Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Footytube Changes Its Name To Soccertube
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago

What does footy mean? To some of us it evokes images of, well, football. But what does football mean? For some of us it evokes images of, well, football, but for others, the word football evokes images of men wearing copious amounts of shoulder padding and protective clothing, whilst kicking throwing an egg shaped ball around and stopping every 5 minutes for a group hug.

Shoulder Pads

For the last four years footytube has had 1000's of emails from confused Americans searching for 'football videos' expecting to find a site with egg-hand-ball videos - only to be sorely dissapotined by a variety of strange clips of scantily clothed men kicking a round ball shaped object around with their feet.

Imagine the average American's dismay to witness watching this 'action', sometimes to see a full 90 minutes pass before them with a zero-zero scoreline where apparently nothing happened in either end zone.

"What is wrong with their hands?" they will proclaim "Are these people disabled?"

Frankly, we're sick of the emails, and it's about time the rest of the world just admitted defeat and accepted the fact that Americans are more powerful than us.

And it was with this thought in mind that we have decided to begin the footytube rebranding process. From now on footytube will be known as soccertube, just to make the distinction clear to our American friends. Although this was a tough decision to make (and indeed, a lot of footytube staff were against the rebranding), overall, we think it's a positive step toward bringing a more unified global brand voice to the world of soccer.
Beardie (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Soccertube?! If the ONLY reason you are doing this is to placate Americans good luck with that!
Nkarli7 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'm hoping its all about footytube
Shuds (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Ahhh Darn.... I liked the name footytube way way way way better than soccertube
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
You made the right decision Lee. Maybe now you can get that bonus from Mr. Malcolm Glazer you've wanted for so long
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I know you don't like swearing in these forums but people who don't want to hear this can turn off the sensor thing or something....

F*** this!
And I say send the yanks home to their eggs (lol).... Starting with those Glazers!
This makes me angry!
Ralphgrant (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
There is no way. Please...
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
This is going to cause aggravation but I think we can attract some great American investors with this change, which can only be a good thing
Same old footysoccertube users - we make one change and it's the end of the world. I remember we had the same backlash when we changed from ST1 to ST2. Ah well, I can only hope you guys will get used to calling it soccer
Playa3c (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The real Football has existed decades before this fakeass wannabe football in this country I lvie in and now it's changed because of some idiots.... Bullsh!T. I don't mind changing it I'm just disappointed on the reason why it was changed. Like Ralph said, There is no way. This is April Fool's. Please.... "
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I have to say I am disappointed. Is the URL going to change? Well theres not much in the name but seriously soccertube? How about we put soccer in brackets for the americans
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
To avoid confusion, could everyone please refer to it as Soccer from now on? I'm sick of seeing 'footy' everywhere
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Footy footy footy! I refuse to call it "soccer" this has to be a joke because why would you tell us to call it soccer. Don't we have the righ to call it whatever we want to?
Guys right now, we need to think about globalisation more than ever, especially with the world cup coming up. Now more than ever we need to think about rebranding football and taking it to the most important part of the world (america). Using our crass colloquialisms like 'footy' just doesn't cut it any more and it's time we all faced up to that. A lot of our traffic comes from America and it's time we made it clear to them just what soccertube is all about.

Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Just a thought lee, but what about fifatube? , that would include everyone?
Deutschbag (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is a really bad idea
ArsenalForever8 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is retarded. If Americans copy our name of football! Then that is their fault! They should call it Handball! I am American but that's one thing that pisses me off! Just ignore the emails!
Jakmann (Arsenal) 4 years ago
You've got to be kidding me. I am American, have played and called the game "soccer" my whole life, and think that this is a terrible idea. "Footy" is a word that everyone in the footballing community knows and understands. It's a actually a cool urban reference to the beautiful game. Changing the name to soccertube in order to please ignorant and confused Americans is pathetic on your part at footytube. I expect to visit the site april 2nd and see that this was all just a lame april fool's day joke. Good job at getting a rouse out of people. If this is serious, then it's a serious problem. I LOVE this website and the game. To implement a name change such as this is disrespectful to the game and to all it's true fans. If footytube is really "THE football community", then there is no way a change like this should be allowed to happen. 1, 000 emails complaining about no american football videos? Wait 'til you get 100, 000 complaints about this travesty. Please.... Globalization and america being the center of the world?! That's absurd. If that's the case you here at footytube are a bunch of sellouts.... I feel sorry for you. Absolutely pathetic. I'm sure this is an april fools day trick and it's actually pretty funny because it will fire up a lot of people
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I totally agree with you! I'm american too and this is just ridiculous. I hope this is just an april fools thing...
Jakmann (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It has also been officially decided no one is allowed to use the word "bol!Ocks" anymore, anywhere. From now on, one can only express anger or love for something using American slang or literal translations such as "testicles", "garbage" (rubbish is just too brit-english), or "the sh*t"
J4M35J34L0U5Y (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is completely unacceptable, Why change it just because Americans call their sport something that doesn't include their feet? ? Football is the worlds sport, America needs to call their "Football" to American Rugby
Megared (Liverpool) 4 years ago
American have no right to take away the name of this world famous sport!  They use it on their boring sport(rugby). Urggg
Thorshammerr (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'm American.... And this is some bullShi***. I understand why you would do it.... But I play and all of my friends call it football while the majority of americans don't. Don't hate us, we still love the game

Kick4Life - changing lives through football