Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
I Sprained My Ankle (with Pics)
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
My Monday night indoor football was spoiled by an injury deep into extra time.... I sprained my ankle after some really nice guy stepped on it (***hole!), here are some pics of the swelling.

* I would appreciate some advice from those who have been through this. I've had this happen countless times before, but never this swollen, especially considering I took the pics with my low-quality phone camera after a couple hours of icing it.

Nikki711 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Oh honey that's one of the worse ones i've seen. There is not much you can do except keep it elevated and ice it. It will go down within a week but I suggest even some simple low impact physical therapy before you play again. You wouldnt want it to get worse. Good luck!
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Ben where's the pictures of the sprain? Isn't this just your normal hideously deformed foot?
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Lol
No lee, that unnatural bulge is the sprain, which is threatening to ruin my foot modeling career.

At least, unlike you, my feet are not growing roots due to eons of inactivity....
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Oh that just hurts.... It's taken me 6 months to get my toenails to this length
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I really hope you're both kidding
Blaak (Manchester United) 5 years ago
That's really nasty
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Ouch i've had this done to me also. It took a long time for it to get back to 100%. That's a high ankle sprain too. Tough one good luck with recovery but I doubt you'll be playing antime soon
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Look up "R. I. [C.] E. " on Google. It's a medical acronym for injuries. I remember that the "i" is ice and the "e" is elevation. Hopefully that should help.
Thanks Darius, was thinking more what drug should do the trick? Heroin? Morphine?
Yeah and you won't be playing football after you star that, you'll be playing the "ravaging the streets for drug money" game lol
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Ketamine--Some good old horse tranquilizers usually does the trick for me
lol I try to stick with the methamphetamine jk
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
This may not be the right time but have you ever considered modeling your legs for a profession ;P
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
LOL good idea wrong time
Haha
Disabled modeling? (no offense to disabled people)
None taken
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Lol
I was referring to ronaldo7
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Hahahahahahahahahaha.... Its funny cause its true
Haha
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I tore ligaments like 6 months ago. I was so angry I couldn't play football for like a month.

My advise would be to get some ankle strenthening exercises of the net or from a physio and start doing them to make sure you don't hurt it again
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
Holy moly that's after icing it !?! I think the only course of action is full amputation, you've got another one after all
Lol Yeah go robotic like Robo Cop you'll have an advantage!
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
I fractured my leg and couldn't play for half a year, and couldn't walk for 4 to 5 months. You must check if you have serious injury inside, I also have this swelling thing which is even bigger than yours. Then I went to the doctor and check, and the doctor say I have fractured my leg. And I couldn't go school for a few months
Wow a few months! What did you do all day? Get on footytube lol
Ouch man, that sounds nasty. Never had a fracture, I hope this isn't one, because it seems to be healing okay (I can step on it today for instance) - Did you recover 100%?

Darius, going on footytube sounds like a great idea at first, but eventually it will make you want to go play outside, which in turn will depress you because you know you can't.... It's a torturous cycle
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Icing Advice: Fill a freezer baggy with corn syrup. Put that bag in another, 'casue if it spills it ruins your freezer forever. Put it in your freezer. It's mendable, yet as cold as ice, and takes forever to "melt"
Good one in case you run out of Gel packs, I got the kind that you can freeze as well as heat in the microwave if you wish to do some heat therapy.... Great tip though
Wow I've never heard of that one before. Great advice. Seriously, it's cheap and durable. You've enlightened my day lol
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
* Protect your injury from further harm.
* Rest the injury initially, then re-introduce movement so you don't lose too much muscle strength.
* Ice packs or a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel should be applied to your ankle to reduce swelling and bruising. You could also immerse your ankle in ice. You should not apply ice directly to your skin as it can give you an "ice burn" - place a cloth between the ice and skin.
* Compress your ankle by bandaging it to support the injury and help decrease swelling.
* Elevate your ankle by resting your foot above the level of your heart and keep it supported.

Further treatment will vary according to how badly you have sprained your ankle.

The swelling and discomfort should begin to subside after a few days. At this point, you should begin to move your ankle.compression bandages should normally be taken off after two days because they limit movement. Instead you can use a support or taping that doesn't restrict movement too much.

Initial exercises can include rotating the foot and moving it up and down. Take care not to cause more pain while you are moving your foot. Try to increase the range of movement each day
I guess you are fine now
Not really, I can't apply too much pressure on it. I use my computer chair like a wheel chair to move around. (don't laugh!)

And thanks, some awesome advise there ragarsha
Not a problem.  Take care
Phearos (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Use ice packs if there is pain. Do massage your leg. After two days or so if swelling reduces massage your leg in hot water. Hot water frees the stressed muscle and ice numbs the area. Still if there is no change something wrong with bone but its not a dislocation that's what my physcio told
Man I guess he is fit now
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Damn, that's worse than my break I had whilst playing indoor. sorry to see that man
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I see no injury. I just see ankles like Popeye's wrists. This can only be a good thing.    Was it full of meat or was it full of juice?
May be full of spinach

Kick4Life - changing lives through football