Forums / Portugal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Portugal Chat
BarcaMyLove (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Ronaldo deserved 3 or 4 goals, he made the netherlands look shiieet.... Great to see a fantastic player produce club form for his country, hopefully him and messi can keep this up, and my god 2014 world cup will be mind blowing
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Oh.... Netherlands made Ronaldo look good.

They gave him too much time and space and they were poorly organised and positioned.... They just gave up
Ronaldo is actually quite an average looking player against decent opposition. Look at him against Germany or Denmark for example
Goonerforlife14 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
That's because you think gomez is god ratboi  Ronaldo did brilliant tonight regardless
BluFFmaster (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Denmark are a decent opposition but Holland isn't, are they not ranked 4th best team in the world    
Fifaman1017 (FC Barcelona II) 2 years ago
Ronaldo was average this game, he score 2 easy goals after 10 shots against a terribly weak defence
Jon1979 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Ratboi you are such a ronaldo fan
Jogafutebol (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Actually Ronaldo played quite well against Germany. He was a constant threat down the sides and was creating good chances for his team mates but they couldn't finish them. Against Denmark, his finishing let him down but these things happen even to the best players
JayaReHotspur (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
@ratboi you are stupid
I don't undershow anyone can say Ronaldo is the best individual performer so far.

I would say Gomez or Silva have been the best so far.

Gomez has 3 goals and an assist, Silva has a goal and 3 assists.

Ronaldo has 2 goals against a weak, unfit team who gave him too much time and space with no desire
Yo Ratboi I can see your love for Ronaldo
Lutheaven (Manchester United) 2 years ago
A team is only weak when a player like carrol or bentner can score a hatrick
Maaza (Barcelona) 2 years ago
One good game after two crappy games doesn't make him the tournament's MVP
Vivastpauli (FC Sankt Pauli) 2 years ago
Why does it have to be a midfielder or striker? Hummels played 3 very good/outstanding games so far and if the can continue to play like that it's not that far off. I think this honor should be received by a player who plays an outstanding tournament, not just one game.
Viva you seen ratboi lately!?

Yup anyone can win individual awards, like Kahn did in WC 2002 as a goalkeeper -- but point is some people don't care about the individual awards! I'm sure he would trade it in, for the WC trophy, he seemed like a team player to me
Am I supposed to know ratboi is? I'm new around here. Please explain. ^^

Sure, some people won't care as long as they win the big title. Doesn't hurt to win an award that compliments and acknowledges your outstanding performance throughout the tournament though. And any player who says otherwise is lying his pants off.
No one said it hurts to win awards

How could it ever be implied as such!? I'm sure no players would say otherwise.... Edit, the fact that you even brought up that players could/would say otherwise shows a lot about you mate!
What does it say about me then, I'm getting curiouser by the minute. Anyway, looking forward to more strong performances by Germany and Portugal in this tournament. ^^
Dunno what it says, but it shows some character! Curiouser is not a word...
100 inet points for you, more curious it is, I was hoping to start a trend but I guess it failed. Nah, my English skills tend to get worse after 2 am, apparently. ^^
Shevchenko (too old)
CR7 (doesn't perform internationally)
Torres (why even selected)
Carrol (won't do anything)
I could go on.... Bendtner, Arshavin, Gomez even

I know its early but....
Honestly, all the critics/haters are getting f*ked up thier asses big time this tournament

Its true
Actually I still don't rate Ronaldo. I think the Czechs will win and Ronaldo will look average
I think we will win, and Czechs will look below average X_X
2 years ago
But Arshavin was crap soo...
The entire level of Group A was on a lower scale than the one of Group be. Just because the Czech Rep. Made it out of an average Group doesn't mean they'll beat Portugal. Obviously it's still fairly possible since it's the EURO, but I don't think they'll win if Portugal plays an average game
Ok so ratboi says Czech will win -- and I say that Portugal will win! Nice....    
SKool (Arsenal) 2 years ago
CR7's goals today is for his Father who passed away in 2005(or 2004, not sure. Can someone confirm)    Happy fathers day people
Congrats for Ronaldo special player. Good luck in the semi-final
Hari6988 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
They still have to play quarter finals dude
Yeah but I think we will win the QF with np
2 years ago
I honestly hope Czech Republic win now!
Eh, it's 2 teams against each other with a non-existant center striker and hard-working midfielders. Portugal got the better defence so I guess it's plausible to say that they'll pass
LusoAmerican (FC Porto) 2 years ago
Lets not forget that the ball is round so it can roll to both sides of the field. And Jon1979 if the portuguese players go into the game with that mentality, we will surely come home crying with a lose in the quarter finals
Even though ronaldo moans and cries like a baby sometimes I really saw his hunger and passion for his team yesterday, congrats
Fungstar (Manchester United) 2 years ago
What a selfish c**t CR7 is. His team mate are in space and still he decided to take a shot himself instead of passing it!
Maaza (Barcelona) 2 years ago
He is really selfish but maybe rightly so when you consider how crappy Nani and Postiga are with their finishing
I would say nani is more self-fish, when if he assisted the goal. There was a moment near the ned of the game nani has the chance to pass to ronaldo, but nope, went for goal
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Are you kidding fungstar? Ronaldo was entirely unselfish in the Holland game he provided many clear chances for his team and himself. He only had one or two chances where he was selfish but as a forward with his potential you cannot blame him
The "selfishness" of a striker can be an edgy thing. When you miss so many times like Cristiano did you get bashed, but when you deliver you're called a genius. Yesterday, surprisingly Cristiano played for the team AND delivered, so that's a good thing I guess. Doesn't stop me from despising him for ridiculing an entire team (and country) with his attitude. Seeing everyone cheer for the other team just because Ronaldo is playing makes it sadly obvious
Dunno.... I like ronaldo, a lot of skill in all departments for sure -- but I would hesitate in calling him a genius lol, if you meant intellectual genius imo it's not really relevant!
Lovelyeli (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 2 years ago
Lol Strikers and Forwards are always selfish.... That is the one quality that sets them apart from the rest of a team.... They are there to always take the shot.

Ronaldo is no more selfish than balotelli, rooney, messi, aguero etc etc
MadridUnited (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
So true.... Lol. I think its almost a criteria for a striker to be selfish lol
Selfishness in extremes is also unhealthy though. The modern striker should also have the vision for the other offensive players around him, if possible. A good example might be Klose, who plays a vital part with his supporting playing style, the 3 offensive midfielders behind him greatly benefit from it and can create more variable attack patterns.

Though if the whole system is constructed to only focus on the striker as the finisher it's recommened that he's selfish, for sure. ^^
I coach 14 year olds MEN (lol) and in the team I coach my striker is really selfish and I feel if he wasnt I would probably not use him in that position. A striker to me needs to do things other players don't dare to do or think of doing, like take a shot from 40 meters out or go for the dribble when you can pass the ball. For example when mario gomez scored the second goal against holland (a few days ago) he could have passed it (cause he was in a tight angle) I would have (that's why I'm not a striker) but he took the shot and fortunately for him scored
Interesting point of view. There's a difference between needlessly passing the ball and using a better opportunity though. There's also a difference between the normal "selfishness" and a fullgrown ego. I'm not talking about absolutes, like you might've indicated. If a player has the abilities you described, he can exceed for sure.

Mario Gomez is a positive example for that kind of striker, as long as he can keep it up. That kind of player is always under a lot of pressure, always being judged by the media. It's undeniable the German 3 OMs behind him suffered in their play since he's the starter though.

Seen with Oranje in this tournament as the perfect example against that kind of play, also seen with Mario Gomez for a longer period of time with Bayern and the National team
X_X some people still love that robby-swag lawl

Seems like ego's and "selfishness" are prime factors in judging football players these days, when did we become the experts in such subjects!?
We didn't and we certainy aren't. It's just fun to talk about the different aspects and points of views. I think that's what this section all about. ^^
Glad we realize no one here is an expert on these subjects! Maybe that's why some aren't taken seriously often flattered that I still got fans ^^
Megadragao12 (FC Porto) 2 years ago
The midfield final clicked and played like they used to and the second they did that Portugal had control of the match. So many players played so well yesterday not just Ronaldo. I mean Joao. P assisted for a goal and both him and Fabio almost scored. How many times can you see that happen in a match? Custodio played very good for his first match in the tournament and won a lot balls at an important time. Fact is Portugal always put pressure on Holland and was winning almost all the second balls while Holland's back line put virtual no pressure on Portugal's front three and were slow in transferring from defence to attack. Ronaldo played great and could have maybe even scored more goals. It's cool that he dedicated his goals to his son since he turned 2 yesterday
When I saw J. Pereira play that pass to Cristiano I was like "WTF just happened? " Never expected him to have that much vision. ^^
That's why valencia picked him up before the euro started
NZLfootballer (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Watching Portugal makes me miss the old united, Nani gives Ronaldo assist, classic!
Lovelyeli (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 2 years ago
Omg yes!.... Nani+ronaldo are one of the reasons portugal is my favorite euro team they just bring back a lot of great memories!
2halves (Liverpool) 2 years ago
United has always had quality wingers. But the best ones weren't English unfortunately. Closest was Giggs!

I think Portugal have got this game. Good luck against Spain!
Delma (FC Porto) 2 years ago
Everyone is unique, there is nothing wrong with CR. He is not selfish. It is just his character. Why does everyone really hate him and always try to look at his weakness? No 1 is perfect, if you blame him I don't think you can make better than him. In my lifetime I met him once and shook hand with him on June 18, 2005. And I am pretty sure that he is not like what others may think of him to be. He loves Portugal and always brings out his best to give his team. He is still the best after all.
Yeah he's good! Hopefully we all play together and imo we will win this EC!
Megadragao12 (FC Porto) 2 years ago
I think his high exceptions for himself and his want to do better sometimes come off looking like his selfish. He has his flaws but then again everybody does, and those flaws are something that in time can change but what he does on the field with the ball can only be taught to an extant the rest is a god-given talent. Which is why I am glad his on our team
NeymarJr (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
You touched Ronaldo before, s**t your so lucky
2halves (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Maybe Ronaldo touched him...
Tdsmufan (Manchester United) 2 years ago
He played a great game today. The commentators keep mentioning his mistakes sometimes and that's starting to piss me off a bit. He is trying very hard so that Portugal could bring home the European cup home for the first time!
Where are the proud Portugal fans? Am I the only one that thinks we can win this tournament!?

Common, if we want to be favorites we should be confident, maybe a lack of confidence has hurt us in the past!
Its not a lack of confidence, its just not being cocky. I would like them to win it and maybe with some help from the football gods we could (lol). But no team has a confirmed pass to the final or even to the trophy stand. I am portuguese and we have a sayin which states "that the ball is round" this show that it can roll to any side of the field. And we can't forget that even the super barca was defeated by many teams this season and they are said to be by many the best team ever. So as fans lets not get ahead of ourselves and lets keep our humility and hope that the players see each game as chance to do the best for a country that supports what they do and highly look up to them.
But each person is entitled to their opinion so I hope I didn't a-fend you
You didn't offend me! It's hard to do that lol....    Yup it's a matter of opinion, why do you think we haven't won in the past!?
Balotelli45 (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Good luck tonight! I want to see you guys face Spain, the final is far from impossble imo, but CR needs to be as focused as he was against the Netherlands
Czech Republic will plough you
Cjaystacks (Manchester United) 2 years ago
And why are you posting this on this thread?
The ploughing shall begin soon
BlackAna (Liverpool) 2 years ago
.... I guess you can crawl back into your rat hole now
Madridista174 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
I guess I missed the ploughing?
Yo ratboi, Wenger called, said you're a bad scout for talent!
Cristiano.... This match is made for you, go score some big ones!
ZekeMadridista (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
This whole tournament was made for him, a golden chance for Cristiano to shine!
Superfanof (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Just saw figo, I WANT HIM BACK!
Figo is a legend
Yeah he gave everything for any shirt he place on his body great player I miss him alot
Tdsmufan (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ya same here!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football