Forums / Off Topic Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Favorite Book Or Novel?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Mine would have to be Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut or Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, that one is pretty old school. Lot of great ones though, I would just like to see if anyone on the internet is even interested in reading anymore haha
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I only normally read magazines, and I'm not overly interested in books. I don't read a lot at all, to be honest, because in my spare time I'm always doing something to do with football!
Well that's good, you could read a book about football, I am sure there are plenty of good ones out there
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I've read The Kick Off and I think a bit of Shoot to Win, two books about a ginger 14 year old winger by Dan Freedman, they're the only ones I could think of. PS I read footy magazines only\! There's also Goal 1, 2 and 3 (this is books though, not films), unfortunately I haven't seen any of those
Ya those movies are actually quite good, though I have never seen the third one. My favorite movie about football, is Zidane a 21st century portrait. Fantastic film, it is just Zidane playing a full match for Real Madrid against Villareal with many different cameras following him, sort of tedious at times but a great film if you are into football
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
What did you like about Frankenstein? I read it, meh...
Well for one it basically created a genre that wasn't there before, or at least not in the mainstream or in that length or detail and opened up a lot of opportunities for writers that before may have been written off as weird or unethical. Also I think the whole idea of the book is completely fascinating, an idea that is well ahead of it's time but is slowly being realized by modern scientists. Another reason is the way she writes, not many people were writing about nature or mountains at this time and I find it incredible the way she describes these things in such "sublime" ways, she uses that word a lot if you didn't catch that. The way she describes Victor's childhood and all the discoveries he makes and this world of knowledge he discovers holds very true to the pursuit of some sort of higher learning I think we all wish we could pursue, something completely true to nature, yet somehow at the same time almost other worldly. So there are a lot of things I like about this book, and many others I didn't list, I just think her mind is fascinating, I know I couldn't create a story like that. The fact that she is a women is very endearing as well, she must have had a lot of courage after losing her husband to write a book like this, it just shows that she had no fear and didn't really care what society thought of her writing, which is what is all about really
You know what? You're absolutely right! I read it so long ago, the old prejudice of " oh its just a monster story" came back. I had completely forgotten that the real monster was victor. It did create a new genre, also, what was I thinking?

I remember in the discussion we had about the book, my teacher, and everyone in my class, absolutely hated victor; for his ignorant selfishness. But the entire time I thought that the real reason people hated Victor was that he was stronger than them. The way I saw it, Victor gave up everything to create life, to know what god knows, essentially. Everything. He had the kind of ambition that people detested, because they knew that they couldn't do what he did. He didn't care about anything except himself, sacrificed everything, and discovered how to create life. That is the kind of ambition that changes the world
Ya the relationship between the monster and Victor is very, very complicated and is very hard for kids to understand(I still don't understand many of the finer points to this day). I think the relationship she created between the two of them is very deep, it is easy to love Victor at one point and hate the monster, then love the monster and hate Victor at different points in the book, so it is very complex. There are so many strong messages in the book about nature and science, love and hate that are not easy to understand, so I think some people read it when they are young and don't understand the underlying meanings that are all over the text. Certainly when I read it in middle school so many things went right over my head that when I read it in college, it was almost like I had never read it. It is interesting what you wrote about his kind of ambition being the kind of ambition that people detest and could change the world, because I think this is true. At the same time I think Victor many times hated himself for his own ambitions, and he had this inner struggle again between what is natural, and what is not and the things we do to try and overcome nature. Obviously it is impossible to beat nature and his whole life was ruined as a result and in the end he could only blame himself. It is a very very deep book and there are still many things I could learn from it, it also an entertaining book to read, in my opinion, which never hurts
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'm a huge lord of the rings fan. I could spend my literary life reading and re-reading the volumes of middle earth. ATM I just finished the temeraire series. Something of a harry-potter, except its dragons and takes place during the napoleonic era. They were okay. Read alot of history, esspecially canadian history. The invasion of canada by pierre berton is another one of my favourites. And that's about it
Oh my god the Lord of the Rings, I could live in that universe, you hit it on the nose saying you could spend your whole life reading those books I could do the same. Fantastic writing, I usually ask people, what do you prefer the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings, most people say the Hobbit, that it is easier to read, it's just one story bang bang it's over and done and you can put it down. I love the Lord of the Rings so much more, it is so much more in depth, I mean he created an entire language, Gandalf, Galadriel come on, how can people say it is hard to read. I could literally spend years getting into those books, re reading them over and over, there are just so many things I feel like I've missed in those books and I've read the whole series twice. So Riggs great work dropping that one, and cheers
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Most recent book I read was Homage to Catalonia which was really something, it's probably my favourite book right now.

As far as football books go, I would highly reccommend 'Inverting the Pyramid, " a fantastically detailed yet readable book on the evolution of football tactics. Would instantly bore any non-football fan though, reserved for the fanatics (which we have an abundance of @ footytube )
I googled Homage to Catalonia. By Orwell, huh? It looked cool. I'm going to pick it up.

Inverting the pyramid looked interesting as well...
Hum, never heard of that one Andy, I will have to look into it. If it's by Orwell it must be superb I always said 1984 was my favorite book for the longest time. Have you noticed that newspeak has very much become true, with text messaging and the internet. I was watching the Suns (Phoenix, Arizona basketball Suns) game last night and at half time there is this thing on the tv that sais "R you Orng" and I tell my dad, look pop it's upon us, newspeak, Orwell was right. They couldn't just spell Orange out in its entirety? Two extra letters! Oh how I fear for our future haha. I will have to look into that Andy thanks, inventing the pyramids looks fantastic as well, you know we are all fanatics here
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Twilight.... I love edward *sigh*ahhhhhhhhh

Jokes, FK I HATE women AND there twilight.

But yea I enjoyed the tomorrow series. Like Tomorrow, When The War Began. Lord of the rings of interesting, dno if I would read the series again though
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
You hate women? That's just crule
Ltm017 4 years ago
That's what I'm wondering!
I am sure there are probably some men that like twilight too, you don't have to discriminate haha

By the way you should read Lord of the Rings again, it is worth it
Again? I already read them
I plan on reading them again, and I've read the series twice haha, I guess I am kind of a fanatic though
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Badly worded. I dislike women who are obsess with twilight
Adamaus, Haha Actually so do I, I don't like to obsess over anything but footy. So some twlight people annoy me

Rari, Yea I'll probably read them again at some point, but I'm not a fanatic like you
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I could understand if Twilight was written well. But it isn't! I don't get it. Maybe I'm not the genius I think I am when it comes to great writing.... Hmmm...
Goonergal (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Twilight is one of the worst books I have ever read. It reads like a decent story on a fanfiction site when it should read like an actual novel, and Bella is the biggest Mary Sue. Hate Twilight
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 4 years ago
A book I read a while ago, and really had that 'life changing' effect on me was 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. A MUST READ
Many people have recommended that book to me, I hear it is really good. Maybe I will pick it up soon, I am very spontaneous when it comes to what book I am reading though, right now it is 'Chariots of the Gods' by Erich von Daniken fantastic book, asks many questions of contemporary history and religion
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
That is one of my favorite books
The Alchemist or Chariots of the Gods?
Goonergal (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I second the recommendation! It is definitely a life changer. Paulo Coelho is such a wonderful writer, I recommend all of his books
I think my favorite book right now is either A farewell to arms (Hemingway) or Zen and the Art of motorcycle maintenance (pirsig). I don't really feel like going into them right now though.

The book I'm currently reading, though, is Catch-22. I'm around pg 145ish and so far its pretty good. The humor in the book is perfect. Heller really get his point across that the military (maybe the world?) is completely illogical
Jamesearlgreen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Those are both amazing books.... Good choice!
I've never read any Hemingway but I am sure it's great, almost all books are great haha. My brother loved Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I think it helped him through some hard times, but I've never read it. In the future I will it looks like a great book, he actually gave it to me, but I don't know what I did with it.

Nor have I ever read Catch-22, it's amazing for all the books I've read, there are exponentially more out there that I haven't read or never even heard of But from what people have told me about it and what you say about the humor amongst all the death of world war II, it reminds me of "SlaughterHouse Five" another great one by Vonnegut, though I prefer Cat's Cradle, it is up there. It's hard to say what it is about, except some of it is based on the very real and horrific massacre in Dresden, all very sad yet Vonnegut makes you laugh out loud.... Busy, busy, busy
You've never read Hemingway? What you need to do is get up right now and head to your nearest book store, to pick up a farewell to arms. The imagery that the book evokes alone is a great reason to read it; try to remember the most heart wrenching scene you have ever seen in a movie and the imagery you feel from this book is 10 times better, because it came from you. The passion Hemingway writes is incomparable.

Zamm is a completely different beast, though. I read it last year, as I was going trough some problems too, and philosophy in general has now become a sort of personal project for me. (currently studying the philosophies of the eastern hemisphere) it was a difficult read for me, as it was my first time reading philosophy, and there were some pages where, no matter how many times I reread it, I couldn't get it, but it was 100% worth it. You should find it, and read it in your life time.

I actually chose catch-22 over SH5, so maybe ill pick that up too. A bit funny, no?
Haha ya that is really funny, funnier than you and I probably know haha. I just got my mom's library card so I'll go over there and pick up that Hemingway book once I am done with Chariots of the Gods, thanks for the suggestions, peace
Ltm017 4 years ago
Whitney, My Love nothing else can be said!
RoxiiUtd (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain
Never heard of it, sounds good, but that is the beauty of these things isn't it, everybody has their own opinion so you learn from them. I will look into that book, thanks
Jamesearlgreen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Anything written by Mario Puzo.... I love mafia novels...
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
The Catcher in the Rye was very, very good. I don't know if manga counts, but Death Note was [and still is] brilliant
You know I've still never read Catcher in the Rye, although every one tells me it is great, I mean the government tried to ban it from being read in public schools so it has to be good. I tried to borrow it from my friend once, but he never let me borrow it. I've never heard of Death Note, but Onetwos likes it also, what kind of book is it?
I bought a catcher in the rye like 2 weeks ago, and its just sitting on my bookshelf now. Ill get around to it, someday...
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Death Note is amazing story, most people get hooked after episode 2 (I know your talking about the manga, but I stopped being a book fan after the 2nd grade unfortunatley )
Onetwos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Death Note is awesome.

For novel.... Most recently I have to say Life of Pi, and Oryx and Crake.
Right now I'm reading Death With Interruptions
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo's nest.

The epigraph in one flew over the cuckoo's nest is completely rattling my brain right now. I need to get this book. Has anyone read it? I keep saying it over and over and over again in my physics class...
Yep that one is a classic, great writing. It is a crazy concept, take acid in a psychiatric ward and write about it, but the result is quite unique and very inspiring for anyone who appreciates good writing. It is a story about triumphing over abused authority, there are so many good characters as well, my favorite is Billy Bibbit.... Well I won't give anything else away, especially about Billy
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Manga counts?
Liverpoolsam7 (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Well, remembering I'm only seven, I like the ones by Jeremy Stong. I bet you've never heard of him before but he's a really good author. They crack me up, they do. My bro Manukid likes them too and he's got a real good sense of humour so he loves them
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Like Liverpoolsam7 said, I love the Jeremy Strong ones and they're really funny. They all have really hilarious names like 'My brother's famous bottom' and 'Killer Tomatoes ate my Gran!'. If you do read one, when you do, halfway you'll be laughing your socks off and you won't be able to stop laughing. (Sorry if that's a bit too much description but I just wanted you to know about them and how good they are)

Kick4Life - changing lives through football