Forums / Manchester United
Order: Newest / Oldest
Player/Team Opinions And Suggestions
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
So everyone, I think we all see the passionate discussions going around the forum regarding player performances as of late. So instead of clogging the chat page, I thought I'd follow through on my earlier request and make a forum for this type of discussion.

So here's a place where you can give a detailed account of why you believe any player should or shouldn't be in the squad. Please back it up with statistics so others can understand your reasoning, other than the fact that you might not just like a player.

Finally, let's keep it civil lads, no name calling. This is a place for opinions and debate
SongkyKong (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Objectively speaking, let's face the facts, there were 8 changes made to the squad that faced Benfica. For many of the new faces the game against Benfica was their first game of the season (thereabout).

Valencia did alright, not bad, not great either, but this was his first game so I'll cut him some slack cause he was an absolute beast in the 2nd half of last season, destroying left-backs like Baines and Cole with EASE.

Carrick.... Let's just say he did his job.

Fletcher needs more time to regain his match fitness before he regains his swash-buckling style in midfield.

Park did alright and was his usual energetic self. Again, not bad, just not great either.

The main shocker I have.... Is Rooney. Rooney looked out of sorts when being played as a lone-striker, he needs his space to move and to operate in the box, he needs someone that can play off him, players like Welbeck and Hernandez. But alone up front? Rooney didn't exactly give the performance of his life. I felt it was odd that he was played, no offence to him I know that he has a fantastic battery but I would have rather have Berbatov up front because his hold up play benefits the 4-1-4-1 that SAF was playing.

Back-four did their job well so no complaints here. People blame Evans but that was a good turn and a fantastic shot. Even a class-defender like Kompany has been turned inside out by Lavezzi
Winkz (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Actually I thought the midfield 3 did fine soaking up the pressure. Defensively we were astute and solid. I was disappointed with the lack of width provided by park and vally though.... Like you said, they did average. And as potential champions, should've seen more from them. But yeah no match fitnessness or sharpness.

As a whole, the midfield did not provide good service to wayne.... Pretty pedestrian movement from them on the night. Haha gone were the mesmeric passing...
SongkyKong (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yea, but I still reckon SAF should have rested Rooney and Anderson. Yea trio did their job, but it wasn't good enough in the end, which was a shame
Zhenwei (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Well. SAF will feel hard done by to stand by and justify the way we played at Benfica if we fail to win the Chelsea match. I think At the Benfica match, SAF already has set his mind on taking chelsea apart
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
What is the team needed for the Stoke game? I reckon give Smalling a rest and bring Rio in, Chicha a rest and bring Owen or Danny Welbek In, give Nani a rest and let Valencia start, and Carrick with Ando so

De Gea, Evra Evans Jones Ferdinand, Young Anderson Carrick Valencia, Rooney Owen.

Subs Welbeck Smalling Fletcher Nani Lindegard
Zhenwei (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Stoke is a tough team that plays very physical, It wil not surprise me if we can't play our normal flowing game (just look at liverpool players frustrated at the tackles and spend their time challenging referee decisions)

No matter who we play, We need Strong defenders especially. I will think SAF will go with
Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Evra
Valencia, Fletcher, Anderson, Nani/Young
Rooney, Owen

Seems to me fletcher was rested for this one.
Owen seems to be on form and if he doesn't score, Berba will be subbed in. Got the feeling the way we play our set-pieces will determine match outcome....
Ruudrohit (Manchester United) 3 years ago
---------------------------------de gea----------------------------------
Valencia-----------rio--------------------------evans-----------evra
Nani---------------carrick--------------anderson-------------young
------------------rooney--------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------welbeck------------------------

Subs : lindegaard, fabio, jones, giggs, park/fletcher, berba, owen

Peculiar line up.... But it's a lot of pace and strength.... And at the same time, we won't lose our link up play/one touch football
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I don't think he can leave Jonesy out seeing the performances he's put in
Ruudrohit (Manchester United) 3 years ago
We'll require him for the champions league game.... Smalling as well
MUMatt (Manchester United) 3 years ago
---------------------------------de gea----------------------------------
Valencia-----------rio--------------------------jones-----------evra
------------------fletcher-------------------anderson-------------
Nani------------------------------------------------------------young
------------------rooney--------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------welbeck------------------------
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Ill just start by saying that what I thought would be the biggest challenge of the new united generation is now proving to be a strong suit. I'm talking of course about our goalies. De gea is getting better and better while lindegaard is just amazing and I favor him because he reminds me of schmeichel in both name and looks (sort of) although he's nowhere as large. They are both danish I thinik?

Defence has seen good and the bad, with vidic misteriously being struck with such a long absence due to injury, ferdinand getting tired although the way he commands the youngings is impressive. The good - jones and smalling are absolutely brilliant. Evans - needs improvement but I like him.
My first choice: smalling, jones, vidic, fabio

Midfield - concerning fact is that our arguably best winger (nani) has the 'torres curse'. He is brilliant one moment, then he screws up. I'm not saying he made any screwups against stoke, but after that wondergoal, he definitely should have passed the ball around more instead of trying to save the day by himself. That being said, his pace and control are absolutely frightening. Valencia hasn't been impressive although much more of a team player than nani. Young has had a blazing start but since chelsea he hasn't been as convincing. Giggs is just a wizard whose last 15 minute inclusions in the game always take another dimension in united's play. He's absolutely amazing and IMHO is the best the way he's been so far - last half hour of the game when he's needed the most is perfect considering his age.
Anderson had a crap game against stoke but thankfuly he's doing really well lately as is fletcher.
My first choice: anderson, fletcher, nani, young

Forwards: what can be said about rooney other than he's absolutely amazing. The worrying fact for me is that the role of the 2nd most effective striker is increasingly starting to look to be occupied by welbeck who still has a bit to improve. Chicha has taken two knocks in last 2 games but he seems a bit more hesitant than last season. He needs to impress this season if he's ever to become old trafford legend.
I recon berba will have one more chance before fergie finally ships him off to new endeavors on the continent, russia or the middle east for even more money and easier life.
Owen - perfect for carling cup and champions league group stage games.
First choice: rooney, welbeck
ReneAdlerIsGod (Manchester United) 2 years ago
First off, kudos Joeymac for starting this
Secondly, As much as I love Rio, I think he needs to either pick up the pace or just leave. Brilliant defender, but he's getting older now, 33, and getting slower due to various injuries. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling arefantastic, and with the way theyve been playing, short and long term, United don't have a problem on defence. They may want to bring in another left back later on as a cover for Evra, and if the da Silva twins don't work out. With Cleverley looking good, he's pretty much set his centre-mid role on the team, but with Fletcher and Carrick looking ab bit sluggish, as well as Anderson not performing to the best of his ability, i'd suggest United pursuing either Sneijder or a younger play making center mid. Maybe someone with the likes of Yoann Gourcuff, or nasri. Other than that, the club looks fantastic down the stretch with 2 quality keepers, Nani and Young as long term replacement for Giggs and of course Little Pea and Rooney up front

Kick4Life - changing lives through football