Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
SOPA & PIPA
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
It's ridiculous that they should even consider passing a bill like this. There really is no such thing as free speech these days...
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
It's a good thing this controversial bill gets so much press attention. If it didn't, it probably would pass without much hassle and people would only realize it did when it is too late
Barracuda (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I don't suppose there is anyway for non us citizens to oppose this act, is there ?
BlackAna (Liverpool) 2 years ago
The best you could do is inform your American friends, discuss the issue with them, and direct them to links where they can sign the petition
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
footytube has replaced the site header to bring attention to the SOPA bill.     Link: sopastrike.com/strike/
This should help increase the awareness on the issue. Very nice
Explanation
----------------

How these Bills will damage growth and economy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Videos

Articles

Link: www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/truth-about-economic...

News coverage
----------------------

Helpful links if you are still confused about the Bills

Sopa vs pipa: Link: www.digitaltrends.com/computing/sopa-vs-pipa-anti-...

Google sopa/pipa info: https://www.Google.Com/landing/takeaction/sopa-pipa/

Wikipedia sopa/pipa info: Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Le...

What can you do?

Well if you reside in the USA you are obliged to take action and sign the petitions against the bills, these petitions will be sent directly to your respective congressmen.

Google Petition: https://www.Google.Com/landing/takeaction/

General Petition: Link: fightforthefuture.org/pipa (under the video)

This is very important, the freedom of the internet is in your hands, and the world is watching
I posted this on the Liverpool chat but I'm not sure it would get enough attention so I want to post it here as well.

"Something important is happening on January 18

Some major internet sites are striking against the SOPA and PIPA censorship bills. If you don't know what these bills do then watch this video here:

Link: fightforthefuture.org/pipa

After watching the video, if you reside in the USA you are obliged to sign the letter below that video to be sent to Congress. This is important, you will be protecting your internet freedom and the freedom of many outside the USA. These bills are equivalent to the kind of internet censorship happening to China. If the USA sets this as an example the free world will follow.

If these bills are passed this site and many others such as Youtube etc would be purged.

Sites that are striking include reddit, Mozilla, Wikipedia, failblog, imgur, center for the democracy and technology, minecraft, destructiod, wordpress and many others as shown here:

Link: www.sopastrike.com/

I hope this site also joins the strike to raise awareness to the matter. Thanks for reading."

Edit: Many more sites are joining the strike in one way or another, big names include:

Google (banners)
Major League Gaming (complete blackout)
Tor project (complete blackout)
Internet Archive (complete blackout)

Full list can be seen here:

Link: www.sopastrike.com/
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
@BlackAna if I understand it right this bill is only for the states but i've heard that the European Union is monitoring the outcome and intends to bring in the same sort of legisation if its approved I'll copy your post over to the United site as we've got a large American fan base.
Have you posted this directly to the mods on questions?
No I haven't but I'm sure the staff here are aware of the Bill. Also the Bill doesn't just affect US based sites, any foreign site that is found to be "infringing" would be removed from google indexes, and the governement will force US based company's to not do business with these sites, for example US-based advertising would not be allowed on the sites, the sites funds cannot be stored in a US based company, for example Paypal. USA based internet service providers would be forced to block access to these foreign sites aswell.

These are just for foreign sites, if your site is US-based (.Com) then your done for.

Read more here

Link: www.digitaltrends.com/computing/sopa-vs-pipa-anti-...

Edit: I have sent an enquiry using the footytube contact link
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Well after reading the digital trends piece it looks like our future freedom on the internet is dependant on if internet users object, otherwise where gonna' get stuffed by the friggin redknek bastards that want to rule the world ! Not a pleasant thought at all ! So come on lads ! Save our souls!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football