Forums / Liverpool
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Post-Dalglish....Pre-New Manger Thread.
BlackAna (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Hey guys the main purpose of this thread is to gather opinion, arguments for/against the decision our owners made in sacking Dalglish, the potential managers that have been approached, the handling of the situation by FSG, etc. I am doing this to reduce the amount of clutter on our main page as everyone seems to want to post essays.

I will split the thread into sections and you can post you opinions by replying in the right section. Or ask your own questions by posting a reply to the thread itself
If you are were for or against the decision, why do you think so. Was Dalglish the way forward, or why was he a hindrance?
What manager would you prefer for the owners to hire, and why. Do you think that any of the rumored managers approached are suitable enough?
If you are concerned/unconcerned by the way FSG handled the sackings, you can post here
I think the way FSG approached the sacking is very worrying. We pretty much sacked Dalglish without an assured 'plan B'. According to Ayre we just started the interviewing process yesterday. This is bad because we cannot guarantee an excellent replacement, and we may have to settle for mediocrity.

Without a manager, director of football, director of sales, director of comms, and lead of health and science we have no one of authority with any proper footballing knowledge to guide the owners in their decision, we have no-one to scout for players, and from the twitter mishap earlier today, we have no-one in our comms department making smart decisions.

As of this moment our rivals who are already ahead of us are moving even further ahead as we remain in an apparent standstill. That is very worrying
LesRouges (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Sacking the king after just a year.... Really that was a very poor decisions.... Lets hope we don't come to regret it
Yea, I think it was too early as well. He would have done a lot better next season imo.

I also would have thought that to sack someone like Dalglish our owners would have had great replacements who are interested already lined up to replace him. I just hope we don't have to settle for a Martinez-like manager
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Reasons for: poor league position, brought in mid table players for ridiculous fees (maybe comollis fault for prices), no 'plan' when we played, team selection left much to imagination, his handling of the media ie Suarez case.... Reasons against: cup performances, he's a legend, not enough time....

Taking this into account you really can't say it's a poor decision before you see who they bring in, there's reasons for and against doing it, I'm in full support of the decision as long as we bring in someone of decent stature, I just didn't like how they did it. It was a disastrous season and if it was anyone else we'd be calling for his head.
I won't call it a disastrous season overall. League-wise yes, we were very poor. But almost getting 2 trophies with average players after a 6 year long wait, and getting back into Europe is a good accomplishment in my opinion.

A poor season. Last year was worse imo
The cups are just irrelevant though, yes it's nice to win one but in the big picture it's all about the champions league. That's how you make money, raise your status as a franchise and attract big players. It's our worst league finish since the 50's and we look further than ever from the champions league places. Maybe the word disastrous is slightly hyperbolic, but it was a far cry worse than a 'poor' season. The reason we have average players is Kenny has purchased overpriced garbage in the transfer market, he may have got this average team into two cup finals but I still believe the squad was good enough to challenge the top 4 which we didn't come close to doing. The cups are not a good indicator of where we are as a team
The cups win were vital that's how you build a team with a winning mentality. You have to crawl before you run. And tha's what kenny was doing
The cups may be irrelevant to you but I would rather have gotten the cups and finished 8th than finished 6th with no cups or Europa League. Everyone wanted 4th place. Once that became in-achievable our league position became irrelevant, so we focused more on the cups and our league performance noticeably dipped.

Even Tottenham who are in 4th are not sure they will make it into Champions League this year, that's how competitive our League has become. We must always aim for the highest position in the league, when we fail then we must try to get the cups. We have failed at getting into Champions League for 3 years now, but this is the only year where we have made a strong push for trophies, I think that makes it less of a dis-appointment than the previous years, and more of an albeit slight forward progression.

I think a team who almost got 2 trophies this season, are in Europe, with a rich history and past success is more of a lure for sponsors and players, than a team who didn't even make into Europe, with no trophies, finished 6th while sacking their 3rd manager in 2 years.

I am not saying we should only go for trophies, but in the long run this season would have helped the new players and management get better prepared for becoming more successful even after failure and it was likely we would have done better next year.

Bringing in a new manager may force a new play-style that may take time to get used to, and bring in squad changes that might disrupt the 'gelling in' process of the squad. It will also make us seem more unstable which may cause players to leave to more stable greener pastures. That risk wasn't worth taking in my opinion when it would have been much smarter to allow Kenny another year
My argument wasn't that I'd trade 2 cups for 6th.... Obviously I wouldn't! I'd trade them for 4th though...
Sfc9576 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Lol even though 4th is now moot considering chelsea won?
With the benefit of hindsight obviously not.... But in the general scheme of things I definitely would
Kenny will we very much missed. At least I can die saying I was here when kenny was the manager both times...
PC2572 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Forever the King of the Kop.... We should retire the number 7 jersey....
Suarez will have to work harder to earn the mantle....
[account-removed] 1 year ago
Kenny the greatest.... Number 7
Glikus (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Has been disposessed
[account-removed] 1 year ago
So Glikus
Kop4Ever (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Never

Kick4Life - changing lives through football