Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Rivals Who Are Now Friends?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Have you any rivals, who are now good friends?
I know since I have been on footytube I have never rivalled anyone, any rivals I have all rivalled me.
I know a lot of rivals are made early on when you first joined footytube, when users really don't know each other, comments get lost in translation, and the next thing you know, you have a rival, but in reality you probably have more in common with that person.
Have any of you became good friends with previous rivals, if so, let us know, you don't have to mention any names, if you don't want to, but us being nosey ba**ards wanna no who it is.... Lol
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Ah good thread Tony.
I rivaled Reid Scott Anderson at first, thinking that he is a meanie(ugh). Now I know what he is and I wish I could remove him off my rival list.... And oddly enough, he is my top friend
We have something in common, we love Italian footy.
Any ways to remove him from the rival list?
I must mention it to the admins again.  They are busy with the world cup coming up, and getting wc dreamfooty up and running.
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Part of being a mod is trying to change the way new users make topics, and to ask them nicely to search for older ones, because usually theres a big old topic a few pages back. Unfortunately most people seem to see that as me bing rude so I get new rivals and rude votes all the time, but am just trying to keep the forums readable
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yeah I can understand why Mods get lots of Rivals and rude votes lol.... But I'm sure those rude votes turn into cool, clever or funny votes later on LOL...
Tell me about it ant.... Lmao, and you could'nt get nicer guys than me and ant, a shame really
AnthonysOpinion (Atlético Madrid) 2 years ago
Sorry about that, brother. New people (like Me) do not understand The Way. We are intimidated by new search engines, so we make new threads that scream NOOB. We feel threatened by any response that isn't:

"No problem, brah. Here's how you do it. "

I will change my Rude votes ASAP.... Well, more likely, when I friggin' feels like it
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I'd presume some of the new new members who don't know about the joint enough yet, actually consider having rivals as a normal thing - like a healthy rivalry. I think I know where you got the idea for the topic from Tone haha. They probably do think the rivalry is a part of being on a footy website with other members supporting the clubs you don't root for.

I actually think the idea for the rival column was lost in translation somehow through the evolution of the site. Unless rivals were meant to be rivals only when they completely hated your guts for supporting a club or team they don't. I'd say Tony is every bit one of the best guys I know on footytube but we are rivals in footballing terms * kicks Tony in the nuts*
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I deserved that, totally worth it though muhaha
Ouch.... !, writhes about in search of a penalty.  Even the stretcher bearer has issued a red card. Not even a controversial decision
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Haha, I have always put out quite an attitude when debating in the forums, so getting a fair share of rude votes is predictable. But getting others like Rich7 to rival me when I've never talked to him before is strange. LOL.

The closest I've come to think as a rival is Tony himself. Haha. I still remember we having some heated arguments in one of the thread earlier on. Hehe. And guess what, I get on very well with him after we were both Moderators. Hmm.... Guess there's no enemies in football. We all love football, thus we are here.
Hahaha, rich7 got you too.... Lol.
Yep juno our swords crossed a few times, but they were respectful heated debates we had, which were constructive, not non sensical and abusive.
If only all comments were like that, the mods job would be a gift
Yup, agree that if everyone else debate like us, without the need to hurl abuse, then there wouldn't be the need of moderating the threads. Of course, that isn't quite possible
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Personally I don't really care about the whole friends/rivals thing. As soon as someone adds me as a friend, Ill accept him or her. And bar one or two, all my rivals are people who I've never spoken to, and often have never posted one thing themselves.
The rude votes are a little silly though: it seems that the most active mods have a ton of them, like Ant said, for the wrong reasons
We can all deal with the rude votes, they mean nothing at the end of the day, but they can make you look a complete ba**ard to new comers who don't know you.
I do hate getting rival requests out of the blue, I can't understand that, its their loss, they are loosing potentially good future friends because they don't agree with the team you support
Totally true. And I give no hack about the traits, because at the end of the day, its the football I'm interested in. Not the rankings or the traits people perceived me to be
You know, with the attitude that I'm dishing out when I'm replying to a debate, its a wonder why I didn't have more rivals than friends.
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The manUK and I were rivals at first. He made me his rival I think, can't really remember, over a year ago now. But now we are very close friends. I don't think I have ever added anyone as a rival, so what if they like Manchester United, at least they like football.

Never denied a friend request never will, the internets can be so ridiculous sometimes haha
Dito dunc
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea I think I added you I don't add rivals now though, and I accept friend requests. Because probably the majority of my friends on this site are pool fans, it would suck if I hated them all
Then convert yourself to 'never walk alone'.... LOL
Haha I don't think he is up for being converted Kaden how are you man? Haven't spoke to you in some time, how's the football. You excited for the WC? I can't wait, I am more excited than I usually would be, because I promised my dad I would stay sober till the World Cup starts. It is a beautiful and extraordinary event when you are sober, but I will be getting all sorts of f****d up haha
Which makes it even better
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lol Yea I'm good. I can't wait for the world cup, it's always the best summer when the World Cup is on. No school it's just awesome. Plus I feel really good about this world cup I think it'll be better than 2006 the whole thing just wasn't very exciting for what a World Cup should be (except for that head butt). Anyways things are going good and No haha I'm not up for a change
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Seems like I'm the only bad-ass out here. I've given rival requests several times.  *puts his head down in shame*
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Um what happened to "Ah good thread Tony.
I rivaled Reid Scott Anderson at first, thinking that he is a meanie(ugh). Now I know what he is and I wish I could remove him off my rival list.... And oddly enough, he is my top friend
We have something in common, we love Italian footy.
Any ways to remove him from the rival list? "
That's something for the admins to sort out ayyam, they are busy at the moment and can't do everything, but they will get round to it I'm sure.
Theres loads of stuff needs done, and they are working their way thorugh them one by one, and the world cup dreamfooty is taking up a lot of their time
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I need to remove my rivals! I was new and wasnt thinking and just made any Man Utd fan I saw a rival sorry!
Exactly ayyam, theres chelsea fans I get on with better than fans of my own team,

Kick4Life - changing lives through football