side cause of davids injury as we all know
Wildman17 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Good game from portugal, although the fact remains that to unseat a champion team like spain you have to go and TAKE it because they will not just give you the game. Unfortunately ronaldo was not able to take his opportunities with free kicks.... Kudos to portugal for a great tournament
Sigadee (Athletic Bilbao) 1 year ago
Does anyone else enjoy watching the 'tiki taka' approach to football? I certainly do. But then again, I am a very boring person (I also enjoy opera, for example)
Rangzw (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Yup I do
10turan (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Even the tiki taka was off in that game though. Lots of misplaced passes. It will be interesting to see if they show up for the (most likely to be Germany) final. They will either get punished by the Germans or step it up and win by 2 or more goals
Vitruvius (Toronto) 1 year ago
Do not compare tiki taka with opera. Opera is actually enjoyable as it is full of drama
Albokk (Juventus) 1 year ago
Nope
Boatdude (Borussia Dortmund) 1 year ago
Tiki taka with a purpose is awesome. Tiki taka keep away is a snooze fest
Lee333 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Its nice to watch but Spains tika taka approach can get boring because they need someone with spark, like messi for Barcelona
Robertoalvarez (FC Barcelona II) 1 year ago
Great game, I like how portugal came out and attacked, But I really didn't get their penalty shout out line up, they should ve started strong from the beginning with either ronaldo or nani, but great job from spain, tremendous team, that has proven why their number 1
Stawrogin 1 year ago
Why is spain getting this much hating? I got to watch the game without having a favourite. And spain beat mine (croatia), in fact I was expecting portugal to win after such a good run in the previous games.

But after watching so many false referee descisions (namely that ronaldo dive at the left side of the box, which gave him the chance for a good free kick), and SO MANY portugese divers, i've come to conclusion that portugal would've actually won if they did go for the ball instead of going for the ground.

They're such pussies. Always been. Terrible to watch. If you really wanna win, at least go for the ball and stop simulating all the f*****g time. I counted 3 dives from ronaldo (very dissapointing by a player of his stature), and several other players. It was a f*****g dive-fest, anyone notice? Almost unbearable to watch.
Can't have a team like this in the finals, so I'm glad spain won in the end
Devrod (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Ronaldo's diving disappointed you? Obviously you don't watch him play on a regular basis
NZxiNFINITYx (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Obviously you don't watch spanish football on a general basis  
Shuriken (Benfica Lisbon) 1 year ago
@Stawrogin  Yes! What a disgrace it would be to have a diving team in the finals, thankfully it was spain that got through!.... LMAO
10turan (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Spain didn't win the final. It could give them a bit of a kick up the arse. They played phenomenal in the last Euro and did enough in the world cup. I just feel that there potential is higher but as they are still able to beat teams playing the way they are, its enough for them.

Looking forward to see the likes of Thiago, Munian, and Cuenca make more appearances. I think Del Bosque is doing what every manager, even the best, end up doing sooner or later, and playing the team he believes is the safest to do the job. Eventually this kind of mentality catches up with you and you stagnate and get punished. Seen it over and over again.

People who think Spain play like Barca are not completely right. Barca have players who's style of play is direct (Messi, Pedro, Sanchez, Tello) and without these players they couldn't change the pace of the game at will. Spain need this, I think Munian should be starting. Also a side note, I don't rate Navas. Old-fashioned style winger doesn't fit there game. He must have an in with Del Bosque or something...
Crayon (Liverpool) 1 year ago
LOL xabi alonso! Nice try from half field again! Would love to see those more!
Goooner04 (Western Sydney Wanderers) 1 year ago
People that aren't Spain fans are just getting sick of seeing Spain win everything. But they are just the best at what they do now. You play sport to win and that's what they do, they're not out their busting their assess off to entertain a bunch of rivals fans they're doing it to win for they're country
Goooner04 (Western Sydney Wanderers) 1 year ago
If you want pure entertainment watch a f*****g movie
BosnaBarca (Barcelona) 1 year ago
IN MY opinion: Ronaldo should have taken the first PK and this would have put portugal players at ease to take the next ones. Your best player should go first. But since he didn't this means THAT messi takes THE player OF theyear award again 4 years IN A ROW. SAD for ronaldo but happy as can be for messi
Dannymorales21 (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Messi has what to do with the euros again? Oh yeah nothing instead he has an "allstar" game where he is the only player anyone has ever heard of. Please messi has nothing to do with euros you knw he is from argentina right? Not a euro country...
Troubletonight (Arsenal) 1 year ago
No you dumbass, he's implying that if Ronaldo could lead Portugal to winning the Euro 2012, then there's a good chance he will win the next Ballon d'Or, but since he didn't, it's likely Messi will win it again. Similarly, if Ronaldo led RM to win the Champions League, he would have almost definitely won the next Ballon d'Or
Footycray (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Ronaldo did lead RM to win the League, don't assume Messi has won the Ballon D'or for the "fourth" time. Ronaldo did carry portugal on his back so far, I think his chances of winning ballon d'or are better
PaoloG (Sevilla) 1 year ago
@10:50 - I don't speak Portuguese, but I think I know what CR is saying: "Shoulda gone first, dammit; I should've gone first.... "
Jeganx (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Or "Oh Lord, not again, this isn't fair.... "
Boatdude (Borussia Dortmund) 1 year ago
Euro is turning into a boring event. Penalty shoot outs are the worst. They hardly reflect who the better team was in open play
Better than a coin toss in the '50s...
Coin toss more exciting
f**k it, karate match ronaldo vs ramos. Let that decide the winner. I saw no football being played today
Nlst89 (RSC Anderlecht) 1 year ago
They should do one-on-one shootouts like ice-hockey    The US used to use that rule when Pele played there
I didn't watch the whole match but I think both team played awesome. Shame Ronaldo didn't get the chance to take that last penalty.

What was he murmuring about when the team losses at 6:03?
[account-removed] 1 year ago
Ronaldo culd have switched it like nani did
For sure Alves will still miss.... That will even bring down his confidence
Tbuchanan29 (Newcastle United) 1 year ago
I swear, Raul Meireles looks like a combination of Edward Norton from American History X and Birdman from the Denver Nuggets
Jon1979 (Real Madrid) 1 year ago
Lawl.... Norton says, I don't see it

Kick4Life - changing lives through football