Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Good TV Shows?
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Since my favorite TV show currently has stopped airing till next season, which is Dexter. I have nothing to watch. So I want you footytube members to suggest me some good TV shows that I can watch till Dexter starts up again in the Fall. I really enjoy crime shows like CSI, Law and Order, 24, and The Wire. I also sometimes enjoy watching comedy shows such as Futurama and Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Also don't suggest me any anime shows, I hate them.

So go go go footytube, start suggesting me TV shows!
Vlad (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I just started watching The Wire after Lee recommended it, liking it so far.

"Life" (zen cop show) was pretty entertaining. "Fringe" may start off looking like poor man's X-Files, but the story developed quite nicely. If you're into war movies and such, Band of Brothers and Generation Kill (both miniseries) are great. For the absolute best ever comedy series, try Curb your enthusiasm. There's about 6 seasons with another due this fall, but it only took me about a week to go through them last year
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Ummm.... Sponge BOB square pants! (its a classic!)
Tichi95 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Nop, simpsons is better
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Thanks Vlad for the recommendations. But I've seen an episode or two of Life and I didn't think it was all that great, maybe I could try watching it again. I also have seen Fringe a few times and I think it is a good show, but I'm not really into scifi shows a whole lot. I have seen Band of Brothers, and I'll have to check out Generation Kill.

Also Cristiano9rocks, I already love Sponge Bob
Ltm017 5 years ago
I love Fringe! LOST is good too. You can watch all seasons on ABC. Heroes is a good tv show too.

I like Bones as well.

Well first off.... What kind of shows do you prefer?

I have had lots of recommendations for "The Office" -its a comedy
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I'm a fan of Lost, Fringe, Dexter, Curb your Enthusiasm (have all the DVDs) so this thread pretty much descibes my favourite TV shows. I think we've been spoiled recently. In the last five years, television has improved so much that some shows are just incredible week after week.

One season of Lost left! Well done to anyone who (like me) has stuck with it. It's been worth it
Ltm017 5 years ago
Very much worth it!
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Hmmm, check out True Blood (2nd season just started). Tis' awesome and has Anna Paquin in it (the GF in Buffalo Soldiers). Dark humour and very clever / interesting storyline. And as a bonus, the female cast members regularly show their nips.

Also check out Deadwood. Wild west thing, but again, very funny and clever. Plus it has Ian McShane playing the lead role of a foul mouthed brothel owning, whisky swigging cowboy. McShane, the older/british people here will remember used to play the antique loving, womanising toff, Lovejoy.

Caprica (spin-off prequel to BSG), was pretty good, and stars Eric Stoltz. There was an extended pilot special out a few months back and will get picked up proper next year I think.

Torchwood - Children of Earth just aired in the UK, which was a 5 part special (doctor who spin-off series). The actual torchwood TV show was a bit s**t imo, but the special was very good.

Absolute best thing I've seen over the last few years though (except for the Wire), was Joss Whedon's Firefly. It only lasted 1 season, mostly cause fox screwed with the running order / air times and people got confused, which is a godamn tragedy. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend it. Awesomely rich, clever characters and some proper laugh out loud moments. You might remember the film Serenity, which won film of the year at the time in the UK. Serenity was Whedon's attempt to finish the firefly storyline. If you haven't seen either, watch Firefly then the film (but make sure you watch the series in the order that was originally intended and not the insane order that Fox went with).

Oh comedy wise Arrested Development is damn funny if you can be bothered to get into it (I spent ages avoiding it, as the pilot was crap, but it is very funny once you get to know the characters).

If you want to watch some proper funny humour though, check out these classic UK shows (if you haven't already):
PeepShow (David Mitchell / Robert Webb).
SPACED (Simon Pegg).
The IT Crowd
Nathan Barley
The Inbetweeners
Saxondale (Steve Coogan)
Lead Balloon (Jack Dee - a UK Curb your enthusiasm rip-off, but very funny)
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
I can't believe a thread on TV shows exists without Lee telling everyone how awesome 'The Wire' is.

He is not alone in that either but I would say before you watch it watch every other cop show first cause apparently after the Wire they all seem second rate.

For funny get: Flight of the Conchords, Peep Show, IT Crowd, The Inbetweeners, all the Alan Partridge shows, The Day Today, Brass Eye, the UK version of The Office and of course Spaced.

Sci fi: new Battlestar Galactica, Firefly (Serenity film version).

Apart from the usual Lost etc. Can't think of a good drama, True Blood is good but deffo 18+
Vlad (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Awesome timing!
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case, is football......

Thankyou and goodnight
Jimmybreeze (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
And another!
Alieg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Family Guy  The Inbetweeners  Peep Show  And that's all I can think off upto now
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
When I'm young, I watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
A little older, X files comes in.
A couple of years ago it was Supernatural.

In between its all the supernatural theme kinda shows. Haha.

LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Chuck, Modern Family, Office, Avatar The Last Airbender, The Simpsons, and Supernatural ftw!
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Entourage.    
Nikolapfc89 (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Simpsons !  South Park,  Only fools and horses,  Top gear....
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Reality Tv.... Haha.... You like to watch the dark side of human being...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football