Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Remembers The NASL?
DaveBrett (DC United) 2 years ago
Here in the USA I grew up a fan of the North American Soccer League (NASL). It lasted 17 years, from 1968 to 1985. It was really popular in the late 1970s. But soccer's popularity in America nosedived in the 1980s for reasons that aren't entirely clear. Fortunately soccer is now more popular in the USA than it has ever been. And MLS has revived the names of a number of NASL teams on the west coast.

I would love to see the NY Cosmos return to MLS in a new stadium in Queens. MLS wants a second team in NY, but it is going to be very expensive to build a new stadium. It will probably cost at least three or four hundred million to build. I grew up a fan of the Cosmos and about 15 years ago I started collecting videos of Cosmos games. They are on my web site:Link: www.DaveBrett.com

I also know people who collect NASL jerseys. The Colorado Caribou jersey is the hardest to find because it is so rare:

Dave
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
I'm not an american, but I do remember the NASL being formed, and my favourite player george best joining the league with the likes of pele, beckenbaur etc:, the forefathers I suppose to todays league.
It had to start somewhere, and I hope you get your wish for a return for the cosmos, they were one of the originals to be fair.
You must be in my age bracket dave.... Old to elderly.... Lol
DaveBrett (DC United) 2 years ago
Tony, I don't feel that old. I'm 45. The thing about George Best is that by the late 1970s he was more style than substance. He was a good player at that point, but not a great player. And by 1981 he had sunk to mediocrity. I have 15 George Best games in my collection. The best are when he played for Ft. Lauderdale
George was finished when he went stateside, and even before that.
The drinking took its toll, and you could see the difference, although in all honesty he could still hold his own with the best.
Before that there was no one could hold a candle to george, and I include ALL the greats, the man was a genius playing in a different era, and no way would he look out of place playing now, and all the talk wouldn't be messi v ronaldo, that's for sure
Well the nasl was about has-beens and older players from abroad back then, where the mls seems to be more for younger players from abroad, and not so many big names, which is good for the american footy scene, giving more americans a chance

Kick4Life - changing lives through football