Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Stuff Do You Collect? / Worrying Compulsive Disorders
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
I've never really been one for collecting things. Closest I came back when I was young was filling the Back to The Future Panini Sticker Collection Album, and getting pretty close to completion with the FIFA footy albums.

That all change when I became rather compulsive in my obsession for arcade fire.... I've seen them live 5 times so far, one of the times saw me drunkenly bidding for tickets to a gig in Montreal on ebay at 3am in the morning. Waking up to find, I'd actually f****n won, and now needed to book flights to travel half way round the world to get to the gigs. I did, and saw them 2 nights in a row.

Which lead me to begin collecting their awesome tour posters, by Burlesque:

I currently have 10 of them, all signed by the artist, limited edition first run prints (probably worth around $10,000 as a collection).

I also have a very special one, signed by the entire band.

Aside from this, I also have several Shepard Fairey posters, again all limited edition and signed (he's the guy that did the Obama HOPE posters). Out of the ones I own, this is probably my favourite:

I also have some original Banksy signed artwork.

And super special edition Nathan Barley banksy book

I also have a giant poster (unsigned) that he did for Blur:

And finally, the funniest / coolest poster I own, is from the Modern Toss creators.

This is the video that goes along with this:

And this video by them, was filmed outside my old apartment in Brighton! (the building on the right).

What I find particularly awesome/amusing about the last video is that months before that video was filmed, myself and matt were drunk at 3am in the morning, shouting from my balcony to all the people you see on that street below with a massive megaphone.

There was a classic moment when someone came out onto his balcony and said "Oi you tossers, there are 300 other people in this building trying to get to sleep." to which matt replied, with megaphone in hand "yeah? WELL I don't SEE anyone ELSE complaining!". Genius.

The guy then called the police who eventually arrived and told us to STF up.

Another occasion we were drunk on the same balcony at 6am in the morning with a huge watering can, soaking people on their way to work from 100 feet up, with megaphone shouting "You are not your wet shirt" (a take on fight club - "you are not your job"). As stupid as it sounds, this was one of the funniest mornings of my life.

So I can only conclude that the modern toss video above was shot in homage to our massive awesomeness!

(I actually met the writers in a pub a few years later, and they bought us a pint, but never knew that scene outside my house existed.... So I will never know if they got the idea from our megaphone antics). Gutted

Anyway, what stuff do you collect and why?
Omar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Believe it or not, I used to be into a boardgame of sorts from Games Workshop, based of the Lord of the Rings movie. I used to collect the orcs, but you had to assemble and paint them by yourself, which was great, but a bit expensive. Here is an example of what I mean, and I still have this collection actually:

What I'm doing at the moment is collecting Coca-Cola bottle caps for Points in order to get things, not sure if it counts as actually "collecting" something....

I, like many others, was sucked into the "Trading Card" games. My most recent obsession, which was about 3-4 years ago, was the Dragon Ball GT card game. I still have them, but are set away in a drawer......

At the moment, I don't have any money to waste. I mean, to spend on collectible items......Hehe.....
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
Ah my mate used to collect games workshop figures, they were ace. And you probably don't remember this, but back when I was a youngun, there was a massive craze for finding winning coca cola ring pulls to cash in and collect yo-yo's.

Like all good things in england, they got banned in school playgrounds for being 'dangerous'. They also banned balls in the playground at my school. So, we began playing with Stones (far less dangerous - not). They then banned playing football with stones, and our dinner ladies actually 'confiscated' any stones we were playing with.

Totally futile obviously, since there are about a million frigging stones scattered around the playground, so we'd just get another and continue.

We got dead good at 'stone football', learning how to chip the stones, and volley them into the goals.... Only thing that didn't go down too well with the school nurses was stone headers, which resulted in several casualties
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 4 years ago
Holy s**t, dude, I remember when I was like 8 they had that craze again I think, or maybe it was the first one, and everyone at my school had coca-cola yo-yos, wtf was that about. How did they brainwash us to like yo-yos?
Wow. Your school sounds like a prison, of sorts.

Like I said, I still have those LOTR-Games Workshop figures. I'll take a pic of myself with them to prove it!

I was also sucked into the Yo-Yo craze, but with other brands, like Duncan and the light-up ones. My friend tried bringing Yo-Yo's back, but lets just say he was unsuccessful...
Alen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I collect money! From different countries around the world, most of the stuff I have is from Western Europe/Eastern Europe with some stuff from the Middle east, and south America, ill make a video or something showing what I got
I've got a Mongolian dollar, as well as some Mexican Pesos, some Euro's, and some Australian dollars, with a bit of Korean currency!
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Err, I started collecting football international/club pin-badges a couple of months ago (I have about 40 now)

I suppose polo shirts would qualify as an obsession, as I have absolutely loads of them
I got 96 notches on my bed post, if that counts as collecting
Ewwww you got herpies! Lol jk must be fun in college is this why your not on footytube as much?
Hahaha I wish man, I wish. It's not a weekend if it doesn't burn when you pee on monday, I always say. I've been busy with school and work, but I try to stay on mostly at like 10 pm til 3 am haha, the only time I have to go here most of days
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
You sure its not woodworm raf? .... Lol
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Pokemon Toys, Cards and the Games. Don't call me child. Just can't get rid of my love of pokemon
Oh yeah! I have a lot of those cards when I think about it lol I use to collect pokemon and digimon cards, also I got a lot of basketball cards and Magic the gathering cards haha
Yu-Gi-Oh hit the US, and I was obsessed with it. A few months later, I traded them for DBGT cards. Now I don't use any of them.

Magic the Gathering was a pretty wild game actually
Alen- I got a few cards that are worth £300 each. And I'm waiting for it rise a lot more. One day I shall pass it down to my child. And whenever he needs the cash he can cash it in to help. Clever? Yes.

Morin- Ahh Yugioh. I was obsessed at a time. Sadley my stuff got robbed at my local gym (Tin of cards, Phone and Packet of mint lol) so I never really bortherd to start again. But good god, I wasted alot! Of money on it
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Pokemon. Lol I don't think I ever watched that show, But tons of my friends collected Pokemon stuff in second grade, LOL
Everyone collected Pokemon when it came out. It was popular.
I still think the games on the Nintendo DS are pretty good adventure games. I would still play those games, just not invest or buy in anything else.

I spent a lot in all of the things I collected, and now I wish I had that money back
Ah But when Pokemon hit I just didn't see how cool it was, so kept on going with my collection of teddy bears
Https://www.Jemwholesale.Com/images/37106.Jpg
Loool I got all the games. Including an Chinese Edition of heart gold I bought online. And I got 2 Ultra Rare charizard Original cards. Last time I checked it was worth over £200
Hahahaha Cheap original cards
Cheapp.... Yes they were. But they are top dosh now
Old Collectibles right?
Theshid (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I collect coins especially old coins from all over the world (I travel a lot) I just love it , I always tell myself that 50 years ago a guy like me was holding that coin (I know its crazy) .

I collect japanese manga like one piece (great manga you have to check it out).

Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
I collect wrestling figures. I'm a great fan of WWE and I've got about 20!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I was mad collecting those 'Dragon Booster' figures which comes free for a pack of cheetos, some 4 to 5 years ago!There were 12 figures in total, I would have ate 70-80 packets of cheetos to collect them all!
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
My first collection was the Panini sponsored 2006 World Cup stickers though I never really completed my collection. Their was this old thing called Shoot Out cards and the company that made them were bought by Topps who brought out Match Attax (football trading cards) and they were a massive hit in my school. I managed to get every Premier League normal card (yippee!) For a while, although not now, I enjoyed WWE and I collected Topps Slam Attax trading cards. The name was gay and cheesy and they'd just ruined the whole idea of the football cards so I stopped collecting them. And then.... I collected these Magic Box Inc. Gogos Crazy Bones random figure thingy-ma-bobbies for a while and then stopped when the next series came out because it was a total rip off and I just couldn't be arsed with collecting any stupid cheap plastic figures or peieces of card any more. So thanks for reading my formal lecture
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
The only thing I would say that I collect would be george best memorabillia.... just everything or anything related to george.
I have loads of different stuff, from newspapers to george best on a £5 note,
But its not a compulsion, or expensive.
I keep it sensible and affordable
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Currently, I am not collecting anything. I once collected DVD's, but then I realized that instead of paying for them, why not just download them for free and burn it. I've also collected Transformers, which were f*****g sweet, until my friends f****d them all up
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I still have my pokemon cards from when I was younger.

Wanna sell them? I'm a serious buyer mate. Send me a message on : Thelolbrush@googlemail.com     please think about it
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lolol really? Who wants pokemon cards
Yes deadley serious. Can you show me like all the cards in a pic then I could tjhink of a price for em
Wow.... I didn't know I was dealing with a bunch of little kids here
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
I had Pokemon cards, but I got bored of it and threw it away.

Now it's Duel Masters and Yu-Gi-Oh for me.

Duel Masters

Yu-Gi-Oh

Yugioh is awesome. Sadley my ultimate deck got stolen lol
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I collect monkey stuff. A few years back I had a fairly popular website and people from all over the world used to send me monkey related things - like Japanese monkey bubblegum or a Tshirt from America with a zombie monkey on it. I have quite a collection by now, and still find myself picking up the weirder monkey things I see if I go to a market.

It also makes it easy for friends and family to choose gifts for Christmas and Birthday - anything with a monkey on it is probably good
A monkey with a limp by any chance?
Or maybe even a Chimp with a Limp?
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
What are you two talking about
;P
Lol

Kick4Life - changing lives through football