Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Are The Coolest/best/unique Function/freq Used Software You Had Used Before Or Will Recommend?
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Anyone wants to share what are the software that they are using in their everyday PC?

I had used Directory Opus before.

Link: www.gpsoft.com.au/index.html

Seriously the best replacement for the explorer function. Although Windows 7 had made up someway with the libraries function.

For people studying professional certs, Visual cert exam suite is the best thing to study for your exam .

Link: www.visualcertexam.com/visual-certexam-suite.html...

For the all-in-one package of browser, use Opera.

Link: www.opera.com/

Even though, its ironic to say this, I felt the betas or alpha versions of Opera are always better than the final version. Yeah, I know of the websites incompatible thingy, but that's because of web master checking browser, not the browser fault.

For the perfect RSS reader, for me there's none better than Google reader. Feedly https://addons.Mozilla.Org/en-us/firefox/addon/feedly/ comes a close second.

Tuneup utilities has got to be one of the best around for optimising PC. Link: www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/...

For freeware, OpenOffice is a top top product. Free and compatible with MSO. What else do you expect?

For CD burning, look no further than IMGburn. Link: www.imgburn.com/

For Video , Can anyone look past VLC or KMplayer? My personal fave is KMplayer. Undoubtedly more responsive and clearer imo.

I used Foxit reader as a replacement for Adobe reader. IMO, Adobe doesn't know what the readers want.

How about you?
Raj (Chelsea) 2 years ago
We have some similar programs Juno , I get a lot out of KMplayer and Foxit reader . Also use Open Office but the new laptop came preloaded with MS Office so I'm not complaining .

An absolute must for me personally since I go through about 8 terabytes of data is this excellent piece of software called Everything , and I would highly recommend it for any user of windows . Basically scans all your hard-drives , external included and indexes them with easy access .

Everything

I personally use the latest alpha build you can find here : Link: forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=592...

Helps when you're searching for something specific , including any kind of media so you can even filter out the audio, video , exe's (software) , archived files , etc .

Possibly one of the simplest and most effective software I've ever used , and its freeware !

I switch between Opera and Firefox for web browsers . Good to see Opera finally having extensions but it still needs some working , but its easily the most stable , well designed all round stand-alone browser around . Firefox just beats it with the addons functionality .

KMplayer beats all players for me , including VLC and that's saying something hah . Plays 1080p effortlessly and has the smallest RAM footprint out of any of the players out there . They've stopped development though which sucks and now there's GAUM player , by the same developer . If you haven't already checked this out , try this skin with KMP , offers the best functionality : Link: www.kmplayer.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1...

For music I use Jaangle (open-source) , AIMP (a Russian underground music player or Foobar (also open source) . If you're an audiophile and play flac or wav files a lot , these are all you'll need , unlike many of the popular players which don't have support .

Some of my other programs that are always on and I use are , Process Lasso , Rainmeter , Internet Download Manager, Supercopier , Ccleaner etc .

Good idea for a thread , might throw up some gems of good software many people aren't aware of
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Spotify, Lee Recommended it to me like a year ago and I'm still using it for all my music, very easy to sync all your fave music on phone, ipod and laptop.

Worth paying £9. 99 a month
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Clip 2 net

The best screen capture program

A simple tool I use alot , easier then hitting print screen as you can crop by just clicking the icon and highlighting what you want
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
^ This is amazing, he's not lying
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Does anybody know how to make videos or any good programs for that. I don't think I would be very good at it, though I use to love making videos in tv tech that was just me and my buddies doing stupid funny s**t with a camera and putting it together. I don't know how to make something like a football video. Just saying if I did, I would make a Steven Gerrard video or Messiah with this song

Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I came here to mention VLC Player, Google Chrome browser, and a couple others but they've been mentioned already.

I use Opera as a browser 95% of the time but when I want rapid browsing, for a very quick issue, I just open Chrome.

One other tool I use a lot is MediaRenamer. You just point it at a folder of Movies, TV shows, whatever and it makes a best guess based on the IMDb (which you confirm) and you tell it to rename all your shows and stuff. It makes sorting out your entertainment very easy, especially if you get shows and movies from various sources
[account-removed] 2 years ago
I use mozilla firefox 4. 0 beta 12. It is very fast and I urge all user to use this.

Yea chrome is also very fast ant but for large kb sites I would prefer you to use mozilla
Its firefox 5 now. They dropped supports for firefox 4 after just 6 weeks
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Yeah and chrome save's your data and records your browsing history, so you may well be getting a quick browser but your selling a bit of your soul to them too!
Saumilsachdeva (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Chrome's got speed man.... And I didn't felt the need to use any other browser.... !
Rockerr (Liverpool) 2 years ago
VLC for videos and Media monkey(lightweight and cool) for music.

Sumatra, a simple and ultra lightweight reader for pdf files.

And Opera as my main browser.
Guys can anyone tell me which is the best "downloading" software?

I have heard about Internet Download Manager but it got expired exactly after one month because it asks for registeration after one month and there is some key to unlock that regesteration. But if I again install him it shows the same problem. Now I am using orbit. So if you know how to solve that problem regarding Internet Download Manager please tell me? And also tell if you have any better software other than IDM?
Nothing is better than IDM. But FreeDownloadManager FDM comes close for some people who used it. I prefer IDM though
Thanks dude I have decided to download "freedownloadmanager" but it is better than "orbit?
Saumilsachdeva (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Download accelerator plus.... DAP.... Is good for me.... !
Ok
Had just stumbled across this Android/iphone app - Zinio. Its an App to read and buy Magazines online. Link: www.zinio.com

The great thing about this app is that the magazines that you buy cost mostly at a lower cost because (I guess) of the lack of freight cost, hard copies printing cost etc

Kick4Life - changing lives through football