Forums / Liverpool
Order: Newest / Oldest
Heroes Of Liverpool FC
JestaYNWA (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Greetings to all those in Red.

I'm starting this thread because I'm feeling very nostalgic at the moment (something to do with the return of the good times at Liverpool I suppose). We all have our favourite players from past and present so I thought that maybe we should have a thread where we can share the memories that unite us as supporters and make this club the best in the world.

I personally will be writing posts (sometimes quite lengthy which I do not apologise for) about many of the players that I have loved watching and I hope you guys can join in with feedback and, of course, your own memories.

Basically, let the nostalgia guide you

Ynwa
Gary McAllister 2000-02
87 appearances, 9 goals

“The Enforcer”

I don’t think anyone has made such an impact on Liverpool FC in such a short period of time. A free transfer in 2000, veteran Scottish midfielder Gary McAllister became one of the most memorable players in one of the most memorable seasons of recent times. He was 35 years old at the time and just as we have seen with the recent signing of Christian Poulsen, signing older players is met with criticism and confusion. Manager Gerard Houllier’s decision to sign him was vindicated though.

There was no secret made that Gary Mac was signed purely for back up for midfielders like Danny Murphy, Nick Barmby, Dietmar Hamann and a young up-and-comer named Steven Gerrard. Credit to McAllister though, he surpassed them all for most of the season and provided most of the highlights in a season where Liverpool won the Treble of UEFA Cup, FA Cup and Worthington Cup.

He scored a winning goal against Barcelona in the UEFA Cup semi-final and almost single-handedly beat his former side Coventry helping to secure Champions League qualification. Then, in the remarkable UEFA Cup final against Alaves he scored one and created three and was named man of the match in Liverpool’s 5-4 golden goal win.

Hero status amongst Kopites was confirmed before that though when Gary Mac scored the most dramatic winner in what was arguably the best Merseyside Derby ever. Anyone who witnessed that game will be able to remember it vividly, a freekick from 40 yards with only minutes to go to win the game. If ever there was a way to become an instant legend that was it. I’ve looked long and hard for a good quality video of that goal for all those younger supporters who haven’t seen it but this is the best I could find so far, I hope it at least gives you an idea.

(gotta' to love the look on Houllier’s face huh?)

He started the next season (his last with the club) with a winning penalty against United in the Charity Shield before leaving the club as one of the most respected and well-loved figures to play in the famous red. A hard working, honest footballer who gave his best for the team and was rewarded with some of the best moments and highlights of the Premier League era. Ask any Liverpool supporter who saw him play and they will agree, the one regret we have over Gary McAllister is that we signed him a decade too late.

Ynwa
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
AY cheers before my time of watching LFC really, I think I started really watching matches around 14, 15 years old, there were hardly any matches on in the states back than. But I have always supported LFC. Seen the Everton goal before, pure class, and have heard some stories about him. Awesome player ay, YNWA Gary McAllister, so many Scottish legends at Anfield

P. S. This whole thread is fantastic Jesta glad you made it, really awesome and I am stoked I found it YNWA
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Abit about the king!

Dalglish, the son of an engineer, grew up supporting Rangers.
Though born in Dalmarnock in the East End of Glasgow, he was brought up in Milton in the north of Glasgow and moved to the docklands of Govan, near Ibrox, home of Rangers, when he was 15.

Dalglish attended Milton Bank Primary School in Milton and started out as a goalkeeper. He was attending High Possil Senior Secondary School where he won the inter-schools five-a-side and the inter-year five-a-side competitions when he appeared for the Scotland under-15s in a fixture against their Northern Irish counterparts, playing outfield as a right-half and scoring twice. Dalglish played for Glasgow Schoolboys and Glasgow Schools (winning the Scottish Cup), and was then selected for the Scottish schoolboys team, where they enjoyed an undefeated run to win the home nations Victory Shield tournament.

He had trials at West Ham and notably at Liverpool, but they came to nothing. Dalglish instead signed for Celtic, the Old Firm rivals of Rangers.

Liverpool career as a player...

"He is one of the best players I have ever seen and one of the best players in the history of football."

Franz Beckenbauer

"Kenny had unbelievable vision and strength as a player. He was really aware of people around him. He had great balance and was a good finisher, courageous too. People often forget that the one quality great players need is courage. Kenny is as brave as a lion. He would take a kick from anyone and come back for more. Kenny is a man I shall always respect."

Alex Ferguson

The Liverpool support initially had reservations about Dalglish's ability to replace Kevin Keegan, but Dalglish settled in quickly. He made his debut, wearing Keegan's famous number seven shirt, in the season opener at Wembley, on 13 August 1977 in the Charity Shield against Manchester United, which ended in a draw. He scored his first goal in his league debut a week later on 20 August, against Middlesbrough.

Dalglish also scored on his Anfield debut three days later in a 2–0 victory over Newcastle United, and he scored Liverpool's sixth goal when they beat Keegan's Hamburg 6–0 in the second leg of the 1977 UEFA Super Cup final.

At the end of his first season, Dalglish had played 62 times, scoring 31 goals, including the winning goal in the 1978 European Cup Final final at Wembley against Bruges.

In April 1980, Liverpool paid £300,000 for Ian Rush, an 18-year-old Chester striker.[18] After he had made the breakthrough into the first team, Rush thrived alongside Dalglish. The pair's goals helped the Anfield club win the League championship and a 3–1 League Cup final win over Tottenham Hotspur in which Rush scored a goal a minute from the end of extra time. A year earlier, Dalglish had himself scored in the 1981 Football League Cup Final.[19]

Dalglish was an ever present in his first three league campaigns at Liverpool, his second campaign (1978–79) being his personal best at the club with 21 league goals. He did not miss a league game for Liverpool until the 1980–81 season, when he appeared in 34 out of 42 league games and scored just eight goals as Liverpool finished fifth in the league but still managed to win the European Cup and Football League Cup. He recovered his goalscoring form the following season and was ever-present once again, scoring 13 goals as Liverpool became league champions for the 13th time, and the third time since Dalglish's arrival. Dalglish was voted PFA Player of the Year for the 1982–83 season,[1] during which he scored 18 league goals as Liverpool retained their title; however, after this season his goalscoring record became less prolific, though he remained a regular player.

After becoming player-manager on the retirement of Joe Fagan in the 1985 close season, Dalglish selected himself for just 21 First Division games in 1985–86 as Liverpool won the double, but he started the FA Cup final win over Everton. On the final day of the league season, his goal in a 1–0 away win over Chelsea gave Liverpool their 16th league title.[20]

Dalglish had a personally better campaign in the 1986–87 season, this time scoring six goals from just 18 league appearances, but he was now firmly committed to giving younger players priority for a first team place.

With the sale of Ian Rush to Juventus in the 1987 close season, Dalglish chose to form a new striker partnership of new signings John Aldridge and Peter Beardsley for the 1987–88, during which he played just twice in a league campaign which saw Liverpool seal their 17th title. He did not participate as a player in their 1988–89 league campaign, and made his final league appearance on 5 May 1990 when he came on as a substitute against Derby County F.See... At 39, he was one of the oldest players ever to play for Liverpool.[21] His final goal had come three years earlier, in a 3–0 home league win over Nottingham Forest on 18 April 1987.

"When I was growing up my hero was Di Stefano. Kenny for me was on a par with Di Stefano. That is the best compliment I can pay him."

George Best

Managerial career

Liverpool 1986–91

After the Heysel Stadium disaster in 1985 and Joe Fagan's subsequent resignation as manager,

Dalglish became player-manager of Liverpool and guided them to their first "double" in his first season in charge in 1985–86. Liverpool achieved this historic feat by winning the League Championship by two points over Everton (Dalglish scored the winner in a 1–0 victory over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge to secure the title on the final day of the season) and the FA Cup, again beating Everton 3–1 in the final.

The following season was trophy-less, but Liverpool topped the league for almost the whole season in 1987–88, although Dalglish's appearances were becoming increasingly rare after he signed Peter Beardsley from Newcastle. Alongside Beardsley, he signed John Aldridge from Oxford United as a replacement for the outgoing Ian Rush, winger John Barnes from Watford and Oxford United midfielder Ray Houghton The Liverpool side had a successful run of 37 matches unbeaten in all competitions from the beginning of the season (29 in the league, 22 wins and 7 draws). The run began on the 15 August 1987 and was ended by Everton on 21 February 1988. Liverpool were crowned champions with four games left to play, having suffered just two defeats from 40 games. However, despite being favourites in the 1988 FA Cup Final, they were denied a second double by underdogs Wimbledon.

Dalglish guided Liverpool to victory over Everton in the second all-Merseyside F.A. Cup final in 1989, but lost the chance to win a second double in the last minute of the final game of the season.

Ronnie Moran (left), manager Kenny Dalglish and assistant manager Roy Evans (right) enjoy the club's 18th (and to date, last) championship title

In the 1989–90 season Liverpool won their third league title of their first five seasons under Dalglish's management. It came after a late surge by Aston Villa had knocked them off the top of the table in April, but a strong run during the final weeks of the season saw Dalglish's side win the title by nine points. 1989–90 was also the season that saw the 38-year-old Dalglish play the final game of his career, when he came on as a 71st minute sub for Jan Mølby in Liverpool's final home game of the season against Derby County on 1 May 1990. Dalglish also received his third Manager of the Year award.

Dalglish was in charge of the club at the time of the Hillsborough disaster on 15 April 1989 at the beginning of the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest. The tragedy claimed 94 lives on the day, with the final death toll reaching 96. Dalglish won many admirers for his dignity during this tragedy.

He attended many of the funerals as did the other Liverpool players. He is still well regarded by Liverpool supporters for this reason, as well as for his on-field successes.

He resigned as manager of Liverpool (on health grounds[citation needed]) on 22 February 1991, just two days after a 4–4 draw with rivals Everton in which Liverpool were pegged back four times. Stating he wished to retire from football, Dalglish left Liverpool FC in 1991, with the club defending their title and still in contention for both the league title and the FA Cup.[29]

Dalglish's Liverpool record ended with: 515 appearances, 172 goals, 307 as manager, 8 League Championships, 2 FA Cup wins, 3 European Cup wins, 4 League Cup wins, 1 European Super Cup win, and 5 Charity Shield wins. He also won a Football Writers` Footballer of the Year award, a PFA player of the year award, and three Manager of the Year awards.

Https://lh5.Googleusercontent.Com/-PSh9Xz0BeUM/TYjqB6LlT3I/AAAAAAAAGf4/bmU4XCJNjeI/s1600/-----344+.Jpg
Blackburn Rovers 1991–95

Dalglish stated that he was taking an extended break from football. When Sheffield Wednesday manager Ron Atkinson departed to Aston Villa in June 1991, Dalglish was offered the job to manage Sheffield Wednesday but rejected it as he felt unable to work at Hillsborough after witnessing the tragedy there two years earlier.[30] Dalglish surprised fans by returning to management in October 1991, with Second Division Blackburn Rovers, who he led into the Premier League by beating Leicester City 1–0 in the Second Division Play-off final at Wembley. The resulting promotion meant that Blackburn were back in the top flight of English football for the first time since 1966.[31]

The club were owned by steel tycoon Jack Walker who paid Dalglish very well, and also made large sums available to him, thus allowing Blackburn to compete financially with the wealthiest and biggest teams in England, such as Arsenal and Manchester United. In 1992, Dalglish signed Southampton's Alan Shearer for a British record fee of £3.5 million.

Despite a serious injury which ruled Shearer out for half the season, Dalglish still managed newly promoted Rovers to fourth position in the first year of the new Premier League. Despite Blackburn's wealth, Dalglish often found it hard to attract big name players to the club, leading to great frustration on his part. The failure to sign Roy Keane was one example: Dalglish and Keane had a verbal agreement but Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson convinced him to join his team instead. Keane recalled that Dalglish was furious at him for the decision, and even threatened to sue.
The club finished two positions higher the following season, as runners-up to Manchester United. United had peaked with a 16-point lead over their nearest rivals by the new year, but Blackburn had drawn level on points with United by early April after the leaders had dropped points in several crucial games in early spring. However, Blackburn then began to drop points as United recovered their form and United finished champions by a seven-point margin.
By this time, Dalglish had added England internationals Tim Flowers and David Batty to his growing squad.

The 1994–95 season saw Dalglish again break the transfer record, paying Norwich City £5 million for Chris Sutton who along with Shearer formed a formidable striking partnership. He had now spent over £27 million putting together a squad that could make a serious challenge for the Premier League Championship. The challenge came and by the last game of the season both Blackburn and Manchester United were pushing for the title. Blackburn had to go to Dalglish's former club, Liverpool, with United having to go to East London to face West Ham United at Boleyn Ground.

At the final whistle, Dalglish was able to celebrate: even though Blackburn had lost the game 2–1, news that Manchester United had failed to get the result they needed had filtered through to him via radios in the crowd.

The title meant that Dalglish had been part of nine championship winning sides and the title win also sent Dalglish into the record books once again, being only the third manager in the history of the game to lead two different clubs to top flight league championships, after Herbert Chapman and Brian Clough.

After winning the Premier League, Dalglish became Director of Football on 25 June 1995, with Ray Harford taking over as Blackburn's manager. As the team's fortunes began to slide – Blackburn could only finish 7th in the Premier League and were knocked out of the Champions League in the first round – questions arose about the precise nature of Dalglish's involvement with the club. He parted company with Blackburn, by mutual consent, at the end of the season.

Return to Liverpool 2009–

Club ambassador 2009–2011

In April 2009 Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez approached Dalglish about the possibility of returning to his former club, with a role in the club's youth academy. This appointment was confirmed on 3 July 2009,[39] and Dalglish was also made the club's ambassador.[15]

When Benitez departed as manager on 3 June 2010, Dalglish was asked to help the club find his replacement. Dalglish was then himself heavily linked with the post, an idea that won strong support among former players and fans. Speculation linking him to the post ended on 1 July when Fulham's Roy Hodgson was appointed manager.

However, a poor start to the 2010–11 season led to Liverpool fans chanting for the return of Dalglish as manager as early as 3 October 2010, when the Liverpool team suffered a 2–1 home defeat by newly-promoted Blackpool, leaving them third from bottom in the Premier League after seven games.[41] With no real improvement in Liverpool's fortunes throughout the month (during which time the club was taken over by New England Sports Ventures),[42] calls for Dalglish to return as manager gathered pace.

Caretaker manager 2011–

Link: www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=i.telegraph.co.uk/...
After a continued run of poor results, Hodgson left Liverpool on 8 January 2011, and Dalglish was appointed caretaker manager of the club until the end of the season. Dalglish's first game in charge was on 9 January 2011 away at Old Trafford against Manchester United in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Liverpool lost the game 1–0 due to a controversial penalty decision. Dalglish's first league game in charge was against Blackpool on 12 January 2011 in which Liverpool lost 2–1.[45] After the game, Dalglish admitted that turning around the fortunes of the club would be a major challenge.[46]

Shortly after his appointment, Dalglish indicated that he would like the job on a permanent basis if it was offered to him,and on 19 January the Liverpool chairman Tom Werner indicated that the club's owners would favour the idea of Dalglish taking the position full-time. Werner stated "He fits the criteria we are looking for. He has been everything we could have hoped for."

He's brought the club together as one. The players and the supporters are all together. It wasn't like that at the start of the season, unfortunately for Roy. But I think Kenny coming in has galvanised the support behind the team again and obviously his record as a manager in the past is fantastic. He's one of the top managers around. He's won four championships.

Jamie Carragher, speaking shortly after Dalglish's re-appointment as Liverpool manager

On 22 January 2011, Dalglish led Liverpool to their first competitive win since his return as manager, against Wolves at Molineux,[50] and on 26 January 2011 against Fulham he recorded his first home win since his return.[51] After signing Andy Carroll from Newcastle for a British record transfer fee of £35 million and Luis Suárez from Ajax for £22.8 million in the final few minutes of transfer deadline day on 31 January, in the wake of Fernando Torres's £50 million departure from the club, journalists began writing that Dalglish had already cast off the label of caretaker manager;[52][53] shortly afterwards, club owner John Henry seemed to confirm this by stating "It's still early but in retrospect you could not have made, in our case it was very fortunate, but we could not have made a better choice. I know he, for a long time now, has wanted to be in this position, so it's a great thing for the club, for Kenny and for us."[54] Following a dramatic 1–0 victory against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on 6 February 2011, described by Alan Smith as "a quite brilliant display in terms of discipline and spirit",[55] a "defensive masterplan" by David Pleat,[56] Henry Winter wrote: "Such is Liverpool's transformation under Dalglish, a reinvigorated team now sixth, it can only be a matter of time before he is confirmed as long-term manager".[57] On 18 March 2011 formal talks began between the club's owners and Dalglish about offering him the manager's position on a permanent basis

Scotland: 30 goals in 102 international caps (both national records)
Pfa Player of the Year: 1983
Fwa Footballer of the Year: 1979, 1983
Scottish Premier Division top goalscorer: 1975/76
Manager of the Year award: 1985/86, 1987/88, 1989/90, 1994/95
Inaugural Inductee to the English Football Hall of Fame: 2002
Member of the Scotland Football Hall of Fame
Member of the FIFA 100
Freedom of the City of Glasgow: 1986
1st in the Liverpool Football Club poll 100 Players Who Shook The Kop: 2006

Bring BACK THE winning DAYS!

"A bit about the King" Kop? Lol. If that's only a bit then a full review of his career would take up ten pages.
LyverBird (Liverpool) 3 years ago
For me the greatest man to ever grace the world of football, for what he's done as a player, as a manager, as a man.... And for what he's doing right now of course
Great job Kop, you always rock it with your wonderful posts! And I was going to say the same thing as Jesta
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Absolutely love the thread lads.... You've put good work into it and its paying off! Well done, LONG LIVE KING kenny dalglish
Hahaha at Jesta. AY LONG LIVE THE KING that was a great post Kop

Thought people may find this interesting

Love the football's greatest series. King Kenny is one of my favorites obviously.

GO ON KING
Vaishnav (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Great post.... A real pleasure to read thx
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 1 year ago
God bless Kenny Dalglish for the way he supported the Hillsborough families, a Scotsman cut from a different cloth!
Sirius (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Could we have one about our Vice-Captain Jamie Carragher? He's due to be the player with the 2nd most appearance in Liverpool all time when he plays against Fulham !
Yeah I'm definitely going to write my tribute to Jamie in the next week or two but this is open for everyone to share their memories of players theyve admired so feel free to discuss you're favourite Carragher moments if you want.
Tomorrow I should be adding one about Vladimir Smicer, whos not quite on the same level as Jamie in terms of heroics but theres somethings I wanted to discuss about him.
Vladimir Smicer 1999-2005

121 Appearances, 10 Goals

Some would question me for adding Smicer to this thread dedicated to the heroes of our club but bear with me. The late great Bill Shankly once said, “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared run through a brick wall....And come out fighting on the other side.” I always got the feeling that Vladimir Smicer would not only run through that wall and come out fighting, but he’d be grateful for the opportunity to do so.

A childhood Liverpool supporter, Smicer arrived at the club to help fill the void left by the departure of Steve McManaman so the pressure was on from the beginning. They were shoes that Vladi was never going to fill, in fact, one could argue that he was a flop considering his statistics over his six year Anfield career. He struggled to adapt to the Premier League and he was constantly frustrated by injuries. He was not the best player we have ever had, not even close.

That’s not why I’m writing this though. I have enormous respect for Vladi for, despite everything written above, always working hard and always trying to improve himself and become the player Liverpool needed. Why? Because he loved the club and he loved the game. It is, therefore, a shame that Vladi’s role in the Miracle of Istanbul has gone relatively unheralded.

We all know of the role Gerrard played in lifting the team back in to the game in the second half but for me, the impact of Vladimir Smicer cannot be underestimated. Keep in mind, Vladi went in to that game knowing it was his last match in a Liverpool shirt. In fact, he wouldn’t have even been confident in making it on to the field after being named on the bench. It was only an injury to the ever unlucky Harry Kewell that gave Vladi his chance. His last chance to play for the club he loved, his last chance to win a major honour with the club he loved, his last chance....And credit to him, he took it with both hands.

His goal, to close the gap to 2-3, was a stunner. His first of the 04-05 season, his tenth in red and the best of his career. Kenny Dalglish even named it his goal of the season, in the same season that featured Luis Garcia’s wonder strike against Juventus and Stevie G’s famous strike against Olympiacos. In his column in LFC magazine back in June 2005, King Kenny said:

“i was absolutely delighted for Vladimir Smicer in Istanbul. He’s had six years at Liverpool without ever complaining....He was leaving anyway in the summer but to get that goal, at that time means his name will be remembered by Reds fans of every age.”

As was always the case though with Vladi, his love for Liverpool was never in doubt and his passion was prominent in his thoughts about that goal:

“i always felt I owed a bit to Liverpool because I have had plenty of injuries and wanted to show the fans I am a good player. I wanted to show I could help the team, so I am so proud....I love Liverpool, both of my children were born here and it’s very difficult to leave.”

Keep in mind though, as the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words and Vladi’s reaction to his goal and then his successful spot kick in the shootout tell you everything you need to know about the man. The images of Gerrard holding up the European Cup or pumping up the team after scoring his header tend to be remembered as the defining memories of that day, and for good reason. For me personally though, the image of Vladimir Smicer kissing the crest that he treasured so much after scoring the telling penalty in the shootout, his final kick as a Liverpool player, reminds me of just how special this club is and what it means to people. You don’t have to be the greatest player in the world but that doesn’t mean you can’t work hard and become a hero, Vladimir Smicer is living proof of that.
I just loved how Smicer kissed the crest after that spot kick !
Jamie Carragher, 1997-

In honour of his record breaking appearance coming up against Fulham, I thought I’d share some thoughts on the man at the heart of our defence, Jamie Carragher. Jamie has been an integral part of Liverpool Football Club ever since he helped win the FA Youth Cup back in 1996.

His career has been nothing short of remarkable. In fact, in his first full start for the first team Jamie did the unthinkable. Something so amazing that even now it’s hard to believe that it was Jamie....He scored. Sadly, Carragher could not maintain his impressive early scoring record but the boyhood Evertonian became an important part of the squad as he provided a lot of versatility. He could play defensive midfield, centre back or either full back positions.

It was his move into centre back alongside the great Sami Hyypia after the departure of the reliable Stephane Henchoz that made Jamie great. In my opinion, the added responsibility and consistency in his role helped him to play a massive role in what became one of the best defensive units in Liverpool’s history.

Jamie has never been the most talented player, and certainly not the quickest. In fact, his lack of pace has undoubtedly been his Achilles heel. The great thing about Jamie is that I have never seen that stop him from trying. Opposition strikers may outpace him or outplay him, but they will never outwork him or break his determination. In my tribute to Vladimir Smicer I mentioned that famous Shankly quote about running through a brick wall and coming out fighting. Jamie’s the type of guy who would run through the wall and then yell at his teammates to do the same, and they would listen because you can’t help but respect him. The man is all heart and passion, which are the attributes you need to be a leader, or to play as many games as he has at the highest level.

Here’s what others have said about him:

“Jamie has a fantastic commitment every day in training and in every game he plays. For a manager to see that is brilliant. He is a strong character, he’s a winner and he loves football” –Rafael Benitez.

“Carragher is ten times a better defender than I could ever be....I think if we look at Liverpool greats over the years – and there have been a lot of them – Carragher is up there with the best of them.” – Alan Hansen.

“Every club needs someone like Carra. You can’t buy team spirit and with him around the atmosphere in the dressing room is always brilliant.” – Chris Kirkland.

“Jamie has matured into a world class central defender and deserves every accolade thrown his way. He may have enjoyed some fantastic successes on the pitch but he has never forgotten where he has come from. And it is so refreshing that people like him still exist.” – John Aldridge.

And on a lighter note:
“Although you’ve got a mix of German, Swiss and Finnish in the back four, we all speak to each other in English. The only problem though is that none of us can understand Jamie Carragher!” – Stephane Henchoz.

If you want a specific example of Carra’s importance to Liverpool Football Club, think back to that epic Champions League campaign in 2005. We all know it was the goals from Stevie and Luis Garcia that got us to the final and the heroics of the entire team in Istanbul made that triumph one of the best but there is an important factor that I don’t think we should forget. We never would have made that final if Jamie hadn’t put in the finest performance of his career in the semi against Chelsea. You would be hard pressed to find a better individual performance from a defender. As Stevie said after that game, “What a performance, this guy put in an immense performance, unbelievable.” That’s Jamie Carragher for you though. He made a habit out of the unbelievable. He is determination personified. Don’t believe me? Just ask anyone who saw him play against Blackburn in the ’03-’04 season. Lucas Neill lunged in with a tackle and broke Jamie’s leg. How did Jamie react? He stood up and tried to play on. Not the smartest thing to do but I would hate to be the one to tell Carra that he couldn’t go on. He is a hero after all.

You'll Never Walk Alone Carragher ! A true red legend
Love CarraGOLD and the picture
Carragher a real warrior. Never knew the story of him getting his leg broken and trying to play on, epic! Go on Carra I hope you keep on keepin on this year. You are a true legend
"If I've played nearly 700 games for Liverpool, it means someone else has been on the bench showing respect for me, so I have no problem when it is the other way around. I am at one of the biggest teams in the world, a club which is looking for players in every country. We're not some Mickey Mouse club short of top-class players so to have been able to go straight back into the team every time for so long has been a great achievement" - Jamie Carragher

Link: www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/carra-i-have-t...

Gotta' respect that...
LORDETHAN1997 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Brilliant, Carragher gets alot of

Hassle about fouling but never gets into fights, well not that iv'e
Heard of anyway, he's a brilliant defender can't get any better. Long live Jamie!
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Some tweets about our Anfield Scouse Warrior Jamie:

Link: www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/15-years-of-c...

"In Turin, Milan and Barcelona as well as on countless exhilarating evenings at Anfield he has kept out Drogba, foiled the likes of Nedved and subdued footballing greats such as Raul, Del Piero and Ronaldinho."

"But one certain duel, on one particular night will live longer than any other in the memories of adoring Carra fans. His performance in Istanbul in May 2005 and his efforts to thwart European Player of the Year Andriy Shevchenko, cemented his status as an Anfield legend."

A little humor about our scouse hero: "No matter what peak I've enjoyed on the pitch, Philly Carragher has ensured himself a comical supporting role off it," said Carragher.

In 2006, The Independent agreed: "When it comes to partying for England, no one can touch the Liverpudlian Carragher clan. There are about 20 of them in Germany, with a strike force led by Jamie's dad Philly - or 'Carra' as his own entourage affectionately knows him."

Jamie continued: "His influence on my career is there for everyone to see. He brought me up to be a winner and he's been alongside me every step on the path to success as a footballer. I've been taught family and friends are the most important things in your life."

All I can say is that it's been a privilege to have had Carragher on our team and fighting for the Liverpool cause. Local scouser who can relate with the fans and really embodies everything about our beloved club! Thanks for everything Jamie, a true local HERO

You'll Never Walk Alone
Link: www.footylounge.com/films//milankakabaros/steven-g...

Just found this exquisite video of our wonderful captain fantastic... Steven Gerrard FTW YNWA
Nice. Its good to have tributes to Stevie in video form because I don't think anyone can find the words needed to sum up what that man has meant to this club, unless they write a 30 page review of his career
Just can't get enough of Gerrard ! Hope to see him back in action soon
Fantastic video of Gerrard, enough can't be said about the guy. All I know is he loves the club with all his heart and he would do anything for LFC. You can see it in the way he makes tackles, the way he wears the armband with such immense pride, the way he always scores late goals and never gives up, you can see it in his face when he scores a goal. We love you Stevie G YNWA

P. S. Whenever I watch him as well, I always think.... What a nightmare it would be to play against this guy hahahaha
Dietmar Hamann

1999-2006
280 games, 11 goals.

Dietmar "Didi" Hamann will be remembered as one of the most consistent and reliable performers ever to play for Liverpool.

He started playing professionally in his home country of Germany where he made a name for himself as a utility player, constantly filling in for injured players and performing well. It was this consistent level of performance that led to Kenny Dalglish bringing him to the Premier League, signing him to Newcastle United for 5.5million pounds.

After just one season in black and white, where he scored five goals in 31 games, Didi moved to Liverpool for 8million pounds. It didn't take long before he established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the game and a vital part of Gerard Houlliers team.

Didi's reliability and team ethic was soon rewarded with silverware as he played a vital role in the treble winning season in 2000-01. Then, in the 2005 Champions League Final, Hamann consolidated his spot in Liverpool folklore. 

The match is seen as the defining moment of the clubs recent history and much has been made of the leadership of Steven Gerrard on that night but the arrival of Hamann at the start of the second half turned the game on it's head. He didn't provide the goals or the spectacle, that wasnt Didi's style. Instead he did what he always did. He took control of the match out of the hands of the opposition and allowed his teammates to stage that now famous comeback.

Then, in the penalty shootout, Didi converted the ever important first kick and set the team on the way to glory. The significant thing about Hamann was that no Liverpool supporter had any doubt he would. 

Now, if you still doubt the magnitude of his performance on that night consider the revelation discovered later. Hamann had played the entire second half, extra time and took that penalty with a broken foot. That summed up Didi perfectly. He never made a fuss, you would never see him showboat. He was a professional in every sense of the word and is much loved because of it. 

Recently he was named manager of Stockport after time as an assistant under Sven Goran Erikson at Leicester and stated that he would love to be manager of Liverpool one day. Any supporter who followed his career wouldn't mind having him back either .

I'll finish the tribute with the best of the lot. Check out this goal against Portsmouth....

One of my favorite Liverpool players to ever wear the reds shirt in my time of watching the club, besides Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Peter Crouch, Xabi Alonso, Dirk Kuyt and I must admit Fernando Torres in his time(although I took the name off my Carlsberg jersey so it now just has the number nine on the back) Suarez is up there now as well was Djibril Cisse. I love the guy, he is still one of my favorite players and I follow him around Europe. He alongside Gerrard are one of my idols at the club. Whenever I played FIFA in the last couple years, if I wasn't playing with Liverpool or Celtic or Marseilles, I would play with Panathiniakos and people would think, what is he doing? And than I would say haha Djibril Cisse your done, and score a brace or a hat trick

But it is his time at Liverpool that I cherish so much. Scoring a penalty in the champions league final after breaking your leg, it's inspiring, can you imagine and I will never forget it. His blistering pace and powerful finishes in front of net, the celebrations he is just class. He scored lots of goals in cup finals, and was clutch for the club in his time here. The volley against West Ham gave us hope, granted it was probably one of the best balls I have ever seen from Steven Gerrard, but what a finish. Or scoring that goal off a free kick against Blackburn, shaking Rafa's hand afterward. For a while a picture of Djibril holding good old big ears without his shirt was my profile pic. Just a true legend, and a true Red we will never forget you Cisse

Fowlerred23 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson, Ian Rush, Ronnie Whelan, Jan Molby, John Barnes, John Aldridge, Jamie Redknapp, Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore, John Arne Riise, Dieter Hamman, Xabi Alonso...
.... Just to name a few, lol.
Each of those names has a special place in the history of this great club. Wish we could have them all at their peak at once huh?
Maybe we should post our dream XI of former players

---------------------------Grobelaar---------------------------
Neal---------------Hansen------Hyppia------------Riise
McManaman---Souness----Redknapp-----Barnes
----------------------Dalglish-----Rush----------------------
Gerrardistanbul (Liverpool) 3 years ago
---------------------------Clemence------------------------------
MacKinlay------Hansen-------Carragher------Kennedy
----------Callaghan-------Gerrard---------Barnes-----------
-----------Dalglish-----------Rush------------Hunt--------------

Subs: Hyypia, Hodgson, Souness, Reina, Heighway
Manager: Shankly
Heres my favourite XI, based on the players I watched growing up:

----------------------------------Reina-----------------------
Finnan--------------Carragher-----Hyypia------Riise
McManaman----- Gerrard-------Hamann----Berger
-------------------------Kuyt-----------Fowler--------------

Subs: Grobelaar, Babbel, Henchoz, McAllister, Redknapp, Owen, Torres

My all time dream XI though is this:

---------------------------Clemence-----------------------
-------Neal--------Hansen-------Hyypia------- Jones
Callaghan-------Gerrard------Souness-----Barnes
---------------------Dalglish----------Rush----------------

Subs: Reina, Hughes, Carragher, McManaman, Redknapp, Keegan, Fowler

(Honourable mentions to Aldridge, Toshack, Hunt, Heighway.... I could go on and on actually....)
My subs would be Fowler, Torres, Owen, Collymore, Aldridge, Keegan & Hunt ;P
I don't know about that bench, your mindset is too defensive.... What are you going to do if you're a goal down in a game? Who will provide that extra attacking threat?
Danny Murphy
1997 - 2004
246 appearances, 44 goals.

Signed from Crewe Alexandra, Danny Murphy overcame initial doubts about his abilities to firmly establish himself as one of the integral members of Gerard Houllier's Liverpool.

His return of 44 goals in 246 appearances in his seven year career on Merseyside is particularly impressive considering the competition he faced for a regular spot in the team from the likes of Steven Gerrard, Dietmar Hamann, Nick Barmby and Gary McAllister.

He would perhaps be better remembered had he not missed out on England's 2002 world cup campaign with a metatarsal injury after being selected in the final squad.

Misfortune aside, Murphy will be remembered as a consistent and often spectacular midfielder with great leadership qualities. These qualities are currently on display at Fulham where he is captain.

However, his place in the hearts of Kopites is assured thanks to his uncanny ability to score winning goals at Old Trafford, the home of bitter rivals Manchester United. Remarkably, Murphy struck the winning goal in hard fought 1-0 victories at the venue on three occasions in the space of just four seasons.

2000-01

(Houllier loves it)

2001-02

Then in 2004, he converted a penalty to once again give Liverpool a 1-0 win. (highlights of which appear to be missing from the Internet, lol)

Those goals alone are enough to be considered a hero in my eyes.
Luis Garcia (2004-2007)
121 appearances, 30 goals

In August 2004, Liverpool went looking for a replacement for winger/forward El Hadji Diouf who had established a reputation as one of the most maligned players to ever play in the Premier League. It was quite a contrast when Liverpool found a replacement in Spaniard Luis Garcia. Garcia didn't take long to establish himself as a cult hero, one of the most beloved players for Liverpool in the modern era.

I remember in his debut game he almost made the perfect impact but unfortunately had a goal disallowed incorrectly for offside. By the end of his debut season though he had seven in the league. Most memorably was his winner against Everton in the Merseyside Derby (instant hero anyone?)

Despite this, it wasn't the league where Luis won the undying love of the Anfield faithful, it was exploits in Europe that truly made him legendary. After scraping through the Champions League group stage on the back of Steven Gerrard's strike against Olympiakos ("You Beauuuuutyyyy....") the Reds were paired with Bayer Leverkusen. The German side was in good form in Europe yet Liverpool claimed a 3-1 win in the first leg  at Anfield. The return leg  in Germany loomed as a danger fixture after a Jerzy Dudek error late in the first leg gave the Germans an away goal. However, in a blistering four minute period, Garcia scored twice and booked his clubs spot in the quarter finals.

The Reds were drawn against Italian giants Juventus in the final eight and no  t many  people gave us a chance. Underdog status had suited  us fine up until then and the ultimate underdog was Luis Garcia. It was his moment of sheer brilliance that added to Sami Hyypia's early goal and set Liverpool on their way to the semi finals and a step closer to the ultimate glory.

The semi final against Chelsea was a tense, defensive affair and only one goal separated the sides after two legs....A goal (albeit a controversial one) belonging to that man Luis Garcia. The win set Liverpool on their way to arguably the biggest night in the clubs history. It sent them to Istanbul. Luis didn't score in that remarkable final but without him the Reds never would've got there at all.

Luis Garcia is one of the most loved players we have ever hand....Which is damn impressive considering some of the legends that have worn that shirt. 
He was quick, he was clever and he possessed an ability to head the ball better than anyone his size should be able to. At times he frustrated with his decision making and finishing but he always made up for it with his never-say-die attitude. The fact that all of his goals were outrageously spectacular helped as well . He always held the club and the fans as close to his heart as the fans did with him. Its always great to have quality footballers in your team but its even better when they are quality human beings as well. 

Therefore, it is incredibly sad that his Liverpool career ended with an ACL injury in a League Cup game against Arsenal. He was out for six months, missed the end of the 06-07 season and then was sold to Athletico Madrid in one of the most surprising and disappointing transfers of recent times. After leaving, Garcia published a letter to all Liverpool supporters thanking them for the support and the memories. It was a class act from a class player and the feelings were certainly mutual. It confirmed what all supporters already knew: Luis Garcia is a Kop idol....A hero....A legend....

Bruce Grobbelaar (1981-1994)
440 appearances

Grobbelaar had the daunting task of replacing the legendary Ray Clemence but managed to become an ever present for over ten years under the management of Paisley, Fagan & Dalglish.

In 14 years at the club, he had won six league title medals, three FA Cup winner's medal, three Football League Cup winner's medals and a European Cup winner's medal.

He is most famous for his jelly legs that helped secure the European Cup (champions league) against AS Roma and this was a perfect example of his cheeky & confident attitude even in a champions league penalty shoot out!

Bruce Grobbelaar YNWA

Ah yes.... Grobbelaar and his wobbly legs.... Inspired Jerzy Dudek to do the same in Istanbul and it worked again. Bruce was such an erratic character.... He was almost a parody of the eccentric goalkeeper stereotype. He was capable of horror mistakes and utter brilliance.... Often within just minutes of each other. Great player, great entertainer and hero for sure
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
Loved the way Grobbelaar used to sit on top of the crossbar and watch the matches...
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I'll put in my contribution. My favourite player at Liverpool is Stevie G, but as his story at Liverpool is still continuing, I'm going to instead write about another hero in Red that I admired.

Xabi Alonso (2004 - 2009)
143 appearances, 15 goals

Alonso was signed by Rafa Benitez back in 2004, arriving at the same time as Luis Garcia. Alonso made his debut in the 1-0 loss to Bolton on the 29th August, 2004, and although Liverpool lost that game, Alonso received heaps of praise for his passing skills. He then scored his first goal from a free kick against Fulham after coming on as a substitute, and contributed heavily to the 4-2 win. Alonso was also well remembered in the second leg of the champions league qualifiers against Juventus, when Stevie G was injured, and Alonso himself was not at full fitness. The game ended in a 0-0 draw, but Alonso was praised with the Guardian saying "This marvellously accomplished footballer testified in the Stadio delle Alpi that technique can overcome a serious physical disadvantage". Alonso then began to settle in well to English life, and built a great partnership in the CM with Gerrard.

One of the most memorable moments, however, was yet to come. In 2005, trailing 3-2 to AC Milan, Alonso took a free kick that was deflected by Milan goalkeeper Dida, but the rebound from Dida fell back to Alonso and he scored the goal that in regular time, brought Liverpool's hopes back, putting the score to 3-3. Liverpool, as we all know, won the penalty shootout 3-2, and the champions league trophy that year. Alonso himself said at the time "This is the best moment in my professional career".

In 2005-06, Alonso's season was marred by injury, but he had a few memorable moments, such as scoring 2 goals in the 5-2 win against Luton Town - one from 45 yards, the other 65 yards - and get this (for a bit of trivia) - a Liverpool fan won £25,000 from a £200 bet on Alonso scoring from within his own half as a result. Alonso then contributed to the FA Cup final victory against West Ham, but sadly couldn't play the entire game due to injury.

Another memorable goal came in the 2006-07 season, where Alonso scored a goal from 70 yards against Newcastle - known today as the longest range goal ever scored in open play. Alonso said after the game "I think this (goal) was better. The Luton goal bounced a few times, this one went quite straight. The Luton one was left-footed - it was different - but I am quite happy to score the goal". Alonso also showed that he was passionate to play as a Red, and in playing football, when he said this after suffering a metatarsal tear - "I had been feeling a bit tired around that time because it was only my first game back and the match was very fast. But as a player you don't want to come off, particularly when the team is winning and I stayed on." In 2007-08, he faced stiff competition for his place from Lucas and Mascherano, but Benitez assured him of a place in his midfield.

In the 2008-09 season, there were rumours flying all over the place that Alonso would leave Anfield, due to the dreaded rumour that Benitez wanted to bring in Gareth Barry. Personally why, I don't know, Barry is and always will be inferior to the likes of Alonso and Gerrard. However, Alonso got a heap of positive reinforcement to stay from fans, saying "[The fans] couldn't have done more to show me how they felt.... If I went out for lunch or a coffee, there was always someone who would come over and say, 'We'd love you to stay'. I'm just glad that, in the end, nothing came of it [the transfer] because it wasn't something I ever asked for." The upcoming season showed Alonso's skills - on 11 December stats revealed that he was the first Premier League player to complete 1000 successful passes in the season.

Sadly however, due to the Gareth Barry incident that Rafa Benitez incurred, and the unsettlement that came about as a result between Benitez and Alonso, Alonso then transferred to Real Madrid for £24.3 million - much to the horrible disappointment to every Red fan (myself included) and the worst mistake that Benitez made, as it contributed to his eventual downfall from Liverpool. However, Alonso last season commented that he would consider a chance to come back to Liverpool, saying "Why not? At the moment I don't know what is going to happen, but it could be a possibility. Never say never."

Alonso was a fantastic player for the Reds - committed, hardworking, tough, creative and damn....Those long range shots, priceless memories those.

And finally, a few of youtube clips of Alonso as a Red. The first one is by far the most memorable one - his 70 yard goal against Newcastle in 2006: -

The second one is the goal against Luton City in the FA Cup in 2005: -

And finally, Alonso's first goal as a Red against Fulham in 2004: -

Xabi Alonso - wish you were still a Red mate, but thanks for the memories!

Catheyr88 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Good God I remember that goal he scored from beyond the half way line, it was amazing! I think it was a candidate for goal of the season
Jatin666 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Alonso score from his own half in 2 consecutive games?
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 3 years ago
This thread has gone pretty quiet of late, so I'm going to re-ignite it with another legend of the Kop.

Sami Hyypiä (1999-2009)
318 appearances, 22 goals, 10 trophies

In 1999, Hyypiä was signed by Liverpool, the team he supported as a boy, for the small sum of £2.6 million. Because Hyypiä was an unknown to Liverpool at that stage, many dismissed him as one that would not live up to expectations, let alone make the starting XI. However, that was dismissed when Hyypiä formed a successful central defensive partnership with fellow arrival Stéphane Henchoz.

Hyypiä in the 2000-2001 season shared the captaincy with that of Robbie Fowler during the time that Jamie Redknapp, the then full-time captain, was suffering from a long-term injury. During that season, Hyypiä and Fowler led the team to a cup treble: the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup and the Football League Cup. He also claimed three consecutive FAF Finnish Footballer of the Year awards from 2001–2003.

In the 2002-03 season, Hyypiä became first choice Liverpool captain after Redknapp and Fowler departed the club. However, the season was a distinctive lowpoint as Hyypiä underperformed throughout the season, and the first-choice captaincy in 2003 went from Hyypiä to current LFC first choice Steven Gerrard. With some of the pressure lifted, Hyypiä's performances improved. However, 2003 marked the lowest point in Hyypiä's career, as he received his sole red card after fouling then Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.commenting on the red card, Hyypiä stated “Van Nistelrooy was going through and maybe I took his shirt a little bit. The referee thought so. I got a straight red card. They got a penalty. It was an agony to watch the game in the dressing room. The only red card of my career. You remember that sort of thing.”

In 2004 upon the arrival of Rafa Benitez, Hyypiä was partnered up with Jamie Carragher in central defence, and together it became one of the greatest defence partnerships in the club. It reignited Hyypiä, and in 2005, Liverpool won the UEFA champions league grand final on the basis of their partnership and solid defending.

In the 2005-06 season, Hyypiä was made third choice captain due to the rise of Jamie Carragher. It was a season to remember for Hyypiä, as he scored the opening goal in the first minute of Liverpool's 7-0 thumping of Birmingham in the 6th round of the FA Cup, he was part of the team in the FA Cup grand final victory over West Ham, and he climbed into the top 25 in the club’s all-time appearances table.

In 2007, Hyypiä broke his nose in a match against Sunderland, but the injury didn't stop him, as he returned a few days later for a champions league match against Tolouse, in which he took the captaincy in the absence of Gerrard and Carragher, and scored a goal in the match. Shows his toughness as a defender!

In April 2008, Hyypiä signed a one-year extension on his contract as Benitez believed that Hyypiä was a great role model and teacher to the then-younger defenders Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. This was on the back of Hyypiä making it to the list of the top 20 Liverpool FC player appearances of all time. He also made it to 19th place in Sky Sports’ Top 50 Premier League Foreign Players, 45th in FourFourTwo magazine's 100 Greatest Foreign Players, and 38th in Liverpool’s 100 Players Who Shook the Kop survey.

However, sadly in 2008-09, due to the then-new UEFA regulations that clubs "had to include at least eight home-grown players in their squad", Hyypiä announced that it would be his last season at Liverpool, and that he would then move on to play for German club Bayer 04 Leverkusen. Liverpool had offered him the chance to stay at Anfield in a coaching capacity but Hyypiä wanted to keep on playing, though he expressed interest in returning to Liverpool as a coach once he had retired from playing.

Hyypiä played his final match for Liverpool at Anfield against Tottenham Hotspur on 24 May 2009, coming on as a substitute to replace captain Steven Gerrard after 84 minutes in their 3–1 victory. Gerrard passed the captain’s armband to him, personally putting it onto Hyypiä’s arm. During what remained of the match, Hyypiä managed to get a header from a corner kick in the dying minutes of the game but the attempt was blocked by Gomez. After the match ended, an emotional Hyypiä received a standing ovation from Liverpool fans and his teammates held him aloft.

When Roy Hodgson became the Liverpool manager in 2010 rumors began to circulate that he was determined to bring Hyypiä back to Liverpool. The transfer fell through as reportedly Hodgson could not get Hyypiä out of his contract with Leverkusen.

Hyypiä retired last season, but now is an assistant manager at Leverkusen. Hyypiä was described as a "bargain buy, a steal" and "one of the best buys Liverpool has ever made". He was a fantastic and committed defender who inspired the likes of Agger and Skrtel, and continues to inspire at Leverkusen. I hope one day he returns back to Liverpool in a coaching role.

And finally, here are some tribute youtube clips of Hyypiä's talent: -

This one shows Hyypiä shutting down Rooney and Tevez so well: -

Hyypiä scoring a goal from a free kick from Steven Gerrard: -

And finally, Hyypiä coming onto the field in place of Steven Gerrard in his final game: -

Oooooooohhhhhhh Sami Sami, Sami Sami Sami Sami Hyypiä!
Sami....My second favourite player of all time. Thanks for this mate. Heres another awesome video of him:

Kick4Life - changing lives through football