Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Pukkelpop '11 Disaster
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Yesterday, a storm hit the festival Pukkelpop in Belgium. It is a major gathering for music fans from all over the world, and one I visited often in the past as well. This year though, I couldn't go as I was preoccupied with work. And thank god for that.

Link: t.co/diita2H

As much rain fell in 15 minutes as usually falls in a whole month. A hundred and fifty have been seriously injured, five are already dead. It makes me sad and angry, although I have no one to aim my anger at. You just can't blame anyone for this: the organisation is known to take care of everything with utmost care, but nothing could've prevented this. My thoughts are with the people who suffered there and with my friends who are only now returning home
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
This is tragic - but probably unavoidable. That storm sounds insane. We can't blame the organisers.... If they had given out lifejackets to everyone entering the festival it would have looked crazy.

Tell me though was there nothing on the weather reports?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
No, the weather here has been crazy all summer. They can predict sunny weather, 23°c for the next two days, and it is a hailstorm. After a month of wrong forecasts, they basically stick to 'cloudy with a chance of heavy rains'. Have you seen the videolink I posted? It's similar to footage of a small hurricane: the skies are greenish-black, winds reach very high speeds and it all started in a matter of minutes. I have almost never encountered that in Belgium before. Usually a 'storm' here is some rain, some lightening and that's it.

The forecasters told us on the news that it was an unbelievable tragic coincidence: the whole country was experiencing bad weather, but the strength of the storm varied a lot. Unfortunately, the very worst weather in the country occurred right on the spot Pukkelpop was located on.

Link: www.deredactie.be/cm/1.1090329?view=ajax
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I read about this. Hope no one you know was hurt at this incident.

Did you also read about the same thing happening in the States? It was a music festival as well and the wind just tore down the stage and killed 5 people

Kick4Life - changing lives through football