Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Pubs
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Hi all,

Ok, so many of you may know that I live in Canada. Now, my parents are going to be going on vacation in Europe, because they have never been there, and want to see their heritage. On May 23rd, they will be leaving for Frankfurt. This means that they will be in Germany come May 28th (I think we all know what is happening on that day ). Unfortunately, I don't have the money to go with them, however, they have asked me to find for them a pub to watch a soccer game in. They want to get the full experience of watching a great match live in Europe. So, I decided to come to all of you, wondering if any of you know of any great pubs in which my parents can enjoy such an experience (hopefully shalke makes it to the final, because they will be in Shalke come May 28th, and this will of course make for the best atmosphere). Anyways, please, just make some posts on here, and hopefully you guys can help me out with this. Really, if you know of any pub in Germany, or any of Eastern Europe really, please post it's name/city. Thank you all sooo much
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
"Really, if you know of any pub in Germany, or any of Eastern Europe really"

That sounded a bit random, did you mean Western Europe by any chance? Anyway, don't know any pubs in Germany, but I recommend Pickwick's in Geneva and Fiddler in The Hague.

Pickwick's is a great football/sports bar close to the Cornavin (central train station), you can watch any game there and expect a good atmosphere since Geneva is such an international city. I went there a couple of times during Champions League some years ago, and they would show all matches on projector screens, all in separate rooms, each filled with loads of fans, making lots of noise. On top of that, you can get some amazing burgers in that place, the only down side is that they ain't really cheap, as is the case with Geneva in general.

The Fiddler is not a sports bar per se, but their whole top floor turns into football madness when it's Champion League nights or Eredivise derbies. Good beer and food, too
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Thanks mark. About the whole eastern vs. Western europe thing, when I look on a map, Eastern Europe includes germany, czechoslovakia, croatia, austria, etc. since they are all east . So I refuse to give in to the whole western europe term.

Anyways, my parents are landing in Frankfurt, and going across to prague I believe. So really, anything in and around there that people know of would be great, but really, any suggestions at all would be great
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Haha well Germany is in the West any way you look at it, all the other countries you named are Central European more than anything.

Anyways, I'm sure they won't have a huge problem finding a sports bar, places like Frankfurt or Prague are usually full of those
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the East and Western Europe coined because of the Iron Curtain? That is the East is that which was under Soviet rule while the West was under Allied rule
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
Yeh, that's right, but today it's a very loose term, especially with the expansion of the EU.

Geographically speaking, Germany, Netherlands, England, etc. Would be Western Europe and Russian, Ukraine, etc. Would be Eastern Europe. The countries in between are considered Central European and the the Balkan countries are South Eastern Europe. Spain, Italy, Portugal is the South.

However, culturally, Slavic nations (plus Romania and Hungary) are still sometimes known as the East.

In any case, Germany has nothing to do with the ''East", since there is no iron curtain anymore (and Eastern Germany). Also, there was never such a thing as "Allied Rule"

Kick4Life - changing lives through football