Forums / New to footytube? Introduce Yourself
Order: Newest / Oldest
Meet The Regulars!
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Here's a topic where the non-staff, long time users (>6 months) can write a bit about yourself. It's just a way to get to know each other a little better.

Tell us your story, your motivation, what got you into football, how you found footytube, anything else!

Topic suggested by Netnerd
3 years ago
Ok, well I never actually wanted to be the first person to write on this one, but seeing as I'm the one that suggested it in the first place and noone else has stepped up to the plate, I suppose I had better get the ball rolling.

I first discovered footytube when a friend/colleague of mine was working alongside footytube, producing podcasts for the 2010 World Cup and I was invited along to contribute, bringing a betting angle to the matches.

For a football fan, my job is probably the greatest job in the world. I truly love going to work each day, and I cannot remember the last time I woke up and thought "FFS I've got to go to work".

On a quiet day at work, I will be required to watch 2 games of football. On a busy day, 8 or 9. Sometimes, I have to watch 2, 3 or even 4 at the same time! All the time, I am offering odds on the outcome of the matches, so that people can bet on the results.

I don't really need to talk about my club that much. I was born in Leeds, so Leeds are my club. I'm not old enough to have experienced our really great times, but I was there when we won the Championship, and when we made the Champions League Semis, right through to scrapping for 3 points on a cold Tuesday night game in League One away to Carlisle.

I have worked all over the world, the two places that stick in my mind are Spain and Jamaica.

Spain, because that's where I met my wife. We have 3 children together, and I couldn't be happier. Not sure about her, though....She is a definite football widow! Having said that, she understands my work, and often accompanies me to games (Ireland v Argentina was a particular favourite of hers, as she is Argentinian).

Jamaica, as that is where I had a massive stroke.

Yes, you read that right, a stroke.

I used to take a lot of recreational drugs, and at the age of 28, in Montego Bay, Jamaica, I collapsed, after taking a couple of E's

After regaining consciousness, the doctor told me to ring my mum to say goodbye, as I would probably never see her again.

But here I am to tell the tale. Don't fuck with drugs, I say to the younger members!

Onto happier stories....

I once won 330,000 pounds from betting on a fixed football match. I couldn't tell you who it was, or I would probably get thrown in jail, seeing as I bought the result for 10,000 Euros!

I also once won 140,000 pounds betting on a fixed horse race. The jockey has since been banned, but the punters got to keep their winnings

The above money has long since been spent and I am now skint

I'm too fat, my my wife and children are far too beautiful for them to really be mine (but they are ) I fuckn love my job, love Leeds United and fuckn hate Ireland (the shthole place where I'm living now!)

And this, is probably my favourite song of all time

....And that's me

I look forward to hearing everyone else story!

BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 3 years ago
Liam I have just one thing to say this video describes you to a "T"

Prejsu (KKS Lech Poznan) 3 years ago
Wow, you've really been through a lot. Glad that everything worked out for you in the end!
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I already had an insight into liams past, from the man himself, and its amazing the guys able to talk about it, and fair play to him for sharing it with us, and as he says about the drugs, he's not fuking about when he tells the youngins to stay clear, well you heard it from the horses mouth what a couple of innocent e's can do.
Cheers liam, hope you get the move you want to warmer clims mate
I'll go next, why not....

Ever since I can remember, I have always been into football. I guess it has all started when my dad took me to my first Lech game, obviously I don't remember it very well cause I was 4 at that time but it changed everything. Dunno what was my father's motivation cause he's not much of a football-head, but frankly I don't think that it matters, as I'm just thankful that he did it. Since then, I would watch games whenever I could and spend all days playing footy. I soon enrolled into a small football academy of a club named Promień Żary. School plus football practice- that's basically what my childhood looked like.

When I was 13 I received a call-up for the national U-14 team and that was like a dream come true. Unfortunately it did not last long as I was diagnosed with mitral regurgitation. That was the end of my promising career

When I finished high school I decided to move to England. Poland was already in the European Union so it wasn't difficult to find a legal job there anymore. I wasn't pushed for money or anything, cause luckily my family has always been fairly well off, I just wanted to try something new, I guess you could call it embarking on an adventure. I have spent couple of months in London where I lived in East Dagenham. I worked as kitchen assistant in a local diner, but it was a total shithole and London was a bit too crowded for me. Then I moved to Manchester where I lived in Cheetham and worked in a car wash in Salford. At that time it was quite a dream job for me, cause I'm almost as crazy about cars as I am about football. I genuinely enjoyed it, especially that I got to drive most of our customers' cars. But there were bad times too. During my stay I witnessed some hoodlums beating an orthodox Jew to death. There was not a single time in my life when I would be more frightened. I never really told anyone about that, and in real life I probably never will.

After that incident I came back to Poland, started my studies and toke up krav maga, and later muay thai classes. Although the movie scenes where one guy annihilates simultaneously a whole bunch of mean blokes are pure BS, It makes me feel more confident now, which was always an issue when I was younger. I've also spent six months in Moscow, a great multicultural city, completely different from the big western agglomerations. The most important thing that i've learned there was that I was mistaken when I thought that I can hold my liquor. I was so, so wrong

Today, I study Russian and English linguistics and am currently working on my BA theses. I drive a 32 year old Benz, and a 46 year old Junak bike. I'm one of Lech Poznań ultras and am damn proud of it. It is the one and only club I love and support with all my heart, might and spirit.

Edit.

Forgot about one important thing. I came across footytube by pure accident. I was simply looking for some game highlights and that's how it happened. One thing led to another and now.... I'm a footytube addict. Thanks a lot lads!
Great story mate, thanks for sharing it with us
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Great story Presju. You certainly have been a great addition to footytube
Thanks guys I really tried to keep it short and boil it down to the most important things. So, maybe you should go next Marcin?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Ah man, after learning all those uber cool fighting techniques, I thought you'd return back to beat those baddies real hard!That would have been comical
Thanks Presju. I wish I could, but this is not really me, just an assumed character
Prag, I think he did beat them, but he is being modest. Lol
After learning all these uber cool fighting techniques as you playfully called it Pragathish I'm avoiding fighting people even more than I used to in the past
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Love the story man, I can tell you're the type of guy who's rarely bored
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Looks like I'm up next. I'll keep it simple(mostly because I don't have much to write about anyway). I first started watching football about 5 years ago. My dad used to watch united play in the EPL every week and one day I decided to sit down and watch it with him, united were playing against Chelsea and the blues ended up 3-0 winners. I can't quite explain what happened but I really liked what I saw from Chelsea and pretty soon I started becoming interested in football. I started to watch matches regularly during the 2006 world cup(where I started to support England) and when the new season started and since then I've become a huge fan of the blues and the three lions. Although I never watched a match live I did get to visit Stamford Bridge and take a picture of myself holding the fa cup and EPL trophies(the real ones) during a tour of the stadium last summer during the off season.

I first visited footytube when I was Googling for a football highlights site. Interested by what I saw on the site I made an account, a Df team and starting posting on the forums.
So that's basically my short story of how I started liking footy for anyone that wanted to hear a story from one of the younger members on the site
Thanks for sharing mate!
Before I give a short account about myself, I have a horrible confession to make: I've been on this forum for some time now and this is the first time I've ever visited the Introductions section. This means that I've never introduced myself like a decent human (or cyber?) being and I've never welcomed anyone new to the site. It's like it never even cross my mind....

So anyways....
For the first five years, I grew up in a small town in eastern Croatia, but we soon moved to the capital, Zagreb, due to our home being far too close to the frontline during the war in Croatia. I think the nearest fighting was occurring 2-3 km away, and the town was regularly shelled. Spending days in the air raid shelters was no fun, so my mom and I went to Zagreb to live with grandparents (!). A couple of difficult years followed, as my dad was away fighting in the war and we didn't have much, just like many others during those shitty times.

But soon, things started getting better, we settled in Zagreb nicely, my dad was back and he took me to my first football match - Croatia vs Argentina (yes, Maradona was there hehe), it was one of Croatia's first official matches. Soon after, he started taking me to Dinamo matches and I became a total fanatic. I played football for hours every day and I went to almost all the home games of my team. The two seasons in the champions league ('98&'99) were probably the best days of my life, in football terms. During that time, I saw Man Utd, Marseille, Ajax, Porto, Newcastle and some other great teams at our stadium. When I was 10, I joined Dinamo youth and played there for one season, but I soon realized that the system favoured kids with rich fathers and that you basically had to pay your way through to the next level. At the same time, some scouts from Cibona (best basketball club of Croatia) saw me play b-ball at school and called me to come play for their youth team. I ended up playing there for a good few years, but then....

In 2000, we moved to The Netherlands (The Hague), where I've mostly lived until now (and probably will for some time, til the end of studies at least). Obviously, I don't go to Dinamo matches much anymore, but not many people do anyway, as the club has really gone downhill since it fell into the hands of football mafia. Now that the Croatian national team started f*****g up, I think I might just commit a suicide!

I've also been obsessed with EPL for quite a while. In the '90s, I used to like Leeds and Newcastle, and nowadays I'm a fan of Tottenham, affectionately also known as Crotteham by Croats.

That's my lil story, lads. I hope more of you start talking - only 3 people in 3 weeks is unacceptable!

P. S. I found this site by accident as well, like many of you. Well, today I can't imagine not knowing footytube, it is the single best football site on the net, for sure!
That's quite a story mate, I'm glad you came out the other end to tell the tale, and your enjoying your footy, nice one
Cheers Tony, appreciate it!
TjarcoThiago (Feyenoord) 3 years ago
Nice story. You know I just became a member but i've been around here for more than a year but never became a member. A reason why I'm replying to this is that I live in the Netherlands too. Do you watch dutch football games? Hows your dutch so far? Peace
Good thing you decided to join, mate. I do watch dutch league sometimes, especially the ADO matches, they're on fire this year. Some of my mates here in Den Haag are ADO fanatics so it was inevitable for me to start liking the club. I went to see them at them stadium a few times. I also went to the Ajax - Dinamo match a few years ago (Europa League), when we kicked their jood ass 3-2 at the Arena (they got revenge last year though).

As for my dutch, it's pretty terrible to be honest. When I first got here, I went to an international school and there was no dutch to be heard! Then I spent a few years back in Croatia, but came back around 4 years ago for university, but again it was in English....

Ik zal begrijpen als je iets in Nederlands zegt, maar ik praat en scrijf als een mongol
You went through some really bad s**t mate, I'm happy that the war did not affect your life as badly as it did with some of your countrymen. I have a family in Zagreb and I lost my uncle in that war. I know that these were really horrible times for them
Well I have an idea what you went through mate, i've lived through the troubles in belfast, which wasnt very nice, ok we never had tanks etc: on the street, but still mind numbing to think of some of the events that went on, and everyone here knows someone who died during that period.
Give peace a chance.... JL
Prejsu, I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle. What saved me from the traumas that many others went through was my young age. I still remember those times quite vividly, most of it seems quite surreal now. Unfortunately, we are still plagued by war related events, such as the war crime trials here at the Hague, and many people are unable to move on, even 20 years later.

Tony - yes, I'm quite familiar with the troubles, which were undoubtedly just as tragic.

BigD123 (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 3 years ago
Ok I just registered today but been a footy tube fan for maybe a year or more (I'm not great with dates- or spelling for that matter)it was before 2. 0 anyway but I never joined up cause I am a bit skeptical about internet security given some of the stuff that I have to do on my comp.

So about me I have had an interesting football up bringing cause I know you are only supposed to have one team but because my step dad was an ex Man UTD youth player and massive Man UTD fan I got sidelined into being a Man UTD fan rather than wolves. Until I was sixteen and got to know my dad and made the desicion to follow the family tradition, which started with my great grandfather back in 1877 of supporting wolves. As a result I have a ridiculous amount of knowledge on both clubs and still have a soft spot for man you. Having said that kenny miller scoring against Man UTD in the 67th minute in the 2003 season was one of the greatest football memories of my life.

I'm 29 I live in the southwest, married with a 7 week girl used to play non league but now I just don't have the time which is gutting. I still play on wed with guys from my old team and if my life calms down you never know I might have a few seasons in me before I have to start playing golf.

I know exactly when I joined footytube I was trying to find the adebyor goal celebration against arsenal and could not find it anywhere cause city have some really good delete softwear and footytube was the only place that had it

Good work footytube long may you continue
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Welcome BigD123, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering what sort of "stuff" you do on your comp that you were worried about! Lol

Only kidding mate nice to hear a bit about you!
The only good thing to come out of wolverhampton was "slade" in the 70's.... Lol, my favourite band of the time, only joking damien, I'm giving my age away there.... Lol, but I bet you wish you had stuck with utd.
Welcome aboard mate, and if you have any questions or problems regarding the site, give myself or one of the other staff members a shout.
Thanks for the little bit about yourself damien
Cheers
When I used to play football on the C64 and Amiga I always used to piclk Wolves as my team. Steve Bull, the kit. I suppose wolves are a bit of a second team for me
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Welcome to the site!
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Hi Everyone,

Similar to Marko i've been a user for over 2 years but never officially introduced myself, how rude! Well, like many of you I stumbled upon footytube when desperately searching the web for quality highlights. I used the site like that for a long while before actually creating an account. Since then it's been such an awesome experience for me learning and talking with all of you about football. Another plus has been just getting a better perspective on other cultures here.

Being born and raised in Minnesota, the state of hockey, soccer has never received much attention so this site was a real blessing. I started playing soccer when I was probably 7 or 8, playing in youth leagues and going to numerous summer soccer camps. When I was 14 I got on an Olympic Development Program team but unfortunately it didn't work out having a single mom and living 4 hours away from training. I continued to play in summer associations as well as High School.

My Sophomore year of college I tried-out and made my University team which was an amazing experience playing at such a high level, now I wonder what could've been if I had stayed on the ODP team. Anyways, I'm still at University and studying Mechanical Engineering, graduating May 2012. I enjoy playing indoor and outdoor leagues year-round. My ambitions are to one day get to a few matches in England as well as coaching a youth team.

¡Viva footytube!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Neat story mate and good luck with your Uni and mechanical engineering, I'm hitting the Uni next month to pursue civil engineering if anyone's wondering
Coaching a youth team does sound hip, hope you go after it. Peace
THanks for the stories, and a long belated welcome to footytube! Good luck to both you and Prag with your studies, stick with them
Good to hear your story, mate. Mind explaining your affection for the Croatian NT?
Nice one ryan, and I echo ant regarding the studies
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Marko, I started following Croatia during the Euro 2008 qualifiers. It sparked my interest when they knocked England out in that amazing game at Wembley and played some beautiful football during the tournament, losing on unfortunate terms to Turkey (injury time was over). Since, I've taken a liking to the team and a few players like Modric, Kranjcar, Srna, and Olic. Also, I admire the coach Bilic. I've also done some reading on the Balkan Wars which I found interesting but sad. Very talented team/country and I hope they qualify for 2012!
Soccerdemics (Arsenal) 3 years ago
About me............. Ex pro, ex dream team actor. Now football choreographer, researcher, coach and director of soccerdemics.

Link:Link: www.soccerdemics.com

Link:Link: www.facebook.com/pages/Soccerdemics/16755040660545...
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Sup everyone. What can I say except that football is the biggest passion in my life. I saw a live game between the town that was born in take on the first league big boys and it was probably the most awe inspiring experience of my young life. I was hooked! Since then, football has been a constant in my life. As some of you may know, I had a knee injury which I am stil recovering from and am hoping that my muscles will be in great condition once again. I do not want to end up like Owen Hargreaves lol
My team is Manchester United, always has been.... Well when I say that, I really mean I got hooked on them in the summer of '99 when they won the trebble, and coincidentally (I think) my dad bought me and my brother their home and away kits (my brother now supports arsenal - peer pressure I guess). I was 10 years old but I grew up with this team, and to this day they are still one of the top 3 most important things to me.

I am hoping that one day I will move from Canada to Manchester, England. Not just because of United but also because I love English culture and the country itself.... One day

Anyways, besides football I enjoy racing my stock car against ppl who spend thousands on modifying theirs (and winning), playing guitar, and of course lots of women at the same time!
I have a degree in hospitality management and am currently working at an upscale Hyatt hotel in Toronto.

Thanks for reading
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
Great read, its a pity more members don't use this forum, unless they have something to hide.... Lol
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Maybe its because the threat is hiding from them .... It took me a bit of digging and exploring through the website to stumble across it lol

Edit: not threat.... Thread obviously
REDDEV1L (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I find myself wondering how many footytube users are Americans, as the majority of my peers here seem not to understand my infatuation with football. Fortunately, my eyes were opened by a former Rangers player (who shall remain unnamed), and by sheer coincidence he came to help out at my rec league team when I was still very young. I don't know what it was, but my interest was captured, and the aforementioned coach taught me how to play, all the way up through ODP in California. Along the way I got to meet some of the Manchester United greats while they were in the states and since then I have been a huge supporter of the club
I hope you support rangers as well.... Lol
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I want to know which player he talking about! Off the top of my head the only one I can think of in the states is Mo Johnstone, can't be him.... Can it?
What ex gers players have gone stateside?
Have we any former american players john?
I know we have a fair few at the minute with edu, bocanegra, etc:
JestaYNWA (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Well, since it’s a quiet and boring moment at work and I meet the criteria for a regular, allow me to introduce myself.

My real name is David (that’s right, Jesta isn’t my birth name would you believe). Born and raised in Melbourne, Australia with an English mother and a Welsh Dad. I have always loved sport but AFL was my sport of choice at a young age. (For those of you who don’t know AFL, it’s too complicated to explain but it’s awesome ).

Then I stumbled across a video tape containing highlights of Liverpool’s Road to Wembley in 1994 (I think) and watched in awe as players like Steve McManaman and co displayed just why it is called the Beautiful Game. I then proceeded to immerse myself in the culture and the history of football, especially Liverpool FC.

Now Australia is not the ideal place to follow an English football team due to the time differences, especially when you’re a kid with a bedtime of about 8. 30pm, lol. However, the first time I watched a match live was back in the memorable 2000-01 season. Robbie Fowler and a young Steven Gerrard combined for a 4-0 win over Arsenal. A few months later I stayed up and watched Michael Owen almost single-handedly win the FA Cup final in a 2-1 win over the same opposition. I can honestly say that I haven’t missed many matches live since that day.

This passion for the game quickly translated into a desire to play the game like my then hero, the aforementioned Michael Owen. I’ve never been very good at any sport, I lack the athletic ability to even run in a straight line let alone run with a ball at my feet. I gave it a go though and endured one competitive season with a team called the North City Lions. We finished bottom of the table with a record of 0 wins, 1 draw and 16 defeats. That sound bad and it probably was at the time but I have so many great stories to reflect on now. Stories that are always good for a laugh. It’s a shame that the experience was ruined by certain so-called teammates taking it too seriously and felt it was their right to bully me because of my lack of talent. I always tried my best though, a concept apparently lost on them.

I try not to take things like that too seriously as a result. In fact, a year later I started a five-a-side indoor football team with just my mates. Again, we didn’t win a game but we always had fun. In a way then, that’s probably the purest form of the game that I’ve been involved in. If you can walk away from an 8-3 defeat with a smile because you’ve had fun with your friends then that's pretty good I think.... Still, a win would’ve been nice occasionally .

So football has always been a part of my life (in general sport and film tend to be my two great passions) and I’m sure it always will be, even if fifa12 is the closest thing I currently have to playing it competitively. I know that next time Liverpool play; whether it be at midnight or 4. 30 in the morning I’ll be watching them. Even when it means I show up for work bleary eyed and only half conscious.

Speaking of work, I’m currently working full time but I find myself in that annoyingly awkward phase of not being 100% sure what to do career wise. (If someone is willing to pay me to watch Liverpool everyday it would solve my problem so let me know ). I do have a Bachelor of Arts with a Media Studies major but my post-High School desire to become a journalist didn’t pan out when I realised I wasn’t actually enjoying studying it, lol. I’m sure I will think of something else though…eventually.

Finally, in regards to footytube, I have been a member since October 2010 (I think) and loved every minute of it. I’m not on facebook or twitter or any other form of social media, in fact I barely use my computer, but I will always find time for this site. My friend introduced me to it and I spend most my time in the Liverpool forum but I do love to visit the Silly Captions page from time to time as it always good for a laugh.

Wow.... That was longer than I intended....
Oh well, big thanks to anyone who managed to get through it without falling asleep
Great insight david, what took you so long, you obviously don't have too many spells of boredom at work.... Lol
JestaYNWA (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Haha. Thanks Tony. The truth is there is a lot of boring periods at work.... You'll notice that the longer my post is the more boring work is that day. it's ok though because I can technically claim that I've been paid to contribute to footytube and that's the dream right there
Your better paid than us moderators, that's for sure.... Lol

Kick4Life - changing lives through football