Forums / Manchester United
Order: Newest / Oldest
Our Legends And Great Club Servants
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
After borgs great thread on uniteds classic matches, what better than to laud our legends and great club servants with a video tributes thread.
You can guess who I'm going to start with, but you can add as many videos as you like of the same player, but we have loads of great tribute videos for past and present players, and it would be great to see them in a section altogether.

The top man, the clues in the name as I always say.

George BEST tribute    
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Could sit and watch him every day, PUR SANG genius nobody will ever compare to him, Pele said the words and who can argue with that ! Cheers mate
I will have this page coming down with best videos.... Lol, and others
I must admit, I can never remember george best being out injured, I'm sure he was, but I can't remember it, and he took some horrendous tackles week in week out, they didn't hold back then
George best:, BEST intentions, THE george BEST story...{51 mins}

Great watch

Nice one Tony, not the first time i've watched ! And won't be the last either, 2 things really stand out for me, his ex's words say what the man was and greavseys 1 game watching George was worth more than 10 years of mediocracy says exactly what the player was !
History has shown that all the real masters self destructed, genius walks hand in hand with madness otherwise it can't create the perfect art
Aaron222 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Haha Tony, You certainly are the biggest fan of georgey best! I bet you knew about him inside-out!
Pretty much arron, I attended the mans funeral, over 6 hours in freezing pouring rain, and I would do it all tomorrow again, and so would the thousands that turned up that day.... Proper legend
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Give the ball to Best and he would the rest! What a player if not his alcohol problems he would of given twice as much but still he was a genius and what I liked to hear was what Greaves said you can't really say who is the greatest out of Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Best but it is sure that there was and is no one better than Best
UTD 8 northampton 2

Best scores 6, after coming back from suspension

Mauijim (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Rest in peace
GEORGE BEST
(1946-2005)

Man United debut at 17 years, 4 months
361 Games, 137 Goals for United
Won 2 League titles
European Cup Winner 1968
37 caps, 9 goals for NI
Effectively retired at 28
11 seasons in the top flight

Bob Bishop
“I think I’ve found you a genius. ”

Sir Matt
“Whenever possible, give the ball to George Best. ”

Ray Fairfax
“The closest I got to him was when we shook hands at the end of the game. ”

Pat Crerand
“Shellito was taken off suffering from twisted blood!”

Norman Whiteisde
“The only thing I have in common with George Best is that we come from the same place, play for the same club and were discovered by the same man. ”

Sir Matt Bubsy
“He was able to use either foot – sometimes he seemed to have six. ”

Jonny Giles
“He had the lot: balance, pace, two good feet, he was brave, strong and a good header of the ball. Pele wasn’t as gifted as George Best and I would definitely put George above Johan Cruyff because he had more heart. ”

Denis Law
“From 1964 to 1969 he was the best player in the country. ”

Pat Jennings
“George was not only a fantastic player, to me he was also a fantastic bloke. ”

Pele
“George Best was the greatest player in the world. ”

Eric Cantona
“I’d give all the Champagne I’ve ever drunk to be playing alongside him in a big European match at Old Trafford… After his first training session in heaven, George Best, from his favourite right wing, turned the head of God who was filling in at left-back. ”

David Beckham
“As a Manchester United fan I always saw George Best as a football legend and it was a proud moment for me when I wore the same number seven shirt as him. He is one of the greatest players to have ever graced the game and a great person as well. ”

Tony Blair
“He was probably the most naturally gifted footballer of his generation, one of the greatest footballers the UK has ever produced. Anyone who has seen him as a football fan will never forget it. ”

Sir Alex
“He was a fantastic player. Everybody at United regarded George as being one of the greatest of all time. ”
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
George best- football genius:......43 min's

Includes interviews with saf and many others

George BEST, THE legend WILL never DIE:

Really good tribute to bestie, and paddy will like some of the music
The old sixties stuff...Lol

Redsince63 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
If theres one person in the world that could rightfully be called gods gift to football then its Georgie Best, nobody will ever be able to match him no CR&'s no Messi's, Maradonas, nobody !
Magic documentry my whole childhood in a vid about the time that Georgie packed in was when I was getting ready to leave the UK !
And as for the music the best song is at the end from John Lennon one his last songs on the final album before he got blown away.
Cheers mate
I fully agree paddy, I could not see maradonna, pele, cruyff, messi or ronaldo being able to play anywhere on the pitch, george did often for united, I don't think there was a position he didn't play, and he had two great feet which couldn't be said for the rest, he didn't play on snooker table pitches with light balls and opponents were allowed to tackle back then, and they did.... Lol
A 70's favourite of mine, and the old trafford faithful

Stuart "pancho" pearson.

Sweet memories ! Not only Pancho but all them players were hero's, maybe we wern't top dog at the time but we played some class attacking football. Sammy Mac, Hill, Coppel Morgan, Macari and the list just go's on and on, I can really relate to the liverpool fans of the last 20 years adversity breeds faith and faith creates its own Hero's, something that keeps you going on !
A lot of those lads brought us out of division 2 straight away under the doc, and won the fa cup.
I always liked little gordon hill on the left, coppell was on the right, big norman whiteside came on the scene, that was the end of steve mcmahons reign of terror, big norman at 18 fixed his wagon, he was quiet in every game against utd when norman played.... Lol, great days paddy, apart from the relegation
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
One of my favorites of all time- Ole Solskjaer

All Goals

Tribute by Youtube user Adityareds

Link: www.youtube.com/user/adityareds#p/u/23/i_1cwEAQiaw...

Big favourite of mine mate, only second to bestie, I thought solksjar was brilliant.
I could stick 100's of videos up here, but I don't want to hog all the vids, come on lads, get your favourites up here
He's such a classy guy and player, he always put the team before himself, and not to mention he was a hell of a finisher- not too much more you can ask for from a player. The only regret was that injuries kept him down for four out of his five final seasons.
I think he will be a great manager one day, he's done exceptionally with Molde. Could you see him at Old Trafford again in the future?
Deffo ! Just a matter of time
Tdsmufan (Manchester United) 2 years ago
A superb finisher in his days. Ole was the super sub at that time. I loved watching him when he played against forest and coming off as a sub and scored four times, that's very unique. Not many players are capable of doing that in a football match. Thank you Joeymac for showing this unique and awesome video about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
An unsung hero at utd, and one of the clubs great goalscorers.

Brian McCLAIR

And the Reds go marching On On On !
REDDevil98 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I remember Brian, awesome player very underrated, love the early 90's where he also played as midfield, good time
Like macari he scored a bucketload of goals for celtic as well
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The King: Denis Law    
What more can you say about the king, one of the holy trinity?
The man was brilliant, one of the best headers of a ball I have ever seen, and he wasnt a big guy, or well built, but he could score overhead kicks the lot, the man was amazing.
The only problem dennis had was when he scored, according to george best, he hated scoring when dennis was near, because when he came to give you a celebratory hug after scoring, he stank of pickled onions, which he apparently ate a full jar of before every game?
In response to The King......

Le King- "He is not a man.... He is Eric Cantona"

Part 1 of a documentary "Eric The King", if you've got time on your hands, it's a great watch.

Lehzer (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Cantona was one of the main reasons I started supporting Utd! Long Live the King!
A touch of class, nuff said
He is my favorites player, King Eric!
Desvil (Manchester United) 3 years ago
And of course peter schmeichel

Ruud van Nistelrooy too

All great shouts, I will hoke out a few more oldies
Love the music in The Great Dane video! As a Holland supporter Ruud is one of my all time favorites. Always clutch in the champions league!
Ruud have always been an awesome player, such Legend. Looking at that 2nd video, Rooney know how to dribble, looking at him now he gone sh***er
LADS don't JUST STICK A LOAD OF VIDEOS UP, GIVE US A LITTLE INSIGHT AS TO WHY YOU POSTED THE VIDEO, GIVE US SOME PLAYER BACKGROUND ETC:
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Mark hughes    
Great player, thighs like tree trunks.  Sparky scored some blinders in his time.
Mauijim (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Sparky could strike a ball off the volley better than anybody. And a true fighter. You never saw him whining about getting kicked and takin down. He loved the contact and put it right back in their face
One of the best full backs I have ever seen, and had the pleasure to meet.

Dennis irwin.

According to SAF, his greatest signing ever.    I'm a big fan of Dennis Iwrin, I only wish I could have seen him in action more often.
Theres a photo of dennis and paul parker with my son in my photo album, we've met him a few times, as dennis, paul and david may all work for utd going around the numerous supporters club functions as club ambassadors, they can drink, i'll tell you that.... Lol, well david may can, and they cost £2, 000 each to bring to your club, plus you have to wine and dine them
Jonny evans is our current supporters club president, it was norman whiteside before him, but we had to let norman go, he cost you a fortune in drink.... Lol.... Joking
Will never ever forget this one, this is one of the most crucial goals in the treble

COME ON PAT, GIVE US A little background ON giggsy, and your own personal views of the great man
I knew Giggsy was the real thing when he was 16, one of me best mates hung out with his dad on the dockside in Cardiff, his dad was a pretty good rugby player (and a villian to boot) an he'd already spread the word that Giggsy was gonna' be on of the greatest of all time.
In my view he ranks up there in the top 5 all time greats, if you watch Giggsy he's got one special attribute that Besty had as well he floats over tackles, you'll very rarély see him losing the ball to a another player, also a reason why he's been able to carry on so long his main injury problems have been muscle strains and not damage through bad tackles. When he got the ball and started running again like Besty you knew anything was possible !
Its true his dad was a fair rugby league player, and even quicker than ryan.... Lol, I have a great video at home about ryan and george best, its starts with best calling to a very young ryan giggs house, and his mum answers the door, and from there its all about best taking ryan round all the old haunts they used to hang out in back in the day, great video
Tony post us the name of the vid please, and i'll root round the net see if I can get hold of it !
Besty could have played on to Giggsy age as well, cryin shame
Cheers mate
Roy Keane

Keane joined legendary manager Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest in 1990. After gaining attention from many more top clubs, Keane initially agreed on a contract with Blackburn Rovers and Kenny Dalglish, but after a late phone call from SAF, Keane was won over. His mind changed (much to a fuming Dalglish's dismay), Keane joined Manchester United, and as they say, the rest is history.

Premier League (7): 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03
FA Cup (4): 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
Uefa Champions League (1): 1998–99
One reason I like this video is that it shows a main part of Keane's game, and that is tackling. Sometimes he was a little harsh with his tackling, but he wore his heart on his sleeve, and you can't ask for much more from a leader and Captain
Uniteds heartbeat for so long, I know roy has come out and said some stupid things, but that's roy, you can't question the mans ability to read a game, absolutely brilliant
Mauijim (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The irreplaceable Keano!  Miss his leadership on the pitch
Anyone got any videos of Pat Crerand and/or Nobby Stiles? I can't seem to find any...
Theres nothing really on paddy or nobby, but go on youtube, and paddys show on mutv is class, I love his bias towards utd, and he doesent even try to hide it, , , good oul paddy, besties minder, a real hard glaswegian
I was looking for something on Nobby as well. The only thing I came across was this one called the Sir Matt Busby Era.

Great video with a lot of history (hour and a half). Its a must watch for any United fan.
Tony, maybe we should create another sticky thread: "What every united follower needs to know"
Nice one Mauijim, enjoyed that from start to finish and your right it should be a must for every United fan, for meself it was a trip back to a magic childhood wheré I had the privilige to be at Old Trafford every other week to watch the the last Busby team turn it on !
I noticed all the kids attending the matches so its funny you mention that.
I thought to myself it was still sport back then and every one enjoyed the opportunity to attend.
A sad contrast to today's "sport" where the tickets are priced for the business of the club rather than the people.
Busby was ahead of his time. He recognized the slippery slope of wages as he told his players, who at the time were asking for a cup bonus, You can't buy pride or loyalty. If you could, football would be just another business. They agreed and went about creating a legacy still lingering today
I dare say that with his impending testimonial match The Ginger Genius deserves a spot on this list.

This vid has Embedding disabled but has some classic Scholes goals!

Link: youtu.be/rx_oM60tkv0
I really can’t imagine playing anywhere else and I don’t want to either. It’s never been something that’s interested me at all so it’s never become an issue really. Obviously in football you never know and there may come a time when the manager doesn’t want you any more and you have to go. But that would be the only reason that I would leave.
Paul Scholes on being a one club man.

I remember a story how Scholsey, in the early morning training sessions, would launch, with pinpoint accuracy, a ball across the pitch to find the back of some team mate's head who had trotted over to the edge of the trees for a morning piss.

The Republik of Mancunian has a great page of quotes from Paul Scholes:

Link: therepublikofmancunia.com/quotes-from-paul-scholes...
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Brilliant all round player really wish he could have played forever:

As I sit and watch this collection of magic the tears come welling up, what was I so lucky to have been brought to Old Trafford as a 5 year old kid ! To have been blessed with the sound and vision of magic days and nights, dreams dreams day and night, always that felling running through the whole of mind and body exctasy and pain in good times and bad times until the day I die, thanks dad you gave me my religion , my love and my faith for 1 shilling and sixpence down the Warwick Road. The Gods gift to Football MUFC
Nicely put paddy, I was 12 when I first made the pilgrimage, and now I can't get enough of it, and every time feels like the first.... Lol, amazing place, and I just wish all the utd fans on footytube could get to see old trafford.
It looks even more amazing when its empty, I know that sounds weird, but it does, theres something about the place, maybe its spiritual who knows?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football