Forums / Manchester United
Order: Newest / Oldest
DEFENSIVE ADDITIONS??
DavGaj (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Defence. Manchester United has seen the likes of many Legendary defenders, what can we do to shore up for the long run? What positions should we fill first and who?
Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
Easy answer to that is? .... Two full backs who are there to defend, and a defensive box to box midfielder.
Centre backs when all fit are fine
DavGaj (Manchester United) 1 year ago
My first thread here guys, lets tear this up with some real thought.... Thanks)
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
We don't need to recruit anyone in defence, we will have most of our options back in a few weeks time. Attack is obviously fine, but I say we lack a winger. Nani has been in poor form and Young may take a while to get back into the swing of things too.

The midfield is the main problem, we need to find a solution to it soon. We can't keep getting dominated in the midfield and lose games because of it
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I think we need to look carefully how things pan out injury wise between now and the next transfer window, if we carry on getting injurys to our CB's then I think we should go for somebody like Subotic or Hummels and even thpough SAF doesn't seem keen on it I'd still like us to go for Strootman, big strong box to box who can play, score and give it out.

On the attacking side we've got a wealth of options Nani can go as far as I'm concerned so long as he's not willing to drop back defensivly then he leaves us exposed
Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
We missed out bigtime on dembele paddy, he would have been ideal as our midfield rock
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
True, but nobody can follow Fergies reasoning he doesn't do what the most people think, I think he has his own set of rules that's only known to him cos'its not the first time we've missed out big time on top players at cheap prices
Good point Pat, Ferguson always fights to get the players he wants, if we wanted Dembele, we would have had him by now. Or maybe it was true we did run out of funding for this summer
SoccerIsFootbal (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Why don't reporters ever ask fergie questions he fans want answered.... Why the heck have we been neglecting central midfield in the transfer market? Why did we not seriously bid for modric or dembele? What is the plan for coping for scholesy and giggsys retirement?

Are we going to replace the failed lucas moura and hazard sagas with another young world beater? When do you think the likes of lingard and tunnicliffe will break into the first team? Etc
Innoxious (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I think we need to see the bigger picture. We have (players who fit to regularly play in the middle) Cleverley, Anderson, Carrick, and Fletcher with Giggs and Scholes as the backup. With total of 6 players who can play at the middle, bringing another midfielder means someone will definitely go down the pecking order.

Not to mention Rooney and Kagawa can be deployed at CM position sometimes, so I think Sir Alex was not really worried with our midfield, unlike what the fans had been worrying for the past few years.

I agree with Dgrant here, we are currently lacking a winger except for Valencia. Nani had been always up and down, we can't expect that consistency from him and Young still didn't get to show anything convincing this season. If you look at the statistic, the chances and goals we created were also contributed by our fullbacks.

But looking at the current situation, I'm much more worried of our defenders since Vidic, Smalling and Jones are out of the selection. We still don't have that solid back four unlike when we had Ferdinand + Vidic partnership back then. We won trophies partly because of their solid presence at the back
I feel if we get another CB, Jones will be put down the pecking order as well. I know Vidic is out for a lengthy time, but I don't think it's wise to go after a CB. We have cover for it, none is really needed. If we want to play Smalling and Jones, Evans will be sacrificed, which he does not deserve. So long as we have three CBs, I think we will be fine, unless something happens to either three of them. Notice how I'm not even counting Ferdinand.

Not sure if we will get a CM right now, Scholes will have to retire, so will Giggs maybe. The summer window is the likely of buying a CM. The winter window should be used to bring in a game changer, imo, someone with flair. A skillful winger is what we need, preferably on the left. Shouts are going ahead for Tom Ince, I'm not sure if he is what we are looking for, but he's young and looks very promising
Joeymac (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Would have loved to see the pursuit of Dembele, or even Fellaini go somewhere legitimate.
What's the link with James Rodriguez? Isco? Strootman? Add these questions to the list of players that the fans talk about

Kick4Life - changing lives through football