Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Japan Earthquake
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago

Our thoughts go out to anyone affected by this. I am currently watching the news because we have a Tsunami warning here in New Zealand
Prejsu (KKS Lech Poznan) 3 years ago
Such a tragedy.... I hope that not many lives have been taken by this awful cataclysm. Mother nature's wrath can be frightening. We all are Japanese today! And I hope you too Ant will stay safe...
Rogue4341 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yeah.... We are all japanese today. Hope for the best for hawaii and the american west coast too
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Crazy, just absolutely nuts, i've never seen anything as powerful as that before, awesome footage to watch, mother nature at her worst, but very tragic
Yeah. It reminds me of the videos my dad brought back after katrina. I hope Japan won't have as many casualties
[account-removed] 3 years ago
It reminds me of the earlier Tsunami which came last time.... Omg! I still can't forget that time:S
Man, I really hope the powerplants can be stablized. As it is I would be leaving the country. Chernobyl comes to mind
Cloudst 3 years ago
If it comes to something that horrible it'd be devestating for Japan my prayers go out to the people in Japan hopefully everything turns out ok
Well, I don't want to be the harbinger of bad news, but you know how governments work right? They tell people that there is no real threat when in fact things already are pretty grim, in order to suppress panic and chaos. Tokyo is just 240 km away from the Fukushima power-plant, which after the second explosion and radioactive leak is in critical condition at the moment. The radioactive cloud unfortunately is heading towards the capital city. In itself, it already is very dangerous, but if the rain falls.... Things will get really nasty:/ The people who leave in a 20 km radius from Fukushima and somehow failed to evacuate from the area were told that under no circumstances should they leave their houses, but seal the windows and doors and wait.... Do you get the picture?
Apparently as little as one millionth of a gram of this radioactive material entering your body (drank in water, breathed in etc) is enough to cause a serious cancer. This stuff is already rising up in clouds and explosions and dropping around Japan. This is serious s**t, guys
Yeah.... Soon they will have to give the workers a choice, stay and help or allow a meltdown. I don't know what's going to happen, but it is going to be some scary s**t
How the hell could you rebuild entire towns and villages? , and would you want to build them in the same place again?
Obviously people are gonna' want to move to higher ground to live, incase it ever happened again, but the harbour is still going to have to be rebuilt, they have no other option for shipping etc:, and their airports are low level aswell.
I'm glad its not my problem
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
People will move back eventually. They always do. Death and catastrophes are things that happen to others. Hope and denial eventual triumph.
It is a given that Los Angeles will be hit so hard one day that thousands will die. But I don't see anyone moving away because of this reason.
Just think of all the towns built near volcanos. Like in Italy.
That's typical of us humans
The Japanese will think of something, it's a nation of crafty and very wise people. If they won't win this struggle, who will in a similar situation? They will rebuild their towns, they are capable of such a feat, and they will probably move a bit upslope. I would not be very surprised if they constructed some kind of barriers near the coastline. The thing I am worried about is the potential radioactive threat...
For a very rich country, their government is very slow to give support to people without food, fuel, water, whatever, and the poor people living inside the radioactive exclusion zone have been left to fend for themselves, completely forgotten, no one will go in to bring them relief
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
It seems we don't watch the same news Tony, your story is more like the Katrina in the US. They're doing a decent job. And don't forget that the size of the affected area is huge and that they also have the nuclear plant problem to take care of
I'm watching bbc news, and skynews, and although any task undertaken is great work in difficult conditions, theres people that are alive and living close to the reactors, and they won't even go in to bring them out, the hospitals don't want them, and even the hospital in that area, which is still working, has been let down, and nothing is being done to aid them, because of their location
Well, as brutal as it may sound you can't always help everyone, especially when you deal with a disaster of such a magnitude. From what I see, they are doing the best they can, but it just isn't enough. We have to remember that many areas are virtually inaccessible by land, supplies are scarce, and the level of destruction of the whole infrastructure is simply out of this world, it's easy for us to point out that something hasn't been done, or it has but not properly, but we aren't the ones who are coping with this tragedy. It's logistically a very complex undertaking, and the majority of experts are genuinely impressed with the way the Japanese authorities are handling it. Plus, look at ordinary people. There is no chaos, they are willing to share the little amount of food and water they have, they are aware of the situation and understand it's implications. I'm quite positive that in any other country in the world there would already be gangs of looters, and the citizens would be far from remaining calm...
Fair enough, but that's a more specific problem. Being a rich country has nothing to do with it, people gets scared of stuff like radiation, hiv, etc. leading to those affected being ostricized by the community. But the overall humanitarian mission is going quite well, lots of people were taken care of already, no one is starving or dehydrating. Also, they've started rebuilding roads and other key infrastructure.
But you are right about the people near the reactors, it's sad indeed
Alen (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Very sad what is happening over there, thoughts and prayers go out to all of them
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Mostly it's all we can do.    Btw it's good to see your still around Alen
Alen (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Yeah just got back to kind of posting a little glad to see some people still around
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
This guy came out in the end of the Bayern-Inter match and people found it very touching.

By the way, this is Inter Milan's Japanese defender Yuto Nagatomo
I was really moved by that sight myself
YNWA
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
YNWA
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It's really hard to realize the gravity of that kind of situation watching it on a screen. All the same my thoughts and prayers are with all of the Japanese people. A natural disaster like that is bad enough, but add the nuclear radiation factor, it is tragic. I really hope that not many lives have been taken and that many can be helped and continue on
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
4 days after Eathquake in Japan    
   Welldone
That's amazing
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Wow that's quick rebuilding, they will have this cleaned up in no time!
Very efficient people, if any nation can overcome difficulty, its japan
It would take months if not years in my home country to recover from that kind of catastrophe. Well done indeed
Video: amazing this little dog was found alive at sea after three weeks.

Link: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12944317...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football