Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Zidane Not Good Enough For Newcastle United And Blackburn Rovers
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
I read this today, and I was amazed!
When Zinedine Zidane was bound to leave Bordeaux in 1996, his agent Barry Silkman approached Newcastle United, and offered to sign his client for 1.2 million pounds.
"“i offered him to Newcastle at the beginning of the 1996 season for £1.2million. And they watched him and said that he wasn’t good enough to play in the First Division which is the Championship now.
Three months later Juventus signed him for the same amount, and in 2001 sold him to Real Madrid for 48 million pounds.Newcastle's manager was Keving Keegan at the time.
Prior to this, in 1995, former Blackburn Rovers owner Jack Walker denied possibility of his side signing Zidane:" Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?", was his comment.
Still laughing!

Source: Link: www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/35533/Agent_reveals_...
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Sometimes even the big fish slip through your nets. Was a horrible misjudgement on part of the Magpies. Who the hell is Tim Sherwood!?
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
He's a former Blackburn (cpt) and Totterham player. Midfield enforcer someone like Keane
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Never heard this before.... Objectively speaking, I guess if Zidane played for Newcastle / Blackburd he will never be called one of the best footballers in the world
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
That's true
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
At the time both Newcastle and Blackburn were excellent sides. Blackburn won the league, in fact.comparable to Chelsea now. Some of the best international players available at that time were playing for them
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
They were strong Premiership sides at the time, but I guess this might be one of the reasons they are not anymore...
Lampuiho (Arsenal) 6 months ago
Zidane playing alongside Shearer would be great stuff to watch

Kick4Life - changing lives through football