Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup 2014 Begins With... Tanks
Macedonian (Napoli) 3 years ago
Same old storeys.
Was same before World Cup SA 2010 all this was in news but all work out fine World Cup In SA was ok.
Shore will have super world cup in Brazil South Americans are passionate about soccer is in their DNA.
Peteko 3 years ago
Brazil are behind schedule on stadium and transport projects

Peteko 3 years ago
Great post Tony.

The problem is that you can't solve problems that arise from poverty and isolation with tanks and police.

Brazil's economy has been growing fast, but apparently nothing has been reflected in the life of these neighborhoods. I wonder what the plan is here. Mass cleansing, by forcing them to move away from the eye of the reporters?

Of course it makes sense to take the hoods back from the crime-related gangs, but then you need investments or the crime will come back. These people will try to survive beyond the lines of the law if there is no other hope for them
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Just looks like they don't want them going outside of their own areas, a curfew would not surprise me, plus the brazilians don't want the world seeing the slums, or its people, as usual, the world cup is for those that can afford it
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I believe these tanks and armed personel are there to clean up the HUGE drug trade in the Rio slums. It is an extremely violent area with huge quantities of drugs and weapons passing through it daily. A few days after Brazil was announced as WC host 2014 there was a huge gun-fight between these drug gangs and the police and I can almost guarentee people were killed and injured. It was an incident completely unrelated to football but Brazil's (and especially Rio's) ability to hold a safe WC was brought into question.

You can read into these photos what you will, but I honestly believe they are there to make an attempt at cracking down on these gangs and not there for 'mass cleansing'.

Ps. This is not the artcile I read, but I believe it is reporting on the same incident.

Link: worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33652...
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
It seems that the people supposed to benefit from the "so called" world cup legacy are the ones being targeted here, so much for bringing football to the masse's, I'm sure everyone in the rio slums love their football as much as those that can afford to go watch a game.
The african world cup to me was a complete flop as regards legacy etc:, when most of the matches were played in half full stadia, why not let the poor people in for nothing? , rather than show the world you can't fill a stadium for a world cup game in a continent crying out for the love of football, because your people can't afford it? , I thought the sight of the half filled stadia was damming of south africa, and a disgrace
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
I think it will. I hope I can go there in 2014 but not for the world cup
Peteko 3 years ago
The preparation for the World Cup in 2014 begin with… tanks. Brazil wants to reign in the slums of the big cities where crime and drug trade is especially high. This operation was like a true invasion, but it ended up without incidents, thankfully.
More than 100 marines and 160 elite police officers took part in the operation in the hillside Mangueira neighborhood, in Rio.

Damn

Residents amazed at the spectacle

Women onlookers (young men have disappeared, I think fearing arrests. The gangs too had left without offering resistance).

A gangster cat threatening the future world cup

Paz indeed.

Nevertheless, I wish the best to Brazil, this great nation of football. May this be one of the best world cups ever.
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
That last picture is very ironic. Government often is the cause of violence, and than when innocent people are really being killed, do nothing about it. I am sure they had good intentions, but that is just ridiculous. This news really kind of pisses me off, me and some of my best friends have had a pack to go the 2014 WC in Rio since we were 16 for five years now. And this is the first thing I here about it, very ironic haha c'est la vie. I am going to love this World Cup, it's going to be the best summer ever, I have been excited for years this won't deter me

My buddy has a house there, so we are pretty hooked up, and my oldest brother is coming funny story about that one haha. Before he left for Durban for the 2010 WC he said I was crazy, Rio de Janiero was too dangerous, I am not coming to Brasil with you brother. Than he got back from South Africa, and he said I am coming with you man, I am not missing another World Cup

Kick4Life - changing lives through football