Forums / Portugal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Portugal V Netherlands, Jun 17
Optical (FC Porto) 2 years ago
Great match! A totally deserved win IMHO! A solid performance by Portugal, very compact, very secure defensively and dangerous in offence, creating and also wasting a lot of chances. Ronaldo was also at a very good level, where we need/want him to be. The Netherlands have a roster of world-class individuals which could not perform as a collective today, they didn't display the same teamwork levels we accomplished in a nearly perfect way. Maybe what was gained in creativity and passing ability by bringing VdV (superb player, scored a great goal) to the first XI was lost in midfield muscle by benching Van Bommel. I dare to say we could have won by a far greater margin.

As for The Netherlands, I always respect them as a team, a lot was expected from them, and being disqualified does not erase the fact that they have some of the best players in the world, they just need to be 1 team and not just 11 individuals on the pitch, and for me they'll always be hot favorites in any competition
Thekoreankkim (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I completely agree. Netherlands just needs that teamwork to put together a collection of nice passes to score. They should learn from Barcelona, soccer (football) is a quick-tempo'd game now-a-days and Barcelona's passing game is a prime example
Osman2793 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Bring back Cruyff!
Thekoreankkim (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Wow. What a match. Cristiano Ronaldo had a great match and definitely compensates for his horrendous form during the Portugal - Denmark game. Netherlands only had a few great opportunities. Overall, very FUN game to watch for ANY soccer fan
Della (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Ronaldo and Nani Ruled the Dutchs
DaGaza (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Ronaldo with the best individual performance so far in the competition.... Great match.... Well done portugal and germany for making it out of the group of death
BosnaBarca (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Hey where are all the [C.] ronaldo haters after this game. The amazing ronaldo showed everyone why they are scared of him. What a beast of a man
Metallicapc (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Right here. Still hate him.... Nah, hates a bit strong. I can't really hate someone whoz never done anything to me personally but I still reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly don't like him. And he wasnt amazing in this game, the dutch defence was that bad. He played very well though, just not great
Sree (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Who cares you buddy, you hate barcelona because they play better football of your style, you hate manutd as they win games, you hate chelsea for ugly play. One day you will hate the fact that why your team playing football rather than exhibition match.
You don't know what is ronaldo personally, just like him as a footballer and his talet that's the only way we know him and talk about him
Metallicapc (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Er, who said I hate these teams.... Just because i've listed these teams as rivals doesn't mean I hate them. They're just rivals to the team I follow. I respect any team that play good football, what I do hate is that Real and Barca have been helped by an unjust division of tv money and bank/government aid, which in turn has led to a boring la liga(table, not style of play) and contributed to Spain being financially fcuked! I don't hate Chelsea or Man City, rather I hate UEFA for not introducing FFP sooner to stop this sugar(oil) daddy bollox.
And no, I dislike ronaldo because he acts like a child with a tantrum when things aren't going his way, and that he restyles his hair at half time and the fact that he's a media whore.
Well, it's fun to make fun of Ronaldo, but let's be honest: he's brilliant, isn't he
[account-removed] 2 years ago
No.... Holland just gave him time and space.... They gave up.

Take for example the part 0:15.... VDV should have been picking Ronaldo up.... But just let him run into space.

The Holland team just looked unfit.... The midfielders were not giving suport to the defence.

Germany and Denmark actually played well defensively and subdued Ronaldo and made him look average
How come the dutch have such quality mids and forwards, but they have no quality defenders?
BluFFmaster (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Ok, first of all in holland nobody execpt the defenders give support to the defenders

Second Ronaldo just bloody tanked your behind, plain and simple (your lucky you just lost 2-1)
Dabowlski (Sporting CP Lisbon) 2 years ago
Ratboi, they may have given up late in the second half, but that was not true for the first goal, as they were in good position. It was just that Ronaldo made a good run behind the defence, albeit most of the work was done by Pereira's brilliant pass
Shuriken (Benfica Lisbon) 2 years ago
@Ratboi9000 Well that's all fine and dandy except this: "Germany and Denmark actually played well defensively and subdued Ronaldo and made him look average. "
Seriously? Did you even watch the game against Denmark? Ronaldo found himself alone in the face of the keeper twice, don't think that qualifies as being "subdued" by the defence, the fact that he missed only came down to poor execution on his part....
Maybe start paying a little more attention watching the games before coming here spewing all kinds of nonsense? ....
Chelo (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
His best half was his first you know
Piggedy (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
@Osman2793  Every cheese has its holes
Danny88 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Cool finish by ronaldo for the 2nd goal
Danny88 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Reminded me of this    
BluFFmaster (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Shevchenko (too old)
CR7 (doesn't perform internationally)
Torres (why even selected)
Carrol (won't do anything)
I could go on.... Bendtner, Arshavin, Gomez even

I know its early but....
Honestly, all the critics/haters are getting f*ked up thier asses big time this tournament

Gabart (CDSC Cruz Azul) 2 years ago
Yeaaa! What a victory for the red sailors! Love him or hate him, CR is one of the very best nowadays. The dutch side is always overhyped and has no soul and winning mentality.... Specially playing against Germany and Portugal
DensCCCC (AC Milan) 2 years ago
You wanted ronaldo, you got ronaldo! #1
Kain (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Ronaldo kept his cool and he punished the dutch team in fine style, great player he is
Lovelyeli (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 2 years ago
Portugal.... *claps* amazing performance, Nani&Cristiano had a fantastic game.... Defence was solid after that VDV goal. They had so many chances.... This game could have ended 5-1 at least!

Love seeing ronaldo haters shut up.... Congrats on His brace and on his son's birthday!.... Happy fathers day indeed!
Mongolz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Amazing performance CR7. I feel bad for the Holland team with so many great talents
BassamSalem (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Hats off Ronaldo - A barca fan !
Dzivri (Barcelona) 2 years ago
What a crap formation by the Dutch. Sucks when coaches are put under pressure to play all strikers. Huntelaar was useless and in the way of VDV.
I would still play CR7 as a CF and rid him off his "defensive responsibilities" because if there's someone who can hit the target, it is him
Mad93 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Postiga is s**t.... I prefer CR7 as a forward...
Lovelyeli (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 2 years ago
Portugal have tried countless times to move CRON as a CF.... And he always becomes so isolated and frustrated, it never works out.

He works best on the wings where he has the freedom to move around!
AceManDoC7 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I agree lovelyeli, perfect example was in the world cup against spain when he played cf and lost, then a few months later he played as winger against them and beat them 4-0
Shazli95 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
I don't know if varela can play as a cf but if so he'd be great as he is so hyper and has much better ball control than postiga, while nelson oliveira is too inexperienced and completely lacks vision and positioning

Kick4Life - changing lives through football