Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Movie Thread
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
JUST GO WITH IT with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Anniston. Hilarious!
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
As I really enjoy watching Comedy Movies, I can't wait for The Hangover 2 to come out

Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 3 years ago
Has The Movie Thread been pulled?
Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 4 years ago
This was a chancer at best. The woman at the petrol station likes to put a little sticker on the DVD's she has watched. 'Your videologist recommends" I usually try to avoid these.
This was one very very very lightweight cliche-bound and evoked a ninteies vibe. BUT Perfectly watchable Rom Com.... If you have nothing else to watch
It was called She Is Not in Your League. It is Choc full of the stupidest ideas that are plain wrong. Look past the gender-preference inaccuracies and it is OK. At least they didn't drink/drive which is my latest hate-that feature in movies
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
My cousin went to the premiere in the Toronoto Film Festival, ridiculously good was the verdict and she actually got to meet Edward Norton and also spot Woody Harelson at the screening grrr. I can't wait to see this , looks like another memorable one by Danny Boyle. James Franco's best to date , gotta' be

127 Hours :

That trailer makes every mother with kids away back-packing feel nauseous
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Awesome!? , thanks for the tip, I could watch a movie by Danny Boyle anytime of the day
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
On my waiting list.

Love Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter.

Phorce16 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Definitely a winning duo!
This movie has the cutest little trailer.
The first time director has written scripts for Flight of The Conchords in the past.
I am definately going to see this and get a dose of Kiwi Humour.

Yeah! I am in New Zealand. While I am here I wanted to see this film but it wasn't showing in Auckland or anywhere else!. Luckily I got a DVD copy in the New World Supermarket Bonanza Bin in Devonport for 9dollarNZ. I live in Devonport UK by the way. Bit of your global serendipity what? Eh? Loved loved loved this awesome movie. I laughed out loud. I sobbed to snot.
It was touching and hilarious. The director had a short in the 48hrs a few years ago. Brilliant!
The kid actors are adorable. I don't think it is possible to live this way anymore (set in the Eighties). Maories Rock! The film is called BOY and now I appreciate why, the director wishes he was still a boy
AND the bonus commentary is almost better than the film. I love this kind of stupid but sharp-witted humour even though they do drink and drive.... I will forgive
FOUR lions.... Discuss. * * * * *

I saw this at the Sydney Film Festival.... So not sure when it on general release.

This is a must-see boundary buster.

The ex-pat mob who came to pay homage to their comedy hero in The Big Squid got the added bonus of the man himself Chris Morris the director doing a presentation before and Q & A after wards. Made every dollar of the ticket worth it! He had obviously honed the patter a bit, but this film pushes the comedy boundarys and so does the man.
It is basically perfectly timed slapstick about a very serious subject.... Terrorism. At first the mainly Ex-pat Brit audience were hesitant to larf. Woah! Should we be laughing at that!? But with every new explosion came a greater explosion of laughter in the audience. Sharp, funny, well paced and just a little bit edgy.
I loves a bit of Black Humour.... You gotta' go see if like-minded.
INCePTION

This movie is beyond awesome, brilliant and a sodding masterpiece.

1 It has Leo and a grand little ensemble of cheeky chappies.
2 The soundtrack rocks your world at the speed of light
3 Your world view is altered permanently
4 Love movies with a puzzle : demands viewer involvement and concentration to detail
5 Rollicking breakneck pace with dense-tense and suspense
6 MindBLOWING spec fx
7 Novel original film structure mucking with concepts of time. Etc.
8 totally awesome hotel scene with sidekick kicking arse. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!
9 Class One-liners
10 Woah! WTF end
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I love movies that make me think the whole TIME. It was great!    Really. I was serious. Best movie of the year hands down
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Completely agree
Charliehenry (Verified Legend) 4 years ago
Very good film but what I don't get what were they actually trying to achieve not te best film of the year IMO i'd rather see a new Matrix but quite good anyway
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
So good, Turning into my new favourite movie!
I am going to see it again tonight at the IMAX Auckland. Excite
Omar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This video-short was AWESOME!

Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Please Oh Please. For the love of DC and Marvel finish the movie! Lol
Not sure if its been mentioned but enver the less I watched 3 great movies lately.

1. Chiko
2. Adam Resurrected
3. The Soloist

Three great movies, all three very different from the rest.

Brilliance

Cheers,
Gomlee (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Fearless
Not the best of movies but if you enjoy martial arts and you can take a bit of unrealistic jet li movie effects it's quite good. Keep in mind there is parts of it that is a little boring and the script is very....Chinese, but some of the fighting scenes makes up for it if you ask me. Not a complete movie but i'd give it 7/10

Link: www.imdb.com/title/tt0446059/

------------------------------------------------------

I also saw this one day and was amazed by how well it was made, Assasins Creed: Lineage:

Link: divxfest.com/assassins-creed-lineage-2009...

It's just a short movie so it doesn't classify as a movie tbh. Only lasts about 30mins

-----------------------------------------------------
Another one that kind of stuck on my mind was the movie 2012, near the end it's pretty mind blowing and some of the scenes does open your eyes but it's also a little unrealistic and for a movie of this type that's a big nono but it get's a solid 8/10 from me. End of the world, everything is happening all at once etc you know the drill...Lol.

Link: www.metacafe.com/watch/3022656/2012_movie_trailer/...

-------------------------------------------

Oh yes, another one that always entertains me and bear with me on this it's a horror movie but I find it so funny....So worth watching, and most people have probably seen it...Lol.

Dog Soldiers

I'll leave it at that.

This really was a great movie!
Chrisredfieldjm (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Coffee sucks. Nee shu bi chur!
Chrisredfieldjm (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Moral of the story, don't trust women!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I watched two films last night: first my friends and I watched Robin Hood in the cinema, which I recently only rarely visit because of the ridiculous prices. 9 euros for a film, when it's crisis, considering it was only 6 two years ago and nothing in the cinemas has improved is ridiculous.
Later that evening I watched 'Shutter Island', another masterpiece of Martin Scorsese.
_________________________________________________________________________________

But enough of my rants, let's talk films: Robin Hood, the English folklore hero, has always been portrayed as an unrealistic hero with superhuman abilities. Or at least in the films I've seen. Not any more: Riddley Scott made a film that tells us the tale of Robin Longstride (an excellent Russell Crowe), an archer of the army of Richard the Lionheart, returning from crusading mischief and failure to recapture Jerusalem.

Pillaging, they seek a way back to England, but during their last siege of a French castle, a crossbow bolt kills Lionheart. The legendary king is portrayed here not as the über-chivalrous idol, but as a fearless and beloved commander, who wasn't chivalrous in the fairytale way, but who was a fair ruler his people loved.
Archer Longstride and his mates however, when they hear the king died, flee the battle hoping to return to their homeland before the entire army does and end up in a forest near the French coast. In that same forest, French mercenaries ambush a party of English knights who had the task of returning the royal crown to London. The French kill them all, only to be killed shortly afterwards by Robin and his men. The leader of the French, Godfrey, a treasonous Englishman hired by King Philips of France, manages to escape the scene though. He was sent to kill Lionheart by Philips, oblivious of the fact he had already died in battle.

This doesn't dampen the spirits of Robin and his men, because they plan to rob the knights of their armour and possessions to return to England as wealthy men. The final words of one of the dying knights as he spoke to Robin though, were that he would have his sword returned to his father in Nottingham. The dying man is none other than Sir Robin Loxley, son of Sir Walter Loxley. Robin Longstride honours his request and once he has arrived in London, pretending to be the knight Robin Loxley himself, rides to Nottingham.

From thereon, the story unfolds into a story of true heroics: Robin and his men make Nottingham, one of the villages terrorised by Godfrey and his French tax collecting mercenaries, a better place. The newly crowned king John finds out his 'friend' Godfrey is a traitor and has to prepare for war. And I just realise I should stop telling the whole story, because some of you may still want to see this film

In the end, the whole film is about how Robin Longstride became the legend Robin Hood, much like 'Batman Begins' tells the story of how Batman came to be. I expected a mediocre but relaxing epic film, but it turned out to be better than that. It's not quite as great as 'Gladiator', but it's not as light-weight as 'Kingdom of Heaven' either. I give it an 7.5/10: a very entertaining film with some good acting and only a few somewhat far-fetched flaws Ridley Scott has a knack for.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Afterwards, I also watched Shutter Island on my computer (yeah, I'm one of the bad guys downloading and sharing films with my mates), and I was very impressed. Not hugely impressed, but I didn't expect it to be this dark and thrilling.

The story begins in 1954 when Marshall Daniels (another great performance from Leonardo DiCaprio) and his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) coast towards 'shutter island' to investigate a case of an escaped patient. Shutter island is no resort for rich patients treated by the best doctors, nor is it an isle for lepers. It's an island where the very worst cases of the insane go, or as Daniels calls them, the 'criminally insane'.
As the film progresses, it becomes clear the psychiatrists (Ben Kingsley and Max von Sydow dwell between mysterious, macabre and compassionate doctors) don't seem very honest or cooperative with Daniels, appearing to be lying to him and manipulating the other patients. Daniels gradually grows more weary and wants to leave the island, but a heavy storm prevents ships from sailing out, so he's stuck for the time being. The longer he stays in the institution, the more he begins to get flashbacks from his past, as a soldier uncovering the horrid events that were going on in the concentration camp Dachau in WWII. His deceased wife also spooks in his mind, who keeps telling him to get off the island, because it will be the end of him.

Again, I force myself to stop typing, because from here the story gets interesting, and sadly enough for some reason (I must've watched too many films) I completely predicted the outcome. The remaining hour and a bit slowly confirmed what I suspected, albeit in a very thrilling and Hitchcock-like manner which still often surprised me and still always grasped my attention, despite the fact that my initial thoughts were all confirmed.
It is a very good thriller, a bit of a masterpiece really. 8.5/10
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Shutter Island is good....    
Gomlee (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Shutter island is pretty genious, enjoyed that one when I watched it a while back. Robin hood is alright too
I believe Russell Crowe gave up smoking during the making of Robin Hood, which he has tried to do many times before. He nearly managed it during Master and Commander. Apparently he was successful this time
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I recently (duh) watched Disny Pixar's Up,and guess what?It was all class.
Seriously,it was one of the best films,i've EVER watched!
Wonderfully well written story,and the whole movie is filled with good jokes,ensuring chuckles all the way through.
And no wonder,rated rightly by rotten tomatoes a 98%,a remarkable flick.
(and definitely not ONLY for kids)

P.S You'll definitely cry during the movie.
DanStar (AC Milan) 4 years ago
So I guess we post movies we have seen recently eh?

How to train your dragon in 3D

Link: www.imdb.com/title/tt0892769/

Yeh I've also seen Kick Ass

Link: www.imdb.com/title/tt1250777/

Oh yes and Clash Of The Titans

Link: www.imdb.com/title/tt0800320/

{Edit: removed your lengthy imdb copy and pastes. We would rather know what you think about the films}
An alright movie if you like Harry Potter a must watch.  
It's the 21st century, but the gods of Mount Olympus and assorted monsters have walked out of the pages of high school student Percy Jackson's Greek mythology texts and into his life. And they're not happy: Zeus' lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Even more troubling is the sudden disappearance of Percy's mother. As Percy finds himself caught between angry and battling gods, he and his friends embark on a cross-country adventure to catch the true lightning thief, save Percy's mom, and unravel a mystery more powerful than the gods themselves. Written by 20th Century Fox

Kick4Life - changing lives through football