Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Manager 2011
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
I see FIFA 11 has a thread dedicated to it so I may as well start one for the upcoming installment of Football Manager 2011.

It's being released on 5th November here in the UK and if you have a soft spot for the game, you can get a free FM2011 USB mouse if you are in the UK and pre-order from play.Com

This time round, the dev team have added a couple of new features, most notably dynamic league reputations, so if you guide Rangers to Champions League glory *cough*, the quality of the SPL will actually increase and the league reputation will improve. I think this is long overdue but I'm glad they are confident enough with the feature to release it in this year's edition.

As far as football management sims go, FM is vastly superior to CM or FIFA, I have played all 3 and the gulf in the quality of gameplay is remarkable. Since the cm/fm split, Championship Manager has been gradually getting worse while Football Manager has stuck with a winning formula which provides hours and hours (days/months) of engaging gameplay.

If you've never played Football Manager or it's predecessors under the CM name then I seriously suggest you give it a go, it is worth the initial effort to get to grips with the interface/features as it gives you a real insight into the tactical side of the game to say the least.

Anyone looking forward to it as much as I am?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I've never played one, what is the game like during the match
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
But I'd buy it for the usb mouse, its freakin epic
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
I like management games but FIFA manager is my favorite check it out don't get confused with FIFA 11 though
Azeal (Liverpool) 4 years ago
That's like the flattest mouse ever?
Charliehenry (Verified Legend) 4 years ago
This FM I hope is better than last years. I love football manager I always struggle in the bigger games or maybe that's Arsenal lol
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Can't wait till this comes out
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Why is this thread dead? Come on guys, the game has been out for months now and it's great (as always)!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I have always played FIFA, but I use only PC and have no intention of buying any Playstation or XBox, I am a bit too old for those, probably.
The last FIFA that made sense for me was fifa07, the rest suck in PC and probably are meant to be played with a stick and the other video game gadgets.

What is your experience with FIFA Manager? Do you only set up tactics and than just sit and watch the game? How does it work?
Nevermind, I think I will download a trial version
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Highfives for being a pure PC gamer like me
Marcinny, I don't really get what you mean, I think you're mistaking it for FIFA manager. Football Manager series are the best football management games and they are for PC. The newest one, 2011, is the most in-depth so far, to a redicilous level. I love it, but that might put some people off (especially the inexperienced managers). The alternative is the game you mentioned, FIFA manager, which is basically for retards and not a really management game.

Anyways, if anyone has questions, I can tell you pretty much anything since I've been playing FM for 10 years or so
And to answer your question, yes, you pretty much assume a football manager's role, meaning you are responsible for transfers, tactics, training, handling media, etc. You don't actually control the players during matches. Instead, you get a 3-D view of the match (there is also a 2-D bird's view option, or just comments describing events) and several options for influencing the match, such as touchline shouts or opposition players handling instructions.

Let me also just mention that the game's database is really impressive, with huge amount of players (pretty much every football player is in the game), who all have realistic attributes (split into 10 technical, 10 mental and 10 physical attributes, plus the hidden ones like professionalism, etc.). There are lots of playable leagues all over the world, all with proper settings, rules, etc.

All in all, every true footie lover owes it to himself to at least check it out!
Good to know I am not alone out there Pragathish.

Thanks Markodon. Yes, you are right, I mistook it for FIFA Manager.
I think I will give it a try
Hum, I don't see it available in US. Is that possible? I don't live in England.    Edit: I found Football Manager 10 though.
Of course it's available in the US. Nah, get 2011. Don't know how you feel about it, but there are, ahem, certain other ways of obtaining this game (especially if you want to try it out first before buying).

But yeh, it's definitely available in the US!
Lol. Yeah, I'd rather try it first
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
You can buy it through steam if I am correct.

Steam usually has everything. There is a demo available though. I'd download that and give it a go before committing to buying it.
You're demo saves will carry over into the full version so don't have to worry about that.

I don't know if your the kind but torrents are readily available
Yep, that's what I was hinting at (torrents)
Cloudst 3 years ago
So guys how's your respective seasons coming along for fm 2011? And what teams are you playing with?  
I actually just recently started my first save on 2011, with Dortmund. Thought it would be exciting to play with them since they're kicking so much ass this season. To be honest, I think some of the players should have better attributes, e.G. Kagawa, but I was willing to disregard that and just try to get the best of out this young team.

Well, it's been going surprisingly good so far, kinda like in real life: I'm currently half a season into it (17 games) and I'm 1st with 12 points in front of the 2nd! Bayern, HSV, Leverkusen and the others were all killing each other while we surprised everyone and managed to beat them quite easily, including Bayern away. The only loss so far came from Leverkusen (2-1) and we also drew 2 matches. Best players are two talented giants in the defence, Subotic and Hummels, the playmaker Nuri Sahin and then also Kevin Grosskreutz and Lucas Barrios. But all the others contributed a lot as well, really talented and young team overall, I sense a long journey with these boys. The only problem will be keeping them at the club since the top clubs are already seriously interested in half of them.
In Europa League, I finished 2nd in the group stage, behind Sporting Lisabon, and now I'm facing a pretty tough challenge vs. Villareal in the Knock out stage.

Some screenies (right click on the pic and then View picture):

We could make this thread really interesting if we post our stories, backed with screenshots of our formations and achievements
Cloudst 3 years ago
Did you get the new patch (3. 0) it has all the new transfers and attribute updates I'll post my save game too
Yes, I got the new patch

Kick4Life - changing lives through football